IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Our First Cold Front

Moose

Even rising above freezing at 10am, and full sun today, there was still a 1/4 inch sheet of ice on this 300 gallon sugar kettle as we go into the evening. With a low of 33 I suspect it will still be there tomorrow morning as well.

post-1207-0-01710000-1420755204_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

All this talk that I heard one meteorologist say that my area was going to see the coldest air of the season (unless he meant for 2015, and not the fall and early December 2014 season) was baloney. My low this morning was 43.5 degrees F (average of three wireless digital thermometers I have set out). I recorded a low of 38 degrees back in very early November of 2014; I thought that might be a precursor to a very cold winter, but so far, so good.

My high today reached 66 degrees.

Mad about palms

All this talk that I heard one meteorologist say that my area was going to see the coldest air of the season (unless he meant for 2015, and not the fall and early December 2014 season) was baloney. My low this morning was 43.5 degrees F (average of three wireless digital thermometers I have set out). I recorded a low of 38 degrees back in very early November of 2014; I thought that might be a precursor to a very cold winter, but so far, so good.

My high today reached 66 degrees.

Walt usually your area is the cold magnet. Nice to hear your not the cold spot leader of the state.

59 F and very heavy fog here this morning - warming trend is beginning.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

The real cold magnet for Highlands County is just south of me in the Archbold Biological Station and Venus area. That area shows up as 9a patch on the USDA hardiness zones, while the surrounding county is 9b.

Mad about palms

The real cold magnet for Highlands County is just south of me in the Archbold Biological Station and Venus area. That area shows up as 9a patch on the USDA hardiness zones, while the surrounding county is 9b.

I agree with that for sure. I owned property in Hardee for many years , and lived in Sebring for one year.

Most official temps for the area were taken at Archbold , and were obviously not representative of the area.

As you've pointed out previously , topography is a dominant factor in that area , with lakes being next in

effect, etc etc ...

In Hardee , the official temp is usually at Ona , and is also skewed to the cold side by a good bit .

Did we ever converse, either here at the forum, PM, or email, maybe 10 or more years ago? I seem to remember a Bill that lived in Sebring (talked via email, etc.).

I rely on the FAWN website (Sebring weather station site) to determine low temperatures for my area. I have to extrapolate one way or the other for other locations in Highlands County.

The Sebring FAWN site is at a higher elevation than my place; hence, it normally runs 3-5 degrees warmer than at my place on radiational cooling nights. On rare occasions my place is slightly warmer, I think more on advective cooling nights. A master gardner buddy of mine lives on the east shore of Lake June (in the Lake June Pointe subdivision) and he has a weather station. I compare temperatures with him on the coldest nights. Typically, on the coldest radiational cooling nights he runs 12 degrees warmer than at my place. On one night he even ran 14 degrees warmer than at at my place, and I remember that was on February 14, 2006, when my low was 27 and his was 41.

The Sebring News-Sun paper publishes Archbold Biological Stations temperatures (they have a NOAA weather station there) in the paper, and they are always colder, sometimes much colder at night (but daytime highs are almost always warmer).

I think the town of Lake Placid gets attributed to ABS's low temperature. No way is Lake Placid proper anywhere near as cold as ABS, as the town is at elevation and surrounded by about 12 lakes. In December of 2010 ABS dropped to 17 degrees one night and 15 degrees the next. All of the coconut palms (some with 20 feet of trunk) up in town survived with only some browning and some manganese/boron deficient new fronds. I contend it was the 11 straight days of cold weather more than an absolute low that hurt these coconut palms. I have photos with date stamps on them to support this.

I actually think the higher elevation locations fared better than lake proximity locations towards the end of the 11-day cold event, because the lake waters cooled down markedly.

Mad about palms

My son's godfather had 125 acres just SW of Venus, FL, I can attest that it was definitely a cold trap. Probably one of perennial cold areas south of the I-4 corridor.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B