IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

March Thread

Trópico

Mid 40's the past couple of days here but not too bad really. Plenty of warmup into the low to mid 70's each afternoon. I dare not say winter is over but it is definitely running out of time to do any damage around here. Here's to a long stretch of 80's and 90's to come with lots of sun, humidy and eventually thunderstorms as we get closer to the rainy season!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Mid 40's the past couple of days here but not too bad really. Plenty of warmup into the low to mid 70's each afternoon. I dare not say winter is over but it is definitely running out of time to do any damage around here. Here's to a long stretch of 80's and 90's to come with lots of sun, humidy and eventually thunderstorms as we get closer to the rainy season!

I'll cheer to that.   Unfortunately, for me that won't happen till Late May, early June..but when it does happen here, it seems like it jumps from 60's/40's to 90's/70's overnight, with no transition...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I have been going back and forth across the equator a lot lately.  From here to Boa Vista, Roraima it is 775 kms and about half way you cross the equator.  It is interesting to see how the seasons change from the Southern Hemisphere to the Northen Hemishpere  in such a short distance.  March is our rainiest month in Manaus and it one of the driest in Boa Vista.  As the rainy season winds down here it starts there.

There are some interesting differences with being on the equator.  For one the night sky has the Big Dipper, Orion, and the Southern Cross at the same time.   The other is the light intensity.  Our light is real sharp as the sun is almost directly overhead with little seasonal variation.  You have virtually no daytime shadows, only during the morning and afternoon.   And, seasons don't make much difference, rainfall does.  So our techincal winter is the summer and north of the equator it is the opposite.

Here is Manaus in the rainy season

location lat/long 3.06 S 60.00 W

MAO19Mar.jpg  

Here is Boa Vista where the dry season is ending.

location  lat/long 2.85 N 60.69 W

bvbmar19.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hi,

After a colder week's it looks like spring is return from Sunday again ... Tomorrow the expect a little sunshine and a daytemp around the 10C/50F but then springs is back again :) Only the night's are a little cool because we gonna get clear sky's ...

Sunday 25-03

Day: 12C/53.6F

Night: 5C/41F

Sunny and dry

Monday 26-03

Day: 15C/59F

Night: 4C/39.2F

Sunny and dry

Tuesday 27-03

Day: 15C/59F

Night: 3C/37.4F

Sunny and dry

Wednesday 28-03

Day: 17C/62.2F

Night: 3C/37.4F

Sunny and dry

Thursday 29-03

Day: 18C/64.4F

Night: 4C/39.2F

Sunny and dry ...

Maybe i get the 20C/68F on fryday ... we will see but it would be a very nice week that's coming :D

Robbin

Southwest

been pretty warm here too.....

Tuesday 72f/50f

Wednesday  66f/41

Then it drops about 10f after that.... still not too bad

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Oke today was sunny and with a nice tempeture it was a very good spring day :) I have got almost 18C/64.4F.

Robbin

Southwest

So..It looks like highs won't be much lower than 80F around here until about November?  :cool:  No more cold fronts are going to penetrate this far south with any kind of authority. We might get one of those stalled boundaries in May or early June that hangs out and gives a westerly flow off the gulf and lots of rain! April will be blisteringly dry, hot and rather cloudless...My newly planted palms will suffer until late May or early June when the rainy season kicks up. I can't wait to see those forboding cumulonimbus clouds moving in from the east!  :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Mar. 27 2007,22:43)

April will be blisteringly dry, hot and rather cloudless...

Exactly like Sonora. Palm Springs/El Centro/Yuma/Phoenix/El Paso. Comfortable heat  :cool:

A quick front passed over California today. As usual, all wind. Little to no rain  :(

RAIN

Today : 0.03

March :  0.04

Rain year [jul/jun] : 4.40  :o  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Supposed to get up into the mid to upper 80's here the next few days :)

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yesterday was our hottest day of the year so far at 17°C/63°F, hardly tropical, but a good temperature for March here.  The sun was shining all day and, whilst I wouldn't say it felt warm, it didn't feel cold for the first time in a long while.  The recent weather pattern here has been the opposite of the past few months with daytime temperatures above average and nights close to average, largely due to clearer skies.  Thursday and Friday are forecast to be a little cooler, after which the night time temperatures pick a little with most nights forecast at 6-7°C/43-45°F, a few degrees warmer than this week.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Yesterday was 78f in my yard - it was incredible...... Today will be a cold 65f... and then around 60f for the rest of the week..... still not too bad for late march...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(happ @ Mar. 27 2007,23:27)

(ruskinPalms @ Mar. 27 2007,22:43)

April will be blisteringly dry, hot and rather cloudless...

Exactly like Sonora. Palm Springs/El Centro/Yuma/Phoenix/El Paso. Comfortable heat  :cool:

A quick front passed over California today. As usual, all wind. Little to no rain  :(

RAIN

Hey Happ, how much rain should you have had so far for a year? That seems mighty dry. I guess Socal is something of a semiarid to arid climate though so irrigation is your friend!  I hope that you guys can stay away from wildfires in residential areas.  I have a feeling we will be getting our fair share of wildfires heading through the next couple of months. They have built a lot of new housing developments east of I75 and US 301 here in Hillsborough county, FL. These large roads have actually acted as fire breaks in the past. Not to mention areas closer to the west coast and bay here usually start to get strong seabreezes that tend to steer fires inland. But I fear there is going to be a disaster in the near future with these big communities being built in very vulnerable areas further inland. There were some scares just past year in some of the inland housing developments here in Hillsborough. It is only a matter of time I am afraid.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Mar. 28 2007,09:38)

RAIN

Hey Happ, how much rain should you have had so far for a year? That seems mighty dry. I guess Socal is something of a semiarid to arid climate though so irrigation is your friend!  I hope that you guys can stay away from wildfires in residential areas.  I have a feeling we will be getting our fair share of wildfires heading through the next couple of months. They have built a lot of new housing developments east of I75 and US 301 here in Hillsborough county, FL. These large roads have actually acted as fire breaks in the past. Not to mention areas closer to the west coast and bay here usually start to get strong seabreezes that tend to steer fires inland. But I fear there is going to be a disaster in the near future with these big communities being built in very vulnerable areas further inland. There were some scares just past year in some of the inland housing developments here in Hillsborough. It is only a matter of time I am afraid.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Low 80s high, low 60s for a low. I WISH it stays like that ALL the time! Perfect for humans, good enough to make palms grow. Like back home in the mountains.

But those drier winds you can keep them.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

happ

It doesn't have a happy ending, but I recommend "Caddilac Desert: The American West and Its Dissappearing Water" by Marc Reisner......

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

WE nned some rain!! Only slightly under 5" for the year so far. :angry:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I actually had a trace of precipitation yesterday. One of those little showers from the Atlantic actually rode the east winds all the way over to the west side yesterday evening!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Interesting spread of temps this morning.

0.900h

LA/USC : 60  

LAX : 57  

FULLERTON : 60  

LEO CARRILLO : 60  

LOS ALAMITOS : 55  

CLAREMONT : 66  

SAN RAFAEL HILLS  66

WHITTIER HILLS : 69

From the beach inland to the foothills.

Nice end to March. bye bye  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

March for here, again warmer then normal ... just like every month now, not a record but almost every day was warmer then normal.

This month was absoluty sunny and i get 60mm/2.36inches of rain ...

Bye march and say hello to April wat starts again a lot to warm, maybe tomorrow the 20C/68F, and that also maybe for the monday. Normal for the time of year is 11C/51.8F so thats 9C/16.2F to warm :) But i don't care :)

After that it's gonna be a little colder around the 13-14C but still very sunny and dry :) Good spring so far!

Robbin

Southwest

Wow! 54.4F this morning. What happened to spring?

Won't complain though, as its only supposed to be about mid to upper 70's for the high today and I had 8 cubic yards of mulch delivered the other day, so am going to have a great time this weekend and enjoy the cooler temps to work in.

Was just listening to the news. Snow in Amarillo? Are you kidding?

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(ZoneTenNut @ Apr. 07 2007,06:57)

Wow! 54.4F this morning. What happened to spring?

59.2F here with a forecast of 47F?!?!?!

Where is GSN?  He needs to come in here and blast weathermen in his usual fashion :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 07 2007,07:03)

59.2F here with a forecast of 47F?!?!?!

Where is GSN?  He needs to come in here and blast weathermen in his usual fashion :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Apr. 09 2007,15:44)

Even they can't be to wrong from here on out, 90+ degrees, and 50 percent chance of afternoon thunderstorms come middle May thru September,enough said!  :P

Scott-

As I mentioned in another thread, they even managed to be off their rockers today.

The forecast high for today....78F.

Actual high in my yard....61F!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry

Here's NWS bulletin -

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY RUSKIN FL

852 PM EDT MON APR 9 2007

.SYNOPSIS...135 KT SUBTROPICAL JET STREAMING RIGHT OVER THE

PENINSULA. GOOD DIVERGENCE ALOFT COMBINED WITH MOIST MID AND UPPER

LEVELS AND STALLED FRONTAL BOUNDARY ACROSS THE REGION ALLOWING FOR

MODEST RAINS THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING NORTH OF SARASOTA.

&&

.DISCUSSION...STATIONARY FRONTAL BOUNDARY LOCATED ROUGHLY FROM

JUST SOUTH OF KSRQ TO KVRB. VERY TIGHT TEMPERATURE GRADIENT ACROSS

THE FRONT WITH TEMPERATURES OVER LEVY COUNTY IN THE MID 50S FOR

HIGHS TODAY WHEREAS KPGD GOT UP TO 83! FOR THE EVENING

FORECAST...DO NOT EXPECT TEMPERATURES OVER THE CENTRAL AND

NORTHERN ZONES TO CHANGE MUCH MORE FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT.

FURTHER SOUTH READINGS SHOULD FALL TO AROUND 60 DOWN SOUTH IN THE

COLDER SPOTS.

Don't endorse ignoring the weather services but have sent many an email of complaint cc to the Western Regional Office. Generally it's someone sleeping on the job. The inaccuracy of temperatures was likely model-driven.

Why are we discussing this in "March" ?  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Apr. 09 2007,23:20)

Don't endorse ignoring the weather services but have sent many an email of complaint cc to the Western Regional Office. Generally it's someone sleeping on the job. The inaccuracy of temperatures was likely model-driven.

Why are we discussing this in "March" ?  :laugh:

Happ,

Oh is that how they forecast the weather? They DREAM it the night before? :laugh:

Models ,smodels, just curious would that be model AIRPLANES or TRAINS? :P

I guess the reason we are dissussing this in March is because it shows yet again, just how much the meteos don't have a clue about what the weather is REALLY going to do! :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

This march, we have had very little rain. I could use some, but not in nearly as bad shape as So-cal or Aussie. We have had 16 inches so far, at my place, but last year I think we had 40+ inches. At least the water levels are around 100% perhaps a little more, most of it from last year.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science