IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Recent socal weather...

STEVE IN SO CAL

This  current weather pattern (lows in the 30s, highs in the upper 50s low 60's, cold rain events stacked up 5 days apart) is exactly what I was talking about a few weeks ago. If this persists,as it did last spring, kiss your damaged-but-might-make-it palms good bye.  :angry:

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

:angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm only getting 0.1-0.2" of rain every time these weekly showers hit. It's enough for me to keep the sprinklers turned off, but I'm not sure we can expect the weather to be much more cooperative in February.

It did hit 37f and 36f over the weekend which was a bummer. I think I pretty much can tell what is and isn't going to make it in my yard by now. It seems like it would take a real freeze to finish off my damaged kentias, and it looks like we're past those kind of lows here.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I pulled spears out of four 15 gal Rav Glaucas today that I thought were for sure gonna be OK.

I have several palms that looked fine after the freeze, and in just the last 2 weeks of pretty okay weather have gone totally brown. That includes 2 Caryota urens, a Chamadorea tepijilote that was on my front porch with overhead protection, and a C cataractum that was next to my house. I was considering their condition a delayed response to the January freeze.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

almost anything that starts with the letter "C",eh?

that goes along with my theory that we can't grow anything in socal that begins with the letter "I". :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Hey!

I'd like to believe I can grow many "Interesting Palms" ...   :D:P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

All of the roof tops in my neighborhood have frost on them this morning :angry:  When is this maddness going to stop? :(

Plant a palm....

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 01 2007,09:13)

Hey!

I'd like to believe I can grow many "Interesting Palms" ...   :D:P

Yes...I'm growing some in my "Igloo"

I am in Sacaramento and was greeted with a car coated with ice this AM.  It was beyond frost as this stuff was thick.

However, it couldnt have gotten too terribly cold out here this winter as just down the street from where I am working is an Orange tree loaded with unblemished fruit!  It would not look out of place in a FL yard.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I was down to the mid 30's again this morning, no frost though, at least at 7:00am.  I'm not scared of 30's anymore.  It's the 20's that bug!  This is the time that your good drainage comes into play.  As long as your soil can drain and dry out then the prolonged cool temps aren't gonna rot roots.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm with Matty I almost laugh at 36 not that I like it but I don't  bring everything now. I think after tonite the weather really looks good for the next ten days. Hopefully some of the palms will start recovering.

San Marcos CA

My favorite crazy local weather forecaster said the other night  that his "Supercomputer" shows a possibility of no more SD rain for many months...  ???

Bill,

Just check out the 'Rainfall for 2007' thread if you forgot what the stuff looks like! :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Oh no worries Bo. We just picked up about 1-2 iches over the last week or so!  We got reaquainted!  :D