IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First sub 40's

Gonzer

My first nightly prediction of the year (Dec 30) ...my low in the garden will be 35 tonight.......Carnac knows all! :indifferent:

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Jim I know. I think he is concerned the wind will die, if not tonight, then tomorrow. DH is off this week and when he gets it in his mind to finish something...well it gets done, the other day he worked on measuring the areas to be protected and how much rebar and pvc we need...he always does a nice job on projects when he tackles them. I suggested he come in for today but he's in Go mode. Thanks to a referral for frost protection I saw on a thread in this section (http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/43742-frost-cloth/?p=673812), we have an order for frost cloth coming later this week in a long roll instead of the smaller sections we had last year. Should make covering larger sections easier. DH's planning on cutting off the broken frond now. I figured it's not going anywhere, still attached to the boot. We suddenly got wind gusts 15-20mph and I guess that was enough.

BTW have TV on and they did a news alert that I-80 in both direction near Valejo is shut down. Eucalyptus crashed down across the lanes. Some areas are getting wond gust up to 40mph.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

It was 45F when we headed out for coffee this a.m. around 9:30. No frost on the car overnight which was nice to see. Wind has been blowing since last night as projected, and man does it feel cold. DH put up some rebar/pvc hoops and the wind isn't making it easy to add the frost cloth protection. Have to wonder if we'll find it blown off overnight. That happened last year to some of our plants and not a pretty sight afterwards.

What do you guys do to keep frost cloth on securely beyonds clamps and some rocks on the bottom? Wondering if there's a better way.

Just looked and our low is suppose to be 31F.

Debbie, Just curious why you would be installing frost cloth for a windy night since frost doesn't form on anything but in still or nearly still air?

Jim is correct here. Common misconception is that frost cloths help keep it warmer which they don't. They will help with frost on calm nights though