IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Replacing Big Queen with Small Mule

Alicehunter2000

Rough day today, but finally eliminated the eyesore that used to be a beautiful queen. I tried to cut it down into smaller sections but the electric chainsaw was not up to the challenge. Had to do it the old fashioned way using hand tools and ancient Egyptian secrets.post-97-0-26149600-1403482884_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-42279700-1403482932_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-07853500-1403482999_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-45292000-1403483055_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-69070700-1403483103_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Her highness was replaced by one of Eric's Mules. Welcome to your new home Muley.post-97-0-47251000-1403483356_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-97651600-1403483408_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nearby the T. princeps, R. multifida (needs fert), and ponytail that barely survived the Polar Vortex looked over their new neighbor with suspicion.post-97-0-80675500-1403483876_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-16288800-1403483932_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-28103500-1403483982_thumb.jpg

Awesome, I am a Mule man for sure.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hey don't feel like the lone ranger. I see alot of dead ones around PC beach and SGI and folks are still ordering them. At least you went with something that will survive.

We need to get more of the hardier queen varieties from southern Brazil and Uruguay, it gets COLD there in habitat and the queens do fine, whereas I've seen the typical box store batches get fried in the mid-twenties here in FL

• 5 months later...

post-97-0-99905100-1418133733_thumb.jpg

6 month growth on Eric's mule has been impressive.

• Upvote 1

attachicon.gif20141209_080123.jpg

6 month growth on Eric's mule has been impressive.

Wow, that is super impressive growth. Share your secrets.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That is very impressive growth. It should keep accelerating. I would never expend the energy to dig out a Queen Stump. It would take me way too long with my rocky soil.

post-1729-0-64381100-1418138843_thumb.jp

I cut the stump flush to the ground. As it rots, I keep throwing mulch over it until an easy dig hole remains for a future palm.

post-1729-0-20575200-1418138904_thumb.jp

Queen stump chunks, sliced and diced with a reciprocating saw

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Looking very happy David and off to a good start.

Are you at all concerned given the canopy spread of mules that the fronds will probably be hitting your house walls and roof during windy weather and storms down there? Or are they more protected from the wind by the house? If I recall, the front of your house faces the Gulf but I'm clueless as to the general direction of your winds down there. I know when you planted the queens back there it wasn't a concern because the queens already had a lot of trunk on them and the canopy was above roof level.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Thanks all....Keith no secret.....just mixed some palm mix soil from box store with the beach sand....tried to get it mixed up down to the mulch layer down below.....about 2ft. down.

WCG your right it is somewhat close but I put it on a sharp angle out (curve) and it is blocked by the house from the predominant winds. Hope it grows away from the house lol.....everything in this tiny yard is packed together....its either going to look really cool in 10 years or ridiculous. ..lol

It's going to be interesting to see how it grows. If you're lucky it will be more strictor. Nice color on it and it sure looks healthy.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

happy growing David :greenthumb: Your hybrid is going to me a monster. I just love the way those mules look :drool:

Didn't Morrissey have a song about the "queen is dead" ...lol

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic growth! Mules are nice palms!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 10 months later...

Hey David, how about an updated photo of the Muley for growth comparison from your earlier posts.

Queen palms are much like a boat. Your two favorite days are the day you plant and the day they get removed.

It is still growing fast.....8 ft oa?

2015-11-17 08.36.16.jpg

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

This is completely not fair.

I know Mules are ridiculous in this regard, but I have palms that are 4 or 5 years old that are less than 3 feet tall...

Also, WOW!  :D

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Looks good! I've got a small mule that I planted this spring. So far it's been slow but with how fast yours has grown I bet it'll pick up speed soon. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

11 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

2015-11-17 08.36.16.jpg

Dat ting be cranking Mon! :o

good bye queen, hello Mr. Mule. I think this is a better choice than any queen by far :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

2 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

good bye queen, hello Mr. Mule. I think this is a better choice than any queen by far :greenthumb:

:greenthumb:   Did the same thing last year, but on a smaller scale.

2 minutes ago, _Keith said:

:greenthumb:   Did the same thing last year, but on a smaller scale.

I just saw you 10,000 post. great looking muledom:drool:

Sunset zone 24

Wow, congrats for that stunning palm. I'm willing to getting a mule but it's difficult to find them in Europe.

08053.gif

Mules definitely are superior to both Butia and Syagrus IMO. They have great cold hardiness taking prolonged freezing /wet conditions. They grow fast. Look great. Nematode resistant. Dont require alot of fertilizer to look green and healthy. They get the best attributes of both parents. We are lucky to have hybrids readily available. It is simply the best all around  pinnate palm for 9a / 8b .....a great foundation palm.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Mules definitely are superior to both Butia and Syagrus IMO. They have great cold hardiness taking prolonged freezing /wet conditions. They grow fast. Look great. Nematode resistant. Dont require alot of fertilizer to look green and healthy. They get the best attributes of both parents. We are lucky to have hybrids readily available. It is simply the best all around  pinnate palm for 9a / 8b .....a great foundation palm.

I NEED to get my hands on one. Our area is desperate for some more palm alternatives. There is a small nursery up here in Niceville that was selling some good sized mules last summer. That was the first time I've seen them sold in this area. Can't remember the figures, but they seemed a little pricey.

Edited by Opal92

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎02‎:‎19‎, Zeeth said:

Looks good! I've got a small mule that I planted this spring. So far it's been slow but with how fast yours has grown I bet it'll pick up speed soon. 

Keith, Next time you are up this way stop by. I have a larger mule looking for a home.

David

Oh yeah.

Little mule today, big mule tomorrow HUGE MULE the day after.

Queen trunks are supposed to be the best thing for making a boat dock out of. NOTHING eats them, for decades, as you no doubt well understand. I'm about to annihilate one in my yard, not looking forward to it.

Scott!

One of the mules I got from you is about 20 feet tall, and 18" (0.5 M) across the base; just barely trunking. My 300 pound gorilla. I got it from you, 7 years ago?

Keith!

Hurry on down to Scott's place and get that big mule before one of Scott's Alligators of Doom eats it . . . . :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, Opal92 said:

I NEED to get my hands on one. Our area is desperate for some more palm alternatives. There is a small nursery up here in Niceville that was selling some good sized mules last summer. That was the first time I've seen them sold in this area. Can't remember the figures, but they seemed a little pricey.

Some Palmtalkers have them for sale; if money's an issue, get babies, and they'll grow. Very fast! I got one by mail in a one-gallon pot that I stuck in the ground. It wants me to marry it now. . . . . :rolleyes:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

43 minutes ago, Tampa Scott said:

Keith, Next time you are up this way stop by. I have a larger mule looking for a home.

Will do! Did you ever get a chance to root some of the Hawaiian variety of the Kiwi croton? 

Keith 

1 hour ago, Tampa Scott said:

Keith, The  Hawaiian Kiwi Ti is rooted for you.

whoops, i meant Ti, dunno why i said croton!

Keith 

19 hours ago, Zeeth said:

whoops, i meant Ti, dunno why i said croton!

Keith - if your in the Miami area anytime in the next month, I can throw a mess of crotons in your back seat if your interested. The are all from air layers. :D

2 hours ago, Moose said:

Keith - if your in the Miami area anytime in the next month, I can throw a mess of crotons in your back seat if your interested. The are all from air layers. :D

Thanks for the offer, Moose! I was thinking about trying to make a trip sometime during the Christmas break, so I'll let you know. 

Keith