IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The season we all hate in the southern hemisphere 2014

Tyrone

Melbourne is in for a cold weekend too. I am planning on it being below 5°c overnight for the next 4-5 days.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

I saw that Brisbane itself is down to 9.5C at 9pm. Beaudesert down to 4.5C or something.

Here the nights have been in high singles to low double digits, but the days are cloudy and rainy with about the same temps as the minimums. It was below 11C at 1pm and drizzling with the odd bit of lighter cloud. Freezing really.

My lake has come up and now my Ravenea's have water at their base as well as one of my Bangalows which is swimming. The weekend looks fine but cool. The first two weeks of July are statistically coolest so it will only get better from here.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bne currently 2.9 and 'feels like' 1.1 according to bom. After a mild autumn, we're really having a good test of the pinanga/areca cold hardiness.

My place isn't too bad this morning only 6.5, much better than a few days ago when it was 3.5?? I was expecting much worse here this morn.... Dodged that bullet maybe?

According to information I just heard on the radio from weather people, this morning is the coldest morning in Brisbane cbd since 1911, over 100 years. They recorded 2.4 degrees C today and coldest recording ever is 2.3 C

In my part of the southern hemisphere the hottest part of the year is just starting. The rainy season is transitioning into the dry season and temperatures will be getting up to 40 C and above until November. We did get the tail end of a cold front from the south about 2 weeks ago though. The high for the few days it was around hovered under 30 C. But, the nights never get under 22 C anyway.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Ouch, that is cold. Hope all is good - I assume that temp is a bit of a shock for the garden... And the locals!

We have had quite a long spell of cool nights/cold mornings here, most of the time between 2C and 7C for the last couple of weeks. After such a mild autumn, this is a bit if a shock to the system! At least the days are still warm, sunny and calm, so the palms can warm up again (and me!)

It's also a good test for my Cyrtostyachys hybrid. If it makes it through this winter it should be a winner! If not, then such is life!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Been cold up here too.........down into the single digits........What is your Cyrtostachys hybrid Daryl ??............. I remember you mentioning one that had bronze coloured new leaves, I had this form growing successfully for me in Tannum Sands (south of Gladstone). I picked up a small bronze new leaf one recently so am trialling it up here to see how it goes in comparison to the standard one.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I saw that ROCKY was 2c last night! Now that is ridiculous! Those lippys wont take it will they?

Alarm bells are ringing tonight at my place in Logan. Forecast for 3 tonight. After 4.9 on my thermometer today. Uh oh. Its funny cause there are people growing palms in places much colder than this. But hey, this is cold for qld!

The other night Proserpine up here in the tropics dropped down to 2.6 !!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

The weather's picked up a bit here but the freeze is continuing along the east coast.

My place bottomed out at 19.1 this morning, Darwin at 21.4.

Cairns was 13.8, Townsville 8.8, Mackay (airport) 6.6, and the further south the worse it is.

Don, that forest around you comes in handy this time of year.

The other night Proserpine up here in the tropics dropped down to 2.6 !!

Ouch. That was my minimum this morning. Just a little bit of light frost on exposed grass. Official min was 5.3C, but I was much colder. It's a lottery what you get around these parts.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Let's hope Spring kicks off early, and please don't send any more of those temps east - it was 2.7° here this morning.

I lost a baby lamb to cold yesterday morning. I'm sick of winter. The lake is chocka block full though and I have some Ravenea sitting in water as well as an Archontophoenix. All we need now is warmth. But that's off in the distance. :(

I lost a baby lamb to cold yesterday morning. I'm sick of winter. The lake is chocka block full though and I have some Ravenea sitting in water as well as an Archontophoenix. All we need now is warmth. But that's off in the distance. :(

Wow, that must be unusual! I've almsot broken my bad habit of sheep farming (about 100 ewes left!), and loosing lambs is not common without cold storm conditions. Did you have a lot of wind and rain at the same time? Usually it is exposure rather than wind that kills them.

I'm guessing you had no idea how cold it was going to be there Tyrone? I had the idea your new place would be dropping to extreme lows around the 5-6C range, and 9-10C most winter nights. Is this an unusually cold winter in WA?

I amost hate to tell you I've bottomed out at 3C here, and only 2 nights below 5C. Days are cold at present though, maxing at about 12C the last few days, which is nasty after the 18-20C days last week.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Yeah it was cold storm conditions. Before the front, the temp dropped for most of the night into the single digits, then the wind blew like hell, then it rained like hell and blew. The wind chill would have done it. Poor little thing. I'm going to have to make a wind and rain shelter for them.

So far this winter the lowest I've been is 0.7C (the locals say that was exceptionally cold that they've never really seen before) and I've had 4 nights below 5C. Most nights are high single digits low double digits. But when the wind blows here it's very strong. The problem living in what is a park.

It's probably a good thing to have your first winter the worst in living memory! That way it only gets better from here on in. Sound slike my expectations of your climate are right on average, just not this year. In a few months when it's 40C+ in Perth and you're sitting comfortable in highs 20's, the place will seem better! At least that's what I tell myself every winter when I suddenly get the overwhelming desire to live on a N QLD beach somewhere....

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

It's probably a good thing to have your first winter the worst in living memory! That way it only gets better from here on in. Sound slike my expectations of your climate are right on average, just not this year. In a few months when it's 40C+ in Perth and you're sitting comfortable in highs 20's, the place will seem better! At least that's what I tell myself every winter when I suddenly get the overwhelming desire to live on a N QLD beach somewhere....

Yeah, you're right. Perth will be 40C with 5% RH and it will be 27C and 60% RH down here, right bang on the money. Perth hasn't had such a great winter though. They've had more extreme cold than me and tornadoes. The days warm up better there though but only just. Perth has had 5 mornings below 5C this month vs my 4 nights for all of winter so far. I've been recording mid to high teens most days, but we did have a 13c max one day. Officially at the airport it's been cooler, but that's on a runway with absolutely no trees or cover and full wind chill. The wind is the killer here. If you're in the sun and out of the wind the difference is incredible. In the shade and in the full blast of the wind can be absolutely freezing in the day. I don't know what NZ is like, but if we don't have a storm or something coming through, the nights are dead still and moist. Once the sun comes up the wind starts. It's weird.

That freeze along the east coast is getting bad. Cairns was down to 9.9 this morning, Townsville 8.9, Mackay (airport) 5.0.

This morning my place bottomed out at 16.3, Darwin at 19.0. It's been getting up close to the mid 30s during the day of late, only a few weeks before the real heat starts moving in. But I think there's still a bit more cold weather to get through, unfortunately some more cold dips.

How do Lipsticks go at 9.9C?

I think it depends a lot on duration. A quick spike wouldn't do much. Staying consistently that low for a longer period would be disasterous.

Cairns was 11.2 this morning 05:25, 16.7 at 08:00 and 22.4 at 10:20.

Would the lippys in proserpine survive that day andrew mentioned. I think it was 2 or 3degrees.

The cold clear nights are getting a bit monotonous now. Perth has had thunderstorms and rain but the rain has bypassed us down here. Walpole to the west got thunderstorms and Esperance to the east got them but we got blue skies and a beautiful day. This will be another sub 5C night tonight.

I don't recall having seen Lippys in Proserpine (2.2 this morning), although I've never really looked around town all that much (despite having been there several times). In Cairns they're very visible. They used to have them in huge concrete pots in Darwin along the Smith Street Mall. In concrete, on concrete and near concrete/brick walls in the sun in oven temperatures. The irrigation seemed constantly running whenever I saw them. But they quickly became large and pot bound and were finally removed. Would have been good to get a few of these oversized rejects. A few years ago they planted hundreds of them near the wave pool and new convention centre (affectionally known as "The Woolshed"). They looked really great.

I feel your pain Tyronne,

Bottomed out at 3° here this morning, and the forecast for the next 2 days is not promising.

We are in the "bowels" of winter at the moment.

It didn't drop below 6C in the end and during the night the temp sprung back up to 10C so I was worrying for nothing. The temp just fell once the sun went down but something sprung it back up a bit during the night. I was driving back from friends in the middle of town and was watching the car thermometer change by 3 degrees in about 1000m as we approached my place. It went from 9C then down to 6C then back up to 8C as I pulled up the house.

Statistically for most places in southern Oz up to the subtropics the coldest time of the year is the first two weeks of July. We've past them now, so things should only get better. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. :)

Hurry up spring!!!!!

That's good news that we have hopefully moved past the worst of it.

Melbourne is dealing with still clear nights. The weather is not unpleasant , just too cold for my palms.

I also agree ( hopefully anyway ) that the coldest part of the year is over? The temps should slowly start to rise consistently from now on. Seq is very very dry again though!! It might be time for us to stop praying for warmer temps and start praying for rain!! If temps start rising without any rain falling then our cold affected palms won't recover too well..... Hand watering will only go so far?

By contrast NZ is getting hammered by a polar blast, with snow predicted down to low levels tonight, could be some on the hills above me tomorrow. Usually these snow events don't cause any damage where I am, but keeps the daytime highs below 10C, which I don't like! I've seen a hint of blackening on some tamarillo seedling leaves this last week (up to about 300mm above ground level), which doesn't sound like much but I've never seen it before in the 20+ years I've had tamarillos here, so it has been unusually cold already.

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

I hope things warm up for you soon Ben.

Rain is coming thru tonight thankfully. My nursery plants were drying out. On the weekend I changed one of my drains from a straight run, one level affair to a twisty windy stream with a couple of deep pools. I can't wait for a bit of rain to watch it flow like a torrent.

Finally I can experience what you guys are talking about, because normally I see it as balmy temperatures compared a northern European winter. Started my trip in Cairns halfway June were I only experienced a few cool inch nights. After going more south, I see why it is winter here. After sunset it is getting coo fast and needed a jacket as well. I do like the quick rising temperatures after sunrise with mostly sunny days. Had it really cold for the first time when I arrived in Australia during my stay in rockhampton. Also woke up because the cold in agnes water. I am in hervey bay now, where it somehow feel much milder :)

Southwest

I hope things warm up for you soon Ben.

Thanks Tyrone, so do I! 2C last night, coldest night of the year so far here. There's snow throughout the lower North Island hills. It's not in my area, but the you would not know it by the feel to the wind! 3C now at 8.00am. I need that fast tropical winter heat up that Robbin is talking about... but not likely to see it today with a predicted high of 10C :violin: At least the sun is shining, and sitting behind a window with the fire burning behind me is quite pleasant.

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

6C here at midday! This looks set to be the coldest daytime high I've ever recorded here. I'm trying to kid myself it's better to have some cold days and no frosty nights than to have warm days and frost, but the message is hard to get through standing outside in the wind today. At least these cold days without frost don't do any real damage.

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

It seems to me that part of the issue with winter is the frustration of having to put plans on hold, in some cases watching a gradual decline in the health of palms and not knowing if some palms will make it through.

It is also a very challenging time in terms of how to look after palms - how much water, whether to leave them out to soak up some sun, and when to start fertilising again.

I have a couple of garden beds to plant out, and a heap of seedlings to pot on, but I just have to wait until the weather warms up. I guess this is all because we "zone push" to some extent.

And right now it is 9.8C outside - at 12.40....

The big rains I was expecting were anything but. I never thought I'd say this but my nursery plants are bone dry. I had to run around and water them. I'm thinking of hooking up the pump again and watering in July. Ridonkulous.

6C here at midday! This looks set to be the coldest daytime high I've ever recorded here. I'm trying to kid myself it's better to have some cold days and no frosty nights than to have warm days and frost, but the message is hard to get through standing outside in the wind today. At least these cold days without frost don't do any real damage.

Heck. That's incredible for midday. That's cold.

Since asking for rain in my last post here we ( Brisbane ) had some winter storm action yesterday afternoon. Not much at my place but some areas got some decent rain out of it, even some hail ( I don't need that at my place! ). Temps slowly increasing with average min temps hovering at around 9 or 10 and max temps up around the 24 or 25 mark for the next week. I'm planning on getting a few palms in the ground very soon.

Since asking for rain in my last post here we ( Brisbane ) had some winter storm action yesterday afternoon. Not much at my place but some areas got some decent rain out of it, even some hail ( I don't need that at my place! ). Temps slowly increasing with average min temps hovering at around 9 or 10 and max temps up around the 24 or 25 mark for the next week. I'm planning on getting a few palms in the ground very soon.