IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought

ZoneTenNut

It's baaaack!.  The drought that is.  Last week's rains are long gone.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

yep...I had wishful thinking w/ last weeks rains. My garden looks fried again. The hose was schlepped around last night  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

and my god...could it be any hotter outside?! wait...don't answer that

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Lots of new "rain" from my sprinklers.......so if Ma Nature doesnt want to cooperate, so be it!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

....and lots of digits in the water bill.  Oh well, this summer was a wash (not literally) a long time ago.

(Ray, Tampa @ Aug. 08 2007,06:59)

....and lots of digits in the water bill.  

95 cents per 1000 gallons!

Larry 

well, the rains have shut off and the skies are blue and sunny. yesterday hit 93.1F and the heat index was 106F again. i saw lightning near sunset, in the distance, but the radar showed that it was near tampa again. after last week's wonderful rains (about 4"), there hasn't been a drop since thursday afternoon nor nary a cloud since friday morning. odd summer. Greg :-)) BEGGIN' again

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

yeah right!!  In 1952.

(Ray, Tampa @ Aug. 08 2007,08:16)

yeah right!!  In 1952.

Reclaimed water!

This stuff is as good as rain IMO (probably due to the small amount fo shall we say "residue" in it :D )

Larry 

(gsytch @ Aug. 08 2007,08:10)

well, the rains have shut off and the skies are blue and sunny. yesterday hit 93.1F and the heat index was 106F again. i saw lightning near sunset, in the distance, but the radar showed that it was near tampa again. after last week's wonderful rains (about 4"), there hasn't been a drop since thursday afternoon nor nary a cloud since friday morning. odd summer. Greg :-)) BEGGIN' again

I drove through rain coming home from work yesterday afternoon in the Lutz/Odessa area, but got nothing at home.

Heres this months data so far.  I believe August 2 set a record low high.

august8.jpg

Larry 

LARRY, I RECEIVED .38" YESTERDAY. I GOT THE 20% CHANCE OF RAIN WE HAD. I HAVE NOT RUN THE SPRINKLERS IN OVER A WEEK. SCOTT

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Not a drop at the house...this heat sucks with out the storms to cool things off.

same here guys... mid - high 90's and not much rain to speak of... although we got pounded last night, it's just a tip... I've been spending 1-2 hours watering every day

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Larry,

I wish they'd put that stuff in here.  Reclaimed water is the next best thing.

Ray

(Ray, Tampa @ Aug. 08 2007,08:16)

yeah right!!  In 1952.

how ironic that water in florida costs much more than it does in arizona!  Also ironic that I cant remember any water restriction here except for washing cars about 5 years ago for a few weeks.  Fortunately, with your high humidity you surely dont need as much of it.  I use drip irrigation, very efficient, and supplement with sprinklers when its hot and dry to provide some "humidity" at the end of hot days.  I guess 25 million population would tax any water supply.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

We use no surface water on O`ahu for domestic use.  Most of our water comes from deep wells going down to the water table which stores water in the same way as on Long Island. (Gyben-. Herzberg Lens).  The rest comes from long horizontal tunnels drilled into the mountain sides.  These tunnels tap the water that filters down through the lava rock.  These tunnels are sealed to keep pollution out.

I have 2 acres and not 1 sq in of lawn.  There should be a law against lawns in dry climates.  All they do is "eat" water.  From April 20th to June 22nd I used 65,000 of water and received 3.2 inches of rain.

The water cost me $151 and I can afford it.  I'm happy it dosent rain here.  That only makes weeds grow.  My palms are happy w/irrigation.  I water twice a week for about 14 hours.  That is a "drip" system and each runs section runs for about 1 hour.  I have 1/2" poly pipe that supplies the water and mostly 1 gal/hr emitters.  Lately I have been using a few spray emitters plugged into the poly pipe.

I'm happy!!!   :D

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

well it really bites here! second day in a row it pours over here at work (west of I-75) and not a drop at my house in NE St. Pete. Grrrrrrr.

Ray, nice rainshowers we have going on now eh?  :angry:  :angry:

It's baaaack!.  The drought that is.

Ah, for some of us, it never left.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

I got a very nice and heavy downpour late this afternoon.  It wasnt super long, but still managed to drop 0.91" worth.

Today was rather hot with a high of 95.5F in my yard.  The heat index maxxed out at over 113F!

Larry 

I don't freakin believe it. Day 3 of the same exact weather pattern...currently storming here at work, dry as a bone at my house GAH  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I RECEIVED 1.03" OF RAIN 2-3 PM TEMP. 80 WAS 94. ITS GOING TO BE A STEAM BATH NOW THAT THE SUN IS COMING BACK OUT.

Received a total of 1.41" Today in Citrus Park.

9" of rain since Spring of 2005, and we're not in a drought out here.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Aug. 10 2007,18:07)

9" of rain since Spring of 2005, and we're not in a drought out here.

We are at least a little drought stricken, Terry...   :;):

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Two things will cause the word drought to be mentioned in our local news and weather reports: a rash of bad wildfires; or the weather chick standing next to a local reservoir that's 50ft below normal. Look for video of both this Fall on your local eyewitness news...

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I've had some good rains here and there this summer, but not even close to normal. Overall, our area has had a couple months of above average rainfall, but not at my place. :(  Still could use alot more rain to get things pumped full before the fast approaching dry season begins again.

kbdi-mean-state8-12-07.png

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Same here in nEw Port Richey. Storms and showers everywhere but I seem to miss most of them. Todat it thundered for hours, not a drop. Power even flickered. I just finished watering, again. Oh well, there is always next year! This rainy season is a bust. Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Greg-

I got a bit of rain from the rukus today, but not a huge amount (0.83").  But, Ill take it.

Larry 

Hopefully rain will arrive today.  The remainder of the week's rain chances look more like November than August.

I ended yesterday with 0.87" of rain and some impressive lightning shows later in the evening!

Larry 

Relish it Larry.  That may be the last of it for awhile.  The feast or famine summer continues.  By this time next month, the rainy season may have already abruptly and prematurely ended.

It missed me too....again.

Well...I was lucky enough to get pummeled last night. El-cheapo gage showed just under 1.5". It's a start. We need a whole week of that! I could do without the booming light show though. I had a paranoid corgi shaking & burrowed under my neck last night as I tried to fall sleep.

Enjoy Bren.  It's looking like that was the last of it for about 10 #@%&* days.

Ray

I think the whole east coast has been dry...... same here... no rain to speak of... but our temps have dropped into the low -mid 80's so it's not as bad..... It's probably a little easier to keep up with the watering.... Still taking me at least an hour/day to water everything.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

We haven't had a drop of rain this August.  I can't even remember a cloudy day.  Just lot's of heat!  We've got one more week of days predicted to be in the upper 90's or low 100's.  The lawn is quickly turning brown.  I have a potted majesty palm (r. rivularis) outside that isn't taking it so well since we are only allowed to water on Sunday mornings.  Under restrictions, my wife is allowed to water her "Personal Food Garden", so sometimes the overspray gets my majesty (wink).  My T. Fortunei that is in the ground shows no signs of stress with no additional watering.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

We haven't had a drop of rain this August.  I can't even remember a cloudy day.  Just lot's of heat!  We've got one more week of days predicted to be in the upper 90's or low 100's.  The lawn is quickly turning brown.  I have a potted majesty palm (r. rivularis) outside that isn't taking it so well since we are only allowed to water on Sunday mornings.  Under restrictions, my wife is allowed to water her "Personal Food Garden", so sometimes the overspray gets my majesty (wink).  My T. Fortunei that is in the ground shows no signs of stress with no additional watering.

Steve,

there are only water restrictions if you get caught :)  ... I'm sure if you did it at like 11:00pm no one would catch you.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Steve,

there are only water restrictions if you get caught   ... I'm sure if you did it at like 11:00pm no one would catch you.

Bobby,

Under the protection guaranteed by the Fifth Ammendment of the United States Constitution, I will neither confirm, nor deny any such stealth watering operations were performed under the cover of darkness. ???

I should run for office!  LOL

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

My rain force field is working well.  

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are contemplating building a new stadium.  The prevailing thought is a new outdoor park like the one in Baltimore, Detroit or Cleveland is not a good idea in Florida's rainy summers.  I suggest the local sports authority build here in south Tampa where summer rainouts will never be a problem.  In fact, the group in charge of keeping the field green will have quite a challenge on their hands.  Here's to living in the f&%#&%g Sahara.

Ray