IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought

ZoneTenNut

(SunnyFl @ May 18 2007,09:27)

(Ray @ Tampa,May 17 2007,15:58)

Lots of bark but no bite here today.  It almost rained.

The only rain we got this week was a miserly sprinkle on Monday.

Nothing since.  And NOAA-radio yesterday said this week was our best chance for rain - a chance for a th-storm today, followed by drier conditions.

The few plants that are thriving are a couple of bougainvilleas and the plumbago - and my dear R. glauca.

I am struggling to keep my garden alive.  Looking at my poor roebeleniis and spindle, I think I'm losing the battle.

Ray,

Same down here. I had one good rain and then all the rest have been all bark no bite. However, there are some rain clouds developing, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Sunny,

Struggling to keep things alive as well. With the higher tmeps, there is just no way to keep everything up with the restrictions and without regular rain.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Today looked promising for a few hours and then it all pushed inland.  Feast or famine.  I'm in the famine part.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Reporting now from Fort Lauderdale I got in one good rain storm on I 595 yesterday afternoon.  It reminded me a bit of Manaus and the rain we have been having now for the past 6 months.  But, I did not have to watch out for car swallowing holes as I do there.  At least locally where I was quite a bit of water was dropped.  I hope it continues.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

To look outside, one might think it could rain as the dank low clouds lay thickly over the Basin/valleys.  But alas it is only the "morning marine layer" so common this time of year.  

Fire department will be checking hillside properties for clearance of all dead underbrush and trimming of trees away from the house.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Not a hint of rain today.  I've had rain 3 times in the last 3 months and it promises to get worse.

The humidity here at 3PM yesterday was 19%.  Is this Tampa or Tucson??  I've never seen May weather like this.

Ive logged 10.25" of rain at my place so far in 2007.  

Short of May 6th (1.38" fell), May has been bone dry.

And yes....the humidity has been low!  I could hardly believe how the air felt yesterday afternoon.  The temp was 87F, yet the dewpoint was 41F (RH of 20%)!  That is rare for around here this time of year, but it sure felt nice.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(ZoneTenNut @ May 18 2007,15:26)

Struggling to keep things alive as well. With the higher tmeps, there is just no way to keep everything up with the restrictions and without regular rain.

Roger

Roger-

Even with the reclaimed water, I have a feeling my water bill for this month is going to be a record setter!

But, all is still well in my yard so for that I am thankful.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ May 22 2007,12:26)

And yes....the humidity has been low!  

The humidity today is also very low.  At 1230PM, my station is showing 84.6F and an RH of only 32% (51F dewpoint).

Larry 

The paper yesterday declared the rainy season is officially on us, but really it is only Miami and extreme south Broward county getting any rain. Greater West Palm Beach is 9 inches plus behind in rainfall thus far for 2007. Adding that to last years record shortfall total and we are still in the midst of a deadly drought. Seems windy all the time lately as well. Was down by the Loxahatchee Everglades preserve the other day and some of the canoe trails are nothing but muck and mud. I have never seen these dry up before. The deeper dredged canal areas were just teaming with gators, all fighting for the remaining water. We were going to go canoeing, but with all those gators packed in, we decided to forget it.  :(

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(spockvr6 @ May 22 2007,12:28)

(ZoneTenNut @ May 18 2007,15:26)

Roger

Roger-

Even with the reclaimed water, I have a feeling my water bill for this month is going to be a record setter!

But, all is still well in my yard so for that I am thankful.

Hey Larry. Haven't seen you posting much lately and figured you were probably out doing spring planting. Glad to hear your garden is holding up. Mine is as well, but some things are really looking stressed. Just can't keep up. If it wasn't for those rare rains, I don't know what we would do. Humidity levels are definitely not where they should be for this time of year here either, unless you're down near Miami. Miami even had some flooding issues last weekend. Crazy how 50 miles south is such a different story. Well, at least someone is getting rain. Here's to hoping the rest of us get to come to the party soon.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Bone dry here in eastern Ft. Lauderdale. A hit or miss shower (mostly miss for me) coming off of the ocean. I have had NO substantial rain shower since sometime in February. These little showers don't even reach the ground in my jungle.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Count me in the famine part here in NE Saint Petersburgs. I can't remember the last time I saw rain at the house. I work near Tyrone mall and a couple weeks back it poured here but back at my jungle it stayed bone dry. I find myself getting depressed seeing sunshine everyday.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Hi Bren,

I work near Tyrone Mall.  Whereabouts do you work?

Ray

Ray,

72nd street. Do we work for the same company?? Starts with an R ends with an N :D

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

I'm at Conax (next door).  It's across from the little league ball park.

Are they hiring over there?

Still no rain.  The heat index color is now a deep red indicating a relatively severe drought condition.

(Ray, Tampa @ May 22 2007,07:17)

The humidity here at 3PM yesterday was 19%.  Is this Tampa or Tucson??  I've never seen May weather like this.

I was just saying that to my husband yesterday - looks like AZ, not Pinellas.  He pointed out some promising rain clouds but I could tell they were just passing us by.  I don't think anyone got rain yesterday.

Roger - that's an appalling situation, the Loxahatchee drying out like that!  And the gators... ugh.  Also saw a frightening picture of what should have been Lake Okechobee, nothing but cracked mud in the photo.

Larry, about the reclaimed water - I read in the paper that they're facing a shortage of that as well.

Definitely losing the battle here.  The roeb is cooking.  My crotons are withering even with the watering I give them.  It's this wicked dry air - the low humidity + wind is too harsh for the tropicals.  They need more moisture in the air, not just ground watering.

Now, even the bougainvilleas are showing a bit of stress, although flowering beautifully.  In fact, all around town, I am seeing bougainvillea displays I've never seen this time of year.  Dry weather causes them to bloom better.

Going to be a busy day - gotta pull out a lot of my garden.  Sad.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny- Are you pulling stuff just because it looks poor or is it dead?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ May 27 2007,11:53)

Sunny- Are you pulling stuff just because it looks poor or is it dead?

It was in the wrong place, which was made worse by the drought.  Most of it is shefflera arboricola - way too much of it, baking in the sun.  I pulled it up and replanted it along the property line.  Also yanked some very poorly maintained (by me, I confess) Corkscrew Croton - quite leggy and fried.

I'm leaving the Fire Croton (mamey) and the yellow Fire, although they're wilting badly.  Just not enough humidity.  Neighbor told me there's a misting hose on sale at HD, I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

My one lutescens is coping quite well, so I'm planting another, since I now have room for it :D  It's my consolation for the past week at work.  (Have a bad day? Plant a palm!  Instant therapy!)

Also, I think I want things spaced out more.  More room for allamanda and adenium, so it's all good.

But what a job.  owwwwww.

St. Pete

(Ray, Tampa @ May 25 2007,07:13)

Still no rain.  The heat index color is now a deep red indicating a relatively severe drought condition.

My yard has been fortunate to have fared well through this drought.  The extremely low humidity and windy conditions have certainly done their best to dry things out.

But, I just got my water bill for last month.  I used 44,550 gallons of reclaimed water!

Larry 

We have been on one day a week watering restrictions for awhile now. Really, all of the palms and tropicals are holding there own as they are planted fairly close together in well mulched beds. I think the tight planting helps these "jungle" plants cope with harsh weather like drought, freeze, wind etc. They protect each other. On the other hand, my grass ain't gonna make it unless it starts to rain soon. Plenty of burned, dead areas showing up in open, baked areas. Incidentally, the grass next the landscape beds is much healthier and I don't fertilize or water the beds any different than the lawn.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Also, I have a lot of palms planted near the house. Believe it or not, a little water drips off the roof every morning, even in this dry atmosphere. My house has no gutters by the way, builder was too cheap for that. I guess this is another pro to weigh against the cons of planting close to the house.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I wish y'all in FL would get rid of your persistent high pressure so we could send some rain your way.  It's rained every day I can remember for the last few weeks, 8 1/2" (4 1/2" is normal) so far this month - right now it's coming down, as we say in Texas, "like piss out of a boot" (dont' ask for the derivation of that one).  We have at least a 30% chance for as far as the forecast goes. We're over half our yearly normal with the wettest months still to come.

Y'all can have it, we'd be happy to share.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

wow, I can't believe we still havnt had rain, the fires are still buirning and we get smoke from time to time.

ive have noticed lots of larger plants started to wither from lack of rain. fairly large starting to trunkk sabal palmetos are getting crsipy. mimosa is is full bloom and droopy.

next chance of rain is on friday...

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

No rain again this weekend.  At least the sky looks as if it could rain now.

Rain chances are pushed back yet again to Friday now.  Does rain still really exist?

No rain, hot, windy. Will it ever end? Alot of the trees and bushes are dropping what few leaves they had, in order to conserve. Large dry patches of grass all over the place. The low humidity and winds are really taking a toll on the australian tree ferns as well. Just can't keep them moist enough. This is definitely the driest I have ever seen it here.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Hey guys.....

this has to be the weirdest may I have EVER seen... Today is the first day since last week that the daytime temps have dropped below 90.. It has been in the mid 90's with 80% humidity and not a DROP of rain..  I've been watering for (2) hours/day.  usually we are gettin hammered by rain now

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ May 29 2007,14:17)

Today is the first day since last week that the daytime temps have dropped below 90.. It has been in the mid 90's with 80% humidity and not a DROP of rain.  

Thats warmer than it has been here. Really weird!

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

We're paying now for the warm January.

(Ray @ Tampa,May 29 2007,07:25)

Rain chances are pushed back yet again to Friday now.  Does rain still really exist?

It's too much or nothing at all.  Six people were killed by flooding in TX; everything's parched or burning in FL.

Can we hope that this forecast will verify and bring us some desperately needed rain?  From the Discussion:

LONG TERM (FRI NIGHT-TUE)...MODELS COMING INTO AGREEMENT WITH A

STORM SYSTEM FORMING OVER THE CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO...HOWEVER THERE

IS STILL A GREAT DEAL OF UNCERTAINTY WITH THE EVENTUAL EVOLUTION AND

STRENGTH OF THIS SYSTEM.  REGARDLESS...WITH SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE

SLIDING EAST OF THE AREA AND INCREASING SOUTHEAST FLOW OVER WEST

CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST FLORIDA...DEEP TROPICAL MOISTURE WILL BE

PULLED NORTH ACROSS THE REGION FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY.  THIS WILL

BE A DRAMATIC CHANGE TO THE DRY AIR THAT HAS PERSISTED FOR MUCH OF

THE LATTER PART OF MAY...AND SUMMERLIKE HUMIDITY WILL BE FELT AS

WINDS SHIFT SOUTHWEST OFF THE GULF OF MEXICO LATE SATURDAY.

INCREASING CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS FRIDAY NIGHT...AND

NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY SATURDAY AS DEEP TROPICAL

MOISTURE WILL HAVE ADVECTED OVER THE FLORIDA PENINSULA.  POSSIBILITY

FOR SIGNIFICANT RAIN EVENT SINCE WEST CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST FLORIDA

WOULD BE ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE STORM SYSTEM. BUT AGAIN...MUCH

UNCERTAINTY REMAINS.....

St. Pete

Thanks Sunny.  I welcome the high humidity and plentiful rain with open arms.

(Ray, Tampa @ May 30 2007,07:26)

Thanks Sunny.  I welcome the high humidity and plentiful rain with open arms.

Ray, I've been watering faithfully (hose, not sprinklers) and I honestly think it's not just the lack of rain - although that's very bad - but also these low humidity values.  Have you ever known May to have so many red-flag warnings for low humidity?  It can't be good for our tropicals - they need moisture in the air.

St. Pete

the heat's crankin up again... It dropped to 80f yesterday, but now the next (5) days are warming up nicely....  I love this weather.....

Today

May 30  Sunny

87°/66° 10%  

10 Very High

Thu

May 31  Mostly Sunny

91°/69° 10%  

10 Very High

Fri

Jun 1  Partly Cloudy

89°/71° 10%  

10 Very High

Sat

Jun 2  Scattered T-Storms

91°/72° 40%  

10 Very High

Sun

Jun 3  Scattered T-Storms

81°/67°

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Sunny,

I agree.  I've never seen dry air persisiting into almost June.

Ray

Maybe a day or two of low humidity in May but this day after day crap is crap.  I might need to get some candy wax lips as mine have evaporated.

Actually; Chapstick sends me love letters.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Some of the Califonians are reading this and saying to themselves..."They actually want the humidity???"

Some of the Califonians are reading this and saying to themselves..."They actually want the humidity???"

Ray, it's funny that you say that.... because most people up here like it hot & dry... and I love the humidity.... when it's dry I feel like I need to drink 10galllons of water/day... and my skin feels flaky...   Thank god it's pretty humid here during the summer.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I think its relative... lol, ha-ha.    I'm happiest about where I'm at, its 50-75% humidity about 90% of the time where I am. (drop that 30% or so as you move 10 miles inland)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!