IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought

ZoneTenNut

(TikiRick @ May 01 2007,11:20)

Well we are on fire here in South Florida. Heck, I would settle for a tropical wave at this point to get some water in here!!!

Rick,

Be careful what you ask for!

A tropical wave might turn into something you don't really want!

Really only two words in Florida's weather make me nervous, one starts with H the other F!  H happens in summer and early fall, the other F in winter.Well except for the last two years the F one has happened in spring! :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Jim,

Its not polite to brag and I'll thank you kindly to return our rain.  :D

Kidding aside, congrats on the good fortune. No doubt you guys can use the rain and your landscape is thriving on it.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(Daryl @ Apr. 17 2007,05:49)

We've just been forced onto Level 5 restrictions...we can water plants by bucket 3 nights a week. No other water is to be used outside the house. We are only allowed to consume 140 litres of water per person, per day..thats about 37 gallons per person per day...including toilet flush, shower, laundry, dishes etc...think about that one..what a joke!

Here is the front part of my property which gets no water whatsoever. We normally get enough rain through the year to keep the grass reasonably green. We had some good rain in February, but not a drop in January or March (or april so far)..so much for summer rain! The grass on the left of the driveway is Bermuda (couch) grass. The grass on the right is Qld Blue.

drought1.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Daryl -

The photo looks so California but only because the grass is dead  :o This year the grass has been dead all winter.

Rain season is over [minus a miracle  :(

Rain total - 5.21" / Norm 18"

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Coming in really late on this thread, but wouldn’t it be nice if this were the last post and the wet season kicks in for all of us? :)

At least here on the island, it looks less than likely.

And even if it does, Jackass Flatts is always due a late start. It used to be frustrating to always watch the showers move in from inland to the east and stop a mile from the island, but this area of the coast is always the least and the last to get wet. :(

Well, it took while to learn my lesson, but all my thirsty plants are on micro irrigation and timers, and the larger gulpers get vertically mulched whenever there is a spare moment.

We aren’t so lucky here to have a reclaimed water system, but I have installed cisterns to grab all the gray water and use that too.

No matter where you are, I sure hope you get the rain you need soon!!!!

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Dry on the island too Rusty?  Things will turn around there before they will here.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Rusty,

You are using gray water?  Congratulations!  How are you doing that?  I just read an article on doing just that.  We are on a well and septic system so I would love to be able to convert most or all of my gray water to my yard.  Did you have someone install a system? Or did you do it yourself?

Kitty in West Palm Beach

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Dry on the island too Rusty?  Things will turn around there before they will here.

Ray,  i'm guessing that you have been in this neck of the woods the (the s.gulf coast)  longer than have i, but i see the demarkation of showers end at the Tampa area, at least in the winter...it really has to be a strong front before it will make it down this far....seems Charlotte Harbor is involved. And Fort Myers and the Cape will see rain a full month before we will during the wet.......i have learned  to stop turning to the east and shaking my fist. LOL  :laugh:

You are using gray water?  Congratulations!  How are you doing that?

Kitty, i have installed a diverter valve in the drain pipe on the sinks and shower, and on the laundry too....the commode is off limits but is separate, so no special stuff needed there.

That pipe goes to a small catchment with a foot valve and sump pup. which then pumps it to the holding tanks...in this case some 55 gal poly containers.

Just an FYI, i also use bio based detergents, no grocery shelf goo......too much of that and i think it may affect the soil.

Hope this helps. :)

Rusty Bell

(Rusty on Pine Is. @ May 02 2007,08:15)

Kitty, i have installed a diverter valve in the drain pipe on the sinks and shower, and on the laundry too....the commode is off limits but is separate, so no special stuff needed there.

That pipe goes to a small catchment with a foot valve and sump pup. which then pumps it to the holding tanks...in this case some 55 gal poly containers.

Just an FYI, i also use bio based detergents, no grocery shelf goo......too much of that and i think it may affect the soil.

Hope this helps. :)

Rusty,

Thanks for the info.  Yeh, I know you can't use black water (commode).  Should be pretty easy to set up doing it your way.  I already use bio-detergents and soaps so I am on the way for that.

If the restrictions get any tougher here I may start putting a bucket in the shower and reroute the wash drain into a barrel.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Rusty,

Trust me, they shake their fists at you on cold winter nights.  We can't have it all.

Ray

(ZoneTenNut @ May 01 2007,22:32)

Jim,

Its not polite to brag and I'll thank you kindly to return our rain.  :D

Kidding aside, congrats on the good fortune. No doubt you guys can use the rain and your landscape is thriving on it.

Roger

Everything is really green around here.

Chance of More T-Storms every day this week.

All the rivers are running high.  They had to let water out of Canyon lake and it was whitewater rafting conditions for a while.

Looking great with all the rain we have had.

Rusty,

Trust me, they shake their fists at you on cold winter nights.  We can't have it all.

Ray

Ha Ha,  Ray, you are so right!  :D It's good to be reminded of the plusses every now and then!

And, true to form, when it does start to rain I will probably bitch and moan because i have to cut the grass 3 times a week. lol :laugh:

Rusty Bell

I think I had heard that thunderstorm, too bad it wasn't here. At least someone got rain...

< returns to watering in stealth mode >

Ryan

South Florida

(Palmarum @ May 02 2007,20:24)

< returns to watering in stealth mode >

Ryan

:D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

I know all about watering in stealth mode.

Two sets of showers for the Melbourne and Vero Beach areas today.  Good news, even if we haven't had watering restrictions enforced yet.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

We got those same two sets down here as well. I totaled 1 1/2 inches. Yahooo! Again, not a drought buster, but very welcome non the less.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

.5 inches here last night.

Yeah!  Lots of rain yesterday afternoon and last night!  My plants are happy!

More!  More!  We want more!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

The smoke is so thick that it looked like fog coming to work this morning.  As nice as it feels outside (60F this morning), the smell of smoke is too overpowering to open the windows.

Ray,

The same over here almost all day yesterday until this morning, was very hazy and the smell of smoke everywhere. Its cleared up a bit this afternoon, but still dangerously dry and getting dryer by the day. The South Florida water district just advised that they are moving to Phase 3 (mod edit) water restrictions starting May 16 for Palm Beach and Broward counties. This means one day a week lawn watering from 4-8am only. That just isn't enough to keep most landscapes going, so unless the summer rains start and soon, many people are going to start losing stuff. Will this ever end?

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Just read an updated report and there are now 236 fires being battled across the state of Florida right now, due to the drought. Crazy.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

As a Californian I have empathy for Floridian's struggling with drought/water shortages.  However Florida/Southeast is entering your wet season where one weak hurricane can provide 10" of rain  :P

But in Cali we're starting our dry season that lasts 6 months  Practically no winter rainfall during our so-called "wet season."  Downtown has recorded 3.21" since March 2006  :o

And this is the result -

Tuesday

griffithpark.jpg

Wednesday

griffithpark3.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Correction - In post 101, it should have been Phase 3 water restrictions. The time to edit the post has exceeded, but just wanted to correct for the record. Guess I was thinking about the one day watering when I typed it in.

Happ,

Great pictures and the one with the fire behind the city lights is quite dramatic. Looks like we're burning from coast to coast.  :(  

No question your drought is severe, but on the bright side, most western states deal with drought and low rainfall all the time and are much better prepared and experienced in dealing with it. However, with those low rain totals, even with all the conservation rules and measures you guys live under day to day, it is going to be a struggle this summer. Maybe with all the weather changes occuring, you'll get some thunderstorms during the summer.

Unfortunately for us, there is far less preparation and experience. In WPB area, we are 16" below normal for the year and I heard on the news this morning that we will need 3-4 feet of rain to replenish everything and bring us back to normal. I think we are going to need 4 or 5 tropical depressions (no hurricanes please) planted over us to break this thing and dump enough rain. We had hopes Andrea might help in this regard, but she's fizzled out to much ado about nothing.

Also, thick hazy smoke here again this morning.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

I didn't realize but the map I posted in "Post Number 74" updates daily!  Very nifty.  It seems that another county has added itself to the green zone in Southern Florida!  C'mon rainy season!

Fire on Santa Catalina Island is nearly out after burning over 9000 acres.  This is going to be a long dry & dangerous summer/fall  :o

catalina1.jpg

catalina.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, those were amazing photos - the night shot with city lights in the foreground and the ominous red of the fire in the distance.  And in the second, you could sense the weariness of firefighters lugging their gear through the baked land.

Battling those blazes has to be a hellacious task, the danger of the towering flames, and lord, the heat.  Working hour after hour in those conditions, don't know how they do it.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Agreed, lovely photos Happ!  We just got a big noisy thundestorm last night and I think it must have delivered at least an inch or two of well needed rain.

Finally some rain here at Jackass Flatts, about 1.75 inches by 1750 hrs....the first wet in almost 7 weeks....boy o boy, sure is nice to see!

Rusty Bell

Roger,

I live in The Acreage and we got at least 1 inch on Sunday and maybe that much last night and this morning.  Yeah!

How about a moratorium on new construction?

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

(palmmermaid @ May 15 2007,09:16)

Roger,

I live in The Acreage and we got at least 1 inch on Sunday and maybe that much last night and this morning.  Yeah!

How about a moratorium on new construction?

Kitty,

I'm in the Acreage as well, but wasn't one of the lucky ones to get anything on Sun., but last night had a heavy rain and I'd say I got a good 1 1/2 inches. Hoping for more, more, more. Maybe our rainy season is finally kicking in.

As for the moratorium, I'm definitely not a supporter of this whole insane Callery Judge deal. What are they thinking?

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Roger,

I can't believe they actually voted the Callery-Judge request down!  I signed every petition I could find!  Yeah!

I had rain yesterday mornig as well.  Hopefully it keeps raining.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Drought is holding tough here.

87f here right now.... We're due for some much-needed rain also.... There are a bunch of wildfires burning out of control in NJ - a little too close for comfort for me.  We've been nice & warm for the past few days mid 80's/high 60's respectively....but no humidity... very weird.... just dry as a bone.. But we're in for a serious soaker tonight - after that the party's over :(  back to the chilly high 60's/50's for another week or so.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Hi Rusty,

What your saying is I should have started my plantings a few days ago?!

Ray

What your saying is I should have started my plantings a few days ago?!

Hiya Ray......

Well, Monday and Wed combined to give abt 2 inches....ah, but this isnt a rainy season event, so until that starts this stuff is probably short lived.....i think the last time Jackass Flatts got wet was 6-7 weeks ago, so you never know.

No, ya might want to keep those digging implements holstered for now........

Rusty Bell

Lots of bark but no bite here today.  It almost rained.

I'll trade with ya Ray...... It has been absoloutely beautiful here - that is up until last night.... Oh we got rain alright.... but the temperature dropped from 85f on Wednesday to 45f now and it's raining like a monsoon... It figures...after I uncovered everything..... I'm disgusted

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Ray @ Tampa,May 17 2007,15:58)

The only rain we got this week was a miserly sprinkle on Monday.

Nothing since.  And NOAA-radio yesterday said this week was our best chance for rain - a chance for a th-storm today, followed by drier conditions.

The few plants that are thriving are a couple of bougainvilleas and the plumbago - and my dear R. glauca.

I am struggling to keep my garden alive.  Looking at my poor roebeleniis and spindle, I think I'm losing the battle.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I am struggling to keep my garden alive.  Looking at my poor roebeleniis and spindle, I think I'm losing the battle

Hey Sunny...... I don't know what's worse.... no rain & hot or lots or rain & cool..... Why can't it just meet in the middle

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS