• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CA Freeze?

enigma99

44 for me, I'll take it!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

this is bizarre. 36 at my place right now, 4 miles inland, and so is National City, right on the water, yet downtown San Diego is 47 degrees...

I guessing the city infrastructure and the ambient ocean water tepm's always heats things up there. It seems its always a few degrees warmer there.

Sunset zone 24

Another ugly morning in those East Bay valleys...thank God for a bit of elevation!

10891908_10152499373907234_4828441360765

wow, Frisco is 50F

Sunset zone 24

Stayed out of the freezing temps. 35.9. Looks like it's over for now.

Steve, did you get any frost?

Sunset zone 24

About 50 here, just past midnight, with the full moon.

Praying for all of you . . .

Dave, from all the pictures you have posted of you garden, you have a ton of canopy which traps in heat and voids most of the radiational freezes that most have experienced.

Looks like I need to plant a grove of Arcies :mrlooney:

Sunset zone 24

That's my problem as well - almost no canopy. Lots of Queens and Parajubaeas in the ground to take care of that, but it will be a few years...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

usually there's a 4-5 degree difference, but 11 is the most I've seen...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

30 this morning. Lower than the 31 I forcasted. NWS had me at 34 so was once again way off. Intellicast was 33

The weather station is a little down the hill and considering my bananas still have some life looks like it might have been a degree better than that. I really need a weather station this year. Time to shell out the $400

Edited by enigma99

usually there's a 4-5 degree difference, but 11 is the most I've seen...

wow 11 degrees difference is HUGE

Sunset zone 24

this is bizarre. 36 at my place right now, 4 miles inland, and so is National City, right on the water, yet downtown San Diego is 47 degrees...

I guessing the city infrastructure and the ambient ocean water tepm's always heats things up there. It seems its always a few degrees warmer there.

I'd been using weather.com. Am now using accuweather and when I searched for Paradise Hills it shows a current temp of 43. When I type in my address (also in Paradise Hills) I get a current temp of 48. So even my neighborhood has significant differences in microclimates....

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

That's my problem as well - almost no canopy. Lots of Queens and Parajubaeas in the ground to take care of that, but it will be a few years...

Canopy micro climates can make all the difference between life and death for our plants. I'm in the process of hunting down a bunch of fast growing trees to start planting this spring at my vista property.

Sunset zone 24

35F for this morning's low. I'm so ready for the warmup to begin. At least everything in the garden is green still. :)

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Top of the hill was 38F at 6am then dropped to 35. Time to start a move me to the top of the hill fund :)

35 low here for the 3rd day in a row....but today id much nicer....thinking a 40 degree low tonight.tomorrow.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

thank goodness clouds are on the way. I was in line for another freezing night. This stuff just won't leave!

wishing you the best up there Derrick

Sunset zone 24

Looks like we're clear for the next 10 days here...high 30s tonight, building to lows in the high 40s next week. Ready for a break!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Yeah Ben. Get to planting those Brahea. My small ones go in the ground tomorrow...

45.8 was my low this morning, anyone else??

Sunset zone 24

No freezing temps here either. Glad it is over

Bananas are starting to show some damage though. But all palms didn't have any burn

Edited by enigma99

Low of 45

It stayed just above 40F here. The only things showing stress in my yard are some coleus plants but they're total wimps anyway. Crotons, bananas, heliconia, canna, and, most importantly, all palms are looking like they did before this "cold spell." Let's hope that this is it for winter and nothing but mild weather is ahead and more RAIN, of course!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

It stayed just above 40F here. The only things showing stress in my yard are some coleus plants but they're total wimps anyway. Crotons, bananas, heliconia, canna, and, most importantly, all palms are looking like they did before this "cold spell." Let's hope that this is it for winter and nothing but mild weather is ahead and more RAIN, of course!

If your coconut keeps pushing after this cold snap, Jim, we'll know you have something special!! :winkie:

Ben Rogers

Drove past this triple dypsis decipiens today not far from our house to see how it fared. Been checking it out the past few years after cold spells to guage how it does in our area. This year not so well. The palms are at garage roof height and this year looked very dried out. Suspect future trips will show burn. Not sure if the winds got to it more this year than in the past or consecutive years of freeze and frost took their toll. This was one of the initial palms I had on my planting list. Love it for looking more tropical.

Here's a photo of it from just over a year ago taken on 12/25/13. We had multiple nights of frost and freeze around 12/15/13. Some areas (not sure of this location) got to low 20s. I'll grab another photo of it later in the week.

post-5191-0-12444700-1420406429_thumb.jp

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Drove past this triple dypsis decipiens today not far from our house to see how it fared. Been checking it out the past few years after cold spells to guage how it does in our area. This year not so well. The palms are at garage roof height and this year looked very dried out. Suspect future trips will show burn. Not sure if the winds got to it more this year than in the past or consecutive years of freeze and frost took their toll. This was one of the initial palms I had on my planting list. Love it for looking more tropical.

Here's a photo of it from just over a year ago taken on 12/25/13. We had multiple nights of frost and freeze around 12/15/13. Some areas (not sure of this location) got to low 20s. I'll grab another photo of it later in the week.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Debbie, That's actually a triple king palm, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. They are much less cold and dry heat tolerant than D. decipiens. Same as the ones in my yard in pic. below.

post-181-0-93300800-1420412536_thumb.jpg

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

If your coconut keeps pushing after this cold snap, Jim, we'll know you have something special!! :winkie:

Hey Ben, The good news is that my little coconut is still nice and green. Let's see if its spear starts moving again after the expected warmup. I threw a towel over it for a few nights just in case.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

my A.alex in the wind tunnel area of my home doesn't show any type of damage, in fact, except for the Wodyetia, Veitchia arecina, and 1 neoregelia everything else looks fine. even the broms i got from Hawaii earlier in the week

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Debbie, That's actually a triple king palm, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. They are much less cold and dry heat tolerant than D. decipiens. Same as the ones in my yard in pic. below.

attachicon.gifDSC01150.JPG

Gee and I have always thought it was a D decipiens because the bottom trunk area looked more bottle like. Also figured for our area it made sense although I've seen the size of the trunks from photos when more mature and kept thinking that bed was awfully narrow for three of them. Thanks. So what should I have considered seeing them that I didn't to make the correct ID? I've been driving by it since 2010 when it was much shorter and the highest frond was only to the top of the window.

BTW great photo as usual!

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Gee and I have always thought it was a D decipiens because the bottom trunk area looked more bottle like. Also figured for our area it made sense although I've seen the size of the trunks from photos when more mature and kept thinking that bed was awfully narrow for three of them. Thanks. So what should I have considered seeing them that I didn't to make the correct ID? I've been driving by it since 2010 when it was much shorter and the highest frond was only to the top of the window.

BTW great photo as usual!

Debbie, The best thing to do is Google Dypsis decipiens and it will bring up all sorts of pics and articles. There are some very distinct differences between king palms and D. decipiens. The crownshafts on the dypsis have a lot of white in them and the trunk has some white also with pronounced gray-green rings. Their petioles and leaflets are stiffer also. Jeff in modesto has a real beauty and it has endured some pretty cold temperatures and blistering heat.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jim, Is that a picture of you in a tropical rain forest or your back yard?? :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Debbie, where is this cunninghamiana?

Ben Rogers

Here's a photo of it from just over a year ago taken on 12/25/13. We had multiple nights of frost and freeze around 12/15/13. Some areas (not sure of this location) got to low 20s. I'll grab another photo of it later in the week.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here's a photo of it from just over a year ago taken on 12/25/13. We had multiple nights of frost and freeze around 12/15/13. Some areas (not sure of this location) got to low 20s. I'll grab another photo of it later in the week.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ben, Debbie lives in Gilroy. It gets colder there than where you live. It also gets really hot in he summer. I had several acres in nearby San Martin for many years and can attest to the harsher weather conditions.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim, Is that a picture of you in a tropical rain forest or your back yard?? :greenthumb:
Josh, that's my front yard "rain forest.":)

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Josh, that's my front yard "rain forest.":)

outrageous!! Nice job amigo!!!

Sunset zone 24

Ben, Debbie lives in Gilroy. It gets colder there than where you live. It also gets really hot in he summer. I had several acres in nearby San Martin for many years and can attest to the harsher weather conditions.

I was going to say that the damage in that pic looks most like desiccation from hot winds...but it's kinda hard to tell I guess. Some of it may be cold damage.

Ben Rogers

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice Chambeyronia. Actually everything is quite nice!