IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Stay out of the sun, son (and daughter) sunscreen and melanoma

DoomsDave

As you likely know, melanoma, a nasty form of cancer, is related to too much sun.

And, we, as palmy folk live in places where that's a problem. And, having dark skin does not necessarily save you. Bob Marley, the seminal reggae musician, died young from it.

What does help, according to this study is using suncreen on babies and small kids (or keeping them in the shade).

Hope you find this useful.

http://bionews-tx.com/news/2014/06/20/sunscreen-use-in-childhood-prevents-development-of-malignant-melanoma-in-adults-texas-biomed-study-concludes/?utm_source=BioNews+TX+Newsletter&utm_campaign=7934318746-MailChimp&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_180cbeb780-7934318746-69804633

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Being toe headed and lived near the beach in Cali and Hawaii most of my life.

I'm exceptionally suseptable.

I get about 20 skin tags and a mole removed every year.

No cancer yet, just wished they had sunscreen when I was a kid.

Crazy to think I spent several hours a day on the beach without protection....

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Being toe headed and lived near the beach in Cali and Hawaii most of my life.

I'm exceptionally suseptable.

I get about 20 skin tags and a mole removed every year.

No cancer yet, just wished they had sunscreen when I was a kid.

Crazy to think I spent several hours a day on the beach without protection....

I think you mean tow-headed . . . (Sorry. Hate to see the buzzards dive . . )

But, yeah, with green eyes, I'd have the problem too. I didn't live near the beach in a warm spot.

What are "skin tags"? 20 a year!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I grew up in a beach town in Florida, and developed a melanoma by the time I was 11. Being very fair-skinned probably didn't help. Lucky for me it was easily caught and treated. Later in life, working on outdoor stadium concerts, I was the guy who always remembered to bring sunscreen and offered it to everyone, even though most people just want to get tan and turn it down. Not wanting another melanoma, I now use sunscreen daily (just on my face, hands, and back of my neck). I think it's kept me looking young, too. I also preach about it to others. Hopefully not in an annoying way, just presenting the win-win of not getting cancer and looking better. Interesting research, but it was on possums, not people. You should still use sunscreen on your kids, of course (I obviously do).

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

okay

hit a nerve

The topic of skin tags should be added to the list of banned palmtalk topics.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hi guys, I've never used sunscreen and still don't, I've got blonde hair, bright blue eyes and very fair skin (even though I'm often not so fair), but last year I hung a couple of new doors on my buddy's barn, in July here in New Smyrna Bch., and it was all in direct sun, it took a bit longer than I had predicted, and I didn't even wear a hat, well, I wound up with two kind of skin cancer and one of them was a huge ugly growth on where your sideburns would be, and had to have both surgically removed, 60 years old now, so I never spend more than a few minutes in the sun without at least one of the various members of my pith helmet collection on, and if it's going to be for any length of time, a long sleeve nylon dress shirt from the 1970's (finally making good use of those) I don't have to worry about my legs here in Mosquito Lagoon, for obvious reasons one must either use Off or wear long pants, a couple years ago I quit using repellent, so long pants it is, but I wonder how individuals that are overweight and out of shape get by in this horrible heat pushing a shovel, I guess they don't, yesterday I planted tree no. 11, this one at my Mom's house for her b-day, and I thought I was going to have a heart-attack, not knowing that there were giant roots in the way, and all I was armed with was a steel handled shovel, I soon was wearing next to nothing, but got the job done, it's a beautiful 15 gallon Spindle palm I grew from seed , photos coming today (yes I know I extrapolate), Ed

• Upvote 1

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Per my Dermatologist I got 3 of these last year, so no more ball caps for me. These are actually a lot more comfortable than caps. Not the cheapest, but worth the investment.

-Randy

post-1035-0-59153000-1403785030_thumb.jp

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Skin tags are those little lumpy things that pop up here and there, especially under the armpit, in the groin, and other areas that get rubbed a lot. They can also pop up all over the place.

Toe-tow? I blame all spelling errors on my iPhone.

Skin tags are those white flaky precancerous bumps that you can scratch off and they come back.

The dermatologist sprays freon or some other subzero gas that freeze them off.

Never used sunblock as a kid.... Don't think it was available in the '70's.

Sure do now...

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

post-97-0-32648700-1403926729_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...

Ran across this today. No advocacy here and didn't fact check it. Just passing along another view..

http://www.realfarmacy.com/scientists-blow-the-lid-on-cancer-sunscreen-myth/

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My girlfriend lost her husband to melanoma. He grew up on the beaches and played soccer in Sydney. Never used suncreen and to make matters worse also smoked. They met in Sydney while she was on vacation, got married, moved to Dallas, tried to have kids, adopted two young brothers and tried to have a kid of their own. While going through testing discovered his melanoma. Despite treatment it spread into his lungs and brain. It was really horrible what he had to go through. I spoke to him one last time before he went into hospice and passed away. Hardest conversation I've had with anyone. Graham was one of those guys you just couldn't help but like. Very personable.

I also lost a co-worker in her 40s back in the 80s to melanoma too. She was light haired and smoked. I'll never forget her last day at work when she said goodbye to everyone.

When we moved to the area ten years ago, our house lot had no real shade, so creating a dining pergola that provided shade was really important to us. That and adding wide canopy mules for additional shade became our priority. Spent a lot of time designing the yard I wanted and was excited when I found a website with diagrams to create a wooden pergola top with a stepped rafter and fixed louvers that really helped cut the sun exposure. An Australian government website was helpful too. The design factored in sun positioning in the sky during the peak hours during the summer. Building it was no easy task because no one had seen it here before. We went so far as to construct a foamboard model for our landscape contractor to follow. Another contractor later, this one built houses, got the top completed quickly. To this day I just don't understand why the vast majority of pergolas built here, especially in very hot, sunny areas, are so open to the sun. Seems short sighted given the cancer risk and the fact that shade can lower the temps by a significant amount. IMO Australians have definitely been in the forefront on sun protection and solar efficency in design. I even have one of those Australian sun hats with solar protection built in. I do have to say that there are more options today for pergola tops like motorized, slanted covers and fabric panels which is great. I loved the look of Sails in The Desert resort but our HOA would have never gone for a CoolaRoo-type covering. I still prefer our stained wood pergola design over those as it's a pretty permanent structure and the maintenance is low. While most people opt for white pergolas, we went with a dark brown to absorb more of the reflected light and be easier on the eyes while under it. If you like to dine and hang outside during the summer give some thought to how you dining out in the open during the day.

If anyone is interested in this type of pergola designed roof, here are the two sites mentioned above:

http://www.hometips.com/diy-how-to/+patio-roofs-lath-batten-board.html and http://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/shading

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

The states with the highest rates of melanoma

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the highest rates of melanoma are in some of the cloudiest states, like Washington, Oregon, and Vermont.

I know two friends that had it in the pass few years. Both recover fully after surgery.

Melanoma is so nasty because by the time symptoms present, as doctors say, it's often metastisized. Amputating affected limbs for example (as Bob Marley was asked but refused to do) often does no good because of that.

Darker complexion provides protection, but not full protection. You can be black as coal and still get it.

I suspect that people in places like WA and VT and elsewhere up north think they won't get it because it's not hot up there. But you can get it from too much sun in exposed parts of you, which are exposed even when it's cold. Wonder how many Inuit get it?

Cloudy is no protection, since UV penetrates the clouds, which is what supposedly aids melanoma.

If you catch it soon enough, it can be treated. Hoping to do a public service for all of the Palm Talkers of all hues.

I was going to post pictures, but read this article instead. Avoid tanning beds . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanoma

Ran across this today. No advocacy here and didn't fact check it. Just passing along another view..

http://www.realfarmacy.com/scientists-blow-the-lid-on-cancer-sunscreen-myth/

I don't have the expertise to fact-check specific assertions they are making, but I can point out a few things.

The epidemiological study followed 30,000 women for over 20 years and “showed that mortality was about double in women who avoided sun exposure compared to the highest exposure group. Researchers concluded that the conventional dogma, which advises avoiding the sun at all costs and slathering on sunscreen to minimize sun exposure, is doing more harm than actual good. That’s because overall sun avoidance combined with wearing sunscreen effectively blocks the body’s ability to produce vitamin D3 from the sun’s UVB rays, which is by far the best form of vitamin D.

It's important to read science journalism carefully. First, there is a fallacy of confusing correlation with causation. Let's say that Swedish women who avoid the sun are more likely to die of skin cancer (although in the article, it's not entirely clear what they're dying of). That does not come close to proving that sun exposure reduces the risk of skin cancer. It's much more likely that women who are more sensitive to the sun tend to avoid sun exposure, but their sensitivity is linked to a higher risk of skin cancer.

Moreover, my understanding is that it takes very little sun exposure to produce sufficient vitamin D. You would get enough walking from your house to your car each day, and most people don't wear sunscreen for short errands. Further, I'm skeptical that sunscreen blocks the body's ability to produce vitamin D. Even if it does, sunscreen wears off and doesn't cover every bit of skin in the first place (you don't put sunscreen on your scalp, around your eyes, on the backs of your fingers, plus anywhere that you fail to apply accidentally). And they conflate those who "avoid" sun exposure and those who "minimize" it. Women who avoid sun exposure are not at the beach wearing sunscreen, they are inside.

Nor does the death rate from skin cancer tell much of anything useful, because that depends primarily on whether a doctor notices it early enough. Total incidence of skin cancer, as in the study quoted below, both fatal and survivable, comparing groups who use sunscreen and those who don't would be slightly more useful, but still wouldn't control for the possibility that those who are genetically prone to developing skin cancer choose to wear more sunscreen than those who aren't.

A 2000 Swedish study concluded that higher rates of melanoma occurred in those who used sunscreen versus those who did not.

Again, correlation does not equal causation. People who are more likely to develop melanomas might just be more likely to get sunburns and find sunscreen more useful than others. That doesn't mean that the sunscreen didn't lower those individuals' risk from "very high" to "still sort of high".

There’s no proof that increased exposure to the sun increases the risk of melanoma.

I'll let the American Cancer Society have the last word (but again, be careful of the weasel-worded "linked to" in the last sentence).

Does UV radiation cause cancer?

Yes. In fact, most skin cancers are a direct result of exposure to the UV rays in sunlight. Both basal cell and squamous cell cancers (the most common types of skin cancer) tend to be found on sun-exposed parts of the body, and their occurrence is related to lifetime sun exposure. The risk of melanoma, a more serious but less common type of skin cancer, is also related to sun exposure, although perhaps not as strongly. Skin cancer has also been linked to exposure to some artificial sources of UV.

[source: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/radiationexposureandcancer/uvradiation/uv-radiation-does-uv-cause-cancer]

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

To me, it just comes down to common sense. Too much of a lot of good things will kill you. Quite a few bad things in small amounts are used for medicine. I am fair skinned, but love a little sun, and I don't feel the need to put on sun screen every time I spend a little time outdoors. I definitely feel the physical effects of not producing enough Vitamin D in the winter. Now, in the summer, and if I am gonna be out a while, I do lather up.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well, sun can be deadly.

Be careful. Hard to know how much is too much.

I've been wearing tech-cloth/SPF t-shirts after reading that regular cotton t-shirts only have a 4-12 SPF rating for a white t & a little more for dyed cotton.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Skin cancer is pretty bad in this part of the world. Some of the local regions have melanoma rates of over 100 new detections per 100000 population per year. NZ is pretty bad as well. Weird considering that one is a sunny climate and one is a cloudy climate.

We have skin cancer clinics all over the place for early detection, and awareness of skin cancer is very high here.

I have had at least 10 BCCs removed in recent years and most of my friends and acquaintances have had cancers removed as well.

I think the UV levels are higher in the southern hemisphere so maybe that has something to do with it?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 2 weeks later...

W e have much yet to learn about this complicated issue of how much sun our skin types can handle safely and how much we need to supply our need for Vitamin D3. Daily more research is telling us the super importance of getting enough D3 as it is necessary for so many of our body organs to function properly, including even the heart. Many "scientific" studies are being done by many different groups, universities, etc. Always question who is funding these studies, directly or indirectly and you might be very surprised if you are even able to get an honest reply.

As Dave says, the sun can be deadly but so can many other things we do in excess. Also the sun is very beneficial and even necessary for our health. Each person needs to discern how much he can handle. I've read that skin cancer is very rare among African tribal people who are basically without much clothes and in the intense sun most of the time. Does that mean the more pigmentation we have the more protected we are from getting skin cancer?

The more I hear about the negative use of using sun screen, what chemicals they contain and maybe even being a possible cause of skin cancer, scares me. Coconut or olive oil would probably be a best choice to use.

Just saying there is much to learn about this topic and trying to get honest unbiased information can be very difficult.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

W e have much yet to learn about this complicated issue of how much sun our skin types can handle safely and how much we need to supply our need for Vitamin D3. Daily more research is telling us the super importance of getting enough D3 as it is necessary for so many of our body organs to function properly, including even the heart. Many "scientific" studies are being done by many different groups, universities, etc. Always question who is funding these studies, directly or indirectly and you might be very surprised if you are even able to get an honest reply.

As Dave says, the sun can be deadly but so can many other things we do in excess. Also the sun is very beneficial and even necessary for our health. Each person needs to discern how much he can handle. I've read that skin cancer is very rare among African tribal people who are basically without much clothes and in the intense sun most of the time. Does that mean the more pigmentation we have the more protected we are from getting skin cancer?

The more I hear about the negative use of using sun screen, what chemicals they contain and maybe even being a possible cause of skin cancer, scares me. Coconut or olive oil would probably be a best choice to use.

Just saying there is much to learn about this topic and trying to get honest unbiased information can be very difficult.

Thank you. I thought I was all alone not being on sold on the Sunscreen side of the fence. For me, the jury is still out. I go for moderation until we know more.