• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera on Madeira Island

Cluster

@Cluster I don't know, I want to think it's outside, I didn't know they used greenhouses.

By the way,  I've always seen 18 °C and 64.4 F and not 64 F for the tropical climate.  Do you know if the IPMA published the 1991-2020 normals yet? 

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 7:15 PM, Pargomad said:

@Cluster I don't know, I want to think it's outside, I didn't know they used greenhouses.

By the way,  I've always seen 18 °C and 64.4 F and not 64 F for the tropical climate.  Do you know if the IPMA published the 1991-2020 normals yet? 

Hello @Pargomad

The official is probably 18 C and not 64F, but sometimes you see the 64F, in any case 17.6 is still closer to 18 than 17, however if you are going to consider 81 till now, there are probably  few areas that already surpass 18. I think it makes no practical difference, do know that Havana has seen lower temperatures than South Coastal Madeira, so there are a few things that favor that cool tropical label for the warmest areas of Madeira coast.

They do have some stuff in the greenhouse as they are not sure they would survive outside, but I know that supposedly they have Euterpe oleracea outside and Annona Muricata fruiting. I do have a small Theobroma cacau that I put outside in a sheltered place from winds (My place is super super windy there) and it was putting leaves in winter.

Here are photos from last summer form Paul coconuts:

Trimmed as always but strong and healthy:

mvoxp77.jpg

10I4GNO.jpg

EBMOsXZ.jpg

8oyOapI.jpg

I could count 3 big coconuts there. Will try to visit the place this summer.

And here is the highest elevation coconut (200m/656feet) that I know of on the island, late winter 2022:

0NRDvOE.jpg

uX7KYie.jpg

Supposedly lately it has been given bunny manure so it has been growing stronger and faster.

Edited by Cluster
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Last summer I noticed that the neighbor's coconut got a deficiency:

rLME2IK.jpg

bNA9dBV.jpg

Would anyone know what it is? Maybe boron due to lack of irrigation in the summer? (I noticed no one was there during August 2021, maybe the irrigation was malfunctioning?)

The coconut has recovered slowly during the winter and spring and it seems the newest fronds are growing healthy again.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, 3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico said:

Look like Frizzle top to me.  Magnesium deficiency .  

Hello I believe you meant manganese deficiency right? At least this is what comes up with frizzle top. If it was frizzle top I believe this happens more in winter due to cold weather. In this case it happened middle/end summer. 

I am more convinced this is Boron deficiency as the leaves show wrinkling and I found this image online that is similar:

15196032413_310a0344a1_b.jpg

8828259268_6772e29848_b.jpg

From what I have read boron deficiency can happen in dry conditions where the palm will not absorb it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think I found new Cocos on Madeira, in a surprising location: Ponta Delgada, North of the island (stunning location, very green & hilly) north is usually much cooler than the south. But PDL has a unique climate, it's warmer than other towns in the north. Winter temps are around 19C and rainfall is quite abundant here about 1200mm a year (2x times more than Funchal). I don't know of any other Cocos growing in north of the island. Correct me if I'm wrong. If everything works out I should be going to Madeira in November this year, and I'll try to take close up pictures! :) 

STREET VIEW: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8235797,-16.9908193,3a,75y,262.27h,90.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB89OnbbI0I3TJDdc_Ize_Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It seems like there were two of them, I guess one died of unknown reasons, perhaps it was too cold? Too windy? I don't know. (last pic.)

Also, where do you think is the warmest place in all of Madeira? I might move there next year, so I'm looking for the best place to plant Cocos and other tropical plants. (I would appreciate some tips on how to take care of the Cocos so they're in their best shape possible, maybe I could get them looking like in Bermuda)

BONUS: Added maps. (temps, rainfall)

cocos_sep18_1.png

cocos_sep18_2.png

cocos_jun21.png

cocos_nov09.png

cocos_sep18_3_dead.png

temp.gif

rain.gif

Edited by IlyaIvanov
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Stelios said:

This looks like a ravenea rivularis not cocos. Still beautiful though.

Oh you’re right! The trunk looked a lot like Cocos, to me.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 4:44 PM, Cluster said:

Hello Stelios, thanks for the update! I hope you enjoy your stay there:) Be sure to do Caldeirão Verde walk (if the weather allows it) and with a car go from Porto Moniz till Paul da Serra and then Encumeada, if the clouds are below Paul da Serra you are in for a treat road trip.

I had to go to Madeira mid October and took some pictures of the cocos (which I have not yet updated here), they were less trimmed in October and thus looked slightly better, the dwarf one for example had a leaf that was 90 degrees down and still green, showing that if you allow it, they can keep their fronds straight down:)

Take a look:

CY7qsz1.jpg

yqzH4mY.jpg

Af4ncER.jpg

yRhMNDM.jpg

DjFp0iR.jpg

J1FKjlv.jpg

r5bA16E.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/poVwh1h.jpgpoVwh1h.jpg

This last one is the tallest and oldest one:) Keep us up to date! And PM me if you need tips!

That dwarf looks almost like in Tropics wow! I don't think we need any more proof that Madeira can have stunning cocos :) (Green Malayan Dwarf, ...If I ever plant a coconut on Madeira It will be this variety)

• Like 3

On 2/6/2019 at 10:17 PM, Cluster said:

Some years ago Kevin (Pargomad) showed us some promising cocos somewhere in Gaula. At that time I didn't give it much of a thought, I didn't know the zone well and it just got lost.This Winter I asked Alex (empireo22) if he could help me finding it with google maps and he did. I went there and this is the result:

Gaula coco, around 100 m/328 ft elevation:

Qz4wZwn.jpg

8ZZg5If.jpg

e5RvJjk.jpg

94tYkft.jpg

This is one of the best coconuts on the island (if not the best as the ones with potential are always super trimmed), I wish more people would plant them, they can look very good! Supposedly this area is not among the warmest and at this elevation it is not optimal, but the coco doesn't seem to care so who am I to disagree with it, maybe it is a warmer climate than what it is to be expected. I expect it to even look better during the years as the severe and long wind storms we had last year did affect all cocos.

Kevin when you return to Madeira you will want to pay a visit to this one!

Have a great day/night folks, have some hiking photos during my stay to share with you later.

Omg this one looks gorgeous, what variety is this one? You guys need to teach me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 12:13 AM, IlyaIvanov said:

I think I found new Cocos on Madeira, in a surprising location: Ponta Delgada, North of the island (stunning location, very green & hilly) north is usually much cooler than the south. But PDL has a unique climate, it's warmer than other towns in the north. Winter temps are around 19C and rainfall is quite abundant here about 1200mm a year (2x times more than Funchal). I don't know of any other Cocos growing in north of the island. Correct me if I'm wrong. If everything works out I should be going to Madeira in November this year, and I'll try to take close up pictures! :) 

STREET VIEW: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8235797,-16.9908193,3a,75y,262.27h,90.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB89OnbbI0I3TJDdc_Ize_Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It seems like there were two of them, I guess one died of unknown reasons, perhaps it was too cold? Too windy? I don't know. (last pic.)

Also, where do you think is the warmest place in all of Madeira? I might move there next year, so I'm looking for the best place to plant Cocos and other tropical plants. (I would appreciate some tips on how to take care of the Cocos so they're in their best shape possible, maybe I could get them looking like in Bermuda)

cocos_sep18_1.png

cocos_sep18_2.png

cocos_jun21.png

cocos_nov09.png

cocos_sep18_3_dead.png

temp.gif

rain.gif

Actually, it looks more like a majestic palm (ravenea rivularis) from Madagascar:

Ravenea rivularis - Wikipedia

The maps you sent us are kind of outdated and not very precise either. These show the temps and precipitation for the 1961-1990 period. Nowadays, the temperatures are more or less 2 degrees superior and the weather is significantly drier.

Either way, the warmest zone and most suitable place to grow tropical plants and trees (including cocos nucifera) is the southwestern coastline between Funchal (Lido) and Paúl do Mar at sea level, especially in what we call "fajãs", in other terms, a small flat piece of land, protected by high cliffs generally cultivable and located by the sea. Here's an example of a fajã in Paúl do Mar where tropical plants such as cocos, bananas, papayas, mangos, etc are grown:

Ocean Paradise plage Villa Paul Do Mar - Villa à Paul do Mar (Madère,  Portugal)

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pargomad said:

Actually, it looks more like a majestic palm (ravenea rivularis) from Madagascar:

Ravenea rivularis - Wikipedia

The maps you sent us are kind of outdated and not very precise either. These show the temps and precipitation for the 1961-1990 period. Nowadays, the temperatures are more or less 2 degrees superior and the weather is significantly drier.

Either way, the warmest zone and most suitable place to grow tropical plants and trees (including cocos nucifera) is the southwestern coastline between Funchal (Lido) and Paúl do Mar at sea level, especially in what we call "fajãs", in other terms, a small flat piece of land, protected by high cliffs generally cultivable and located by the sea. Here's an example of a fajã in Paúl do Mar where tropical plants such as cocos, bananas, papayas, mangos, etc are grown:

Ocean Paradise plage Villa Paul Do Mar - Villa à Paul do Mar (Madère,  Portugal)

That's a beautiful palm indeed! I will definitely check out Paul Do Mar and take some pictures when am there, I am going to Madeira in 2 days! For 28 days. So I will have a lot of pictures to post :) 

I also found this website: https://www.infoclimat.fr/climatologie/normales-records/1991-2020/funchal/valeurs/08522.html showing 1991-2020 normals, it seems like the lowest temps are in January (19,9 Degrees) Which is quite warm, I bet Paul Do Mar is at least 0.5 Degrees warmer. Which is similar to Bermuda or even same. (https://www.infoclimat.fr/climatologie/normales-records/1991-2020/bermuda/valeurs/78016.html

• Like 2

19 hours ago, IlyaIvanov said:

That's a beautiful palm indeed! I will definitely check out Paul Do Mar and take some pictures when am there, I am going to Madeira in 2 days! For 28 days. So I will have a lot of pictures to post :) 

I also found this website: https://www.infoclimat.fr/climatologie/normales-records/1991-2020/funchal/valeurs/08522.html showing 1991-2020 normals, it seems like the lowest temps are in January (19,9 Degrees) Which is quite warm, I bet Paul Do Mar is at least 0.5 Degrees warmer. Which is similar to Bermuda or even same. (https://www.infoclimat.fr/climatologie/normales-records/1991-2020/bermuda/valeurs/78016.html

Yes, this area seems to have the highest average temperatures of the entire island with a transitional climate between Mediterranean and tropical. I would say that the maximum temperatures are around 20 and the minimum temperatures 14-15 in winter. Here is a rough delineation of the climatic zones of the island, in blue you can see the warmest area of the island, very close to a tropical climate: 660015991_Madeira_Kppen_Geiger.thumb.jpg.8bc0b87199f8c377f33c723975eaf93c.jpg

This summer I went to Madeira for a weekend and took some pictures of the coconut trees in Paúl do Mar. Unfortunately, there weren't no fruit this time and they had been trimmed.

IMG_7973.thumb.jpg.38560e49c74758169410eff6d7ca0318.jpg

IMG_7972.thumb.JPG.5fbfcceb75b403b9bfc2f7b7a1f2239c.JPG

IMG_7952.thumb.JPG.ef17b94874e45a35a8045d8747f0cc9d.JPG 

The garden has also some impressive dypsis lutescens, howea forsteriana, roystonea regia, phoenix canariensis and even a pandanus utilis. 

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 4

The coldest month seems to be the equivalent of Southern Mediterranean November and May (comparing to Malta). It's just enough for a coconut palm not to deteriorate. Colder than that temperature range for long needs to be very carefully monitored not to over water and it will be challenging till the temperatures warm up again 

• Like 3

Hey guys, I just found out that at some point coconut trees were actually for sale on the island. I always thought that you had to import them directly from somewhere else. Here is an old photo (from 2011) of 6 cocos for sale in a nursery in Tábua, near Ribeira Brava. I guess they aren't as unavailable to purchase as I previously thought. But still, there are like 100 times more palm trees of other species available for sale such as archontophoenix and howeas, that might explain why you can see them in almost every public space or private garden on the island. 

Aucune description de photo disponible.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Are they planted in the ground inside the greenhouse and uprooted? Or are they in huge pots? 

They're planted in pots. 

• Like 3

It's surprising how palms including coconut palms manage to grow big even in fairly confined spaces. Some even in a space just with few missing tiles in the ground, some in pots and some even in small cracks 

• Like 5

On 10/18/2022 at 12:13 AM, IlyaIvanov said:

cocos_sep18_1.png

cocos_sep18_2.png

cocos_jun21.png

cocos_nov09.png

cocos_sep18_3_dead.png

temp.gif

rain.gif

@IlyaIvanovI found a more accurate map for the same period (1961-1990), but if you want an idea of what the climate is like nowadays, just add 1-2 degrees. As you can see, the warmest area is the coastline at lower elevations.

The darker orange shows the regions with temperatures superior to 18 degrees (today i would say 19-20).  You'll need to move there if you want to try to grow coconut trees, especially in the southwestern coast.  

image.thumb.png.fa86c977eb56b457b2795fba28640629.png

Be careful though, because these same areas are also the driest parts of the island, so you'll need to irrigate your cocos, especially in summer. 

image.thumb.png.20ad19991d979b813b7317423a7ed0f1.png

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 7:59 PM, Pargomad said:

Hey guys, I just found out that at some point coconut trees were actually for sale on the island. I always thought that you had to import them directly from somewhere else. Here is an old photo (from 2011) of 6 cocos for sale in a nursery in Tábua, near Ribeira Brava. I guess they aren't as unavailable to purchase as I previously thought. But still, there are like 100 times more palm trees of other species available for sale such as archontophoenix and howeas, that might explain why you can see them in almost every public space or private garden on the island. 

Aucune description de photo disponible.

what is the price of such a large coconut in the vase?

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

I have no idea, sorry. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 11:17 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

I found this website from a nursery in Holland. They seem to sell big palms including cocos. I can't see the price so I think you need to contact them.

https://www.nieuwkoop-europe.com/en/plants/palm-trees?limit=30

• Like 2

The problem with Dutch ones is that they are always greenhouse plants and not hardened for outside 

• Like 4

I really wish the people of Madeira WOULD STOP BUTCHERING their Coconut Palms there!!!  Do they actually think it makes their palms "look good", or that it is actually "necessary" for some absurd reason???  They have such a beautiful climate there, where Coconut Palms can be grown to maturity with nuts on them, yet for some crazy reason, they love to BUTCHER their palms!!!

John

• Like 4

Very true. I can admit that I am jealous of their climate. If only Malta remains above 21 degrees celsius (above 70 Fahrenheit during daytime) and above 15 degrees celcius during night time (above 59 degrees Fahrenheit) during worst of winter, it will be easier for coconut palms to survive. I am very careful to only trim away absolutely dry leaf matter only when it comes to palms. Some people just think that the pruning techniques used in dicotyledon plants and trees will work well in palms. A one size fits all approach. Not all plants are naturally pruned by herbivorous animals in the wild. Some are adapted to have their lower branches eaten, some simply grow non edible leaves which at tree maturity are mostly out of reach of herbivores (as in case of palms), therefore are less adapted for being butchered. I am only hoping that the foliar feeding,  change in fertilising technique and hardening will help more in bridging the winter months safely for my coconut palms. To make up for the more hostile cool winter time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Very true. I can admit that I am jealous of their climate. If only Malta remains above 21 degrees celsius (above 70 Fahrenheit during daytime) and above 15 degrees celcius during night time (above 59 degrees Fahrenheit) during worst of winter, it will be easier for coconut palms to survive. I am very careful to only trim away absolutely dry leaf matter only when it comes to palms. Some people just think that the pruning techniques used in dicotyledon plants and trees will work well in palms. A one size fits all approach. Not all plants are naturally pruned by herbivorous animals in the wild. Some are adapted to have their lower branches eaten, some simply grow non edible leaves which at tree maturity are mostly out of reach of herbivores (as in case of palms), therefore are less adapted for being butchered. I am only hoping that the foliar feeding,  change in fertilising technique and hardening will help more in bridging the winter months safely for my coconut palms. To make up for the more hostile cool winter time. 

Hi Jonathan,

I am curious, what is the normal high/low temp in January there, or whatever the coldest month is in Farenheit?  Are you in the central part of the island?  And I am curious, is the southernmost coast of Malta, significantly milder in the winter than where you are?

John

P.S.  What about the coastal areas of North Africa, are they mild enough in the wintertime for Coconut Palms to grow?  I have a Facebook friend who lives in Cairo, and he has baby Coconut Palms that he will be planting when they are a little bigger, and his neighbor has one in his yard that appears to be about 10 feet tall in overall height.

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Like 4

To begin with one has to explain the difference of living on small islands vs living on large continent. The difference between daytime and night time temperatures on small islands is narrower than that of large continents. I live in Malta, roughly the 10th smallest country in the world. I live in the centre of Malta, a town called Attard. Therefore the farthest away from the sea from all the island and just around 10.1km away from the closest seashore. Attard is 100m above sea level. The averages in the shade in January are 16 degrees celcius (60.8 degrees Fahrenheit) during midday and 9 degrees celcius (48.2 degrees celcius) at night. Also since we live on small islands, the sea temperature has a lot of influence on our atmospheric temperature. In fact it's like chill weather arrives late (usually after Christmas) and drags quite long for the first months to the first trimester of spring.. That's because the coldest sea temperature here is usually in March (due to the large specific heat capacity of water). Also Malta enjoys some 3000 hours sunshine per year therefore temperatures in the sun are above 21 degrees celsius (above 70 degrees Fahrenheit), in direct sun in January during sunny days. Though the temperatures on the first 5 months are mostly correct and the last two months are mostly correct, June, July, August, September and October are definitely always warmer than what's shown on the screen shot. I pasted Fahrenheit top and celcius bottom pictures. The time in Malta when the temperature screenshot was taken is 20:31. I will attach Attard and Birzebbugia (the Southern most on the south east of Malta) as a comparison 

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-26-43-346_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-26-50-607_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-27-11-101_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-27-40-060_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-36-05-241_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-35-53-342_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Maltese coconut project
  • Like 2

Birzebbugia (South East) vs Attard (centre) Malta 8th December 2022 time 20:39. Most of the temperature difference is probably due to the altitude rather than the horizontal distance from the sea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

To begin with one has to explain the difference of living on small islands vs living on large continent. The difference between daytime and night time temperatures on small islands is narrower than that of large continents. I live in Malta, roughly the 10th smallest country in the world. I live in the centre of Malta, a town called Attard. Therefore the farthest away from the sea from all the island and just around 10.1km away from the closest seashore. Attard is 100m above sea level. The averages in the shade in January are 16 degrees celcius (60.8 degrees Fahrenheit) during midday and 9 degrees celcius (48.2 degrees celcius) at night. Also since we live on small islands, the sea temperature has a lot of influence on our atmospheric temperature. In fact it's like chill weather arrives late (usually after Christmas) and drags quite long for the first months to the first trimester of spring.. That's because the coldest sea temperature here is usually in March (due to the large specific heat capacity of water). Also Malta enjoys some 3000 hours sunshine per year therefore temperatures in the sun are above 21 degrees celsius (above 70 degrees Fahrenheit), in direct sun in January during sunny days. Though the temperatures on the first 5 months are mostly correct and the last two months are mostly correct, June, July, August, September and October are definitely always warmer than what's shown on the screen shot. I pasted Fahrenheit top and celcius bottom pictures. The time in Malta when the temperature screenshot was taken is 20:31. I will attach Attard and Birzebbugia (the Southern most on the south east of Malta) as a comparison 

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-26-43-346_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-26-50-607_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-27-11-101_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-08-20-27-40-060_com.android.chrome.jpg

Okay, thanks.  So, the average high/low there in F for December is 63F/51F, and for January and February is 60F/48F?  If that is the case, I honestly do not see how you could even grow the more cold hardy varieties of Coconut Palms there.  That is just too chilly for too long for any variety of Coconut Palm that I know of.  I live in a marginal climate for them, and it is somewhat difficult to grow them where I live, but they do fine here in milder winters, and hold their own, but don't look so good for a while in normal winters.  Our normal highs/lows here in this part of December right now are 71F/51F, and in January, the normal high/low cools off to 66F/47F at the airport (about 20 miles inland from my location), and I estimate that at my house near the water of the Laguna Madre that separates the small peninsula of Flour Bluff, where I live from North Padre Island, to be 65F/50F, which would give me an overall average temp of 57.5F for the month of January, which means the soil temps with get down to that for a while in January, even in normal winters, which is below the magic number of 60F for a minimum wintertime soil temp of 60F for Coconut Palms.  Some varieties, can handle soil temps for a relatively short period of time in the upper 50'sF, say for a few weeks up to about a month or 5 weeks duration maximum, but cannot survive two straight months of soil temps as low as 54F, which is apparently what your average soil temps would be there for the months of January and February, after an average soil temp of 57F in December.  The more cold hardy varieties can actually take an occasional light freeze every few years, and a light to moderate frost every year or so easier than they can take 2 to 3 straight months of chilly weather with highs only in the low 60'sF and lows in the upper 40'sF to low 50'sF.  It is for this reason, that no varieties of Coconut Palms can be grown at all throughout about 90% + of Southern California due to their chilly damp prolonged winters there, even though there are some locations of Coastal Southern California that have Climate Zone 10B/borderline 11A Climates in which they almost never have a light freeze, or even a frost.  There are a few exceptions with microclimates in Southern California that make it just possible to grow the more cold hardy varieties even to trunking height in those very limited localized microclimates,  where the normal highs/lows are just high enough to grow them in those very limited locations.  Here where I live on the South Texas Coast, even though at my place the normal high/low is approximately 65F/50F in January, it is not unusual to have several days in a row in the mid to upper 70'sF and occasionally a few days in January with high temps around 80F, and that is what pushes me over the edge into the realm of probability of getting the more cold hardy varieties of Coconut Palms to make it through my winters here, and the fact that by late February, we really start warming up quickly here, and by March, consistently have high temps in the low to mid 70'sF with the occasional cold front dropping temps again for a few days.  And of course, here, our late springs, summers, and late into the fall is quite warm with highs consistently in the 80'sF and 90'sF, with lows in the 60'sF and 70'sF.  Our normal high/low here in July is 95F/76F at the airport as I recall, and 93F/78F I estimate at my place in July.

John

• Like 1

Which brings us to try foliar fertilizer. In freezing climates, the problem with most tropical plants is that they don't possess antifreeze which makes the water inside them freeze and damage the cells due to the expansion of ice inside cells.. But that's never the problem here. So what is the major threat here? The prolonged chills. But what is the exact scientific reason fir this phenomenon? Most of it is due to difficulty absorbing nutrients from soil via roots during chilling temperatures. So how can we compensate for this problem? The answer is foliar feeding. This is my first time that I am using foliar feeding and high potassium and magnesium fertilisation techniques.. We'll see the results after April 2023. I have photos of coconut palms that survived winter 2020-2021 which was quite mild here.  I will compare the new photos every month with those back then and monitor the green colouration of the palms 

• Like 2

Wow that's some zone pushing I like! I never knew that there were Coconuts on Madeira. I only knew about the Canary Islands. I always assumed Madeira was too cool. What an interesting climate!

Edited by Hortulanus
  • Like 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

1 hour ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Which brings us to try foliar fertilizer. In freezing climates, the problem with most tropical plants is that they don't possess antifreeze which makes the water inside them freeze and damage the cells due to the expansion of ice inside cells.. But that's never the problem here. So what is the major threat here? The prolonged chills. But what is the exact scientific reason fir this phenomenon? Most of it is due to difficulty absorbing nutrients from soil via roots during chilling temperatures. So how can we compensate for this problem? The answer is foliar feeding. This is my first time that I am using foliar feeding and high potassium and magnesium fertilisation techniques.. We'll see the results after April 2023. I have photos of coconut palms that survived winter 2020-2021 which was quite mild here.  I will compare the new photos every month with those back then and monitor the green colouration of the palms 

Good luck, just be careful to only apply the foliar spray fertilizer on warmer days with high temps of at least 69F or 70F, preferably higher, as foliar sprays fertilizers are water based and you don't want water sitting in the crown and bud that gets chilly there for any length of time.  Here, where I live, fortunately there are a lot of days over the course of the wintertime with high temps above 70F, so I have a lot more days to choose from to apply the foliar spray I use.  And be sure to not apply it if rain is predicted within the next 48 hours, because you want the foliar fertilizer to get absorbed into the crown and bud before it would be significantly diluted by rain.

John

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

I am using the foliar fertilizer during midday, the warmest part of the day 

That's good.

• Like 2