IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden Late Summer into Fall.

Palm crazy

Palm crazy- Have you tried planting any parajubaea's? I think it'd be a near good fit for you since they are more "cool" loving palms. Although, I've heard they are also pretty tolerant of most anything you throw at them and are cold hardy to the low 20's. I've heard even lower for mature specimens. The torallyi is supposedly the most cold hardy of the species.

Palm crazy- Have you tried planting any parajubaea's? I think it'd be a near good fit for you since they are more "cool" loving palms. Although, I've heard they are also pretty tolerant of most anything you throw at them and are cold hardy to the low 20's. I've heard even lower for mature specimens. The torallyi is supposedly the most cold hardy of the species.

This is a useful article. http://www.desertnorthwest.com/articles/cocoid_hybrids.html

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for asking, tried one a few years ago and it died the first winter at 15F, with protection LOL! Not hardy here at all, trust me if they were they would be everywhere. Hybrid parajubaea would be a better choice here. Jubaea x P. torallyi would be the way to go. I’ve had somewhat good results with BxQ and JxBxQ…with overhead canopy.

Don’t think Parajubaea is hardy here, haven’t herd of anyone trying one that has live for more than a few winters. This weeks weather… http://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Olympia.html the airport is a little colder than in town so maybe, (thats a big maybe) I might squeak by without a freeze.

Looks like the polar vortex will just brush us with the first freeze of the year this coming Tuesday, expecting lows around 30F-33F, its all ready cold here this time of year anyways with are average daytime high only at 50F, and in a few more weeks will be in the 40’s for daytime highs for the next three months. 45F is a common temp come December and January. lows in the 30’s. I may have to cut back the big red bananas and winter them inside soon.

Edited by Palm crazy

benr- Awesome read, I favorited it for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting. I'd almost certainly have to go the hybrid route, as well. The vortex will do the same here. Although we will get hit more directly than you all will, we are forecasted to get to around the same temperatures for 1, possibly 2 nights. Typical this time of year so I guess we can't complain Ha.

Meanwhile, we're still unseasonably warm here in the Bay Area...80s this weekend and mid-50s at night. Long may it last...we need rain though.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That's awesome. Wish we had the 80's, but the low 70's and some sun suits me just fine down here.

A few interesting things happening in the garden and weather this week.

First here is another art project I did this one was fun.

Before.

DSC00003_zps83cfc0e3.jpg

DSC00051_zpsa2f6c835.jpg

BxQ

DSC00046_zps3ab786ca.jpg

Butia two years in the ground. It double in size this summer, almost 6’.

DSC00037_zps619b1c8f.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Wonder how long these will stay evergreen.

DSC00014_zps502f9902.jpg

Back patio

DSC00073_zps7d7ed507.jpg

Piggy backing this fern on another fern. :)

DSC00018_zps27d6587c.jpg

DSC00022copy_zps3b9b2986.jpg

Newest plant I am testing over the winter…not even hardy…. :hmm:

DSC00041_zps488a1acd.jpg

Last night was our first freeze at 30.6F/ −1.1C. Not to much damage showing yet but we still have a few more nights in the low 30’s. Only in the 40’s for highs.

Brought a few tender plants inside the unheated garage hoping to overwinter them.

Red banana is one of them. Thats all for now. Hope everyone is going good in this polar vortex.

DSC00022_zps194be57e.jpg

You have so much beautiful color in your garden. Even your hand truck is painted!

Thanks Smithgn, I would say that 80% of my garden consist of plants that stay evergreen year round. Its important to have the bones of the garden be hardy so incase of a really bad winter you still have something to look at.

That hand truck is an oldie, use to be bright red now its dusty pink. Most of the tender summer flowering plants are now killed back for the winter. Finally going to warm back up to the 50’s.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the nice comment. I’ll post more later in the week.

That's a really good tactic, as far as making sure most of your plants stay green all year. It really does have a slightly negative emotional effect (at least for me) to see things dying as the temperatures drop. Another reason why I hate myrtle crepes so much, people have them growing EVERYWHERE around here and they're the first trees to lose most all of their foliage. But that's a different story ha

We have a lot of evergreens trees and shrubs and they are all winer hardy so no protecting is necessary. Only the tender stuff like canna, banana, gingers die back in winter everything else is hardy and evergreen.

Some cold pics ahead, may want to look away. LOL!

Heres some exotic weeds that come up every summer. Echium pininana grow to 9’-12’ tall when they bloom but they are a little tender.

DSC00024_zps898f2f55.jpg

My first time growing Gunnera…the cold has made the veins stand out.

DSC00019_zps6b428eaf.jpg

Bananas before sunrise and after sunrise. Low this week was 22F/-5.5C.

DSC00012_zps30cbe067.jpg

DSC00013_zps7ecf22c2.jpg

More banana damage, I don’t protect them and if they should die back to the ground they’ll still grow 8’ of trunk in one season.

DSC00018_zps35f9ffa5.jpg

Brought these tender palms inside for the winter two weeks ago. Notice the green bananas in the window. LOL!

DSC00003_zps646db59a.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few pics on this rainy mild weekend. Fire tree is showing some nice fall color.

DSC00024_zps1270dca4.jpg

A friend brought me this cool looking yucca for thanksgiving dinner party. How nice and thoughtful, but seriously who brings a plant to the thanks giving dinner, love yea sweetie. LOL! Best friend ever!

DSC00014_zps4c2735c3.jpg

Lots of Yuletide flowers this season.

DSC00032_zps6ecf2739.jpg

Had some cold two weeks ago and got down to 22F and 24F. I don’t see any physical damage to Pseudopanax laetus but two stems broke maybe from wind. It’s a mystery.

DSC00008_zps62125725.jpg

Some of my cordylines got the color zapped out of them from the cold event.

Red star.

DSC00015_zpse0d9bd5e.jpg

Cherry sensation not to cherrie anymore.

DSC00018_zps315cf7a7.jpg

While others where just fine as can be.

DSC00030_zps411f4ea7.jpg

DSC00011_zps27f43b0d.jpg

Green cordylines australis are pretty hardy.

DSC00039_zps4d3946e9.jpg

Did some transplanting the other day. Move this Daphne to make room for another cool plant. Notice the leaf damage.

DSC00002_zps2f7f815b.jpg

Tranplanted this Grevillea to the backyard so I can enjoy the flowers this winter.

DSC00011_zps2c2021ff.jpg

Loaded with flowers for winter.

DSC00018_zps4bb2b56f.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Last one is butia capitata green form, not has hardy as most butia but very cool looking and made a nice recovery from last winters spear pull. Also don’t do as I did and plant in the pathway, LOL!

DSC00034_zps2b06d75d.jpg

Heres something really crazy I am thinking about doing to remake my little desert garden. New southwest inspired retaining wall, its a work in progress since what looks good on paper doesn’t look so good in real life. LOL very wild looking.

DSC00002_zpsbff19776.jpg

All for now and Happy Thanks giving.

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my last updates for fall. Had two short but pronounce cold spells one in Nov. the other early Dec. 21F/-6.1C twice, 24F/-4.4C five times. Nothing really damage that wasn’t already gone.

DSC00021_zps61df53d0.jpg

DSC00056_zpsfa607567.jpg

DSC00025_zpsc68d8e62.jpg

DSC00041_zps1c3929fd.jpg

This is just a great garden......unbelievable that it is 8a.......what are your canopy trees? The key looks like achieving dappled sun over the entire garden? Just a really beautiful tour.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

This is just a great garden......unbelievable that it is 8a.......what are your canopy trees? The key looks like achieving dappled sun over the entire garden? Just a really beautiful tour.

Thanks David. The most tree planted here is trachycarpus. Have some 90 year old pear, bing cherry, apple tree on the SW side of the garden. Peach trees which start blooming here in late march in front side of the house which is south facing. Other trees are two very large old english holly tree that the robins like to eat in winter. Other trees that are evergreen, wheel tree- trochodendron aralioides, magnolia, eucalyptus, fastia. Tree that are not evergreen are bananas, silk tree, butterfly tree, emborthium, schefflera still small. All the sun loving palms get around 5-6 hours of full sun and dabble rest of the day. The garden is also surrounded by big tall hedges that block the cold winds in winter.

If I live in a more warmer climate my garden would look something like this garden…

Again thanks for looking.

Edited by Palm crazy