IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

the Quote thread..............

trioderob

Never confuse movement with action.

Ernest Hemingway

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

"Lose track of your physical fitness, a physician will soon bare witness" "No amount of wealth, can buy you good health" from "Aphorisims and Observations" by Ed Vaile

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I ain't got no game, just some bitches understand my story.

-Nas

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I ain't got no game, just some bitches understand my story.

-Nas

You know who Nas is? He's my homeboy

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Dude, '90s beat boy right here. It was written was one of the best rap albums ever.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me

than have a frontal lobotomy

Who? Dunno . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Who? Dunno . . .

I'd rather have a bottle palm in front of me

than have a frontal lobotomy . . .

David Bleistein, 2014

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, just curious, are you still working at the office full time? :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dave, just curious, are you still working at the office full time? :)

Yes, I dwell a lot in the dark tower.

All my favorite quotes come from that Anon guy. He really was a prolific guy.

Here is one:

"Too soon old and too late smart" or, for those who speak with an accent, "Too soon oldt, undt too late schmart."

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I often quote my hourly wage

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Who? Dunno . . .

That was from my favorite, Anon too!

I always thought the quote was:

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

"the plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room"

-pete mitchell"

Grant
Long Beach, CA

I had a science teacher in junior high who had a daily quote on the blackboard.It is amazing that I still remember a few. This is my favorite.

"Plow deep while sluggard sleeps and you will have plenty of corn to keep."

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

"the plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room"

-pete mitchell"

Wonder what his wife said.

If he had one . . .

English political philosopher Thomas Hobbes (1588 – 1679) is the father of political science. Hobbes commented on the nature of mankind.

569px-Thomas_Hobbes_portrait.jpg

"Let us return again to the state of nature, and consider men as if but even now sprung out of the earth, and suddenly, like mushrooms, come to full maturity without all kind of engagement to each other . . . Whatsoever therefore is consequent to a time of Warre, where every man is Enemy to every man; the same is consequent to the time, wherein men live without other security, than what their own strength, and their own invention shall furnish them withall. In such condition, there is no place for Industry; because the fruit thereof is uncertain; and consequently no Culture of the Earth; no Navigation, nor use of the commodities that may be imported by Sea; no commodious Building; no Instruments of moving, and removing such things as require much force; no Knowledge of the face of the Earth; no account of Time; no Arts; no Letters; no Society; and which is worst of all, continuall feare, and danger of violent death; And the life of man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short".

So now that humans have had a few hundred years to reflect upon the wisdom of Hobbes, what has mankind learned?

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning".

Ed in Houston

Yesterday is History, tomorrow is a Mystery, today is a Gift.

Alice Morse Earle 1902

"You're so wise, your like a miniature Buddaha covered in hair".

"You pooped in the refrigerator...and ate a whole wheel of cheese? I'm not even mad, that's amazing"

-Will Ferrell

Matt-You got that right, I was jammin to that back in the dizz-aye

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

"better to burn out than it is to rust"..

Neil Young.

"where were you going when I saw you coming back"

Bill Lunney.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

-John Lennon

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

"better to burn out than it is to rust"..

Neil Young.

"where were you going when I saw you coming back"

Bill Lunney.

Better to burn out than fade away - Def Leopard.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Old soldiers don't die.

The young ones do.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not after you.

-Catch 22

--Avett Bros

Bennet Brauer:

"That's right, Bennet Brauer here with another commentary. Didn't think the suits would have me back perhaps. Thought they'd have my dairy-air replaced by one of tem store mannequin well maybe I'm not "the norm".

I'm not "camera friendly", I don't "wear clothes that fit me", I'm not a "heartbreaker", I haven't had "sex with a woman", I don't know "how that works", I don't "fall in line", I'm not "hygienic", I don't "wipe properly", I lack "style", I don't have "self-esteem", I have no "charisma", I don't "own a toothbrush", I don't "let my scabs heal", I can't "reach all the parts of my body", when I sleep I sweat profusely.

But I guess the powers that be will keep signing my pay check until Jack and Jane K. Viewer start to go for the remote so they can get back to commentators who don't "frighten children", who don't "eat their own dandruff", who don't "pop their whiteheads with a compass they used in high school"

Edited by trioderob

"Man is not free unless government is limited"

A Ronald Reagan quote, probably stemming from this Thomas Jefferson quote.

"The greatest [calamity] which could befall [us would be] submission to a government of unlimited powers."
-- Thomas Jefferson, Declaration and Protest of Virginia, 1825. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors, ME 17:445
Speech writers always have a source. Original thought, intentional or unintentional is truly rare.

"Man is not free unless government is limited"

A Ronald Reagan quote, probably stemming from this Thomas Jefferson quote.

"The greatest [calamity] which could befall [us would be] submission to a government of unlimited powers."
-- Thomas Jefferson, Declaration and Protest of Virginia, 1825. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors, ME 17:445
Speech writers always have a source. Original thought, intentional or unintentional is truly rare.

Here's another quote - "Great minds think alike".

I get so worked up when I see how these shlebs in Washington act these days.

"Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

-- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

"Contrary to what people may say, there's no upper limit on stupidity."

Steven Colbert

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Calvin Coolidge

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

"You lose."

Calvin Coolidge, when told by someone they had a bet they could make him say three words.

"Before you consider one an enemy, first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, if he IS an enemy, you're a mile ahead, and you have his shoes." :)

Unknown

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Great quote from a program I just watched on PBS Nature series.
"Don't look up to me, look with me" -Ray Turner