IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

We are so hosed tonight

Justin

Unless something miraculous happens this afternoon, I can't fathom how we don't get a hard freeze tonight. As I write this, it's 40 degrees outside, during lunchtime. We had sleet an hour ago. Now, to make matters worse, it is clearing, and we're not supposed to have any cloud cover tonight to hold in all of the "warmth." Fingers crossed.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Sounds like you guys are going to have a really rough night. Comparatively we're at 53F now at noon, our winds cleared out late this a.m. but kept overnight lows to 43F (way warmer than originally forecast earlier). We've been dry. Sleet!? Yuck. At least it happened during the day when the sun can dry it out...or is that a bad thing? I bet lots of people down south were hitting the hardward stores. The frost cloth runs in December were northern Calif last year. Tonight we are expecting 32F here with little or no winds. Good luck.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

It seems like the jet stream was east of the bay area for this cold front and has curved back and had slammed LA and SD. usually its the other way around., Good luck to everyone.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Unless something miraculous happens this afternoon, I can't fathom how we don't get a hard freeze tonight. As I write this, it's 40 degrees outside, during lunchtime. We had sleet an hour ago. Now, to make matters worse, it is clearing, and we're not supposed to have any cloud cover tonight to hold in all of the "warmth." Fingers crossed.

Good luck Justin :bummed: its going to be a chiller!!

Sunset zone 24

Wow, 40F at noon. That's nasty! Let's hope the cold air mass keeps moving east and you guys down south don't freeze. I walked my dogs at midnight last night and it was pleasant despite the wind. It's 55F right now at 1 PM and we're supposed to stay above about 35F tonight.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Juts took a temp reading. Its 70.2 F here at my house in Carlsbad. and 65 F in the shade. The calm before the storm. The suns out and has really warmed up things.

Sunset zone 24

Hang in there all my California palmtalk friends.....as I write this looking at all my frozen looking palm protection cages.

Sorry to hear this. Were having some beautiful weather here and probably one of the warmest Decembers on record. That's why I live here and not there. :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Sorry to hear this. Were having some beautiful weather here and probably one of the warmest Decembers on record. That's why I live here and not there. :)

Can you send over some warmth?? :mrlooney:

Sunset zone 24

That's also why I bought in Pahoa, and haven't planted any new palms here in the last 4 years.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Juts took a temp reading. Its 70.2 F here at my house in Carlsbad. and 65 F in the shade. The calm before the storm. The suns out and has really warmed up things.

I hate to burst your bubble, and maybe you're just in an incredible microclimate, but looking on Weather Underground, there hasn't been a single weather station anywhere in Southern California reporting over 60 degrees today. The Huntington Beach pier tops out at 58. But again, maybe you're the one who is truly blessed.

Hang in there all my California palmtalk friends.....as I write this looking at all my frozen looking palm protection cages.

Could sure use some of those cages tonight.

Justin, it's very likely if the sun is heating up a secluded backyard concrete patio area and there is no wind. Out in the open it's not so warm.

weather report states it could be a freeze all the way to the coast tonight.

almost everyone on the forum in San Diego and adjacent areas could get hit

Edited by trioderob

I hate to burst your bubble, and maybe you're just in an incredible microclimate, but looking on Weather Underground, there hasn't been a single weather station anywhere in Southern California reporting over 60 degrees today. The Huntington Beach pier tops out at 58. But again, maybe you're the one who is truly blessed.

that was a joke aimed towards Matt B.. My actual temp at that particular moment was only 51.2 and 56.3 out in the open

Sunset zone 24

55 F at 3:32 pm.

No wind. Clear as a death knell bell.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

right now I'm currently reading 46.4 in the shade. Sorry if I confused everyone with my fake readings earlier. That was a joke aimed towards Matty B.

Sunset zone 24

Ahhhhhh, Dont ring it Dave...

Sunset zone 24

San Diego County Valleys Severe Watches & Warnings
Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch
Statement as of 1:20 PM PST on December 31, 2014
...Freeze warning in effect from 10 PM this evening to 8 am PST Thursday... ...Freeze watch in effect from Thursday evening through Friday morning...
The National Weather Service in San Diego has issued a freeze warning...which is in effect from 10 PM this evening to 8 am PST Thursday. A freeze watch has also been issued....in effect from Thursday evening through Friday morning.
* Temperature...lower 20s to lower 30s...coldest in low-lying valleys and wind sheltered areas.
* Timing...tonight through Thursday morning...and again Thursday night and Friday morning.
* Impacts...a freeze can kill crops and other sensitive outdoor plants. Bring pets indoors.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
A freeze warning means sub-freezing temperatures are imminent or highly likely. These conditions will kill crops and other sensitive vegetation.
Record Report
Statement as of 5:27 PM PST on December 30, 2014
...Lowest minimum temperature records broken or tied on Dec 30 2014 ...
Location new record old record period of record
Thermal 24 tied 24 in 1990 1950

Edited by Pando

It was really strange to wake up to snow this morning. I didn't even know until I was leaving for work at 5 am and I walked out to a surprise of 3 inches. Snow melted off now and palms seem to be fine but tonight is looking scary. I'm just hoping the wind keeps moving so the frost won't settle. Good news is parajubaea don't seem to have a problem with this weather haha.

Wow....sorry to hear it for our West Coast brethren. ....been perfect normal California here in Florida North...no freezing expected for the next 10 days.....March can't come quick enough.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

buckle up its going to get ugly I'm afraid. I'm showing 44F at 4:45 PM clear skies and the wind has died....the perfect :sick::badday::rant::crying::violin:

:lol2:

Carl

Vista, CA

Ahhhhhh, Dont ring it Dave...

Gonna have as happy a new year as possible. Tarp's up, beaming karma to everyone in SD and Riverside.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

49 degrees at 507pm. No wind at all...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Humidity is at 50% and dewpoint is at 30f, I'm predicting that will mitigate any extreme temps and we'll at least fare better than 2007. I remember in 2007 when the dew points where in the teens and we were loosing at least 15 degrees from sunset til sunrise.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Humidity is at 50% and dewpoint is at 30f, I'm predicting that will mitigate any extreme temps and we'll at least fare better than 2007. I remember in 2007 when the dew points where in the teens and we were loosing at least 15 degrees from sunset til sunrise.

2007 forecast predicted 26 in my area. I am showing 34 for this. Not worried. My plants are so juiced with Potassium they could handle the 20s :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'm guessing we are hosed here in AZ Phx area. Except we have clouds at the moment. It's 45 here now and tomorrow is supposed to be clear. It's gonna be death tomorrow.

My triangle and Cuban royal are too big to cover. Hopefully the string of lights help minimize major damage. Gonna be a big spring clean up this year I can already tell. My banana trees are already fried from nights past as well as one 4ft tall plumeria.

2007 forecast predicted 26 in my area. I am showing 34 for this. Not worried. My plants are so juiced with Potassium they could handle the 20s :)

Ahhh, so Potassium is the roids for palms? Is it too late to apply it?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

No way as bad as 2007. I was in the high 20's for hours back then with single digit humidity. I will get cosmetic damage but not 60% death of my garden like last time.

San Marcos CA

Off to the store to buy some bananas to feed to my palms. Hope it's not too late!!

Off to the store to buy some bananas to feed to my palms. Hope it's not too late!!

Wood ashes!

Here's a news pic of Lake Elsinore. Looks more like Cleveland.

Yike.

post-208-0-80302400-1420082034_thumb.jpg

Amazing

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

wow!! Great pic Dave.. I talked to Kevin weaver this afternoon and he said he got hammered with snow!! He also mentioned the temps were nowhere near what they were in 2007.

Sunset zone 24

is currently 44F with 46% humidity at my joint

Sunset zone 24