IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The season we all hate in the southern hemisphere 2014

Tyrone

Well someone had to do it.

Meteorologically it starts tomorrow.

So far here is averaging around 9.4C min and 18.3C max and we did have one morning of 2.5C with a bit of crispiness on the exposed lawns in the morning. But we're way behind on rainfall.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone, you've got a nice big cold front heading your direction, should be something in that for you in a couple of days. And your evaporation rate should be pretty low, so shouldn't be too bad.

Meteorologically winter is the coldest 3 months of the year (usually determined in the temperate climates). So that's actually June July and August in the south, meaning winter starts 1st June. In the north they commonly go with the start being on the shortest day. Because of temperature lag that works out well with them because of their very severe winters. In the south because the cold time is so much milder it doesn't really matter that much.

This morning here minimum was 21, something I can deal with reasonably well. Makes me feel I've moved closer to the coast. But it has been colder, and probably will be again before this season's over. Day temperatures are pretty consistently low to mid 30s. And rainfall is right on average for June - zero!

Yes, we are expecting 5-10mm of rain tomorrow with some high winds. At the moment the sun is shining and it's actually quite warm for June at about 20C. A mild 10C overnight.

Perth was completely fogged out this morning closing the airport. My sister rang this morning and said it was gloomy and raining up there. They've had way more rain than us. They had 51mm the other day. We are behind by 200mm down here. Still everything is moist and green. Even in the height of summer this place stays green with no irrigation.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

That big front is approaching but it's blue skies at present and very strong NW winds and about 20C. Hopefully we'll get some decent rain from the system.

Nice here,,,quite warm for this time of year, no complaints...yet.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Had 16mm since 2pm and it's still falling. That's also about 5000L into the water tank which is really good.

Boy today was freezing. I had to wear a beany today.

We had a minimum of 9.5C and for most of the day it didn't rise above 12.5C with high winds and rain. Last night we had a bit of small hail. I've had close to 30mm of rain though and the water from the neighbours paddock is just starting to flow into my water channels. The neighbours paddock is flooded.

Now the high is moving in so the wind is virtually gone. I hope the cloud stays around at least for tonight.

With that high moving in and the wind dropping, won't that really drop your overnight temps? That still air is a killer here.

Same season we hate in the northern hemisphere, it just takes 6 months to get here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

With that high moving in and the wind dropping, won't that really drop your overnight temps? That still air is a killer here.

It has in Perth. They've thrown the blankets off and are down around 2C this morning and for the next few nights. I checked the thermometer this morning and it was 10C and bottomed out at 8.5C. The trouble is, it's not much warmer now at 14C, but the clouds are hanging around. I was just talking to my father in law this morning about Albany weather in winter and we agreed that it seems to kind of be a few degrees either side of 12C all the time.

This has been such a boring week! I don't remember seeing so much rain in Perth, I haven't been able to do anything. Add to that my Foxtel box croaked and I cant watch the world cup.

:badday:

Its been an incredibly mild winter her so far, and we've passed the winter solstice. Happy days ahead. I can almost hear the footy finals and Richie Benaud on the tele (maybe im stretching it a bit but im an optimist).

Coldest this week has been 8.5C and averaging around 11C minimum. Days have been in the 14-19C range. No rain forecast this week, just a bit of cloud.

Bloody cold here in Jones Gully near Crows Nest. I grabbed a ute load of timber yesterday for the combustion stove.

post-51-0-77966300-1403653712_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-27745700-1403653718_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It's been getting down to around 8 c at my place the last couple of mornings. Beautiful days of around 24 but a cool dry westerly has been showing it's ugly presence.

Temp goes down quick around sunset and that's when the fire comes in handy!! I need one of Wals logs though!!

If this is a bad as it gets I'll be happy!

post-6412-0-05151700-1403680712_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-75346500-1403680833_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-11107900-1403681018_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-69577500-1403681124_thumb.jp

Best time of year here.

But not so far down under.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Super pics that :) Looks like a picture taken in the tropics mate, your garden is lookin da goods

Great pics wal and ben. Dry season in fiji jim? Forecast of frost this morning! What on earth?

Tell you what, on a morning like this that fire looks very welcoming. From a nice first week of June we've plunged into a miserable winter here. Even had a minimum of 25 earlier on one morning. But this morning got down to 12, and then back up to 16 an hour before sunrise. Darwin still isn't too bad, their average minimum for June is 20 so far. Where I lived before average is over 21, and that's further from the coast than what I am now.

I didn't realise Fiji was so far south. Well, never really thought about it before anyway. Guess it would be the Solomons then that are closer to the equator. But with that surrounding ocean you wouldn't get as cold as here, nor as hot.

Had another cold front and freezing cold winds blow thru today. I'm glad I've got a wood fire. But the rain may start my creek running.

Very chilly here in the western suburbs of Brisbane this morning.... 4.7 d Celsius.... How rude!!! It's the coldest I can recall my weather station recording since I have had it which is about 4.5 years

You still did better than some other places nearby. Looks like only really "safe" place was out to sea - Cape Moreton.

SE_140627.jpg

A bit warmer this morning and a nice line of thunderstorms are tracking east this evening so some rain on the cards for most of us in SEQ.

Regards Neil

Edited by Neil C

Was up in Perth on the weekend and where we were went down to 3.4C around 11pm. Man it was cold. Days were nice and bright though.

I am quite surprised at how low the temps get in Perth and Brissy (overnight). I expect crap in Melbourne this time of year, but despite 20cms of snow falling on Buller over the weekend the lowest it got at my house was 5.3.

But the temps bounce back during the day in Perth and Brissy. Over the weekend the temp in Melbourne barely made 11 - 12 during the day (and it rained). Didnt stop me redoing a garden bed though. Hopefully July comes and goes "quickly"...

Climatic Zone: Vile..

Horrible weather around brissie the last 48 hours!! Cold and a strong dry westerly wind blowing, Yuck!!!!

Lows temps and persistant bad winds, not good!!

And by lunchtime I wont be so cocky. Forecast is 15, and it will take all day to get there.....

Well for June the official average readings for Perth and the closest BOM site to me were 7.5C-19.6C and 9.2C-17.7C respectively. So down here near the southern ocean was 1.7C warmer on average at night than Perth. I started taking my own readings midway thru June and they were generally a couple of degrees warmer than the official reading.

Isn't that strange Tyrone. The distance between one point and another can make such a difference. I'd like to see a proper weather station in Logan where our weather is updated every 10mins like Brisbane instead of 9am and 3pm. We can have large variations from Brisbane and you cant compare real time data. Very annoying

Edited by NApalm

It is interesting that Albany has been warmer overnight than Perth - I would think that generally the opposite would be the usual situation. I assume the difference is influenced in part by the micro climate at the location where the reading is taken.

And after kicking away at the start, Melbourne has put in an insipid performance during the first half of the day and now trails Brisbane 17.3 degrees to 12.9 degrees, and appears to have no chance of making up the difference, again...

The official readings for my area are taken from Albany airport next to the runway. So no real microclimate to speak of. Definitely no trees. Wide open spaces. The airport is about 4 or 5kms from my place though. On the coldest mornings Albany and the airport are almost always warmer than Perth. The official Albany figures are taken from the town about 1km from the sea and they are warmer than the airport by a degree or two.

It got to 21C and blue skies here today. We're waiting on a cold front to come through at the moment, but it's a starry night and still around 17C after 10pm. Hopefully we get a dumping of rain.

Steve, that ice would be a rare sight in QLD wouldn't it.

4.1 here at 6.05 am, the sun is just about to show itself which I think means the temp might drop a tiny bit more before it goes up again!!

Thank goodness for my big warm coffee!!