IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Does anyone know how to keep raccoons away!!!!

Stevetoad

I've been at war with raccoons. They get into my little pond eat the fish and destroy all the plants in there. As of this week they discovered a taste for bromeliads and went ahead and destroyed a good chunk of mine. I've been live trapping them for over a year and they just keep coming. I've caught about 25 or more. I've been releasing them about 3 miles away and am thinking they are coming back. So now I'm going to take me with me to work and let them go 33 miles away. I DO NOT want to kill them. I just want them out of my yard.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I don't know the efficacy of it but I heard lime repels raccoons. It won't hurt to try.

A big dog would probably do it too.

I think that relocating them 3 miles away they are probably coming back. Relocating them 33 miles would probably work but you are not doing them any favors and it is probably illegal. Relocating just puts them in another raccoon's territory and they will fight for food and survival. They will most likely be killed by other raccoons or starve to death.

I would suggest rethinking your no-kill rule for nuisance wildlife.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

:bemused:

post-126-0-53849400-1404189796_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I tried that stupid motion sensor thing, it doesn't repel anything.

I had trouble with racoons for years. Then I got a German shepherd dog, and after a few chases into the trees and fights with the dog, the racoons stopped coming.

Beware, racoons can and will kill smaller dogs.

If you trap and release, 30 miles should be fine. If Phil at Jungle Music starts to complain about racoons, we'll know who to blame. :)

Urinate On Everything! :floor2:

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Urinate On Everything! :floor2:

It works on my Armadillo issues!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I was having problems with skunks and raccoons, and after trapping and releasing them a few times and talking with animal control, they told me to try filling a few pie tins full of ammonia and placing them around the yard or on top of your fence. I did and never saw any more wildlife in my yard. I have a dog now so no longer have problems, but if you can keep your animals or kids away from the ammonia, give it a try and hopefully it works for you too.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Congrats... you found the reason why I stopped working on my front yard a couple years back... I found when covered with weeds, they leave it alone... Then I found the Voles come in.

I DO know its something on the order of 8 miles for them to not return..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Urban raccoons kept getting into my pond and beds and I tried everything. Nothing really worked until I got a low-voltage electrical system meant to keep pets out of garden beds. I keep it on a timer, so it is only live from Midnight to 4 a.m. and it works like a dream. I have it around the perimeter of the pond, it is single wire on plastic posts, and it is barely noticeable. Also, I mounted a wire along the fence rails where the raccoons, skunks and possums were entering the yard. The whole system came as a kit and is really easy to install. I think it is made by Havahart or something along those lines.

Thom -- San Francisco, CA -- Eastern Slope of Twin Peaks

I was having problems with skunks and raccoons, and after trapping and releasing them a few times and talking with animal control, they told me to try filling a few pie tins full of ammonia and placing them around the yard or on top of your fence. I did and never saw any more wildlife in my yard. I have a dog now so no longer have problems, but if you can keep your animals or kids away from the ammonia, give it a try and hopefully it works for you too.

I forgot about this! My grandpa taught me this. Critters, do not like Ammonia and will not come near it. It's cheap too. The pie tin is the most effective because of the large surface area; you get a better smell that way.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I forgot about this! My grandpa taught me this. Critters, do not like Ammonia and will not come near it. It's cheap too. The pie tin is the most effective because of the large surface area; you get a better smell that way.

Yeah, but now my yard smells of ammonia...

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I'll give the ammonia a try. They stole my bowl I had the bait in from the trap last night. It's no where to be found. Thanks guys.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Relocating won't always work, either.

I had an old (elderly) friend in Ohio back in ancient times who had a great garden (lilies, not palms) and he trapped raccoons. And trapped them. And trapped them. And trapped them. And trapped them. And trapped them. And trapped them. And trapped them.And trapped them. Repeat repeat repeat, etc. ETC. :bemused::rant:

He lost count at over 100 and still they kept coming. He gave them to a guy who "took them to southern Ohio someplace." We were in northern Ohio, a distance of about 100 miles.

I had some expletive raccoons who uprooted some prized tri-bears looking for non-existent grubs and worms, and I was ready to pick up my sword . . . . :badday:

So, I used mothballs. Worked great, moths weren't thrilled.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And, raccoons love to go out and get rabies, and give it others.

Be careful, I've seen the very very unpleasant end results. :crying:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

For a variety of reasons, in California it is illegal to trap and relocate wildlife. Have attached some info on raccoons from the integrated pest management folks of the University of California. Electrical fencing section may be of interest.

The water feature in your yard is the major attractant - its just calling them to come visit and will continue to do so as long as it is there - probably a stronger attractant than the various chemical agents suggested will be in dissuading them.

On east coast, raccoons are one of the primary reservoirs of rabies; in California its bats and skunks.

Hope something here is helpful - gmp

pnraccoons.pdf

All good ideas and I hope one will work! I did have a later confirmed rabid raccoon in my backyard so I'm not fond of them nearby, but otherwise my dogs keep the non rabid ones to a minimum. A local senior wildlife rehabber swears by loud rock music but I'm guessing that's not practical for most of us....

Of course moving to PR where they aren't is another impractical suggestion.

Cindy Adair

Hmm.

Raccoon curry, anyone?

With CalRose rice?

The ammonia trick could work in a small pond...curious if floating said pie tin might be good

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Go buy a plastic bag of cayenne pepper from a bodega (big bag) and sprinkle it around. Racoons, cats and skunks will pick it up on their furry little paws and somewhere down the line will lick those same paws. It's all I ever used and I have had no problems with the above mentioned for years.

My mother has a rhodesian ridgeback and nary a raccoon, oppossum or squirrel ever enters her yard at the risk of becoming a short term playmate.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

The ammonia trick could work in a small pond...curious if floating said pie tin might be good

What about the fish?

Jeff Searle has problems with raccoons dining on his mangos at the house. At the nursery, they get into the seed house, eat expensive rare seeds - along with making a huge mess. This makes Mr. Searle very angry. :rant:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Jeff Searle has problems with raccoons dining on his mangos at the house. At the nursery, they get into the seed house, eat expensive rare seeds - along with making a huge mess. This makes Mr. Searle very angry. :rant:

I know the tenant in the first post was no kill, but this is why GOD invented the .22 caliber short and CB cap. After that, good fertilizer, they only return as palm fronds.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What about the fish?

Fish pee is ammonia. Let it build up too high and dead fish. Floating tin in pond not a good idea.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

you have their favorite food in the whole world sitting in a small basin just begging them to attract it.

best bet is to get a very small pitbull - maybe 25 lb - and let it live in the backyard.

Edited by trioderob

why not just use the glock that you claim you almost shot me with when i walked by your house a few weeks ago?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Dude-

Dont be a wacko.

it was all 'tounge in cheek "

you represented yourself as a "stalker" walking toward my house - your words not mine !

i was just playing along

anyone reading this would never guess we have met in person and have known where each other lives for years.

I would never shoot anyone unless my life or my loved ones were in imminent danger of great bodily harm in accordance with the laws of the state of California.

(let it go and I will invite you over for a beer.)

Edited by trioderob

admiral-ackbar.jpg

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

its not a trap

I have met Paul and would never shoot him.

just the opposite - if I saw he was in danger - and i could do it- I would try to protect him

Edited by trioderob

thanks rob, that last comment brought a little tear to my eye. :wub2:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Triode shot Paul tonight. He's dead.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

should we look for something in the "memorials" section?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Triode shot Paul tonight. He's dead.

Paul the Raccoon I hope ... :bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Matt, matt, matt......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

Curious if anyone else had success with the ammonia trick. 

Are you having some raccoon issues?

14 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Are you having some raccoon issues?

Yup. Haven't wreaked too much havoc on the garden yet, but they enjoy prowling around. I was hanging out on the patio last night and enjoyed watching a pair wander around looking for trouble...

Is this the first time?

Just wondering if the heat we have had lately might be driving them.

9 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Yup. Haven't wreaked too much havoc on the garden yet, but they enjoy prowling around. I was hanging out on the patio last night and enjoyed watching a pair wander around looking for trouble...

Don't recall if you have any, but watch out.  They have been known to kill dogs.