IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The season we all hate in the southern hemisphere 2014

Tyrone

I don't know what it takes to get a decent dumping of rain here. Perth got a big hit and it even went all the way out to the wheat belt and Esperance. The huge cut off low gave the west coast a thrashing and we got a measly......2mm. The low is nearly over the top of us and it's dead still.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow! It's raining again! 2nd time in a week!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wow! It's raining again! 2nd time in a week!

and "lots" of rain forecast over the next 7 days, time to start handing out the Nutricote Total+te :)

WA hogging unseasonable warmth

Brett Dutschke, Thursday August 21, 2014 - 13:47 EST

Much of Western Australia's west has already been experiencing unseasonable warm weather this month, now other parts of the state are about to sample it.

The Gascoyne, Central West and Central Wheat Belt having been running two-to-five degrees warmer than a typical August with help from a near-record warm week ending last weekend. Early last week, temperatures rose to the low-to-mid thirties, more than 10 degrees warmer than the August average in some places.

October-like weather is about to redevelop over the region and also spread further south and east, mainly affecting the Goldfields.

A week ago Mullewa had its warmest August week on record, averaging a maximum of 28.1 degrees, eight degrees above average. The Central West town is about to experience a weak averaging 27 degrees, which would take the running monthly average to about 26 degrees, three degrees warmer than the previous warmest August, in 2012.

In the Goldfields the coming week will bring a run of days six-to-eight degrees warmer the long-term August average. For much of the region it is looking like the warmest August week in seven-or-eight years. Kalgoorlie should average a maximum of 27 degrees, seven above average and its warmest August week in seven years.

Weak fronts have been drawing air from the unseasonably warm Indian Ocean before bringing only weak cooler changes. The cooler changes have been so weak that the air has been allowed to warm up more than what is typical for this time of year. One weak front will cross the west and south of the state during today and tomorrow and another front this weekend is likely to slip well south, bringing warmth not seen since April.

From Sunday to Tuesday the Central Wheat Belt, Goldfields and Southern Coastal, including Merredin, Kalgoorlie and Salmon Gums should reach the mid-to-high twenties, and Meekatharra and Leinster the low thirties.

For other Australian states, only pockets of South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and New South Wales are likely to see their warmest August days in two-to-five years due to a high pressure system being in close proximity, keeping winds a more easterly direction rather than northerly.

- Weatherzone

© Weatherzone 2014

They're forecasting 23C on Monday and Thursday this week, with a couple of days around 20,21C. That means I'll get to around 26C on Monday and Thursday if the forecast is right. We got to 22.4C today but the nights are still cold. I went from a min of 12.8C yesterday to a 1.9C this morning. Not enough moisture around.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Finally checked the rain guage today from the spell of rain over the weekend. 42mm! Ill take it after rain a week before. Gotta love the rain after the dry period we had. I really feel for the farmers whose livelihoods, not just gardens, depend on it.

Interesting to read about this winter weather in Australia and NZ ! Here this was a relatively "warm" winter.I registered only one day with a little fost formation at the lowest part of my property. Also this morning it was 5ºC on the thermometer of the car, with a litttle wet frost on car . No frost damage on my more tender palms and tropicals this year, August is our dry month here but it rained three times this month. Forecast is 2ºC this morning and 9ºC next Friday morning. http://www.simepar.br/

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

When Antarctic surges push the cold air northwards there must also be warmer tropical air being pushed down to Antarctica. So it appears that the current pathway for the cold air northwards is across Australia and NZ, whilst the warm air pathway is down across South America. It has to happen somewhere. There might be several pathways around the globe but those are the only ones I see. Air can't move one way without a chain reaction bringing other air in to replace it.

This has probably been one of the driest winters on record. We're about 300mm behind for the year. I got my new weather station up and running in the first week of August and since then I've averaged 7C min to 22.4C max. I reckon I went down to −1C one morning early this month and close to 0C a couple of times in July. At the moment we're waiting for rain to come in and around 9.30pm it's about 19C. No need for a heater tonight.

From what I can gather from locals this was an exceptionally cold/dry winter at least for minimums. The maximums have been subtropical. Weird.

216mm from the 21st to 28th, a good end to winter and a great way to kickstart Spring :)

Well I was happy with the 25mm we got yesterday. My stream was roaring and the lakes are filled and overflowing again. It was the first all day consistent rain we've had since I've been living down here. But Perth and the lower west coast have been getting the bulk of the strong storms and rainfall amounts. Donnybrook had 95mm to 9am yesterday and the rivers there are about to burst there banks. I hope we have a wet spring or even a wet summer. I won't complain if we get a warm and rainy growing season.

Perth recorded its warmest Winter on record.

The garden is pretty good condition, one of my Frangipani didn't even drop its leaves.

Hoping for a good Spring or at least no destruction like last year.

Perth recorded its warmest Winter on record.

The garden is pretty good condition, one of my Frangipani didn't even drop its leaves.

Hoping for a good Spring or at least no destruction like last year.

I wonder how my coconut is looking. It should have the best season ever this year then. Maybe this is the year it will try and flower.

Winter has officially ended in the southern hemisphere. Thank goodness for that. I think we've had the driest winter on record down here. Still, all the lakes are full.

It's not entirely accurate as I had some equipment fail in the end, but winter averaged 8.6C (47F) min and 21C (70F) max down here at my place. My June and July figures taken on a cheap max/min thermometer were 9.5Cmin/21.1 max and 9.1Cmin 20.1Cmax, but in August I switched first to a digital thermometer and then to a full on weather station mounted on the roof and recorded 7.3Cmin and 21.9C max for August. On my digital thermometer I recorded a min of 0.6C, but I think that the coldest I got down too was −1.0 (30F) to −0.5C(31F). I think I saw 6 frosty mornings here this winter with about another 6 that were cold but not cold enough to create frost.

The locals reckon this was one of the coldest winters in years as far as minimums are concerned and the driest, yet the days have been more like spring. I have an early mulberry variety in a pot that has ripened fruit on it in the middle of August. It's meant to be deciduous but never lost it's leaves.

This winter has taught me a lot about this new place. It's nothing like I expected it to be. Winter has taught me that this place is definitely NOT frost free. You have to be a km from the beach to make that claim. Most of my really cold events have been of a radiational nature and due to quite severe cold drainage. One of the big drawbacks of having water on your property is that you are likely in the lowest section of land in the area and all the cold drains down into your property. But I can fix this. On a positive this place gets far less strong winds than the surrounding areas. At night it's almost always dead still, whereas it can be blowing 20kmh at the official BOM site 6km away. On a cloudy night it's generally warmer than the official site, on a clear night about 2-3C cooler. But on any day it's about 1-4C warmer than the official readings. This is going to be a big plus during summer to push things along faster in growth as the official site is about 23,24C max in summer. If I can get it to average 27,28C and keep things moist I should be able to things to grow well here, especially with the extra humidity that the south coast brings.

So let's see what Spring brings. I recorded a 2.9C this morning but the day is beautiful at the moment.

September 1, first day of spring.

post-63-0-56009600-1409538340_thumb.jpg

In contrast to Australia we seem to be having the longest winter ever. Every day is the same, raining, dull cold. Mud everywhere, most of the jobs that need doing are on hold. Usually our winter consists of several days of rain followed by several days of bright sun, and periods of cold (with occaisonal days not even hitting 10C), periods of comparative warmth (20C+) with the rest somewhere in between. This winter has basically been just cold and cold, with a couple days of semi-warm. No doubt I'll be wanting rain again some time, but for now, enough!

Predicted high of 14C today, 9C overnight. Tomorrow 16C day, 8C night. With constant rain, of course. Still winter here!

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

In contrast to Australia we seem to be having the longest winter ever. Every day is the same, raining, dull cold. Mud everywhere, most of the jobs that need doing are on hold. Usually our winter consists of several days of rain followed by several days of bright sun, and periods of cold (with occaisonal days not even hitting 10C), periods of comparative warmth (20C+) with the rest somewhere in between. This winter has basically been just cold and cold, with a couple days of semi-warm. No doubt I'll be wanting rain again some time, but for now, enough!

Predicted high of 14C today, 9C overnight. Tomorrow 16C day, 8C night. With constant rain, of course. Still winter here!

It seems like all the cold fronts have missed us and are still getting NZ. I hope it warms up soon for you Ben.

September 1, first day of spring.

Beautiful looking "Putting Green" you have there Tyrone, be nice to chip with the 9 Iron over the water as well.

Happy Spring and happy growing, Pete :)

post-5709-0-46250700-1409626398.jpg

Happy Spring everyone! As comic97 told me "we did it!". Bring on a wet humid summer wherever you may be in the southern hemisphere.