IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Front 2015 - Surprise!

gsytch

Forecasts are trending downwards for Thur/Fri as that piece of arctic air is set to intrude upon our beautiful weather. Hard to believe there will be freeze warnings in north Tampa Bay, as today was 83F with a dewpoint of 70F, just like yesterday. Tomorrow is suppose to be the same. Hinting at a freeze for inland Pasco/NE Hillsborough possible. Up and down, up and down. :yay::yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Forecasts put me bottoming out at 42 F, which wouldn't be too bad. January typically is when we get our nastiest cold, and it's been a pretty good one so far, so I'm hopeful. It's been an 11a winter for me so far, with our lowest temps in November not going below 40 F, so I'm hoping the trend continues!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Read this forecast earlier.. not fully convinced but watching closely. 84F on this side of the Skyway today.. About as perfect as "winter" gets.

-Nathan-

I hope you Florida guys don't get hosed like us Californians just did. Of course minus the snow.

post-7434-0-88552200-1420334070_thumb.jp

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Having made numerous trips through your neck of the woods while living in CA, still can't believe you guys saw snow. Hopefully any damage is minimal.

Mom has pictures somewhere of a freak snowfall on the ground where I grew up in San Jose. Think I was 2 when It happened. Yuck, lol.

-Nathan-

Keep an eye on the forecast, they just dropped our lows from 27 to 23.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Having made numerous trips through your neck of the woods while living in CA, still can't believe you guys saw snow. Hopefully any damage is minimal.

Mom has pictures somewhere of a freak snowfall on the ground where I grew up in San Jose. Think I was 2 when It happened. Yuck, lol.

-Nathan-

The snow on the valley floor isn't as bad as the two times I remember since moving to the area when we had the ground covered in hail, pretty good sized too.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Possibly down to 47F Wed or Thursday night.. then back into the 70's by the weekend. Have been anticipating some sort of cold blast based on a quick and shallow dip in both the NAO and AO.

WestCoastGal, Remember a few occasions like that and snow pellets briefly coating the ground once. Remember a surprise spring storm that dropped dime sized hail around the Santa Teressa area also. That being said.. nothing compares to walking out your front door to the sight and sound of ice colored ping pong balls bouncing 6' into the air.. and off your head. Just another spring day in Kansas, lol.

-Nathan-

The storm plowed through here and gave us 1/4" of snowfall.. after forecasting 2-4". the cloud cover warmed us up a bit when it arrived but no snow totals like they were predicting.

Flagstaff, Arizona got 17 inches of snow... but as a comparison Temecula got more than we did- perhaps Tucson too.. Cold though.. and I saw the lowest (thus far) for the season at 15F.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

The models are trending downwards, especially Thursday morning, and then the warming begins Thurs over night into Friday. I, too, exp

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

mine is actually trending upwards to 51F right now. By looking at the wind direction forecast it looks like a fast system and the cold overnight air will be coming out of the NNE, which is why the east coast looks okay but the west may see 30's.

Brevard County, Fl

Right now we are forecasted to hit 49 Wednesday night here in Cape Coral, I will take that!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Coldest morning of the season in S.E Houston this morning with 34F. The air is dry with a breeze so no frost. Temps have been running around 10 degrees below normal in Houston for at least a week now due to the dip in the jet that pounded southern California. Thursday morning a low of 31 predicted. The forecast for the second week of January is for more of a zonal flow across the US with temps returning to normal for the season,finally.

Ed in Houston

It's January in the Northern Hemisphere. Nasty cold season, even here in the land of La La.

The tarp is off for now, but not folded up for the "off season" which is usually, thankfully, pretty long.

Sorry to hear about northern San Diego County. We missed that, and I'm not gloating. That bullet was way too close. Yesterday was warm and lovely, the first day in a while like that. mid-70s in the afternoon. Ah, what I came here for!

Still, be vigilant. The Big Freeze of 2007 was in mid-January. We're a ways from that yet.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wed. night ranging from 25-27 .......looks like it will come through quick....Thur. night back above freezing...banana's and aroids were already starting to come back after our fall freeze.....typical January cold front....nothing extraordinary for here. March can't come quick enough.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wed. night ranging from 25-27 .......looks like it will come through quick....Thur. night back above freezing...banana's and aroids were already starting to come back after our fall freeze.....typical January cold front....nothing extraordinary for here. March can't come quick enough.

NOAA is now predicting 29 and blustery at my place. There goes the bananas and ariods if it comes to be.

Ed in Houston

Forecast here moderated a bit, but still showing 26 first night and 30 second night.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Forecast here moderated a bit, but still showing 26 first night and 30 second night.

The November cold spells hit more directly east of Houston and the California cold was more west. This one looks to be more east again than Texas.

Ed in Houston

The models are trending downwards, especially Thursday morning, and then the warming begins Thurs over night into Friday. I, too, exp

The forecast for me is also trending downwards. From this thread we can see different model predictions are all over the place. This concerns me as to the uncertainty. Best thing to do is to prepare for the worse. Seen this before and the result were temps way lower then forecast-ed .... :bummed:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Yep, dropped the projected low back down to 24. But moved 2nd night up to 33. Some bad and some good.

Wed. 25....Thur. 30.....Fri 32 ........hmm calling for 3 nights now.....is this thing going to stall for awhile over central Fl?

Gets easier to set up every time. 15-20 minutespost-97-0-62405100-1420556242_thumb.jpg

I'm not worried about this at all. In central Florida, a winter without something pushing the freezing mark would be unusual. I'd expect something several degrees colder than this event before Feb 1.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

As another note, it is like we are all having a competition to see who ranks as a better location by who had the minimal lows. It is like a game we can play.

Brevard County, Fl

NOAA has raised the forecast for SE Houston from 29 to 31 on Thursday morning. Weather underground is now forecasting 25 for New Orleans with NOAA forecasting 26 for the French Quarter. Round and round she goes and where she lands nobody knows. Trending worse towards the east?

Ed in Houston

David, models are sure moving around. I am now at 24,32,32 for 3 nights. Tough first night with 10 hours below freezing, but at least we might not have hour after hour below freezing the following nights. That is when the damage gets really bad.

The pool isn't heated yet.....wish it was....will put some space heaters under there when temps expected to go below freezing.

The "who has the warmest weather game" is very popular.

Keith...you are just about my best indicator of what to expect here..... the guys in Gainesville look to my weather in turn to get a play by play of what they might expect.

As another note, it is like we are all having a competition to see who ranks as a better location by who had the minimal lows. It is like a game we can play.

Well you're winning for this round. Forecasts have been holding at 42 F for a while. It probably won't hurt any of my palms, but I'll probably bring some potted stuff indoors just to be sure.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

44F forecasted Thursday morning, maybe.. Seeing that this side of Bradenton is surrounded by water, let alone with all the lakes in the neighborhood, I just don't think we'll reach the forecasted low. Even so, not planning on moving anything including all the palm seedlings. More "sensitive" stuff is already well protected in my germination boxes. Everything else won't skip a beat. If anything, these brief, cool breaks are helping to slow down stuff that is awakening from dormancy weeks ahead of schedule.

Beyond Thursday, temps warms right back into the middle/upper 70's by Sunday and thus far looks to stay between 66- 75F for the next 10 days... Perhaps right into the middle of February IF Accuweather's current extended holds up. NAO and AO are positive and look to stay up for now. Overall pattern looks to flip sometime next week bringing a "January thaw" to much of the country.

Interesting that a lot of Oaks and Maples locally are already blooming/leafing out, as are all the Yellow Trumpet Trees at work. Passing them the other day, I noticed flower buds on the large Red Kapok trees in front of the Bradenton Herald's property are already swelling.. Have a feeling spring is coming early this year.

-Nathan-

16- Wednesday night. Awesome.

Barely above freezing for Thursday during the day. All my potted plants are inside already. Wash. Robusta and Livistona Chinensis has frost blanket and heaters on standby. Sabal in my front yard and the rest in my neighborhood are laughing at the frost blankets.

The pool isn't heated yet.....wish it was....will put some space heaters under there when temps expected to go below freezing.

The "who has the warmest weather game" is very popular.

Keith...you are just about my best indicator of what to expect here..... the guys in Gainesville look to my weather in turn to get a play by play of what they might expect.

David - A body of water that size takes many days of cold to drop its temperature. The radiant heat will be there. :wub2: Love the set up - only a palm-a-phile would come up with such a brilliant idea. :greenthumb:

16- Wednesday night. Awesome.

Barely above freezing for Thursday during the day. All my potted plants are inside already. Wash. Robusta and Livistona Chinensis has frost blanket and heaters on standby. Sabal in my front yard and the rest in my neighborhood are laughing at the frost blankets.

Let them laugh - they are clueless. :bummed: Nick you'll be the one laughing come summer enjoying the tropical ambiance your palms provide. :greenthumb:

44F forecasted Thursday morning, maybe.. Seeing that this side of Bradenton is surrounded by water, let alone with all the lakes in the neighborhood, I just don't think we'll reach the forecasted low. Even so, not planning on moving anything including all the palm seedlings. More "sensitive" stuff is already well protected in my germination boxes. Everything else won't skip a beat. If anything, these brief, cool breaks are helping to slow down stuff that is awakening from dormancy weeks ahead of schedule.

Beyond Thursday, temps warms right back into the middle/upper 70's by Sunday and thus far looks to stay between 66- 75F for the next 10 days... Perhaps right into the middle of February IF Accuweather's current extended holds up. NAO and AO are positive and look to stay up for now. Overall pattern looks to flip sometime next week bringing a "January thaw" to much of the country.

Interesting that a lot of Oaks and Maples locally are already blooming/leafing out, as are all the Yellow Trumpet Trees at work. Passing them the other day, I noticed flower buds on the large Red Kapok trees in front of the Bradenton Herald's property are already swelling.. Have a feeling spring is coming early this year.

-Nathan-

Nathan - Definitely a bizarre cold season. It appears that it is all about temperatures with these trees as opposed to length of sun light. Due to our cold events in November and an unseasonable warm December, I noticed both my mango trees blooming yesterday, way ahead of the "normal" schedule. :blink2: