• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CA Freeze?

enigma99

Right now it is as calm as a dreaming baby.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Way worse last night than the night before...31 degrees here at 5 a.m. Lots of 25s and 26s down in the valleys (Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill). The duration has been bad as well...it was in the low 30s by midnight. The night before we barely touched 32 for less than an hour. Forecasts got this one wrong.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Way worse last night than the night before...31 degrees here at 5 a.m. Lots of 25s and 26s down in the valleys (Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill). The duration has been bad as well...it was in the low 30s by midnight. The night before we barely touched 32 for less than an hour. Forecasts got this one wrong.

sorry to hear that Ben. my low was exactly the same as the night before-35. No wind at all...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Ugly, ugly, ugly...there are even some 9a readings popping up in East Bay valleys...some 24s and lots of 25/26 readings...thank God for my elevation...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

i hit 30.1f this morning. frost was everywhere. is it too soon to say im ready for spring?

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

35 in the yard, dewpoint 25......still seems colder than yesterday. It is 30 and lower all around me....

John Case

Brentwood CA

It's significantly colder than yesterday. We barely touched freezing yesterday. At 7 a.m. this morning, most of the East Bay that does not have elevation is in the mid-20s.

Ben Rogers

29 f. here again this morning. There is a lot of frost everywhere now, yesterday only roofs had frost. My C. macrocarpa's oldest leaf was fried yesterday. Also my Ficus dameropsis lost about dozen leaves do to wind, half of it's emerging leaves were melting do to the cold!

Randy

test

i hit 30.1f this morning. frost was everywhere. is it too soon to say im ready for spring?

I AM SRFS (SO READY FOR SPRING)

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

29 f. here again this morning. There is a lot of frost everywhere now, yesterday only roofs had frost. My C. macrocarpa's oldest leaf was fried yesterday. Also my Ficus dameropsis lost about dozen leaves do to wind, half of it's emerging leaves were melting do to the cold!

Randy

that sucks. Ficus Dammaropsis is such an expensive plant and of course great looking.

It is interesting as it was actually warmer by 2 degrees last night vs Wednesday, 35F vs 33F. There is a bit more frost on the cars, but only the exposed surface, one car is slightly canopied by a butia frond and where covered the water is just dew. 42F on the porch.

Carl

Vista, CA

it hit 39 at my Carlsbad house this morning.

I know my vista property got hosed again this morning. Yesterday day it was 28F at the bottom of the property and 33-32 everywhere else at the tops of the property with lots of frost in the open areas with no frost under canopy. I'm guessing its the same today?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Almost identical to yesterday, 37 in front yard, 39-40 in the back. It held cold longer into morning though, due to no wind at all. Still, doesn't look bad here, but I'm so sorry for folks who are getting the real cold stuff...

I agree the forecasters were way off. they were calling for 35 F in vista yesterday and I had readings at 28F & 29F at the low parts of the property and 30-31.5 at the higher parts of my property with lots of frost in exposed areas. Not to mention the ground was frozen in may places

Sunset zone 24

Same as Carl for me, 33.4 yesterday and 35.5 today. No frost. As soon as the wind came up to 3 mph I jumped 10 degrees, at 44 now.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Randy

Ouch bro!

In the coastal canyons, it seems a bit worse today. 30F in my 'hood. I left for work when it was still dark, but I suspect I'll see some damage when I get home. In my area I've learned to take the San Diego forecast, then subtract 5-6 degrees. Lovely in the warmth of summer; lousy at this time of year.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

36f on the warm side of the house. Still as the grave.

Cold side of the house there is frost all over the grass. More so than yesterday. Palms and other plants appear frost free.

On the bright side, I was able to see how the cool air flows through my property thanks to the frost patterns. Hopefully I can use this to my advantage down the road.

Unless the dew points make some dramatic increase today, I think there cloud be a repeat +1 or 2 degrees. So tired of winter :(

I need to understand how this dew point stuff works/influences temperature.

Ben Rogers

NOAA said that I would get to 33 which I thought would be around 30-31. It just got worse because of my elevation. My next house will be on top of a hill... Top of the hill here was 35

37f again this morning with more frost then the prior night.

No frost down on the grass.

I have a large gigas that hangs over part of my roof and can see what an advantage having a canopy makes. No frost on that part of the roof.

Bananas and heliconia spared as it got down to 34F here. No damage to anything but most of my forecast sources had called for 37 to 40F. Let's hope they're right about moderating temperatures starting today. A big warmup is forecast in the next few days with low 70s next week. It can't come too soon!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On a normal night with no wind, you can usually expect the temp to drop 1 or 2 degrees below the dew point temp taken from 5pm. I was at around 33F so figured to get around 31. This mornings dip brought some cooler air in and made the night a disaster. The dip is change in pressure from the sun that hasn't risen yet. Pretty cool stuff, google it

Edited by enigma99

Bananas and heliconia spared as it got down to 34F here. No damage to anything but most of my forecast sources had called for 37 to 40F. Let's hope they're right about moderating temperatures starting today. A big warmup is forecast in the next few days with low 70s next week. It can't come too soon!

Interesting, Jim - it looks like they really got it wrong across the Bay Area. Very disappointing. I just hope tonight holds for the high-30s; my confidence in the forecasts is definitely shaken.

Ben Rogers

On a normal night with no wind, you can usually expect the temp to drop 1 or 2 degrees below the dew point temp taken from 5pm. I was at around 33F so figured to get around 31. This mornings dip brought some cooler air in and made the night a disaster. The dip is change in pressure from the sun that hasn't risen yet. Pretty cool stuff, google it

Interesting...will keep an eye on this one for tonight!

Ben Rogers

Ben, that makes two of us.

Sunset zone 24

Aroids and bananas fried.....no other obvious losses as of yet.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Bananas out in open fried...bananas and heliconias up against house look OK so far...

Ben Rogers

Ben,

FYI....

Dew point - The temperature at which the air temperature must be cooled for water vapor to condense, forming water droplets, fog, or clouds.

I don't know if that will help you or not.

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Ben,

FYI....

Dew point - The temperature at which the air temperature must be cooled for water vapor to condense, forming water droplets, fog, or clouds.

I don't know if that will help you or not.

JC

Thanks John...I was finding that, but what I was interested in is the relationship to ultimate lows (not finding that.) Enigma's explanation is interesting and I will be monitoring that going forward.

Ben Rogers

The high yesterday was 15 degrees warmer than the previous day, but the low this morning was 2.7 degrees colder. Clear and dead calm last night. 32.1F at 8:30PM, 30.3F at 10:30PM, 25.7F at sunrise. Bring on the rain.

Definitely wrong on the forecast.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Numbers don't look right now, things could change but I think an exact repeat is possible at this point

Edited by enigma99

looking at the hour by hour forecast , a high of 59 for me today with a low of 38 for Friday night. But, also forecasting a paltry 2mph wind overnight. Oh, how I wish I could hear my wind chimes again....

I was 3 degrees warmer this morning with a low of 40f. It was breezy all night, so much so that it blew off all my sheets. At the bottom of my hill it was 32 with light frost on everything from roofs to grass.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm sure glad to see things starting to warm up in the day or two. I never want to see frost again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunset zone 24