IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

hard freeze warning for Southern Cal..........

trioderob

51 Degrees at almost 7 PM and that's warmer than it was two hours ago. The winds are gusting though of course and, if they die down much tonight, then we'll see some plunge in temperatures. I hand watered a bunch of stuff this afternoon since the humidity levels are so low.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

im showing that ill see 30f. been down to 26f at my place before and that was 2 years ago. my palms are bigger and stronger now. BRING IT ON MOTHER NATURE!!!!!!

how did your palms do at 26F??
I didn't loose much but had quite a bit of damage. I learned that roystonea princeps was hardier than borinquena and Regia. Lost both of those but princeps only had minimal damage.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Here we are at 8:30 PM and it's still 50F. It's going to have to drop like a rock if it's going to get down to what the forecast calls for (35F).

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Here we are at 8:30 PM and it's still 50F. It's going to have to drop like a rock if it's going to get down to what the forecast calls for (35F).

Could happen if the wind stops :) Dew points in some areas around there are in the low 20s and 5 degrees per hour to the dew point can happen. I think the wind will keep going tonight and the risk would be tomorrow if anything. We got lucky up here with the energy going down south

50 at 9pm I think tomorrow night will be the bad one

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

According to wunderground my forecast is 40f tonight, 37f Weds and 39f on Thurs.

I will bring some seedlings in pots inside for the next couple of nights. But it isn't looking too nasty here in Laguna Hills.

Matty I would think you wouldn't be losing any sleep at your place. Stevetoad...good luck bro. Keep us posted.

35 at 6:45 with snow flakes falling. I'm at about 1600' elevation. The snow is melting when it hits the ground. I don't think there will be enough for a snowball fight for the kids.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

My friends dads house in temecula.

post-5835-0-96893400-1420038829_thumb.jp

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

post-4818-0-79220300-1420039703_thumb.jp

A few flakes still are falling. Some has stuck to vehicles and mulch. It is not sticking to the plants.

at my shop in encinitas its 39f and raining right now. when i left my house in santee at 6am it was 45f. weird stuff. normally that would be flipped.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

WOW. Didn't know they got snow...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

that photo from Temecula is insane- you could lose a lifetime of palm growing in one night.

I got 6/10 inch rain / melted hail

Edited by trioderob

Unbelievable snowfall, wow! It was crystal clear up here and I had a morning low of 37F since the winds died down.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

big time hail that is not melting !

with one of the most impressive nexrad signatures I have ever seen in San Diego

What's a NEXRAD?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

to me it's surprising because my low was around 45 degrees overnight. Didn't know there was that much of a temperature difference

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

My friends dads house in temecula. image.jpg

what's the altitude?
I'm in temecula now and there is 1-2" of snow everywhere. I think it is around 1500'. It is still 37 and feels like your in the mountains.post-4818-0-90695300-1420049047_thumb.jp

One of my customers pulled up. He lives in temecula and drove to fallbrook then to my shop in Encinitas. Still snow on his truck.

post-5835-0-82217200-1420052229_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-99049600-1420052259_thumb.jp

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

11:11 a.m., and the air is as clear as a fatwah, with a deadly, icy edge to the wind.

My tarp is ready, though.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

at my shop in encinitas its 39f and raining right now. when i left my house in santee at 6am it was 45f. weird stuff. normally that would be flipped.

this cold front has stayed pretty tight to the coast from all the radar images. looks like thats all going to change in a few hours

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

38F and a winter mix (rain & snow flakes) is falling here in Vista @ 11 AM. Tonight is going to be ugly.

Carl, what are your cross streets so I can get an idea of how far you are from me in Carlsbad?

Sunset zone 24

One of my customers pulled up. He lives in temecula and drove to fallbrook then to my shop in Encinitas. Still snow on his truck.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

wow!! Totally insane..!!

Sunset zone 24

Here is a pic I took at 8:30 am this morning in front of a palm nursery in Escondido (those palms looked doomed)

post-7434-0-99946900-1420054157_thumb.jp

Sunset zone 24

these pics are incredible

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Josh, I am off of Vale Terrace on Colina and Paseo Del Arquero just up the hill and across from Brengle Terrace Park. We just bumped up to over 40F @11;30, not much day left to "warm" up. Canopy is a must tonight.

Carl

Vista, CA

Josh, I am off of Vale Terrace on Colina and Paseo Del Arquero just up the hill and across from Brengle Terrace Park. We just bumped up to over 40F @11;30, not much day left to "warm" up. Canopy is a must tonight.

I agree. I'm also hoping for some clouds but I don't think that's very likely.

Sunset zone 24

these pics are incredible

Thanks Matty!!

Sunset zone 24

Here is a pic I took at 8:30 am this morning in front of a palm nursery in Escondido (those palms looked doomed)

attachicon.gif7.jpeg

Holy crap Josh! John's place looks like it got hammered! Not good for him cause this is not done. Yikes!

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

attachicon.gif7.jpeg

Holy crap Josh! John's place looks like it got hammered! Not good for him cause this is not done. Yikes!

I feel real bad for John. I saw him and a bunch of guys moving palms around when I took the pictures this morning. David Minks just lives up the road at en even higher elevation. I'm sure his garden got hammered :(

Sunset zone 24