IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A massive El Nino is brewing out in the Pacific

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

Axel, have you ever read any on the topic of mathematics and statistics in relation to additional

dimensions outside the ones we are aware of and can measure? It's pretty fascinating stuff. That series on tv that was hosted by ..... oh whats his name.... shawshank redemption...black guy?

Anyway bring on El Nino if it means a mild winter, I could use a break

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

That was jet fuel Alex. Bill Mayer, John Stewart? Those guys can provide enough fuel to burn to create global warming by themselves. Good one, you did get me rolling. Im not sure about the Brahea comment, i think you will get a good run posting about Braheas .

Sorry you can't dial Bill or John, you might learn something.

Next you'll be telling us that the COSMOS series is leftist propaganda...

EL NINO!!!!

Cosmos series is just boring and sucks! EL NINO. The better series was. "How The Universe Works" hosted by that dirty jobs guy. EL NINO! Why are you still posting here Funkthulu? I recall three pages ago you were done?

EL NINO !

The problem with saying you're "done" in a thread is that the people who are dead wrong can keep posting and make it look like they "won" the debate. . .

EL NINO!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

We already did win, except it!

EL NINO

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

We already did win, except it!

EL NINO

I accept that I can't change the mind not set in logic or reason, but in belief and dogma. . . :winkie:

Haha! So go ahead and prepare for the apocalypse, ill go prepare a sandwich.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

And Funkthulhu, I expect you to be preparing now, don't want you to be a hypocrite like most GW Fanatics. I want proof that you have Solar Panels on your roof, Windmills between your palms, you better be a vegatarian and not eat any of my cows, and most importantly, I want to see a photo of your Chevy Volt or at a bare minimum, a Smart Car with a Barack Obama bumber sticker. Anything less than that and your not serious and just blowing smoke at us.

Edited by Gtlevine

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Haha.....LOL...... This moron gets slapped by the GW crowd and now gets on board with the latest disaster. I can't wait to see this guy explain this in another 30 years, if he is still alive. So funny, you just got to love it.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/22/I-recant-says-author-of-infamous-Seventies-Newsweek-global-cooling-article

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

And Funkthulhu, I expect you to be preparing now, don't want you to be a hypocrite like most GW Fanatics. I want proof that you have Solar Panels on your roof, Windmills between your palms, you better be a vegatarian and not eat any of my cows, and most importantly, I want to see a photo of your Chevy Volt or at a bare minimum, a Smart Car with a Barack Obama bumber sticker. Anything less than that and your not serious and just blowing smoke at us.

Who's a hypocrite? I never said I would do anything, this is an exercise in aggravating the opposition because I'm right, the science proves it, and it annoys the hell out of people like you who know it deep down but won't admit it. I've said previously in other threads, I don't have to change how I live my life. I don't have kids, and I don't plan on breeding accidentally. As a result nothing I do will be of much consequence in the long run, since my CO2 footprint gets buried with me. I'm also a Geologist, which means I know how quickly (geologically) the world will move on if we were to cause our own extinction. This is all about spitting on society's tendency to think that stubborn willful ignorance of opinion somehow has equal footing with established scientific facts.

Lastly, if you're going to dictate how I have to live my life to match your stereotypes, than I get to dictate how you pray daily at the alter of Faux News in the cathedral of big oil and old, bitter, white, male capitalists. . .

EL NINO 4EVER!!! :beat_deadhorse:

Thank you, you finally came out of the closet and exposed your agenda. I suspected you were a leftist drone, most of you think like and assembly line product. But i did want to give you the benefit of the doubt. But the drone agenda is always exposed eventually. America sucks, Capitalism sucks, Big Oil is evil, Fox News is the Devil..... Etc, etc, etc...... The drones are so predictable. So at least your not hiding your agenda anymore.

And of course your not practicing what you preach, the drones never do. Just like all the other drone dribble about spreading the wealth around. Its a beautiful thing as long as its my wealth and not yours getting spread around.

Same ole, same ole. You can go away now.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

now boys, play nice. :winkie:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

This is what the folks that are against global warming fear:

al-gore.jpg

This is what folks in favor of doing something about global warming fear:

Global-Warming-58874646906_xlarge.jpeg

global-warming-awarness-poster-design%20

And the news media ALL know how to capitalize on those fears!!!

Vanity-Fair-Green-Issue-global-warming-p

13things2.jpg

Unfortunately, a lot of the news media is really dumb. The news media on the right end of the scale isn't just dumb, it lies.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/01/01/13-dumbest-things-media-said-about-climate-chan/197331

now boys, play nice. :winkie:

Paul, this may be the beginnings of a bromance. Shhhh....don't interfere. :)

Here you guys go, have a field day with this.

I expect Alex to read every bit of this and report back in a month. I expect Funkthulhu to read every bit of this in ten minutes and report back in eleven minutes dismissing it all.

http://www.populartechnology.net/2009/10/peer-reviewed-papers-supporting.html?m=1

Edited by Gtlevine

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I have a feeling I need to get one last word in here before this thread gets closed.

I don't have to change how I live my life.

But you would have government force me to change how I live mine - according to your "beliefs."

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

BEST THREAD EVER!!!!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I have a feeling I need to get one last word in here before this thread gets closed.

I don't have to change how I live my life.

But you would have government force me to change how I live mine - according to your "beliefs."

Oh you gotta let this run a little longer, it's all in good fun.

Hey Dean, is it raining lots at your place yet? First tropical storm of the season Amanda actually was born in the East Pacific. http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/tropical-storm-hurricane-amanda-20140523

Looks like El Nino conditions are building. Our Norcal marine layer is already 5F warmer than usual, running 59-62F in the Mornings instead of the usual 50-52F. that's going to make a big difference for us.

Funkthulu, Gary, and all others, my chimp wasn't directed at anyone in particular but, rather at us all humans as we try to solve the smallest to the largest problems of our time on the planet. We can only learn as we go. I remind myself that no matter what side of an issue someone is debating, at least they are both thinking about humanity's problems, where as much of the population is just zombie-ing along, oblivious. Be careful of our evolutionary propensity for tribalism. We must evolve past that. Good luck to all.

Hey Dean, is it raining lots at your place yet? First tropical storm of the season Amanda actually was born in the East Pacific.

Axel, I was going to let you know. They just called off drought conditions over the state a few days ago, with what I heard is in the top ten years for rainfall statewide so far this year. And for Kona, this is the wettest month I can remember - 17 inches for me so far for May - normally not a big month for rain here.

But El Niños are usually dryer for Hawaii, at least the windward side. So I am thinking maybe that as the warm pool of warm water moves Eastward, perhaps it has a "wet" effect on Hawaii as it gets closer and to the south of us when it would probably have its greatest influence on Hawaii.

What ever is happening, the forest (and I) are really enjoying it.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Hey Dean, is it raining lots at your place yet? First tropical storm of the season Amanda actually was born in the East Pacific.

Axel, I was going to let you know. They just called off drought conditions over the state a few days ago, with what I heard is in the top ten years for rainfall statewide so far this year. And for Kona, this is the wettest month I can remember - 17 inches for me so far for May - normally not a big month for rain here.

But El Niños are usually dryer for Hawaii, at least the windward side. So I am thinking maybe that as the warm pool of warm water moves Eastward, perhaps it has a "wet" effect on Hawaii as it gets closer and to the south of us when it would probably have its greatest influence on Hawaii.

What ever is happening, the forest (and I) are really enjoying it.

El Nino is in full swing when the trade winds drop consistently and even reverse. The windward side ceases to be winward. West Hawaii should experience more rains because it becomes the winward side. So you should see an increase in rainfall.

I really hope it doesn't dry out on the Hilo side - none of us have any sprinklers...

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

I expect Alex to read every bit of this and report back in a month. I expect Funkthulhu to read every bit of this in ten minutes and report back in eleven minutes dismissing it all.

http://www.populartechnology.net/2009/10/peer-reviewed-papers-supporting.html?m=1

Huh, third link on a quick google search of your list. . . http://www.desmogblog.com/fossil-fools-fund-latest-petition

Guess I don't have to waste my time debunking that one, as it is already fully and completely labeled "Denier BS".

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Memorial Day Weekend.

EL NINO!

Funk, just as I predicted. I think the problem with all you leftist drones are that you have just spent too much time in all those gender bending courses and not enough in actual science.

EL NINO

Edited by Gtlevine

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I expect Alex to read every bit of this and report back in a month. I expect Funkthulhu to read every bit of this in ten minutes and report back in eleven minutes dismissing it all.http://www.populartechnology.net/2009/10/peer-reviewed-papers-supporting.html?m=1

Huh, third link on a quick google search of your list. . . http://www.desmogblog.com/fossil-fools-fund-latest-petition

Guess I don't have to waste my time debunking that one, as it is already fully and completely labeled "Denier BS".

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Memorial Day Weekend.

EL NINO!

Just so I get this right. When oil or some business funds "science" it is no longer valid and those that believe the reports are fools or "deniers"? When science is funded by those making a buck off leftist agendas, then that of course is true science? I always get this stuff confused.

Just within this PT microcosm you can see everything that is wrong in the world today. Two sides that are so dead set on being right that they have no open-mindedness to see their flaws. Everything has a solution. We won't find it by putting our hands over our ears and yelling while the other person is talking. I wish people would start to disregard the extreme elements in society and in particular politics. Even Europe is falling into this trap. Has anyone seen the election results in a few key countries over there? Elections results show a moving to a more polarized Europe. Something we here in the States have perfected.

Personally I have no doubt man has had an impact on our world and climate. But my degree in BioScience also tells me I know where most "scientist" bread is buttered and how easy it is set up "research" to get a particular result you were looking for. It has become very difficult to find research that is truly objective. It seems the new norm is causation by correlation. Science isn't for the people. It is for some cause or big business.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Don't try adding any reason into this thread Len, it's counterproductive.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I actually don't deny global warming but I agree with Len, that link goes to a gossip column that blows a bunch of hot air and doesn't even begin to address the science in those papers. I am sick of politicians and others trying to debate science without knowing anything about it.

I actually don't deny global warming but I agree with Len, that link goes to a gossip column that blows a bunch of hot air and doesn't even begin to address the science in those papers. I am sick of politicians and others trying to debate science without knowing anything about it.

No one denies global warming Axel, its the cause of it that is under question. The undeniable fact is no one on either side can prove man is a cause or even contributor to it. Len just repeated a fact that data can be easily fit to achieve the required outcome. Currently, it is the pro man made global warming side that has been proven to fix data and lie the worse. This is one big fat hoax! Like i said in a previous post, no global warming advocate will ever be able to actual show man made global warming in anything more than a computer simulation. Take away all the cars, cows, coal fired plants, etc...., and you will not change the current projectory of the climate at all. The climate is doing its own thing one way or another and anyone thinks differently is just living in left wing loony toon fantasy land.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I think the problem with all you leftist drones are that you have just spent too much time in all those gender bending courses and not enough in actual science.

Nice!

You know, when one's arguments are reduced to ad hominem, it's usually a clear sign they're on the ropes.

Its all in fun Matts, don't take it too seriously. But in a gesture of good will, i will officially institute a self imposed truce. Even if Funk says something dumb i will hold back so the Moderator does not delete this post.

Back to El Nino

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I think this might be a good place to close this topic. That way I don't have to delete it entirely, and it can serve as a good illustration and reminder of where these types of discussions inevitably end up.

Another topic regarding the pending El Niño may be in order. And I will make sure it stays on topic this time.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.