IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung in the south

Kennybenjamin

Must be my turn to start one of these threads... I'll start by mentioning our local Brisbane weather has been pretty good the last week or 2.

We had a long winter that had nice enough days but the low minimum temps were the worst they have been for many years, spring has been a long time coming but it has definitely arrived.

Welcome to the Southern Hemisphere spring!! Let's all hope it a good one!

Our biggest risk is a dry warm spring which IMHO is quite likely??

Yes Spring is here. After enduring my first winter down here, it turned out to be the driest and one of the warmer ones, but also one of the coldest for extreme mins. It's been a real mixed bag and more like a winter from way inland than 9km from the ocean. Anyway, the worst most destructive cold front came through in spring this week and snapped the biggest leaf off my two leaf R borinquena. So this week until about Thursday felt like winter again, but things are looking like they're warming up mid next week. The average temps are in an upward direction anyway.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We've had a really cold winter for average minimums. August averaged about 5 below normal, and no minimum managed to get to normal or above. September so far has been the same up until the last couple of days. But the daily maximums have been slightly above right through. The last few days we've been up to 38, and today 39. However, humidity is still a bit low which explains why the extremes. So spring is here and every day is one day closer to rain.

I did a posting on my Facebook about this as well... I just experienced for the first time in my life start of spring for the second time in one year! Hooray! :)

Southwest

Perth is heading for a top of 30c next Saturday, hopefully the worst of the weather is behind us now and we can start growing some palms.

Neat. I noticed a chill for the first night where I am at so I know winter is on its way. I have never been to AUS.. perhaps someday I will have the opportunity to make it there! I would love to see it but for now I will have to just look at all the great gardens through pics. I have a feeling if I travel there I will not come back to the US..and get lost in a forest somewhere.

I will do my best to add temperature conversions in my future posts.. I forget that there are people all over the world on this website.

Have a wonderful Spring down unduh!

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Thanks SailorBold. Come down and take a look at Australia one day.

Down here on the south coast, they're forecasting two 27C days on Sat and Sun then 80% chance of 5-10mm of rain. Yeehaaaa. That's summer weather for these parts. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Forecast of 30 for wed! Pretty exciting stuff. Time to throw out the fert and water I think. I could be waiting a while otherwise if I wait for rain

We have been lucky here and had 2 nice downpours since Sat totaling 16mm...nothing to write home about , but better than none at all. Forecast for today is warm with a severe storm later... :)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

There talking it up storm wise,for northern NSW and SEQLD so fingers crossed for some nice rain, and maybe a top up for the water tanks

I still dropped to 1.9C this morning. A noticeable change will be happening about Wed, Thur. If the forecast is right, the switch will be flicked to "warm" about then. The new forecast temp is 26C on Sat and another two days of 25C which I can live with. The minimums follow in the upward direction and the likelihood of heavy rain is high as well.

Looks like my Beerwah garden got some nice rain today. Will be visiting soon and calling into some nurseries, try for a palm society meeting as well, need a massive palm injection and soon.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The temp is sure warming up here over the last few days, no rain for me though...... The hose is back in serious action!

Yep, it sure is warming up and my palms are starting to grow a little quicker now. No rain for me today though - just a sprinkle. Anyway, I'm off to Arnhemland, NT this Sunday, no doudt it will be nice and warm up there.

Got .5 of a mill here :bummed: Im hearing ya Ben the hose is going into over drive here, would love some good rain, but I am very happy that everything is starting to grow again

The weekend looks promising.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yeah, so much for the severe storm...we got 0.3mm and about 20 rumbles of thunder...

Hopefully more decent rainfall to come...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I've recorded 28C the last two days, even though the official temp was closer to 21C. Tomorrow the official forecast is for 26C, so it will be interesting to see what tomorrow's temp will max out at. Then Sunday we're expecting 23C, thunderstorms and 10-20mm of rain before we get a taste of winter again.

No rain up here in the Whitsundays, things are really starting to dry off and my bore is getting a bit of a workout.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

It got to 32.8C at my place today. What a taste of summer that was.

We've been getting up to 39.5 but generally 37+ lately. Average maximum for September is 36.9 so far. Rain would be nice.

We've been getting up to 39.5 but generally 37+ lately. Average maximum for September is 36.9 so far. Rain would be nice.

That's very warm ! If that's your sept. average what's your December / January average??

I think we are all wanting rain, it's starting to get a bit desperate.... Again

Perth had 36mm of rain overnight after a 34C max on Saturday. Down here we've had about 15mm but the cold weather is back again.

We went from record heat on Saturday to cold cold winds and rain today. Here it got to 18C, but the wood fire is lit tonight. My little Alexanders seemed to respond well to the heat on Saturday. My D baronii seeds are popping like mad with some forming the beginnings of green spears. Not bad for an unheated shed germination area.

Sounds like spring is on holiday in Australia, and is missing NZ totally this year. Yesterday morning there was snow on the hills south of here down to about 600m. The car thermo was telling me it was 6C at 11.00am in town yesterday (that's colder than even an unusually cold mid-July day)! It did warm up over the day, but we're still sitting on an unusually cold winter. Predicted 23C tomorrow, which will be nice. Zigs 39C would be shock about now after all this cold.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Spring was definitely here a week or so ago but it seems to have retreated recently. It's been cool, windy and threatening rain for the last week but the rain never actually eventuates?? Pretty ordinary currently but I'm sure that will change very soon.... My bet is that the lack of rain will still be a factor but the warmth will return very soon?

Yeah, today was rubbish. Another 18.1C day with drizzle and winds and cloud. It's equally the coldest day so far for Sep as yesterday. At least there are clouds tonight but I think they're set to leave around midnight allowing a cold night. Yuck.

Well our first storm for Spring has come and gone, had the radio on while the storms pasted, we had major roads flooding, man hole covers washing up on roads and hail, not to mention blackouts, apart from that, man was it good to get some rain, just checked the guage we got 27ml over here

Doesnt look like the heavy falls were all that widespread in Brissy though - the airport only got 6.6mm. Hope you guys get some more rain soon.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

I had 15mm... I had hoped for more but I'll take it!

These arvo storms are a quintessential part of brisbanes spring and summer lifestyle, hopefully you get to experience one while you up here Roger! I would expect quite a few more over the next 4 months but it's certainly not a daily spectacle. Maybe 3 a fortnight if we are lucky?

Looks like we've got some more decent rain on the way down here. The grass is growing at a million miles an hr.

Thunderstorms and heavy showers here since midday...a little hail as well, but nothing too bad....more storms rumbling in now...woohoo!

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IQUEENSL519

I had 15mm... I had hoped for more but I'll take it!

These arvo storms are a quintessential part of brisbanes spring and summer lifestyle, hopefully you get to experience one while you up here Roger! I would expect quite a few more over the next 4 months but it's certainly not a daily spectacle. Maybe 3 a fortnight if we are lucky?

looking forward to it Ben! I particularly love a good thunderstorm.

I've been watching it daryl. We just had our first light shower. Everything should be greening up down your way after the last few days

Yeah, September has been cooler than normal here too, but at least we are getting some rain...usually I spend most of my time watering in September!

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IQUEENSL519#history

Daryl

Talk about conflicted - it is 25 degrees in Melbourne, the palms are basking in the sun, and starting to grow again.

And the wind is howling at 90 km/hr from the north.....