IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My palms...

fr8train

There was a severe thunderstorm warning in my area, so I brought my palms in just in case. I thought I'd share a few pics.

bf4z8n.jpg

sp. Super Silver

m819hg.jpg

33k9lxk.jpg

• Upvote 1

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

You have a great group of palms there. That maybe the largest palm collection in Wyoming.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Props to you for growing palms in Wyoming. They look very green and happy to me. What point in time is it okay to put them outside for good without worry about a random freeze/snow?

• Upvote 1

Had to laugh at Keith's comment about having the largest palm collection in Wyoming but it could very well be true. Nice collection too! I'm impressed by how healthy they look. Some of the blues are really blue in your photos.

So what are you doing for lighting source and how often do you water and feed them? Also curious what temp you try to keep them at when inside.

Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Nice palms! What kinds do you have?

Thanks! I have two larger wagnerianus, two B. sp. 'super silver,' four larger T. princeps (and 10 or so seedlings), T. takil (not the real deal most likely), T. campestris, C. var. cerifera, C. var. 'vulcano,' S. palmetto, S. 'lisa,' S. uresana, Cycas siamensis 'silver,' and various Phoenix hybrids I've misplaced the labels to (dactylifera x roebelenii or vice versa).

You have a great group of palms there. That maybe the largest palm collection in Wyoming.

Thank you. Given that Wyoming's population is so small, who knows!

Props to you for growing palms in Wyoming. They look very green and happy to me. What point in time is it okay to put them outside for good without worry about a random freeze/snow?

Thanks! I'm actually in Illinois now for a few days, where I've been bringing them for the summer.

I believe the last frost is in June, and the nights are always cool. During the winter, however, the palms grow great indoors as most of the windows in my apartment face south.

Had to laugh at Keith's comment about having the largest palm collection in Wyoming but it could very well be true. Nice collection too! I'm impressed by how healthy they look. Some of the blues are really blue in your photos.

So what are you doing for lighting source and how often do you water and feed them? Also curious what temp you try to keep them at when inside.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you : )

In the winter they stay with me in Wyoming, where fortunately enough most of my windows face south. It's an older house which is heated via radiators, I supplement heating by way of a portable heater, but I keep the palms near where the radiators are. Without the portable heater the temperature drops into the low 60s, and when they heat up it can get into the mid-80s. I keep the doors closed to where the palms are most of the time, so it gets cold at night, and hot when the heating comes on, coupled with the light, they keep growing through the winter.

Those are nice looking palms, but since when are palms not able to handle thunderstorms? Were you worried about hail?

• Upvote 1

My son in Des Moines is hunkered down in his basement with tornado warnings tonight. He said the hail was like the proverbial golf ball size. That might do some damage.

• Upvote 1

Those are nice looking palms, but since when are palms not able to handle thunderstorms? Were you worried about hail?

Thank you. Well, I've actually had pots broken and palms knocked around during spring and summer storms, so I figure it's not really a big deal to bring them in. There was actually hail in the area, but fortunately none here.

My son in Des Moines is hunkered down in his basement with tornado warnings tonight. He said the hail was like the proverbial golf ball size. That might do some damage.

Hope he's alright. In my particular area the worst of the storm passed to the north and to the south, splitting where I am.

Edited by fr8train

Nice. :) Could possibly be the ONLY palm collection in Wyoming.

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I always thought that lightning storms were beneficial to plants...increased nitrogen or something? .... as long as nothing gets zapped.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

BTW....those princeps are sweeeet!

Where will they go when they get too big for the house - Illinois or Wyoming (or somewhere else)?

Nice. :) Could possibly be the ONLY palm collection in Wyoming.

who knows :D

I always thought that lightning storms were beneficial to plants...increased nitrogen or something? .... as long as nothing gets zapped.

Maybe so, I'm always worried about the wind and so forth though, especially now after they've gone out for the first time. Some are a bit stretched from growing indoors.

BTW....those princeps are sweeeet!

Thanks man! <3 princeps

I'll try get some photos when it drys out a bit.

Where will they go when they get too big for the house - Illinois or Wyoming (or somewhere else)?

I don't think of my residence as permanent, and as far location goes, who knows. Maybe I'll end up in Arizona or Florida, if not, idk. It's still too far into the future to know for sure.

Edited by fr8train

There is definitely an art to growing inside. Do you...or have you thought about changing your light bulbs to full spectrum bulbs for more growth?

Your plants look great, do you allow them outside to play in the warm months?

Just noticed............you need some pinnate stuff....chameodoria's would fit the bill.

Those Waggies are phenomenal. I have five myself.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

That's a sweet collection! I have many of these palms myself. All robust little fellas who don't just cark it when you leave them outside for too long in fall/ winter. Except, of course, if they fly away in the thunderstorm:-).

Flo

• Upvote 1

There is definitely an art to growing inside. Do you...or have you thought about changing your light bulbs to full spectrum bulbs for more growth?

Your plants look great, do you allow them outside to play in the warm months?

Well in my particular case they're all near southwards facing windows so I've never really supplement light, and yes, they're going outside in Illinois for the summer.

Just noticed............you need some pinnate stuff....chameodoria's would fit the bill.

The Phoenix are my only pinnate palms at the moment. I'm temped to pick up a Butia dwarf of some sort, as far as chameodoria go, maybe, but I don't even know where to start.

Those Waggies are phenomenal. I have five myself.

Nice. I used to have more, but I gave some away. Maybe it was for the best, as they seem to be the fastest growing for me.

That's a sweet collection! I have many of these palms myself. All robust little fellas who don't just cark it when you leave them outside for too long in fall/ winter. Except, of course, if they fly away in the thunderstorm:-).

Flo

Thanks! Yeah they're pretty tough plants, for the most part. lol

Your taste in palms matches mine perfectly. I've been craving a butia catarinensis for a while. I tried germinating T. Princeps seeds but the batch was bad.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Your taste in palms matches mine perfectly. I've been craving a butia catarinensis for a while. I tried germinating T. Princeps seeds but the batch was bad.

I love the cold hardy verities. : ) Butia purpurascens was the variety I was looking at, I've never actually heard of catarinensis, it looks good too. Where did you get your princeps seeds? I think 9 out of 25 (I think, I need to count them) of my princeps seeds have germinated since last February, I'm still hopeful about the rest. My seeds are from coldplant.

Edited by fr8train

I love the cold hardy verities. : ) Butia purpurascens was the variety I was looking at, I've never actually heard of catarinensis, it looks good too. Where did you get your princeps seeds? I think 9 out of 25 (I think, I need to count them) of my princeps seeds have germinated since last February, I'm still hopeful about the rest. My seeds are from coldplant.

I think 9 out of 25 is already a very good result. Garry says 0-20%.. I had 12 out of 25 so I think he was being a little pessimistic.

And btw. I have a Butia purpurascens, they're much rarer to come by here than catarinensis.

Flo

You have a wonderful palm collection and I can truly appreciate your love. I did that as well for years with many tropical species that "should not be grown" where I live.

• Upvote 1

Nice work man! We love the extreme here. Gives stories to tell at PRA's! :)

Thanks!

I think 9 out of 25 is already a very good result. Garry says 0-20%.. I had 12 out of 25 so I think he was being a little pessimistic.

And btw. I have a Butia purpurascens, they're much rarer to come by here than catarinensis.

Flo

I still have the rest, so I'm hoping more will come up, if not, I guess I should be happy with what I have. I sometimes wonder about the subspeices of Butia, there are so many and more seem to pop up every day. I like the compact form, mostly due to space, though I again, maybe I'm being too optimistic about the future. :)

You have a wonderful palm collection and I can truly appreciate your love. I did that as well for years with many tropical species that "should not be grown" where I live.

Thank you, and I can only hope they continue doing well into the future. Maybe someday they won't be growing in an area where they "should not be grown." :happy:

Nice collection....definitely dont want them rolling away across the yard!

Thanks Jim! Maybe I worry too much, but you never know : )

Edited by fr8train

• 2 weeks later...

So cool! You are gonna laugh at my thread voicing my concern of fruiting dates on Northern CA!

Nice collection of palms thanks for posting !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 1 month later...

How about a picture of these now outside backing in the Wyoming sun?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages