IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The season we all hate in the southern hemisphere 2014

Tyrone

Well last night was weird. I measured a minimum of 15.5C and the official reading was 15.9C. Perth's was 16.2C. Most of the night sat around 17C which makes last night more like a typical summers night. I did hear the wind go ballistic for a moment last night, but it's dead still this morning, with the odd rain cloud floating around, but it's basically clear. Still waiting for rain. I reckon last night was a warm record for July down here. Coupled with the 25C I recorded yesterday, July isn't stacking up too badly. But I know this won't last. There will be a backlash somewhere. But I didn't light the fire last night and looking at the lawn I think it has actually grown overnight.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Steve, that ice would be a rare sight in QLD wouldn't it.

Not really Tyrone, where I live (in a valley) on the Gold Coast can get very cold at times. We had a frost here agian this morning and I expect another tomorrow morning. I lost two 13 year old Arenga Pinnata's to a bad frost here several years back. There are many places in SE Qld getting severe frost at the moment. Warwick just West of Brissy was down to minus 5.4 a few days ago.

Wow! Frost on the coast. Not good. 4.9 here at 7am. Then climbs very quickly to low 20s. Interested to see who comes out of this ok

Edited by NApalm

Well the cold front came through and the temp just dropped. With the high winds and rain the cold is biting.

Steve, minus 5.4C is incredibly cold. I suppose inland SE QLD suffers due to low humidity, and no cloud cover, plus add some elevation when a cold front pumps cold air onto the east coast and it'll get cold at night. At least the days would be nice and clear.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

My first time on the Gold Coast, in my teens, was a July. Beautiful clear blue skies, and frost everywhere. Even at Rockhampton out of town the paddocks as far as you could see were white. You don't really get away from those events until about the Whitsunday (Proserpine/Bowen) area. Warwick's problem is it has high altitude going against it.

i gave a brahea armata to my wife's uncle out Applethorpe way last spring. We're heading out there next week and i'm looking forward to how it went with -7 last week and -4 or similar last night. And to see 10 months worth of growth. Apparently the pipes were frozen this morning! Beautiful but cold country

Queensland. Beautiful one day. Frozen the next.

I think it's going to be cold here tonight. It's 10C at sundown, the dewpoint is meant to get down to 4C, the pressure has climbed as we're right under the middle of the high tonight and the sky has cleared and the wind died right down. Got the fire stoked tonight.

Hope it didn't get too cold for you last night Tyronne.

Melbourne is dishing up its usual July rubbish - windy, min temp around 5 -7, then slowly creeping up to 13 - 15 in the afternoon.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

It got cold alright. Officially 0.9C before sunrise. My thermometer said closer to 1.5C but the grass was crispy and even on my island away from the canopy my B madagascariensis had light frost on it when you felt the leaves. Anywhere with canopy was frost free though. I hope that's as cold as it gets here. Definitely going to need lots of canopy trees.

We're going for a max of 18C today which is entirely possible given the clear blue skies, and tomorrow is meant to be 20C after an overnight min of 14C, but the BOM is WAY out in getting the minimums right down here, so who knows what the next min will be. With cloud cover and the high moving east it should be much warmer.

Got down to 3C last night here, the coldest so far this year. But the dewpoint at dawn was -2C, with a wind straight from Antarctica. About as cold as I've ever felt in my life! Not a cloud in the sky now, and very pleasant when standing in the sun out of the wind. Not so good in exposed spots though... bring on spring.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Got down to 3C last night here, the coldest so far this year. But the dewpoint at dawn was -2C, with a wind straight from Antarctica. About as cold as I've ever felt in my life! Not a cloud in the sky now, and very pleasant when standing in the sun out of the wind. Not so good in exposed spots though... bring on spring.

Here here. Bring on spring

YES, bring on spring. Official min was 0.7C this morning. The day took ages to warm up. Now it's drizzling and hopefully won't drop below 10C. My Pritchardias have dark green blotches on their leaves. It doesn't sound good. I need to fill this place up with trees to stop the winds and provide canopy.

It's nearly midnight and 18C which is close to todays maximum. We're waiting on a big cold front to bring heavy falls for the next couple of days, but the northerlies make it feel like a summers night out there. Talk about a change in temps from Friday morning. I won't run the fire tonight then.

Do you see what's headed for you now, Tyrone? Looks like an express delivery direct from Antarctica. I think it's going to be far reaching.

It's wild and wooly here. My creek is now flowing like a torrent and my dams and main lake are filling up at a rate of knots. I've never been so cold in my life. They're forecasting snow on the Stirling Ranges about 100km north of me. We just had the wildest bit of wind kick us a few minutes ago and the temp has dropped to 7.4C at 5.45pm.

Batten down the hatches Tyrone, I don't think it's going to be over quick. Would snow be all that unusual on the Stirling Ranges? They're the highest point in the south west, aren't they?

I see Cairns (racecourse) is already down to 14.7 at 9:00 pm (their time). And Mackay (airport) is down to 10. It's still a long time to dawn.

Darwin is 21.7 at 8:30 pm (our time), and we're down to 20.4 so far. Not going to be nice for the next few days. Can't wait for this winter/dry season to end.

I just checked some AU temps...in the 30's at Brisbane and 40's in Cairns? That is awfully cold. Is this rare? I mean, Brisbane is about our latitude but south (I am in Tampa Bay) and already 30'sF at 2am. We see about 4-5 nights a winter like that, but we also have an arctic express (Thanks Canada) with a bullet line to FLorida. :innocent:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Batten down the hatches Tyrone, I don't think it's going to be over quick. Would snow be all that unusual on the Stirling Ranges? They're the highest point in the south west, aren't they?

I see Cairns (racecourse) is already down to 14.7 at 9:00 pm (their time). And Mackay (airport) is down to 10. It's still a long time to dawn.

Darwin is 21.7 at 8:30 pm (our time), and we're down to 20.4 so far. Not going to be nice for the next few days. Can't wait for this winter/dry season to end.

It's been a wild night. We've been in the bit behind the front for most of the night, so it's a lot of patchy cold pool stuff. The cells kind of come through and whip up with heavy rain and bits of hail, then it all dies down for a few minutes and repeats. The water level has come up a heap here.

Bluff Knoll in the Stirlings gets dusted by snow once or twice a decade. It's a few hrs climb to the top and some go collect snow in plastic bags, only to have it melt on the way down. Personally I've never seen snow, not even from a distance.

So does that mean you'll be good for water right through summer? My dam is now about one third full. The swamp is completely dry (well, damp soil in places), and my creek has only a couple of very small waterholes. We've only about another 3 months without rain.

Cairns bottomed out at 11.2 (the racecourse at 10.9).

Darwin bottomed out at 16.5, at my place 13.

Wow, you'd be freezing with 13C.

I'll never run out of water here. We had the driest summer/autumn on record and I had tonnes of water left. Since this morning the lake has risen about 200mm. Since Sunday it's risen about 600mm. This place is meant to get really wet in winter. I had some solar lights near the waters edge and I said to my wife that I should go and get them in the morning as they'll go under. I was too late and would need to wade out to get them now.

Gsytch, I think its kinda normal for brisbane. I just got back from applethorpe where it was -4 last night. We put a cup of water out and it was frozen in the morning! Ill never complain about the brisbane winter again. Haha

Tyrone, it's really interesting to read all your posts on your observations about your new climate. Reminds me a lot of our Winters here. You need to get yourself some canopy. I can tell you that pritchardia seedlings don't like anything below 2C if there's no overhead canopy. I plant mine on the hill where I have both overhead canopy and good cold air drainage. But once they get bigger they can take an occasional -1C or even -2C out in the open depending on which species. You should try to get a hold of p. beccariana if the plant police down there will let you import the seeds.

I am really surprised how cold it gets down under when you go further North. I guess that explains why king palms are so hardy. We have some king palms at the UCSC arboretum that took a 20 hour freeze that bottomed out at -7C in 1990 and survived with defoliation. These same king palms make it through -4C freezes without even a hint of foliage burn.

Gsytch, I think its kinda normal for brisbane. I just got back from applethorpe where it was -4 last night. We put a cup of water out and it was frozen in the morning! Ill never complain about the brisbane winter again. Haha

wow! that is cold for so far south (or north should I say)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

4.1 here at 6.05 am, the sun is just about to show itself which I think means the temp might drop a tiny bit more before it goes up again!!

Thank goodness for my big warm coffee!!

The quoted post was last Wednesday, this Wednesday ( today ) it is a flat 4 c at 5:30 am, we could drop down into the 3c range any minute now? I could be wrong but I don't recall very many (if any) temps this low here since I have lived in this house for the last 5.5 years? The forecast has the same happening again this coming Saturday morning.

But you should have a warm day to look forward to!

Tyrone, it's really interesting to read all your posts on your observations about your new climate. Reminds me a lot of our Winters here. You need to get yourself some canopy. I can tell you that pritchardia seedlings don't like anything below 2C if there's no overhead canopy. I plant mine on the hill where I have both overhead canopy and good cold air drainage. But once they get bigger they can take an occasional -1C or even -2C out in the open depending on which species. You should try to get a hold of p. beccariana if the plant police down there will let you import the seeds.

I am really surprised how cold it gets down under when you go further North. I guess that explains why king palms are so hardy. We have some king palms at the UCSC arboretum that took a 20 hour freeze that bottomed out at -7C in 1990 and survived with defoliation. These same king palms make it through -4C freezes without even a hint of foliage burn.

After the cold we had, none of the Pritchardias have shown any damage whatsoever. It's all about getting a canopy in here and wind breaks too. When the storms come through here it's like a jumbo jet taking off outside.

Fabulous.....

It is 2.54pm in Melbourne and it is 8.9 degrees C. When I get home from work the heater is going on in the shed. Sorry Ben and Stuart, but no sympathy for your cool overnight temperatures!

You're not kidding! Here cold is anything below 20, and if it gets below 15 it's absolutely freezing. Aren't you sorry you're not back in Coolalinga for a while?

You're not kidding! Here cold is anything below 20, and if it gets below 15 it's absolutely freezing. Aren't you sorry you're not back in Coolalinga for a while?

I loved Coolalinga. I want to go back and stay there again and the middle of winter would feel warm for sure.

I know how you must feel with anything below 20C being cold. I moved down here in Jan/Feb and the change was enormous. I felt cold when it was 18C when the sun went down here in summer. Having come from a place that would be 28C at midnight and needing air conditioning for 3 weeks 24/7 straight in February it was a shock. But if we had 18C mins here now, it would feel hot at night. I just got used to constant sweating and needing to stay hydrated constantly in Perth. The locals were sweating down here when it was 23C though!!!!!! To me the days were cold. I almost didn't sweat at all down here. Summer down here is no more than early November in Perth.

Fabulous.....

It is 2.54pm in Melbourne and it is 8.9 degrees C. When I get home from work the heater is going on in the shed. Sorry Ben and Stuart, but no sympathy for your cool overnight temperatures!

You have got that cold junk we had a couple of days ago. On Monday we didn't get above 11.8C or something. I heard it started snowing in SA today.

Hey NApalm, how was the brahea going in applethorpe? Did you plant the Jubea?

Gday bloke,

The brahea is still alive and looking good. Not much growth but I suspect a fair bit is happening under ground. There's a CIDP a few meters away going gangbusters. The jubea is being kept in the greenhouse until spring. A wise move I'd say. Lots and lots of sheep manure going down and wool as an insulator/mulch! If you've got it lying around why not! That was a first

Had a low of 11.5C last night with 15mm of rain and the stream is now flowing fast and the lakes are filling up fast. If the rain keeps coming down the main lake may fill and overflow into the bottom lake in the sheep paddock. It's great being able to hear the sound of running water.

Expected low of 4 degrees (39.2) tomorrow morning, the days are beautiful if the winds not up, counting the days to spring