IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Our First Cold Front

Moose

Technically its our second cold front of this season. The last one was very mild that never impacted South Florida. This one will have high 40's F in Southern Miami Dade County. Still mild but we are overdue for another cold winter. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Low temperature records for this date were broken all through Florida. Today could also see record low highs for this date, too.

Mad about palms

Do you guys call it cold front? :D

Here we also hit 49F these days. In Azores 60F.

Nothing to be worried about, i think.

Rafael - its all relative. South Florida usually enjoys USDA zone 11 temperatures for all days except for a few. Central Florida is mostly zone 11 as well except the fronts the fronts are more often and generally longer lasting. Frost keeps them from growing the tropical stuff. These cold fronts preclude South Florida from growing the ultra tropical species.

The majority of those who visit Palm Talk are zone pushers. Relatively speaking - it is a cold front. Hopefully this was just an early anomaly. The fronts get more severe and frequent all the way into late February 'til mid March. An individual cold event is often not a problem. Multiple events can stress and cause an eventual demise of the cold sensitive species in a bad season.

Do you guys call it cold front? :D

Here we also hit 49F these days. In Azores 60F.

Nothing to be worried about, i think.

Rafael - its all relative. South Florida usually enjoys USDA zone 11 temperatures for all days except for a few. Central Florida is mostly zone 11 as well except the fronts the fronts are more often and generally longer lasting. Frost keeps them from growing the tropical stuff. These cold fronts preclude South Florida from growing the ultra tropical species.

The majority of those who visit Palm Talk are zone pushers. Relatively speaking - it is a cold front. Hopefully this was just an early anomaly. The fronts get more severe and frequent all the way into late February 'til mid March. An individual cold event is often not a problem. Multiple events can stress and cause an eventual demise of the cold sensitive species in a bad season.

Ok then, it is a cold front to south florida criteria :winkie:

I hope it is occasional!

And, by the way, today, in Azores, where i am working, i still enjoyed the pool :)

It's a cold front anytime Arctic air pushes down this far, regardless it it's not a devastating cold front like we could get in January (or late December or early February). What makes this particular cold front notable is that it was a low temperature record breaker for this time of the year in many locations, especially inland locations without the benefit of water (ocean, Gulf, bay, lakes, etc.) to help hold up temperatures. If this same cold front (same temperatures) were to come a month later, it would be far more normal -- and not notable! I think the low temperature record for this date in my inland location this morning was broken by four degrees F. As far as I'm concerned ,considering the date -- four degrees is notable and concerning.

Mad about palms

Here in the Lower Florida Keys we had a record-breaker as well: Key West registered two of them, in fact--a low this morning of 61F, a degree lower then the old record, and a high of 69F, four degrees lower than the old "lowest maximum" record of 73F (set in 1874!). With the wind and dryness mixed in, all I can say is...brrrrrr! Water temp at Key West also dropped way down to 74F this morning. We are not accustomed to such things down here, certainly not this early in the season, and everybody was talking about the fact that they had to dig out a blanket for the first time. Luckily it is short-lived but I hope it is not a harbinger of things to come in the approaching winter!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

When I served in the US Navy for four years ('67-'71) my last duty station was in Key West, Florida (June '70 to July '71). I can remember a few days here and there during the winter months when it got relatively cool, especially with a dry north wind. But I recall one night in either January or February of '71 when it dropped to 47 degrees in Key West (just six degrees above their all-time low). Me and two navy buddies were camping out in Bahia Honda State Park that night. We had a camp fire going and were drinking lots of beer and whiskey. I remember looking up at the blowing coconut palms and thinking how I just couldn't reconcile swaying coconut palms and such cold.

I also remember one other day when my ship sailed to the Dry Tortugas, and it was cool, windy, and overcast. But by and large the weather was great in Key West.

Mad about palms

Currently 41F here in West Pasco at 6am. Record breaking low. Old record 44F. Yesterday, under full sunny skies, it never got above 60F. Although they are predicting 80F by Tuesday afternoon, the Gulf will drop off and keep us cooler here on the coast. The seabreeze will begin blunting PM temps. 35F with frost in Brooksville (also known as the Arctic of Tampa Bay). Way too early. Not nice I tell ya! :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Evidently we got down to around 42 degrees....yikes! that's cold even for up here this time of year. Please don't let it be colder than last year.

And it is DRY!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Its very dry, got plants tumbling over because my soil mix is bone dry. Rotating them into a large container with water giving them a good 2 hour soak.

It hit 80 F @1:00 pm today in the front garden, southern exposure. I'm sure there was radiant heat coming off the asphalt street. Just 90 ft way towards the north, high of 71 F in the shade.

Evidently we got down to around 42 degrees....yikes! that's cold even for up here this time of year. Please don't let it be colder than last year.

And it is DRY!

We got down to 38, and like you dry, bone dry. I wonder where the phrase bone dry came from?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sunday low was 46.6 on the Isabelle Canal. I had to bring in my two uber tropical Areca macrocalyx Sat. night and last night. Too early for such nonsense. I barely had time to finish my mancozeb spraying.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It's warmed up, but our coldest night was the coldest since the middle of February. Chart.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

This seems to be a primarily Floridian thread and I do not know about you but at this time of year I am ready for a cool down. At the initial part of this month, in my area, we had 3 days with highs in the 70's F and lows in the 50's F. I like to consider this "California weather", which is a great break from our ordinary hot and humid weather.

This was our first break from hot weather since Feb. 2014. We are now back to our typical humid and relatively hot weather. I believe our average temperature at this time of year is 82F-68F. However, it seems hotter generally than those numbers.

I can remember spending Thanksgiving a number of years ago with my family at my Godfather's ranch in Arcadia, Florida. The highs were in the lower 90's F. It is difficult to enjoy Thanksgiving when you are sweating like stuck pork while watching football games with people wearing sweaters!

The good news is that as a Tropical Savannah, we are finally moving to dry season. Nov-May is the time to be in So. Fla. But for the mass migration from all points in the US, it would be even more delightful. Should the temperature plummet into the high 30's F or lower for a day or two that is not the end of the world. Probably the best idea is to spend May to Nov in Jackson Hole and Nov to May in PB like a good friend of mine if you are looking for the best of the best.

What you look for is what is looking

And it is DRY!

We got down to 38, and like you dry, bone dry. I wonder where the phrase bone dry came from?

From on line..."as dry as a weathered bone".

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Due to the early cold front, the Gulf is hovering in the upper 60'sF to 70F, which is below average. This is also keeping my afternoons down. Yesterday, as an example, it never rose above 71F here at the house. Yet, I was at my district office in Land O Lakes about 15 miles inland and it was 77F at 1pm. Long range is hinting at a real chill coming down next week with perhaps 40F or so for one or two nights,. I would rather have this in November than January! Still, November has been chilly, below normal. Greenhouse will begin to get covered this weekend, a little early. Not sure if I will get it all covered, but will try. :mrlooney::mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Due to the early cold front, the Gulf is hovering in the upper 60'sF to 70F, which is below average. This is also keeping my afternoons down. Yesterday, as an example, it never rose above 71F here at the house. Yet, I was at my district office in Land O Lakes about 15 miles inland and it was 77F at 1pm. Long range is hinting at a real chill coming down next week with perhaps 40F or so for one or two nights,. I would rather have this in November than January! Still, November has been chilly, below normal. Greenhouse will begin to get covered this weekend, a little early. Not sure if I will get it all covered, but will try. :mrlooney::mrlooney:

The next forecast frontal system will be monitored here.

• 2 weeks later...

The change is airmasses has been drastic. Sun and MOn had middle 80sF and high humidity with DP 70-73F under partly sunny skies. Tuesday into Wed AM had 5 inches (officially 5.1") and we were far from the heaviest in Tampa Bay. Land O Lakes/Lutz saw almost 7", as did Zephyrhills north into Sumter county. It just kept pouring and thundering. Today is chilled. Temps dropped from 71F at midnight to middle 50's by 8am and never made it above 62F. Currently a brisk 50F out. I would say 45F tonight. Tomorrow night will see frost to the north of Tampa Bay. Then, the warmup begins! A nice stretch of 75-80F is coming. November has been on the cold side, wet, and very variable. It is usually a dry, stable month. I hope winter does not do this roller coaster ride! :hmm:

Low for my new location in Palmetto for November has been 42 F. Some of my coconuts are already showing damage :(

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

After a wonderful week, next week begins the cool down. Expected highs mainly in the 60'sF with 40'sF at night. Yesterday hit 80F yet again, and this morning there is heavy fog with 65F. After over 5" of rain prior to TG, nothing since then, so rainfall would be welcomed. I am NOT a fan of cooldowns, but this is just somewhat below normal rather than cold. That said, it looks like we are the only place that will be below normal. Odd. :mrlooney::mrlooney:

A bit nippy here this morning. Looks like multiple fronts will keep the lows down for a bit. Its tolerable here but for those upstate I'm not so sure.

Loving it here in Orlando. Lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s for almost a week straight! Though the cold fronts from late December through early Feb tend to be stronger, I think the month of December in general is when we are most likely to get extended cool/chilly spells (usually without even a night getting near freezing). I also believe December to be our cloudiest month in Orlando.

50.7F on the Isabelle Canal this morning. Forecast was 48. A week of below normal temps in store - so much for a "warmer than normal Dec." Lot of clouds so far this season.

Meg

Florida

47f this morning here near the Everglades in Palm Beach County. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Meg

Florida

48F again this morning. This is tolerable weather. The problem is freeze season for central Florida didn't start until December 10 so there's a long, long way to go. With a positive Arctic Oscillation, the remainder of December "should" be safe. January is (as always) the most dangerous month.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

47f this morning here near the Everglades in Palm Beach County. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

-Randy

I actually dipped to 45 F for a brief period. Strange how the temps ranged in so many areas. Broward & Palm Beach Counties and other northern tracts often fared better then much of Miami-Dade County.