IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Summer 2014-2015

Daryl

We've had 277mm since last night here...what a wet January! 625mm so far since NYE

Wow Daryl, we've had less than 200 mm for all of Jan "so far" and most of that has been in the past 36hrs, the good falls in Jan have been very "hit or miss" thats for sure, Ive heared the rumbling to the Nth Sth East and West many times this month while Im out sweating in the "full sun" :) Pete

We've had 277mm since last night here...what a wet January! 625mm so far since NYE

WOWWWWW.

If I had that amount here my roof would be 6ft under water. No watering for you.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We just received another 82mm overnight...707mm for the month so far...the garden is very soggy!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We just received another 82mm overnight...707mm for the month so far...the garden is very soggy!

Daryl

Thats a good drop Daryl. All up we had 212mm in about 36 hours, but a mate a Carrara had 328mm for the same period. Very patchy totals, but good general rain all the same.

Daryl

Thats a good drop Daryl. All up we had 212mm in about 36 hours, but a mate a Carrara had 328mm for the same period. Very patchy totals, but good general rain all the same.

Great falls for you SE Qldrs thats for sure, hope all your palms where well ferted to get washed in and crank. :) Pete

102mm in that spell folks (approx 48hrs). Backyard was ferted just in time Pete. Phew. Not to mention a little dolomite for the Copernicias and Basselinia.

It just hit 42.6C here. What the??

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well guys, all I can say is I am delighted to see your summer pass so that ours might arrive. I am ready again for the sun and the heat. The passing of the cold again breathes life into my soul.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well guys, all I can say is I am delighted to see your summer pass so that ours might arrive. I am ready again for the sun and the heat. The passing of the cold again breathes life into my soul.

Summer's just hit overdrive here.

It peaked at 43.1C and now the thunderstorms are moving in. It's going to be a beautiful night.

We had 5mm of rain last night which was beautiful even though it wasn't enough rain. Today it hit 40.3C with sapping humidity. It felt a bit like Darwin. Humidity haze everywhere all day. You can smell all the Eucalypt trees when it gets like that. Love it. Palms and bamboos are going nuts now.

Tyrone you've got 2 central Indian Ocean cyclones heading your way. Diamondra is around 80.9E but 989 hPa, 40 knot winds and dissipating. Eunice is 67.3E, 915 hPa, 120 knot winds and strengthening. You might possibly be swimming in it soon.

Tyrone you've got 2 central Indian Ocean cyclones heading your way. Diamondra is around 80.9E but 989 hPa, 40 knot winds and dissipating. Eunice is 67.3E, 915 hPa, 120 knot winds and strengthening. You might possibly be swimming in it soon.

Let's hope. But I can almost guarantee you that they'll miss us and end up somehow on the east coast, tassie or NZ.

My January average was 13.5C min 30.5C max. I'm surprised how hot it got here.

Well, we ended January with 707mm in the gauge at home...not a bad drop for the garden!

February has got off to a good start with 46mm ovenight...my water bill should be good this quarter!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Let's hope. But I can almost guarantee you that they'll miss us and end up somehow on the east coast, tassie or NZ.

Tyrone, looks like you're right, they're heading for the Roaring Forties, imagine all that rain bypassing you down there. When the continent was further down that way, circa 10 million years ago, it used to cop those all the time. To paraphrase, 'what a difference 10 million years makes'.

If it's any consolation, I'm doing it hard for rain this wet season. To end of January (4 months) I've only got 87.8% of average rainfall. Although I shouldn't complain. On the east coast Cairns has only had 42% of average in that time. My dam only just filled, so I have my wet season swimming pool at least.

Well, we ended January with 707mm in the gauge at home...not a bad drop for the garden!

February has got off to a good start with 46mm ovenight...my water bill should be good this quarter!

Daryl

We got 30mm here last night. But your right, its been a very wet start to the year.

Daryl

Holy molly Daryl thats an amazing amount of rain for a month, you guys down there have done very well, hows ya Lemur looking mate ?

Tyrone, looks like you're right, they're heading for the Roaring Forties, imagine all that rain bypassing you down there. When the continent was further down that way, circa 10 million years ago, it used to cop those all the time. To paraphrase, 'what a difference 10 million years makes'.

If it's any consolation, I'm doing it hard for rain this wet season. To end of January (4 months) I've only got 87.8% of average rainfall. Although I shouldn't complain. On the east coast Cairns has only had 42% of average in that time. My dam only just filled, so I have my wet season swimming pool at least.

That would have been back in the day when cycads grew in Antarctica and even Tassie.

Rain is what we need everywhere other than SE QLD. Perth is on an extreme thunderstorm alert with large hail and flash flooding forecast. I hope my coconut is OK.

Daryl

That's an awesome amount of rain. The sort of rain even a huge water tank wouldn't even fully catch. If you had a roof surface of 300m2 you'd have collected 212,100L. That's a big tank.

It got to 40.6C yesterday and then we had a bushfire start about 4kms away at Bakers Junction. Luckily my property doesn't border bushland although a big fire could have produced an ember attack. I'm one of the few places around that still has green grass and water so it would take a lot to set things alight here (unless it gets into the pine trees). It was still concerning though.

It got to 40.6C yesterday and then we had a bushfire start about 4kms away at Bakers Junction. Luckily my property doesn't border bushland although a big fire could have produced an ember attack. I'm one of the few places around that still has green grass and water so it would take a lot to set things alight here (unless it gets into the pine trees). It was still concerning though.

Oh no not more bush fire.

I'm glad for the heat moving across into South Australia as the weather has been so mild I was beginning to think summer was over and autumn was here already. I have noticed a few ornamental pear trees have already to change colour.

The fire left a lot of smoke around the place today. It made a spectacular sunset last night and sunrise this morning. We got a bit of rain tonight and now the air has cleared of all smoke.

Bushfires are still raging out of control near Northcliffe, Windy Harbour on the south coast and Boddington further north. The Northcliffe, Windy Harbour fire is in Karri forest that is 70m tall. It's impossible to fight it at that height and the only way it will be put out is if the weather changes. Man can do nothing. The people in those areas have been told to leave as if the fire comes directly at them there is nothing that can be done. It's indefensible.

Pip it's been so hot here. I'm averaging 16.8C min to 34.8C for February so far. It felt cooler today at 34.7C. Palms are loving the heat and humidity. The heat is coming to get ya. :)

post-63-0-96995100-1423141207_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-37129800-1423141232_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-74991200-1423141250_thumb.jpg

I just got back from Perth as we had to do some maintenance on the rental property and man it was hot. It was 40C on Sunday without a breeze or anything and on Monday although not as hot was stifling due to the humidity. We had 34C but with 21,22C dewpoints and again with no breeze. Many things were green up there too due to all the thunderstorm activity they've had in the last couple of weeks. Coming home back through the wheat belt and it was hot and very very dry.

On another note their looks like there will be a cyclone off the NW coast by Friday Saturday and one off the Gove peninsula on Sunday. The monsoon will be alive and kicking up north.

For sure Tyrone, finally starting to get a bit of activity here after being in the doldrums for so long. The expected cyclone of the north west should be closer to Christmas Island and move westwards out into the Indian Ocean. GFS shows one crossing the coast at Gove about Monday around 47 knots. It's then having it cross the Top End inland and come out over Darwin about Wednesday at 59 knots. And that's the end of the current model run, stay tuned.

Rainfall since mid January has been abysmal, I got down to 42.4% of average. But day before yesterday we had a severe thunderstorm warning, ended up getting 43.4 mm and no damage apart from the inconvenience of no power for a few hours. Then yesterday 2 severe thunderstorm warnings within an hour of each other. 46.8 mm rain, lots of branches and palm fronds down but no actual damage. It's brought this wet season's rain to 47.2% of average.

The monsoon trough has developed just off the north coast and is expected to hang around for a while, no doubt involved in that system expected to develop off Gove. So my rainfall stats look like improving a bit.

Today we have the sun directly overhead, from here on it'll start to weaken all the way into the dry season. Because of the unseasonal lack of cloud cover it's been pretty intense the past few weeks. You expect that around October/November when cloud cover is normally in short supply.

Weather has been OK here...not overly hot, but with reasonable rainfall...51mm for the last week, whilst I was away in Sydney...can't complain! I just wish these dreaded southeasterly trades would back off a little...OK at home, but constant wind when you are out and about...rain is much better than wind! :)

Been one of the coldest days for a while today with a 24.1C max but with gale force gusty westerly winds. It was doing my head in. Once the sun went down they backed right off to a gentle calm breeze. I wish we'd get a decent drop of rain from a nice warm thunderstorm. The locals are saying it's the driest they've ever seen here.

No rain for Adelaide for a few weeks now top temperature reached 42. Here's a pic taken by a friend enjoying Seacliff beach this evening.

post-10546-0-87197400-1423917719_thumb.j

Looks like we are going to have a bit of rain later this week...forecast is for up to 400mm Thursday/Friday... :interesting:

That's an amazing amount of rain Daryl.

Here, I'm watching the average temps start to dip down as summer is losing it's strength at 35S. Lot's of cloud but no rain of any sort forecast.

Tyrone, the 10 day outlook has something developing off the Pilbara/Gascoyne coast. If it tracks further south you might get something from that. We've got TC Lam at the moment in the Gulf which looks like slamming into Groote Eylandt as a cat 4 in a couple of days. Looks like it's going to be too far out from here to give me any rain. Quite the reverse probably, likely to rob any moisture that might have been around. Although, the models are still all over the place, and steering is balanced between the high to the south and the monsoonal flow. It'll be the high that gives way before Lam can edge much more westwards.

Tyrone, the 10 day outlook has something developing off the Pilbara/Gascoyne coast. If it tracks further south you might get something from that. We've got TC Lam at the moment in the Gulf which looks like slamming into Groote Eylandt as a cat 4 in a couple of days. Looks like it's going to be too far out from here to give me any rain. Quite the reverse probably, likely to rob any moisture that might have been around. Although, the models are still all over the place, and steering is balanced between the high to the south and the monsoonal flow. It'll be the high that gives way before Lam can edge much more westwards.

You may get some rain from that system. Here's hoping.

It tried raining today but just spat for a bit and kept the humidity up. It got to 30.6C and cloudy. Real sticky. There is a heap of cloud coming off the Tropical Indian Ocean and travelling east over the SW of the country.

TC Lam looks to be finally heading for land. Last couple of days it's been generating super cells out our way but unfortunately they've been bypassing me with the rain. It was a very lopsided system with rain bands a very long way out west but barely past the eye wall to the east. Over night it's consolidated but I'm hoping once it's overland and closer it'll send a lot more rain our way.

Interesting times for the east coast though. TC Marcia is only expected to be a cat 2 on landfall, but the fun will begin after it collapses into a baroclinic low. Between it and the ridge to the south east they're going to really tighten the pressure gradient and create gales and heavy rain onto SE Qld and NE NSW. Hardest hit will be the hinterland areas. Similar scenario after TC Oswald dissipated over Cape York a few years back but the low pressure system went down inland of the coast and ran into the high over NZ. The gales were stronger than what Oswald produced as a tropical cyclone.

Wow Zig, excellent photos of those storms! TC Marcia keeps getting upgraded and is now CAT3 and expected to be CAT4 by landfall...hope our friends in Central QLD are all OK.

Rain has not started here yet, but is getting closer...16mm over the last 24 hours, just showers and sprinkles, but there is a huge rain band headed our way and due to hit tonight some time, with totals predicted to be between 200-500mm depending on source and hysterical media reporting!

Daryl

TC Marcia's eye is quite well defined on satellite imagery at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Cat 4 now. I don't think this cyclone will mess around. I hope it doesn't cause too much damage.

Photos taken by a local storm chaser of one of the super cells that came through yesterday:

www.northauschasers.com/forum/download/file.php?id=7661&mode=view

www.northauschasers.com/forum/download/file.php?id=7657&mode=view

Awesome pics Zig.

TC Marcia is now forecast to go to CAT5 prior to landfall...talk about intensifying quickly! It was only CAT1 this morning. Gusts to 295 km/h...that will cause some grief!

Daryl