• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CA Freeze?

enigma99

39F this morning in the front yard, probably 40-41 in the back. Problem is - it hasn't really started warming up. Tonight is going to get interesting if the sky clears up.

I here that pando!! I took temps readings at my vista property this morning and it was 38.2 at 6:45am. It was 38.4 at my Carlsbad home (4 miles from the coast at 402' above sea level). The weather seems to be colder along the coast that a couple miles inland.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

After the winds died down, I ended up with a morning low of 37F. It's getting breezy again.

wind is defiantly good in this situation.

Sunset zone 24

Last night (Tue) while the storm passed, wind blew - 12 :30am I got a reading of 40 in the backyard (away from the pool). The pool was in the mid- 60's, only because we have been using the spa and I gave it a heat blast yesterday for a few hours. I was expecting the temp to be at least in the high 30's this morning. Much to my surprise, the backyard read 43. This morning the pool is 60 even.

that's some good news Rey!! :winkie:

Sunset zone 24

Wind AND temperatures both rising AFTER 6 P.M. here. Gone up 4 degrees in the past hour - keep it coming!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Wind AND temperatures both rising AFTER 6 P.M. here. Gone up 4 degrees in the past hour - keep it coming!

Lucky ducky !

Sunset zone 24

It had dropped to 46 and now it is 55 degrees at 7 p.m. Weird...and it's not just my station.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

It had dropped to 46 and now it is 55 degrees at 7 p.m. Weird...and it's not just my station.

I hope that spreads my way too, Ben. It's 46F right now. 55F, wow, interesting.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Yeah, it is weird Jim. All the local stations have gone well back into the 50s from the mid-high 40s. Whatever is going on here, long may it last!!

Ben Rogers

long live your weather station!! :winkie:

Sunset zone 24

its currently 44F with 48% humidity. at my place in Carlsbad. long live high humidity!!!!

Sunset zone 24

at 7 pm, 51 in Brentwood (at altitude)....down the slope it is definitely cooler.....my prediction? 35 at 6 am tomorrow, coldest day of the week.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Anything above 32 is good by me, John! Make it happen! :mrlooney:

Ben, In the last hour, my temperature has gone up from 46 to 47. Are you still in the 50s?

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

50 right now....

John Case

Brentwood CA

41.5F at 20:14. Dropping like a rock to the 25F dew point... Going to be a long one

And first time below 32F here since 2013.

Jim, weather report (recorded for DH to see) on Ch7 @ 6:20pm tonight said your section of the Peninsula's bay, a good section of bay shoreline in the East Bay, San Francisco, and the Pacific coastline would be excluded from the Freeze Warning. The vast remaining portion of the bay, way north to far south, could expect early morning lows in the mid 20s, my neck of the woods south in low 30s. Overnight lows in upper 20s in Santa Rosa/Napa/Concord; freezing or just above from San Rafael/Valejo/Fairfield/Livermore/Fremont/San Jose/Palo Alto/Morgan Hill/Santa Cruz. Mid 30s Half Moon Bay/San Mateo. San Francisco at a warm 41.

The bay area south of San Francisco, including peninsula and east bay to san jose area by looks of it were included in a Frost Advisory, early morning lows to mid 30s. Midnight to 9am.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

The effect of a local microclimate - 2-3 miles away, same altitude, and 10 degrees difference! Parts of the town already freezing. I'm still sitting at 42F.

post-9935-0-43069800-1420089945_thumb.jp

Like the flip of a switch the SSW winds turned on. Sound of wind howling through the bananas and palms is good :)

37F at 12:30. Happy new year everyone

2014 was an entire year for me without any freezing temps. That might all end tonight

How did everyone do up in NorCal? I don't have a station, so I have to go by the nearby station of 29.2. Another nearby station was 30. Bananas are still green in my neighborhood so I am thinking 30-31 range

Had propane heaters going last night for insurance. One more night to go.. although this night is supposed to be slightly better

I posted about our temps under the Hard freeze thread but like you with no weather station am relying on nearby ones, all but one were at freezing or below before 7am. Here comes the sun though! I did a quick check of stations temps around the bay when I got up and it was pretty much as projected on Ch7 (accuweather) for various areas.

I have some SunPatiens and a couple of birds and a citrus that didn't get covered. Most tender stuff did. Hoping the damage isn't too bad. Our frost cloth roll is due to arrive on Friday. Been bugging DH to order it since early last week once you guys started to throw up a red flag. Last night was suppose to be our coldest. We'll be ready for the next one if it comes this year.

Our cars sit in the shade when the sun comes up and they look a bit frosty. On my way out for coffee so will do a quick yard check.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Bottomed out right on 32 here. Creeping up now. Not a hint of frost anywhere around. All things considered, if this is the worst night, I'll take it.

Ben Rogers

We held at 34.....very nice!

John Case

Brentwood CA

You got lucky, John. I saw some high-20s readings around Brentwood and Antioch on Wundermap...thank God for microclimates!

Ben Rogers

Here is a picture of what the cold looked like to before it went to all of you in California. On Tuesday afternoon I went to the post office in Great Falls, Montana. It was a balmy 5 F with a brisk wind out of the west. That cutting freezing wind is something I can really do without. It is a warm 22 F here right now. It was interesting watching the news this morning with scenes of people on sleds in southern California.

dk

post-188-0-43415200-1420133269_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bottomed out at 36.5 in my area so I'm pretty happy. The long range forecast is showing a gradual warmup to around 70F in a few days and some warm rain next week with lows in the mid 40s to 50. Exposed bananas and heliconia are green and untouched this morning. :)

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

gotta love them hills!

John Case

Brentwood CA

No frost damage to bananas or heliconias here, either. (Pretty wind tattered though!)

Ben Rogers

Yesterday morning was actually the worst at 26.7F. The high yesterday was only 42F and I still had frozen water in shaded areas at sunset last night. The city heat island forecast for this morning was 24F so I was expecting another event close to Zone 8 temps. It was 32.1 at 11pm and a slight breeze kept the temps around 30F all night until the sunrise suck out at 28.4F. I could hear citrus wind machines running through the night though.

It was interesting to watch the nearby AG station. The temp and dew point were equal most of the night. No fog, but lots of frost. It was reassuring to see the dew point in the 29/30F range.

Didn't live up to the hype (thankfully). It is already 13 degrees warmer this afternoon it was yesterday, so that is good.

Edited by iwan

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

No frost damage to bananas or heliconias here, either. (Pretty wind tattered though!)

That's great news Ben!!! lets pray so this wont happen anymore this year

Sunset zone 24

42 at 6:30 pm tonight, much colder earlier than last night. Hoping for the warm air mass to move in more quickly! Good luck to everyone!

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Yes, tonight is clearly going to be worse than last night. 37 degrees at 7:37 does not bode well.

Ben Rogers

I live in Brentwood @ 165 feet ASL. Currently the temp in the yard is 40 Dewpoint is 26.

John Case

Brentwood CA

It will start slowing down, don't worry. Think it could still hover at or below 32 there for several hours so will be a long night. Windy nights are much more preferable