IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal causiarum 'Lisa'

Alicehunter2000

Interesting thread....I lost most of my S.Lisa..I think they say 6/10 carry the trait.

I just noticed(or think I did)that me last one appears to be having a Lisa leaf right

now-need to take a closer look...this palm still has straps..

Not a hoax at all. Tom collected the seed and I grew them up to a 3 gal. size and then we planted them out in July, 2004 (year may be wrong).

Here are some photos showing the progress. Palm to Tom's right is the S. caus. 'Lisoid' and then one to his left is one that developed normally. I wish I had dated these pictures when I took them.

DSCN0626.jpg

Here is the planting about two years after it was put in without Tom in the picture. S. causiarum's in the rear:

DSCN0625.jpg

Close up of the Lisoid S. causiarum:

DSCN0628.jpg

This photo is of the same palm in 2012 (yippee, I dated a photo). Notice the small diameter of the trunk. The S. causiarum (not shown) next to it has a massive trunk with characteristic ligules.

DSC_0029_zps3dc42dec.jpg

The whole Sabal area at the Bamboo Farm in 2012:

DSC_0015_zpsc72c9acb.jpg

I remember talking to Dr. Kyle Brown at his house one time and he had a similar experience with Sabal seed germinating and being remarkably different from the parent. I think that Sabals have some frisky genes!

Even if produces seeds that won't give the same "lisa" style of leaves, it would be cool to get a new causiarum with such a skinny trunk, that in itself is an extremely unique mutation. I've never ever seen a causiarum which such a tiny trunk. Are you sure it's even a causiarum? If the seed really came from a causiarum, then maybe it might explain what LIsa are. Perhaps all Lisa are actually palmetto x causiarum, and here you might have a causiarum x palmetto. In all honesty, odds are you somehow got a lisa palmetto mixed in with your seedlings, but I wouldn't rule out all the other possibilities.

Sorry no seeds, I just swung by and there are a ton of dried up flowers but no seeds. I snapped a couple pics too. Unfortunately it's dark do the pics suck, but you can still get the idea. I'll attach the pics.

Agreed, i think it's pretty cool looking. Ha, too bad nobody sells these our I'd buy one!

Me too : )

And seeds if possible please!

2nd

post-5591-0-30263200-1401857078_thumb.jp

post-5591-0-58051900-1401857097_thumb.jp

post-5591-0-20819300-1401857113_thumb.jp

post-5591-0-28071800-1401857130_thumb.jp

• Upvote 5

Jerod

SurfCityPalms.com

• 3 weeks later...

That's a cool looking Chamaerops. I would grow it. Actually if the flowers do develop into seeds, count me in.

• Upvote 3

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 6 months later...

Sorry no seeds, I just swung by and there are a ton of dried up flowers but no seeds. I snapped a couple pics too. Unfortunately it's dark do the pics suck, but you can still get the idea. I'll attach the pics.

Thanks for posting, love the way it looks.

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2014 9:45:57, SurfCityPalms said:

post-5591-0-30263200-1401857078_thumb.jp

post-5591-0-58051900-1401857097_thumb.jp

post-5591-0-20819300-1401857113_thumb.jp

post-5591-0-28071800-1401857130_thumb.jp

:o

There's more!

Yikes!

IMG_20150704_26662.thumb.jpg.75e2a07d844

$

Edited by Danilopez89
This is a bump
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have big hopes for this tiny Sabal 'Lisa' I just got via JM. I understand for this palm sport that not all seeds grow true to form. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I believe even these little leaves are already showing some 'cupping' tendencies. ;)

Sabal_lisa.png

• Upvote 1

They look "cupped" to me. Run the length of the leaves between your thumb & forefinger to feel for a convex shape. Still, you may not know for sure until it is 2-3 years old.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

They look "cupped" to me. Run the length of the leaves between your thumb & forefinger to feel for a convex shape. Still, you may not know for sure until it is 2-3 years old.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll do that. But when it's 2-3 years old and I realize it's not a lisoid type, I'll probably be too attached to it to care!:rolleyes:

I got my Sabal palmetto 'Lisa' from Meg. Most were "cupped" but some started getting the split leaves as they grew to a full 3 gallon size. I think I purchased a dozen from her, 6 booted, 6 non booted variants. Of the 12, 7 were Lisa, 5 did not hold the mutation. Because of a lack of space in my garden, I planted 1, gave away or donated to the SFPS the rest. I have regrets now, but we can't change the past.

Hopefully they are being loved in someone else's garden. The one I kept I believe is the booted variety of Lisa. Can't be sure, it still has not trunked.. I believe Sabal palmetto 'Lisa' is slower than a typical Sabal palmetto.

I was same thinking as Andrew about the Lisa. Until I actually saw one in another person's garden. They are so much better looking in person. You would never know it was a Sabal palmetto.

ts

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

48 minutes ago, Moose said:

I got my Sabal palmetto 'Lisa' from Meg. Most were "cupped" but some started getting the split leaves as they grew to a full 3 gallon size. I think I purchased a dozen from her, 6 booted, 6 non booted variants. Of the 12, 7 were Lisa, 5 did not hold the mutation. Because of a lack of space in my garden, I planted 1, gave away or donated to the SFPS the rest. I have regrets now, but we can't change the past.

Hopefully they are being loved in someone else's garden. The one I kept I believe is the booted variety of Lisa. Can't be sure, it still has not trunked.. I believe Sabal palmetto 'Lisa' is slower than a typical Sabal palmetto.

I was same thinking as Andrew about the Lisa. Until I actually saw one in another person's garden. They are so much better looking in person. You would never know it was a Sabal palmetto.

ts

What do you mean by "booted" vs "non-booted"? As far as I'm aware, S. lisa develops a boot-covered trunk like a typical S. palmetto until they're either removed or fall off due to old-age. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

21 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

What do you mean by "booted" vs "non-booted"? As far as I'm aware, S. lisa develops a boot-covered trunk like a typical S. palmetto until they're either removed or fall off due to old-age. 

Some Sabal palmetto hold on to their "boots" for a long time while others abscise quicker. Seen this in the everglades not affected by fire many times.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

33 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

A70636A3-A0B8-4663-BAEA-7977DA312CEA.thu87DA2D68-2644-4271-AD07-703CFE919BF2.thu

Brad: Nicely grown! Suggests what we will (hopefully) see with our own little lisoid palms. ^_^

You have a nice collection of seedlings Brad. I hope the winter was not too bad for you.

1 hour ago, Scot from SC said:

You have a nice collection of seedlings Brad. I hope the winter was not too bad for you.

Horrible winter. Lost all palms that weren’t in the heated greenhouse except two Trachies. The more these grow the more they become Lisa. I think most of these are true to type. 

Edited by Brad Mondel

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Ouch! I am sorry to hear that you lost some palms. Are you still in Greenville, or have you made the move to the beach? You have some gems in the Lisa palms. They are beautiful palms. I have a young one in ground.

Very unique look...I forget what the ratio was of seed that would produce this effect....

maybe 12-14 out of 20,I had a nice small one with this leaf(etc)variation, the leaves on 

the ones with this trait would show first by displaying cupped strap leaves before the

trait showed up in the divided leaves.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this in my biggest Lisa seedling.

Hopefully turns into a True Lisa.

Regards.5AB2EF12-4C29-4259-B363-C1E76619A66F.thu22681476-9631-4E4B-9D9C-04F0132C9501.thu5AB2EF12-4C29-4259-B363-C1E76619A66F.thuEB36A4B2-62A8-491D-9D62-1CB42653FA4A.thu8CD2958F-2713-409F-BCD1-8DDA2C77F5B9.thu

• Upvote 6

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, Moose said:

Did any Lisoid causarium seeds ever make it into palmy hands? :huh:

Bump again, as I'm curious too.

Btw how's your 'lisa'?

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick