• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CA Freeze?

enigma99

Saw this pop up today on the 120 hour jetstream. Not looking good if this holds true. Coming down fast over land from the upper arctic

1znn6rl.jpg

These things usually move East....our forecast number for the next week are in the high 60s/ low 40s......

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Looked at the 850mb gfs and looks like if there is any mixing at all from the warm air over the ocean, it could really stop this air in its tracks. Think this round looks OK

Tomorrow early a.m. before sunrise is projected to be our coldest temp (and nothing projected as cold for the rest of December). Just above freezing according to Accuweather. Temps around SF Bay are pretty much all in the 40s-50s right now. Coldest showing is in Walnut Creek at 38F. Further north around Clearlake the temps are mostly 30s right now though.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

37.4 here in Clayton at 4:22 a.m. - suspect we'll drop a couple more degrees in a couple of hours. Looks like the worst of it will be Tuesday/Wednesday of next week. Hopefully things don't get revised downward, but I might protect/wrap a couple more plants this weekend just in case...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

What I was really concerned about is the New Years time period. Some models put me anywhere from 29-32. It's too soon to tell but it could either be really bad or if I get an hour of 32-33F, I'll take it.

I think if we end up getting air from eastern canada like this below there will be a lot of unhappy palm growers in NorCal. Ocean is pretty warm so SoCal will have plenty of mixing with it and isn't at any risk I think

fof7dl.jpg

Edited by enigma99

Look at the pink from the Sierras eastward. Don't want any part of that :) It's going to be close. Looks like the coast will be far enough away from it to be OK

5cj3fp.jpg

Edited by enigma99

Look at the pink from the Sierras eastward. Don't want any part of that :) It's going to be close. Looks like the coast will be far enough away from it to be OK

5cj3fp.jpg

I certainly hope so :hmm:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Watching the GFS 60h closely. There will be another update in a few hours so hopefully it will be better than this.

gfs_850_60h.gif

and 3days out showing SoCal to get a lot of dark blue.

gfs_850_3d.gif

Although it might be very cold at 5,000 ft, depending on how much mixing there is with 850mb will determine the temps. Regardless, it will be a chilly new years

NAM 60h

nam_850_60h.gif

Edited by enigma99

Latest GFS just came out; showing more mild temps. Difference between 32 and 30 degree lows can be huge.

Edited by enigma99

All major forecast outlets are predicting no freezing temperatures for my area all week. Chilly daytime temperatures until the weekend and next week should be a big warmup. :)

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

We might have some minor freezes here, Jim...got a few things protected yesterday, and need to batten down the hatches for the high winds expected Tuesday-Wednesday. On the bright side, the winds should keep frost off of things. Let's hope this doesn't get any worse. Right now things are looking tolerable.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Interesting how southern ca looks like it's gonna be colder than northern ca

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Just got off the phone with one of my co-workers in L.A. She was saying it was downright chilly and her heater was not keeping up, lol.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Matty, it's sort of like what happened in 2007 but not as cold. You guys down there got hit pretty hard if I remember right. My area is forecast to stay above freezing but very blustery tomorrow night. I have a coconut in the ground that's still deep green. We'll see how it fares the next few days.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Matty, it's sort of like what happened in 2007 but not as cold. You guys down there got hit pretty hard if I remember right. My area is forecast to stay above freezing but very blustery tomorrow night. I have a coconut in the ground that's still deep green. We'll see how it fares the next few days.

Wow a coconut? You've the most northern coconut in the world :)

SoCal is going to get the brunt of it..

Freeze watch for LA

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

159 PM PST MON DEC 29 2014

...NEAR TO BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES EXPECTED NEW YEARS DAY

MORNING ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA...

.A VERY COLD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DROP INTO SOUTHERN

CALIFORNIA TUESDAY NIGHT AND BRING SOME SCATTERED SHOWERS WITH LOW

SNOW LEVELS TO THE AREA. AS THE CALENDAR CHANGES TO

2015...CLEARING SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS WILL ALLOW OVERNIGHT

TEMPERATURES TO DROP BELOW FREEZING ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHWEST

CALIFORNIA. BY NEW YEARS MORNING...COLDER COASTAL VALLEY READINGS

WILL DROP INTO THE MID 20S WHILE ANTELOPE VALLEY TEMPERATURES DROP

INTO THE TEENS. FOR THOSE ATTENDING THE ROSE PARADE IN PASADENA

THEY CAN EXPECT TEMPERATURES NEAR TO SLIGHTLY BELOW FREEZING BY

SUNRISE. SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE SAME AREAS

FRIDAY MORNING AS WELL.

CAZ034-035-039-045-046-088-547-548-301130-

/O.NEW.KLOX.FZ.A.0003.150101T0600Z-150101T1700Z/

SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY CENTRAL COAST-

SANTA BARBARA COUNTY CENTRAL COAST-

SANTA BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST-VENTURA COUNTY COASTAL VALLEYS-

SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS RECREATIONAL AREA-SANTA CLARITA VALLEY-

LOS ANGELES COUNTY SAN FERNANDO VALLEY-

LOS ANGELES COUNTY SAN GABRIEL VALLEY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SAN LUIS OBISPO...PISMO BEACH...

MORRO BAY...CAMBRIA...SAN SIMEON...SANTA MARIA...LOMPOC...

VANDENBERG...SANTA BARBARA...MONTECITO...CARPINTERIA...

THOUSAND OAKS...NEWBURY PARK...MOORPARK...SIMI VALLEY...TOPANGA...

SANTA CLARITA...NEWHALL...VALENCIA...WOODLAND HILLS...

NORTHRIDGE...BURBANK...UNIVERSAL CITY...PASADENA...SAN GABRIEL...

POMONA

159 PM PST MON DEC 29 2014

...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOS ANGELES/OXNARD HAS ISSUED A

FREEZE WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...DROPPING INTO THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S AFTER

MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO NEW YEARS DAY.

* IMPACTS...FROST CAN DAMAGE SENSITIVE PLANTS AND HARM PETS.

EXTENDED EXPOSURE TO COLD CAN CAUSE HYPOTHERMIA.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WATCH MEANS TEMPERATURES BETWEEN 29 AND 32 DEGREES OR

LESS WILL BE POSSIBLE FOR AT LEAST TWO CONSECUTIVE HOURS.

PROTECTIVE MEASURES TO SAVE OUTDOOR PLANTS MAY BE NEEDED.

VULNERABLE ANIMALS AND PETS SHOULD BE KEPT INDOORS IN A HOUSE OR

BARN. ANYONE PLANNING ON SPENDING EXTENSIVE TIME OUTDOORS DURING

THE OVERNIGHT HOURS SHOULD PREPARE ACCORDINGLY FOR THE COLD

TEMPERATURES.

&&

$$

MW

Is it supposed to serve as guinea pig or rather as a canary in cage?

Edited by Phoenikakias

43 low this morning at Hana Keu with a brisk norther about 15-20 MPH and dry. Watching the soil to see if I need to water or not later today.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

NOAA calling for upper 20s for me, Intellicast and TWC saying at or not much below 32F. Will be hard to pinpoint it exactly but will be windy and cold tonight.

For a palm the difference between 32 and 29 is huge.. So hoping for the best

Edited by enigma99

Regardless hope it makes it through. NOAA has 31 for los altos but if I recall correctly you are usually warmer than their forecast

43 low this morning at Hana Keu with a brisk norther about 15-20 MPH and dry. Watching the soil to see if I need to water or not later today.

You bring up a good point John. It's been over a week since it's rained and the soil is starting to dry out. Light rain is a possibility here as the cold front arrives but if I don't get at least 1/4" I'm going to water everything real good to try and plump everything up in an effort to buffer against the cold.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

This arctic blast is expected to only hit us mon-tues-wed. This morning low was 29F, but tonight they are saying low 20F….will just have to see. Luckily not really cold enough to protect anything in my garden. Sunny as a bell out and feeling better about this cold event. Warming back up on Thursday. If moisture moves in Las Vegas could see some snow I heard, but thats a big maybe???

Derrick, it's a little guy that I planted in September that a friend gave me. I expected it to be dead or, at least, pretty crappy looking by now but it looks great still. Long term viability is pretty much a big zero but I'll enjoy it while it's here. :)

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Regardless hope it makes it through. NOAA has 31 for los altos but if I recall correctly you are usually warmer than their forecast

Derrick, The lowest I could find for my area of Los Altos (94024) is 32 by the National Weather Service. The Weather Channel site, Accuweather, WeatherUnderground, Intellicast, and the rest all have above freezing numbers for me, thank goodness. Right now (11:30 AM) it's only 50F and the winds are picking up out if the north. Brrrrr.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Currently @ Noon - 54F and 23F Dew Point and some crazy wind. My bananas are in the process of being shredded from the wind

I had a low of 50F here in Carlsbad SD this morning. It was colder yesterday with a low of 44F

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I'm getting strong ENE winds from the Sierras. This is very unusual to see a polar jet go from East to West. Was hoping for some compression as the wind is pushed downward, but considering how cold it is, i'm probably lucky to be at 55F.

Wind will need to keep up overnight to keep everything safe, if for some reason the wind stops temps will drop like a brick to the dew point.. o_O

Well, there are now multiple threads on the CA weather so hopefully this is the right place. Interestingly, we were projected to get down to freezing last night - and as yet (6:39 a.m.) have not dropped below 38 degrees. Local stations look similar to my backyard one. Is this front not all it is cracked up to be? Or should I still be worried about tonight?

Ben Rogers

Last night (Tue) while the storm passed, wind blew - 12 :30am I got a reading of 40 in the backyard (away from the pool). The pool was in the mid- 60's, only because we have been using the spa and I gave it a heat blast yesterday for a few hours. I was expecting the temp to be at least in the high 30's this morning. Much to my surprise, the backyard read 43. This morning the pool is 60 even.

-REY

After the winds died down, I ended up with a morning low of 37F. It's getting breezy again.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I think we bottomed out in the same place, Jim. Do you think tonight is going to be a little worse w/o the winds? Looks like it...

Ben Rogers

39F this morning in the front yard, probably 40-41 in the back. Problem is - it hasn't really started warming up. Tonight is going to get interesting if the sky clears up.

I think we bottomed out in the same place, Jim. Do you think tonight is going to be a little worse w/o the winds? Looks like it...

Not sure, Ben. It's breezy here right now and, from what I've seen, the cold air mass is moving east. So, even with calmer air, it should stay above freezing.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Not sure, Ben. It's breezy here right now and, from what I've seen, the cold air mass is moving east. So, even with calmer air, it should stay above freezing.

Fingers crossed! As long as it doesn't drop below 30 I am not too worried. Even if we have a freeze, it looks like it will be of short duration...unlike last year's event.

Ben Rogers