IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought

ZoneTenNut

The remainder of the week's rain chances look more like November than August.

Ray, here on the island it has looked like November since last September..... inland just got 5 inches today, as usual not a drop here..........

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

A decent drenching last night.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

LOL Bren.  That's 3 inches that actually do satisfy.  I have a new found affection for forecasts that call for a 20% rain chance.

Still not a drop in August.  Six of the last 7 days have been at or above 100F in Atlanta.  Yards are getting crispy!

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Got another nice storm last night....hopefully this keeps up!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Ray, Bren, happy to hear you guys are getting some rain.....

Still dry at Jackass Flatts, but flying in the face of logic i just put a Nypa and a Mauritia Flexosa in the ground this evening..... nothing like thumbing the nose at the rain gods, i always say.........

Rusty Bell

• 2 weeks later...

There was a 60% chance of rain here for three straight days.  I'm still waiting for the first drop to fall.

Ray,

Same here on the east coast,nada nothing with 60 percent chance of rain forecast!

The cenrtral part of the state got hammered. My mom in Poincianna got 3.6 inches Friday,little less than an inch on Saturday,and 2.5 inches on Sunday! I guess the sea breeze from both coasts collided in the middle all three days!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I never got a drop either. This is down right depressing.

.75" is a deluge compared to my weekend results.  Fortunately, the rain kicked in last night for about 1/2 hour.

Bren,

Is raining when you walk outside and get wet, I forget what it is?

Don't feel alone  NONE here again either!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I think so Scott. Yet ANOTHER day without rain!!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I have to say I was shocked to read where Gary Levine lives they got 1 1/2 inches on Sunday. All from Dean. Thanks Dean!, I got a little too!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's pouring woo hoo!! *happy dance* I haven't seen it since the the 16th

Same up here junglegal.....looks like we got about a half an inch in the past half hour.  It rained alot harder a bit north of my house, but Ill take what I can get.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

ok, no happy dance after all. I posted too soon. .2" does not cut it for me. All it did was muddy things. I am beginning to thing I-275 is my evil nemesis. It's almost as if these storms are afraid to cross it.

I got an unexpected .5" yesterday.  I'm living large now!!

Nice Bren.  The misting fan is the only thing producing measurable moisture here.  I'll actually be happier when this rainy season ends.  Then at least I won't be surprised when it doesn't rain.

Yeah Ray but add in 90+ heat and now the 'nice' breeze and things are back to being bone dry. It occured to me that I rolled and put away my hose exactly twice this year. This is pathetic.

Amazingly, storms came through last night just in Pasco Co and hammered us with 1 1/2" of rain in 45 mins after a week of absolutely sunny, dry weather. It was a deluge, the kind we've missed much of the summer. This morning, everything looks soooooooooo happy, and I am happy, too, as I do not have to water for some time. And, they are predciting more today and tomorrow. Great news because our rainy season will be ending soon. Greg in New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Greg, you mean the "rainy season" will come to an end soon.  It was basically a non event here.

Yes, "the rainy season"...I wonder if we'll get hit hard this next week, because we missed so much earlier in the summer. Cloudy, looking promising again now at 4pm. Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Got hammered here late this afternoon.  I logged almost 4.5"!  

At the end of the storm (530PM), my station logged the lowest temperature in quite some time (72.1F).

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bring the hammer this way, please.  It was a typical summer of 2007 60% chance of rain (nada).  My experience tells me to subtract 40% from whatever is forecasted.

Once again, a deluge hit me and boy, did it pour. I logged almost 2" and winds easily hit 50mph...the lightning was hitting everywhere, lights flickered, the kind I use to remember. That's over 3" in two days - what a gift from the gods. Larry was hammered, but poor Ray missed it yet again? The palms are lovin' it!

Greg

I got nada again! Matter of a fact, a friend left my house yesterday afternoon and called me to tell me there was a brush fire on the side of I-275. We are bone dry over my way.

I'll actually be happier when this rainy season ends.  Then at least I won't be surprised when it doesn't rain.

Ha ha, Ray, I have been saying that all summer.....I am getting tired of the 'teasers' only  1/2 mile away just to see them 'do the jump' and miss the island.

If it isnt going to rain anyway, at least let the sky be clear and sunny!

Rusty Bell

The Palm Beach Post today, had an article about the drought possibly going into a second year. This August was the driest since 1987 and Lake O. is over 3 feet below its level this time last year and it hit a record low at the end of the dry season earlier this year. Not good news. You can read the article at this link Drought article in Palm Beach Post

I've had only the occassional deluge and this has definitely been the driest rainy season that I have seen.

Here's hoping for exceptionally heavy and consistent rains in the months ahead.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

It was dry again for the 9th consecutive day but at least the clouds kept the temps down.  Monday was another in a series of 50% plus rain chance days gone bust.  There's more of the same on tap for the remainder of the week.

I had a good amount of rain last night at my house.  Rained for a good 30 minutes with about 10 minutes of heavy down pour!

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL

zone 9b/10a

I think the rain gods heard me, I got about 1.3" around nine last night. It's a start!

It rained right about the time I was coiling up the hose.

We are still bone dry up here in Georgia.  We are now under an outdoor water ban for my county.  No outdoor watering is allowed.

We've had some nice sunny days though!

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Not even a tropical system nearby is yielding rain.  Two straight days with 70% rain chances produced nada.

Got a couple inches of rain last night after some heavy thunderstorms moved through the area. Some got 4-6 inches. This is maybe my second big deluge of the rainy season. Pathetic, but welcome none the less. Was really hoping that system that went through was going to drop a whole lot more rain than it did. Maybe we'll get another round of storms this afternoon.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool: