IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hybrid seeds: Paraná´s tableland S. romanzoffiana x Syagrus comosa

Alberto

HYBRID SEEDS : S. romanzoffiana X S. comosa.

I have seeds of the Paraná´s tableland Syagrus romanzoffiana crossed with Syagrus comosa. the Paraná queen has a full crown of very plumose fronds, and is more frost resistant then the queens originated in tropical regions of Brazil The S. comosa is endemic to the central eastern cerrado region of Brazil.It is a medium/tall thickset solitary palm with dark green, semi-plumose leaves, growing to about 10 metres. Growing conditions of S. comosa:
sunny, moist, well drained. Frost and drought tolerant. Slow growing. (Info about s. comosa and photo from PACSOA)

(The pollen came from this exact palm ilustrating the PACSOA website. It grows in de Jardim Botânico Plantarum)

post-465-0-69821200-1418932873_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Very nice! Will make an excellent landscape plant!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

This will be a very nice tropical looking xSyagrus for sure, apropriate for growing outside in countries with a warmer Mediterranean climate

120 seeds I´ll germinate myself and I gave 200 seeds to my 20 year old son who studies Agronomy. He helped me a little with the hibrydizing work. He will sell this seeds and make the envelops, ship them etc. They will be sent in a discrete bubble envelop, that doesnt rattle and registered so it can be tracked.

Soon more info

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

My son Hendrik will sell this seeds and make the envelops, ship them etc. They will be sent in a discrete bubble envelop, that doesnt rattle and registered so it can be tracked.

Ten healthy seeds: (PayPal . email adress: hendrikbarkema@gmail.com ) Send him an e-mail asking for the seeds

Euro 40.00 + shipping Euro 5.19 = Euro 45.19

US$ 49.14 + shipping US$ 6.37= US$ 55.50

Thanks Alberto - I ordered some seeds from your son and am excited to get them! Any germinating advice? Is it advisable to crack the endocarp, or not necessary?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

The endosperm of Syagrus seeds is irregular,(not like a butia) and cracking the seed can be harmfull to the endosperm.

Use other germination methods (Collingbourne method or a plain pot filled with good draining soil)

Great, thanks Alberto. Will add them to my baggie farm after a good soak. :)

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Alberto, what temperatures do Paraná´s tableland Syagrus romanzoffiana endure in situ?

Same question for the S. comosa that is endemic to the central eastern cerrado region of Brazil?

I live right on the edge of where regular queens (from who knows where) are hit and miss.....

Thanks

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil