IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought

ZoneTenNut

(Jeff in Costa Rica @ Jul. 07 2007,17:22)

(Ray @ Tampa,Jul. 04 2007,00:24)

Dave, could a dry summer equate to a cold winter?  I have no basis in fact but wonder if there is any correlation.

¿Raymundo, no piensa usted es demasiado temprano preocuparse del invierno? Cada año usted me dice "este invierno va a ser uno malo".   :laugh:

¡También, yo vi que las Aerolineas de Spirit tenían tarifas de Ft Lauderdale a Costa Rica para 29 dólares cada camino! Era sólo para fechas particulares en Julio y Agosto, pero lo que es un gran precio,  ¿verdad?

Jeff,

Your Spanish is looking good.  Keep it up.  Yo estoy faltando la pratica actualmente.  Pero, me voy para Bolivia semana que viene y voy tener donde practicar um poco.  Mas, portugues não falta oporunidade, é uma questão de sobrevivencia.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Veinte y nueve dolares??  Es una mentira.

2007 es el ano del invierno malo.  Se nos acabo la suerte este ano.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks Don!  It's been a struggle but I am trying.  I still have a long way to go.

Have fun in Bolivia!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

(Ray @ Tampa,Jul. 08 2007,11:55)

Veinte y nueve dolares??  Es una mentira.

2007 es el ano del invierno malo.  Se nos acabo la suerte este ano.

¡Sí esto es la verdad! Era sólo para cuatro o cinco fechas específicas, pero ellos tienen precios buenos todo el tiempo. Usted debería unir la lista de su correo electrónico entonces usted consigue la notificación cuando ellos tienen una venta.

¡Usted dice que cada año! ¡No sería lo mismo sin usted quejándose de la sequía en el verano y el frío en el invierno!  Usted tiene que moverse a Costa Rica. ¡Entonces usted puede quejarse de demasiada lluvia!  :laugh:

damn, I need to learn spanish!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Looks like the first monsoonal moisture of summer will be moving into SoCal this week.  Not that it will be much.  Normally subtropical airflow stays in Arizona and eastern California but the NWS is forecasting possible thunderstorms for even coastal areas later this week and again next weekend.

Any rain will be most welcome however t-storms often set off fires instead of providing a good rain  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Sorry Bren!  It helps me to practice writing it as well as speaking it.  Here's the translation.

In response to Ray's question about whether a dry summer could equate to a cold winter, I said "Ray, don't you think it is a little early to be worrying about winter?  Every year you tell me that this is going to be a bad winter.  Also, I saw that Spirit Airlines had fares from Ft Lauderdale to Costa Rica for $29 each way!  It was only for particular dates in July and August but that's a great price, right?"  

Ray replied "$29?  It's a lie!  2007 is the year of the bad winter.  Our luck runs out this year"  

I replied "Yes, it is the truth!  It was only for 4 or 5 specific dates but they (Spirit) have good prices all the time.  You should join their e-mail list so that you will get notified when they have a sale.  

Then I said "You say that every year (Ray).  It just wouldn't be the same without you complaining about the drought in the summer and the cold in the winter!  You should move to Costa Rica, then you can complain about too much rain!"

Bren, get on Spirit's e-mail list.  If you join the $9 Club (It costs $29.95 per year), you get member only deals to everywhere that Spirit flies.  I just looked at my last e-mail from them again and I was wrong.  It was $24 each way, not $29.  They fly from Tampa also but I have not seen any deals to Costa Rica yet from there.

I was just razzing you guys. Don't mind the spanish banter. Motivates me to learn!

It's been on my list of things to do for eons.

Wow...that price seems too good to be true! I'll check that airline out.

Que?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

And you live in California?

damn, I need to learn spanish

es muy facil... pero yo necessita practicar mas tambien :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(Ray @ Tampa,Jul. 09 2007,04:03)

And you live in California?

Hey, it's still part of the United States...at least for a little while longer.  :(

I always figured I'd bone up IF I went to visit a Spanish speaking country, didn't know the country would come here.

I hablo muy poquito espaniol.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Roberto,

Lots of Spanglish in the Tampa Bay area with which to practice.

Ray

Roberto,

Lots of Spanglish in the Tampa Bay area with which to practice.

Ray

ay, que bueno mi amigo.... :)   entonces, voy a hablar con todos..  y no puedo esperar para mi viaje !!!

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yo tambien.

4 delightful inches of rain last night.

(Ray, Tampa @ Jul. 17 2007,07:09)

4 delightful inches of rain last night.

So thats where it all went.......the skies looked like the heavens were going to open up, but I got zero over here in Tarpon Springs!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry, that's the unfortunate sporadic nature of this summer's rains.  It's very atypical.

same thing has been happening up here.... I've been literally watching the rain at times a few blocks away...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I got all the lightening but nothing more. It was enough to keep me cooped up inside until 7 pm grrrr.  By that time, the mosquitoes were having a party. Congrats Ray!

It passed me by in more typical form last night.  I'm waiting for two consecutive rain days.  This is usually not a big deal but is a monumental task this year.

(BobbyinNY @ Jul. 09 2007,08:45)

damn, I need to learn spanish

es muy facil... pero yo necessita practicar mas tambien :)

"It's very easy. But, I need more practice too".

Hows that for not speaking spanish????????????

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

"It's very easy. But, I need more practice too".

Hows that for not speaking spanish???

Jeff

Excellent, Jeff.. So should I speak spanish to you when we meet on Saturday :)  ?

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I had a some good practice speaking Spanish last Friday when I went to Bolivia for the day.  I even managed to cut off Portuguese and pretty much deal in Spanish with our Bolivian host.  Since it looks like I should be going back there with a certain frequency I should be able to refine my language skills again.  As to drought it is not overly dry in the area we were, but it is dry season.   The best part he gave me some grapefruit to bring home.  It is hard to get grapefruit in Brazil.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Again...storms all around me & not one drop. My garden looks like poo this year  :(

Ditto here Bren.  My rain dates for summer 2007 are as follows:

June 2,3 (T.S. Barry)

June 22

July 16

All other "rain" has been the "stand under an oak and stay dry" type drizzle.

Ray

Pretty much the same over here in Tarpon Springs as of late, but June was a little better.

I have gotten meaningful rain (defined as at least 1/4") this summer on---

June 1, 2, 13, 22, 27, 28, 29

Total for June = 10.90"

July 4, 10

Total for July = 2.56"

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Awwww-right!! We got quite the rainstorm - yesterday & Friday!   What a beautiful sight, liquid silver falling from the sky, mmmmm :)

And it couldn't come at a better time.

I am working on replacing (what remains of) my front lawn, which consisted mainly of sedgegrass (ew), bahia (ew) and a bit of struggling St. Augustine.  

No matter what I did with the front-yard garden, it still looked bad due to the weedy lawn around it. The replacement is zoysia, and already I've had neighbors asking me what it is, where they can get it.

Dunno how it will perform, but Swiftmud rep. told me it was almost as drought-tolerant as bahia without the weeds growing thru.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

(loved seeing the spanish posts, btw - i don't speak a word of it and really want to learn)

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

In New Port Richey we got 2/10" today!!!! Our heaviest since July 4th. June was a total bust. One of the driest summers I've seen since the late 80's. Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Ditto here Greg.

Right after I finished potting up about 170 Areca vestiaria and 40 Licuala grandis to 1g pots it rained .96" at the shadehouse!  Free Water From The Sky!  The electricity in the air was unreal, I saw a cellphone tower on the way home get struck and sparks went flying everywhere!  Still not enough water to put a good dent in the drought.  Pray for rain...

rain.jpg

Well, I'm happy to say, yesterday we got 2.1 inches of rain AND then today the skies openned up. We got another 4.2 inches !!!!!!  :D The grounds are really saturated ! I love it!!!!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Theres talk of a drizzle here soon..... more in the mountains.

Greg and Ray, did you get a good rain today?

We were lucky again - we got a nice soaking.  After that miserably dry June, and early July was pretty bad too, this is a welcome relief.

St. Pete

Sunny

Good luck with that Zoysia.  No one can seem to figure out how to make it grow here in Houston.  I'd be interested to see how well it does for you.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

I've got lucky w/ rains lately. I hope the normal summer pattern is upon us now! I want to be able to roll up my 100 ft hose!

We got little compared to Jeff, but some 1.7 inches yesterday and a downpour in progress today aren't bad.

The Kissimmee River, which didn't flow for eight months, is now delivering water to Lake Okeechobee, which is still near its record low.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(steve 9atx @ Jul. 23 2007,22:15)

Sunny

Good luck with that Zoysia.  No one can seem to figure out how to make it grow here in Houston.  I'd be interested to see how well it does for you.

Steve

Thanks - I'm really hoping it will do well.  Right now it looks quite lush, but it's been getting lots of water.  This is the Empire cultivar - I don't think the other types grow here.

It's supposed to be drought-tolerant and inhibits weeds - time will tell I guess.

(Dave-Vero @ Jul. 24 2007,17:18)

The Kissimmee River, which didn't flow for eight months, is now delivering water to Lake Okeechobee, which is still near its record low.

I saw a few photos of Okeechobee, couldn't believe how low it was.  Have to hope the rains keep coming.

St. Pete

We got 2.15" of rain at my place yesterday, which pushed us above our monthly average of 4" for July.  Hopefully we'll start catching up.  Lake Lanier (our main water source) was about 6 ft below full pool.  The past two week, my lawn finally looks great!  I'm starting to feel good again about paying Trugreen $40 a month.

SunnyFl,

Zoysia grass is the premier grass that can be grown in the Atlanta area.  When it looks good, it looks awesome.  It inhibits weed growth because it gets sooo thick.  It grows relatively slow too from what I've heard, which is nice for cutting.  My mother in law had a Zoysia lawn at her old house in Memphis, TN.  It looked absolutely georgous.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms