• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera on Madeira Island

Cluster

On 9/26/2020 at 8:59 PM, lzorrito said:

Thanks for sharing! Madeira, the pearl of the Atlantic, enchanting as always! I simply love Madeira's north coast. You should post some Laurissilva forest photos. That "Cabeço Penha d'Águia" photo is just great. BTW, what about some Botanical garden photos...and also some from the private "secret gardens" on Funchal's hills and their amazing palms?

On 9/27/2020 at 2:27 AM, palmfriend said:

Beautiful pictures as always!!:greenthumb:

Thank you very much for updating us!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Thank you all!

In regards to that picture with the Penha de Águia, it is not the same spot, this one is in Boaventura, but just as cool:). From time to time I do go to some gardens and share some pictures. I did not go to many this year, I was however inside the Laurisilva rainforest for a while^^.

I covered many coconuts during this summer, but I forgot or had no battery for my normal camera, most of the times, so smartphone will have to do!

Without further due here are some updates from the marina cocos, early August. I will say that they really stripped them down this year around May:(

This is the first one within the row which has the Dwarf one:

tqQTFPV.jpg

And then the others that end with the dwarf:

Dnni3Qc.jpg

The one before the dwarf has some cocos:

mDP0i48.jpg

I  have to admit I become a bit frustrated as I want to see ripen coconuts and there is a topic in the climate thread that discuss the fruitification of coconuts in marginal zones. I think after I update all "my coconuts" in this thread I will add my thoughts in a more detailed manner on why they fruit and don't hold and what we can try to do to overcome that. For now I will just add this in regards to the marina coconuts, the fruits and fronds eventually get trimmed (this is not good for a coconut and especially in a cooler climate, palm may enter in shock and redirect its energy for survival), plus they seem to lack enough water which I have read is crucial as well , sometimes it just does not get pollinated and dies, these are just some facts on top of the cool weather (compared to their native environment).  In any case if they did not trim the fruits we would be seeing ripen coconuts more often, I am pretty confident.

Next we have the trimmed Dwarf:

gRjMjNq.jpg

CTec5O4.jpg

Despite the trimming you can see it has a lot of strength, it has many healthy inflorescences.

Next up we have the biggest coconut in Madeira (or is it? As I have checked the Ponta do Sol coconut at 170m/557 ft this August and it looks as tall, maybe more so):

W2gzhyz.jpg

hcfli4g.jpg

I believe it has some pollinated coconuts (you guys be the judge), it is the first time I see it myself and seeing this is the furthest away coconut it could explain that:

vbejqhS.jpg

Ok this is all for now, more updates will follow:)

Edited by Cluster
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

On 10/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Cluster said:

In regards to that picture with the Penha de Águia, it is not the same spot, this one is in Boaventura, but just as cool:). From time to time I do go to some gardens and share some pictures. I did not go to many this year, I was however inside the Laurisilva rainforest for a while^^.

Boaventura! Ups...! It really looked liked Penha de Águia:blush:...and, yes, very cool! Waiting for gardens pics, then.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Cluster said:

or now I will just add this in regards to the marina coconuts, the fruits and fronds eventually get trimmed (this is not good for a coconut and especially in a cooler climate, palm may enter in shock and redirect its energy for survival), plus they seem to lack enough water which I have read is crucial as well , sometimes it just does not get pollinated and dies, these are just some facts on top of the cool weather (compared to their native environment).  In any case if they did not trim the fruits we would be seeing ripen coconuts more often, I am pretty confident.

The entity responsible for the entire port area is APRAM, right? Is it possible to contact the person(s) responsible for the garden area and raise awareness on this issue of pruning and irrigation?

How about sharing this post with them and also with the Regional Government, the president's "gardener" passion is well known, as well as his world famous collection of roses. It may be that it sensitizes them.

BTW, great photos!:greenthumb: Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 9:18 PM, Maltese coconut project said:

I will take them downstairs. I have an entrance with a ceiling from which light passes through from the east. I will put some in our small garden too sheltered under the terrace

let me know how it goes and if they survive the cool winter ... I follow with pleasure

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I just found a beautiful photo of the coconut palm located in the gardens of the Pestana Royal hotel in Funchal. Can someone tell me the variety please?

Thank you

527993029_www.instagram.com_p_Bm0lEeogkpA__hlfr.png.226dcb99f41ecf896447c72512271abc.png

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone thank you for the posts! I have been super busy with the new job, but on vacations finally so will be back to you:)

On 10/6/2020 at 7:25 PM, lzorrito said:

The entity responsible for the entire port area is APRAM, right? Is it possible to contact the person(s) responsible for the garden area and raise awareness on this issue of pruning and irrigation?

I think they are indeed responsible, but I have tried to save Madalena do Mar coconut from the storm surge and was mostly ignored. So I don't have a lot of hope, maybe I will try to send them an email one of these days, I have thought about it before.

On 11/17/2020 at 1:30 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

@ClusterC   hello dear i was wondering if you can't pick nuts from those palm trees? And ship them to europe ? I would gladly try to sprout it here in italy...

Hello Alessandro, I like your enthusiasm:). Here is the thing, the fruits and fronds are pruned and so we end up having no coconuts the lack of irrigation in summer/spring for many of them, we also need more pollen in some places (where they are alone and are not dwarf). I think it would always be hard but doable in less quantities. I say this because I have seen them in Paul do Mar, totally mature. I would need to rely on the few private owners to try  and get a few to mature. The problem is that I don't know any. I am trying to change that and I am also trying to convince friends/family with warm gardens to plant them, so it is an ongoing project. If/when this happens I could send ship them to Europe, it should be no problem.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:06 PM, Pargomad said:

Hey guys, 

I just found a beautiful photo of the coconut palm located in the gardens of the Pestana Royal hotel in Funchal. Can someone tell me the variety please?

Thank you

527993029_www.instagram.com_p_Bm0lEeogkpA__hlfr.png.226dcb99f41ecf896447c72512271abc.png

I have no clue what variety it is. I know the palms from that hotel came from Florida, though. So maybe some southerners with more experience can guess it better than us:)

• Upvote 1

Here are some more coconuts from August:

The Golden Dwarf:

ZOPd4PL.jpg

The hotel coconut:

taiHu9d.jpg

um1w5a1.jpg

This one has been growing very healthy, I am still not sure whether this one is a dwarf or not. Since it is not fruiting yet, I believe it might not be a dwarf, the trunk also seems a bit fat for a dwarf.

Paul do Mar coconuts:

iALQsY3.jpg

NKChgh7.jpg

They were very trimmed, but as always these are very healthy. They are the most healthy coconuts I know on Madeira Island despite being very trimmed, they may also indicate this could be one of the warmest places on the island.

It also seems we have another coconut being developed in Paul, but this time it is the right coconut, if you look more closely it looks like there is a big one there:

CDtOClI.jpg

I also found Kevin's coconut in a private apartment of Lido:

ysTXQL8.jpg

Looks healthy but need to bring the camera to zoom in better as I can't go inside.

That is all for today:)

• Like 7

Hi,

despite being trimmed maybe a bit too much they look very healthy! 

Nice images and thank you very much for keeping going on with this documentation -

I enjoy every posted image!

Lars 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cluster said:

Here are some more coconuts from August:

The Golden Dwarf:

ZOPd4PL.jpg

The hotel coconut:

taiHu9d.jpg

um1w5a1.jpg

This one has been growing very healthy, I am still not sure whether this one is a dwarf or not. Since it is not fruiting yet, I believe it might not be a dwarf, the trunk also seems a bit fat for a dwarf.

Paul do Mar coconuts:

iALQsY3.jpg

NKChgh7.jpg

They were very trimmed, but as always these are very healthy. They are the most healthy coconuts I know on Madeira Island despite being very trimmed, they may also indicate this could be one of the warmest places on the island.

It also seems we have another coconut being developed in Paul, but this time it is the right coconut, if you look more closely it looks like there is a big one there:

CDtOClI.jpg

I also found Kevin's coconut in a private apartment of Lido:

ysTXQL8.jpg

Looks healthy but need to bring the camera to zoom in better as I can't go inside.

That is all for today:)

Thanks for the answer!

Wow I really missed your photos, so stunning! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

congratulations for the palm trees are beautiful! beware of stagnant water in the pot, it can be counterproductive ... thank you very much for the photos ... we hope for a nice and quick spring

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:30 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

congratulations for the palm trees are beautiful! beware of stagnant water in the pot, it can be counterproductive ... thank you very much for the photos ... we hope for a nice and quick spring

They really absorb water quickly even during winter.. Very surprising 

• Upvote 1

Hi,

they look very healthy - all the best for them!

Do you have plans to put them or at least of them in a the ground one day?

I am not sure about your winter lows but a protected spot should make it possible

to enjoy them for many years.

Thank you for your update - and @Cluster, no hijacking intended!

Lars

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will choose the best two and plant in the garden when they exceed two meters in height. Maybe choose a third one for the front of the house. The rest I will sell probably 

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the warm reception, don't worry about hijacking this thread :) 

I wish you luck with your Malta experience, the weather has been quite warmer there from what I can tell and quiet cooler in Portugal this winter.

Today's guest is one I haven't visited for a few years, it is the coconut from Ponta do Sol at a higher altitude 170 m/558 ft! Previously I thought this was the one growing at the highest elevation on the island, but then found out a younger one in Funchal at 200 m/656 ft, but I digress. 

It may be the tallest coconut on the island or the one in the Marina.

And this is how it looks in August:

S0OHHFm.jpg

vVUdHCD.jpg

TFDtv4o.jpg

gWNe3AR.jpg

Minor issues with the wind but it holds many fronds. If you look closely you can see some old inflorescences at this elevation.

It was well worth the visit! I see more potential in Madeira coconuts as I gather information from locals and see them thriving at higher elevations, one can only wonder what a dedicated coconut fan would manage in lower elevations with good soil:)

Best regards,

Pedro

Edited by Cluster
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Nice pictures, it really looks healthy despite the altitude. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Here's a old photograph from about 10 years ago when there used to be two exemplars. 

261975852_post-5641-0236130001308087930.thumb.JPG.669b83062957863f19a196914559181e.JPG

Have you been following the climate in Madeira on the IPMA website? It has been one of the coldest years there due to the storm Filomena. I hope it didn't cause any damage to the coconut trees or any other tropical palm or tree. 

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 2

I have checked it yes, but the scary things was the amount of rain that fell in a few days, not so much about the temperatures. I may get some photos soon, all is fine;)

By the way they used to be two coconuts before indeed, but the owner had to cut the 2nd one has it was leaning towards the other house:(

Edited by Cluster
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 7:14 PM, Cluster said:

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the warm reception, don't worry about hijacking this thread :) 

I wish you luck with your Malta experience, the weather has been quite warmer there from what I can tell and quiet cooler in Portugal this winter.

Today's guest is one I haven't visited for a few years, it is the coconut from Ponta do Sol at a higher altitude 170 m/558 ft! Previously I thought this was the one growing at the highest elevation on the island, but then found out a younger one in Funchal at 200 m/656 ft, but I digress. 

It may be the tallest coconut on the island or the one in the Marina.

And this is how it looks in August:

S0OHHFm.jpg

vVUdHCD.jpg

TFDtv4o.jpg

gWNe3AR.jpg

Minor issues with the wind but it holds many fronds. If you look closely you can see some old inflorescences at this elevation.

It was well worth the visit! I see more potential in Madeira coconuts as I gather information from locals and see them thriving at higher elevations, one can only wonder what a dedicated coconut fan would manage in lower elevations with good soil:)

Best regards,

Pedro

Absolutely beautiful, I have been reading through this thread and I am so surprised and impressed to see so many large coconuts on Madeira Island. My family is Portuguese and I have been to mainland Portugal before and I absolutely love the country, there are lots of amazing palms there! Thank you so much Pedro for keeping us updated with all of the great photos, I really appreciate them. Madeira looks like an incredibly beautiful and palm-filled place and I really want to visit some day! Thank you and take care!

PalmsUSA

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I can rest my mind that practically the Coconut on my rooftop in Malta have survived winter and I saw some new foliage too 

IMG_20210312_211300.jpg

IMG_20210312_211255.jpg

IMG_20210312_211239.jpg

IMG_20210312_211232.jpg

• Like 1

really beautiful the project you are doing is really beautiful ... I hope to finally see the coconut growing in malta in a sunny and sheltered place ... I hope one day to see them in southern Italy as well

1 hour ago, Aleitalyyy said:

really beautiful the project you are doing is really beautiful ... I hope to finally see the coconut growing in malta in a sunny and sheltered place ... I hope one day to see them in southern Italy as well

Try with supermarket coconut and grow them yourself. Try a similar method that I did. Chances are better than buying greenhouse ones 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/3/2021 at 10:29, Maltese coconut project said:

Prova con il cocco del supermercato e coltivali tu stesso. Prova un metodo simile che ho fatto io. Le probabilità sono migliori rispetto all'acquisto di quelli in serra 

Il mio cocco  italiano lidl

16175245915901969613473739745549.jpg

16175246407214975999994478070766.jpg

16175246801277619067233612202526.jpg

On 3/16/2021 at 2:04 PM, SouthSeaNate said:

Well done.  Yes Coconuts here need to be grown against a south facing wall ideally & out of cold winds. There were a few in pots outside a cafe on the seafront in Bugibba that survived the winter a couple of years back, but because of their exposed position they looked very tatty & wind burnt. I had a close look at them & they did have firm green spears, but unfortunately the cafe owner got rid of them before they could recover. These were however the stretched, force grown ones that you buy at LIDL, to have the best chance at succeeding with them you need to grow one yourself, like you have done.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:18 AM, Aleitalyyy said:

13 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

Il mio cocco  italiano lidl

16175245915901969613473739745549.jpg

16175246407214975999994478070766.jpg

16175246801277619067233612202526.jpg

Verissimo. Funziona veramente e ai piu chance di trovare un variante resistente a temperature basse

On 5/4/2021 at 00:28, Maltese coconut project said:

Ai trovato uno con il husk? 

mine is a coconut of the elongated ones bought in May 2020 ... kept indoors this winter .... next month I plan to put it back out

I see.. All the coconut I have are all the dehusked ones, the ones meant for eating.. Most of them still from Lidl. I never was lucky to find the ready one because they get purchased very rapidly 

17 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

I see.. All the coconut I have are all the dehusked ones, the ones meant for eating.. Most of them still from Lidl. I never was lucky to find the ready one because they get purchased very rapidly 

Lidl only get the coconut plants in once a year, in June lol. They do have some for sale though at Sherries Garden Centre & Callus garden Centre sometimes has them available too. It's a shame they don't stock a wider variety of palms though.

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

I didn't wait so I learnt how to germinate dehusked ones instead.  Do you live in Malta? You're familiar with the shops here I noticed. 

17 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

I didn't wait so I learnt how to germinate dehusked ones instead.  Do you live in Malta? You're familiar with the shops here I noticed. 

Yes I live in St. Paul's Bay

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Mi piacerebbe molto trovare una qualità tahitiana gialla o rossa ... ma è difficile, su ebay si trova solo noce a prezzi folli ... dalle mie parti qui in Liguria è una palma poco usata ... quindi anche a lidl quando ci sono piante le trovi da diversi giorni ... poi ci sono 2 lidl vicini nella mia zona ... in altri posti non le ho mai viste ... nemmeno nei giardini center... concime la mia noce di cocco ogni volta che innaffio con fertilizzante liquido ... mi sta dando molte soddisfazioni ... penso che ora sia una palma molto più forte di quando l'ho comprata ... vediamo quest'estate che crescita avviene ...

Edited by Aleitalyyy

10 hours ago, SouthSeaNate said:

Yes I live in St. Paul's Bay

Ah I see.. I live in Attard. Pleasure to know you. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Aleitalyyy said:

here is my coconut that finally the day I put it out .... maybe the summer has arrived.

20210424_105717.jpg

20210424_105651.jpg

Mine had some rough time with Eastern and North Eastern winds. There was a start in separation of leaflets and I helped them to get separated so other wind episodes won't damage them 

IMG_20210420_090322.jpg

• Upvote 1

yes I also separated the leaflets ... I still keep it at home because it is cold at night ... I see that yours are quite well ... let's hope for new foliage now ...