IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

March Thread

Trópico

Bobby, I feel bad complaining about my brush with freezing tempuratures this winter at 32.2F when you mention near single digit lows like that. I hope your palms hold up until you can transplant them and yourself down here to Florida.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 06 2007,14:30)

What is the coldest temp youve logged over the past two winters?

This winter my guess is 32F (I lost all of my thermometers). The past winter it was 22F with thermometer out in the open with no canopy.

You have the water and I have the heat island to my east.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Low this morning of 54.5F and should hit the 80F mark today.  Other than the low to mid 70's highs the last couple days, we've had quite a bit of heat and the palms are pushing out new spears all over the place, so the growing season has begun in earnest here. Really happy to see warmth again.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(Trópico @ Mar. 07 2007,06:08)

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 06 2007,14:30)

What is the coldest temp youve logged over the past two winters?

This winter my guess is 32F (I lost all of my thermometers). The past winter it was 22F with thermometer out in the open with no canopy.

You have the water and I have the heat island to my east.

I have measured 34F here in Feb 2006 and Feb 2007.

At the ground, I measured 28F in Feb 2006 and 29F in Feb 2007.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 07 2007,07:30)

Low this morning of 54.5F and should hit the 80F mark today.  Other than the low to mid 70's highs the last couple days, we've had quite a bit of heat and the palms are pushing out new spears all over the place, so the growing season has begun in earnest here. Really happy to see warmth again.

Yes Zone 10....I think we are ready to get things in full swing now!  The weather.com 10 day looks beautiful.

Larry 

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 07 2007,07:30)

Low this morning of 54.5F and should hit the 80F mark today.  

As usual, a few degrees cooler up here in the north Pinellas tundra.  The low was 51.8F at 619AM and the forecast high is 77F.  

The rats in downtown St. Pete had a low of 59F this AM.  If I am within 7-8 degrees of that reading I consider myself happy  :D

Larry 

Bobby, I feel bad complaining about my brush with freezing tempuratures this winter at 32.2F when you mention near single digit lows like that. I hope your palms hold up until you can transplant them and yourself down here to Florida

So far so good. Managed to stay at 50f in all my enclosures...   This latest cold blast set all kinds of records.. We are 25f BELOW normal temps for March, but after tomorrow night we're in for a serious warmup to even above normal temps for the next week or so.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 07 2007,08:12)

The rats in downtown St. Pete had a low of 59F this AM.  

Larry,

It still amazes me how consistently much warmer downtown St. Pete remains. Just goes to show, how with such huge microclimate differences, it is oftentimes worth trying that marginal palm.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 07 2007,14:48)

Larry,

It still amazes me how consistently much warmer downtown St. Pete remains.

Their minimum low this winter was 44F.

The minimum low last winter was 46F.

This is why I call them rats!

Also, I should add that there are other areas around Pinellas (in obvious spots if one looks at a map) which have similar climates, but there are not official stations there.

Larry 

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 07 2007,14:48)

Just goes to show, how with such huge microclimate differences, it is oftentimes worth trying that marginal palm.

Roger

Yes....as long as one knows they are in the "good" microclimate!

I still try and trick myself into thinking that I am  :P

All in all, I cannot complain of my spot as if I were just a bit east of here, or worse yet northeast, I wouldnt be able to have half of whats in my yard.  But, as is the usual case, one always wishes they had just a bit more......

Larry 

Sitting in my hotel lobby right now in Nassau, Bahamas.. Currently Sunny & 82f.. I'll be taking lots of pics... Some serious foliage here.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

If I were you, I'd go get an early afternoon rum drink served in a coconut shell, and do a whole lot of nothing by the beach.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Was fortunate not to lose anything this year to the BIG FREEZE we had and now new growth is really starting to kick into high gear with this nice weather we have been enjoying the last week or so and at least for the next 10 days.  Looks like it might be time to start planting again after what initialy started out to be a good winter which quickly turned bad and agonizing.  

Sun

Mar 11  

92°/62°  

Mon

Mar 12  Sunny

95°/60°  

Tue

Mar 13  Partly Cloudy

88°/58°  

Wed

Mar 14  Sunny

85°/57°  

Thu

Mar 15  Sunny

85°/59°  

Fri

Mar 16  Sunny

87°/58°  

Sat

Mar 17  Sunny

83°/55°  

Sun

Mar 18  Sunny

80°/54°  

Mon

Mar 19  Sunny

78°/50°  

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Don

Glad to hear you were spared the worst.  Any damage to Rancho Santa Ana botanical?

90's appear likely for several days.  Felt it warming thru the night.  Up to 66F around 4:00AM from 61F @ midnight.  Humidity going south  :o  [under 20%] Great growing weather so long as we irrigate big time  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Thanks Happ,

I got away without losses, well I take that back my little coconut experiment failed but expected it .  I did have my share of damage, royals lost all there fronds but a new one is opening on one and the other is showing growth on the new spear as well, and my C hookeri suffered 90% leaf burn but it's spear never stopped growth and is speeding up noticeabley with this weather.  Your right though that this low moisture means high water bills again but.

I'm Not sure how Rancho Santa Ana fared, but I'd like to find out, I'll post what I find out.  I haven't even been back to the Huntington since the freeze but plan to in the next week or so and see how their faring over their.  From some of the pics that were posted, it looks like they did lose some over by the conservatory.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Don

Royals seem to be very forgiving & appear to hold up better than majesty/veitchia/etc

Keep cool.   :cool:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

We got 4.25 inches of rain yesterday, with a lot more predicted for the next 2 days.  Extremely warm humid air with high dew points for S. TX.  Feels like FL outside.

Really starting to warm up now.... 62f today up to 70f tomorrow... Nights mid - high 40's to around 50f.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

We're at 76F right now!  Weather.com is predicting highs at or near 80 for the next couple days.  Lows in the 50's.  Should be great.

Saturday is the only hickup I see in the forcast.  Predicted high is only 58F with a low of 35F.  That will probably feel pretty cold after this warm spell.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

(syersj @ Mar. 12 2007,21:36)

We got 4.25 inches of rain yesterday, with a lot more predicted for the next 2 days.  Extremely warm humid air with high dew points for S. TX.  Feels like FL outside.

Feels like FL here too, what gives? ...Wait. It IS Florida.  :P  But, seriously, it's been gorgeous lately. Getting a nice pre-summer tan. :)

Hi,

For here it looks also spring has started this week, last weekend we have got a lot of sun an very good tempeture's but yesterday was good almost 18C/64.4F Normal average for the day is 8C/46.4F so a lot above average, with a lot of sun only because in the night we have clear sky's the tempeture drop a lot in the night to 2-5C/35.5-41F

After the next weekend maybe there come a cold front to us, with cold weather. Weather below average, but the cold systems are trying this so long but alway a warm depression widn and give us south winds, that is from May 2006 sooo i hope this warm optoin wins again!

This the are expect for the next couple day's

Normal Average

Daytime: 8C/46.4F

Nighttime: 35.6F

Wednesday 14-03

Daytime: 13C/55.4F

Nighttime: 3C/37.4F

Sunny

Thursday 15-03

Daytime: 15C/59F

Nighttime: 2C/35.6F

Sunny

Friday 16-03

Nighttime: 5C/41F

Sunny

Saturday 17-03

Sunny

Sunday 18-03

Daytime: 15C/59F

Sunny

And after that we will see, i hope the warm weather wins :D

Robbin

Southwest

YEAHY!!!.... Lets keep that cold air in Canada where it belongs...

and for you guys in Europe, keep it in Russia

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

We've had a couple of warmer days and cooler nights also, although fortunately warmer than forecast at night.  Yesterday we were forecast a night time minimum of 2°C/36°, but it bottomed out at 5°C/41°F.  Last night it was supposed to go down to 0°C/32°F, but it's currently 3°C/37°F and I doubt it will go any lower.  That said, weather.com are sticking to their guns and trying to tell me that it is 0°C here at the moment.

Surprisingly warm in my polytunnel, bearing in mind the outside temperature, it's currently 32°C/90°F.  What a difference no wind makes.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I have given up worrying about palms and low temps and that aint just due to mint juleps and happy pills.( (For the record and if any of youse guys are buying: I prefer my julep with Southern Comfort rather than Bourbon).)

Here I knew I had a great microclimate before I moved in which is why I bought my house.

Its probably better than even I realised.

My Queen, about 18', is laughing  its socks off as it reaches for the sky (with a little help from big N) and I reckon I can complete the Family with a King and a Royal.

Then I have to stop I suppose as my housekeeper (darling wife) has seen my credit card bills!

Shucks: it MY money I spend and not Hers nor is it Joint Account but you cant argue with wives.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Shucks: it MY money I spend and not Hers nor is it Joint Account but you cant argue with wives

Well, you can argue... but even when you're Right, you're wrong :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

as the wife says , "maybe you'd like to sleep with that queen ................................ palm.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

as the wife says , "maybe you'd like to sleep with that queen ................................ palm.

at least the palm doesn't complain....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

here we go again...   After a pretty decent week of relatively warm temperatures, that F@#$ing Winter-Machine is on it's way back to the northeast with its cold, wind, and snow .... :( :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

While driving around town today I noticed on one of the street side temperature signs that it was 37 degrees C.  That was around 3 pm.  I guess maybe our winter is starting to transition into summer.  In spite of this the rain has been pretty heavy and constant this month.  March is normally the month with the highest percipitation here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Mar. 16 2007,17:03)

In spite of this the rain has been pretty heavy and constant this month.

What I wouldn't give for a "heavy & constant" rain right now. Things are crispy dry here, although I did get a smidgen of rain yesterday afternoon, and we still have April to get through, which is typically very dry for us.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

It's also been a lot drier here this month.  We do have showers forecast for some days, but they have been forecast quite frequently up to now and I've not seen any yet.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Hi,

Well .... next week would be colder then last week, but the give no frost for here ... only for monday some hailshowers... but after that i looks like tempeture goes up, up ... again :D

Now sun is shining and is more then 50F/10C :)

Robbin

Southwest

A chilly 47.3F at my house this AM.  I heard on the TV that some inland areas (like Lakeland I believe) set record lows for this date.

Larry 

A chilly 47.3F at my house this AM.  I heard on the TV that some inland areas (like Lakeland I believe) set record lows for this date.

Wow, Larry... you got that cold down there this late.... I'm surprised.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Well it was 38.1 F  ( no frost thankfully)at my moms in Poinciana,just south of Kissimmee. The NWS point forecast had her forecast for 43 F by the way. I thought you guys buried winter several times at least a month ago! ???

Here on the east coast in Titusville 45.6 F!

I guess Febuary and March are the NEW winter for central Florida, has been the last 2 years!  Especially in conjuntion with Ray's new METEO map! :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Sun is hinign today, but it feels a lot colder, because winds is blowing very hard ...  :P

Southwest

(BobbyinNY @ Mar. 18 2007,09:36)

Wow, Larry... you got that cold down there this late.... I'm surprised.

The record low for this date is 41F!

Larry 

I hit 52.2F this morning for our low. We got that Lake O. heat island effect big time.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Mar. 18 2007,20:42)

I hit 52.2F this morning for our low. We got that Lake O. heat island effect big time.

Roger

No such water effects over here this AM Roger as the winds were out of the NE all night.

But, even when this happens Ive noted that the stations nearer to the water than me still run warmer as the Gulf still provides some benefit (apparently due to the atmosphere getting "mixed up").  But, the benefit is greatly reduced over what happens when the winds are NW.

The stations nearer the water this AM only ran about 2F warmer than my yard, while on most other cool/cold nights with no wind the difference is more like 5-6F.

That rats in St. Petersburg only dropped to 55F this AM.

Larry 

So far this march is so nice to me and my palms. We have hit 70 every day for quite some time. We have even hit 80 for 3 days out of this month. It looks like a cool down is headed this way. And finally some rain on monday! :)

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science