IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Autumn 2014

NApalm

Another 52mm over the last 24 hours, that gives me just over 80mm for the week so far. Tank is full and ground is very wet!! The rain appears to have moved offshore for now?

Gotta say this rain has been great! 202mm overnight and 256mm for the last four days...garden won't need watering for a while now.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

130mm here and another full water tank. Was getting worried I was going to have an empty tank bfore the start of winter. Thank the heavens!

Regards Neil

Had a few mm of rain. The sun barely comes out and the moisture doesn't really evaporate. Like living in a cloud really. Much cooler than Perth. It blew a gale on the weekend as a low passed close to the coast. The water tank has stayed half full all summer which is good as we don't have mains water here.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this cyclone looks pretty mean...those wild populations of Wodyetia may get smashed...and further south all of the wet tropics could be in for some serious destruction if it stays coastal.

A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal areas from Lockhart River to
Innisfail, and extending inland to areas including Kalinga, Laura, Palmerville,
Mareeba and Chillagoe.

A Cyclone WATCH is current for coastal areas from Innisfail to Cardwell, and
extending to adjacent inland areas.

At 7:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita, Category 5, was estimated to be
345 kilometres north northeast of Cooktown and
285 kilometres northeast of Cape Melville, and
moving west southwest at 15 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE ITA, CATEGORY 5, is expected to move in a general
southwest direction towards the far north Queensland coast tonight and into
Friday, while possibly intensifying further.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ita means business I reckon. Lakefield NP will probably expand to the point that Cape York may become an island separated from the mainland. Hopefully Cape Melville and the foxtails won't be destroyed. Hopefully no one will be hurt either.

Over here on SW coast the weather has been much less savage. We've been getting mist in the early morning and around 30C in the day the last couple of days. Still no rain. Very dry even down here. We need the rain but that will mean the end to the warmth. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tropical Cyclone ITA rocked my house just a few hours ago..........it came across the Whitsundays as a Cat 1 storm. I don't envisage that there is too much damage out there but will check in the morning. The eye passed right over the top of my place........Hope she is the last for the season. Have had 2 direct hits this year and one near miss. Bring on the dry season I say.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Glad you're OK Andrew. Ita looked like a monster at first. It could have gone really bad if it kept it's strength up when you look at the path it took.

Autumn thus far has been a wonderful highlight for the palm gardens here in Qld.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tyrone, I am glad that she visited here only as a Cat 1.........The ground is so sodden that if she was Cat 3 or higher there would have been major devastation. As it was trees in the area that I didn't think would come down have and this was due to the waterlogged soil.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Ex-Ita is now pounding NZ with winds to 140 kph and rainfalls of 150 mm over 24 hours, mainly over the North Island.

High pressure zone sitting over us at the moment. Clear skies at night. Brrrrrrrrr.

Tropical Cyclone Jack has just pegged out off the WA coast but another one is forming in the northern Arafura Sea above us. If it does fully develop (maybe by weekend or early next week) will be called Kate and that might be the last for the season now.

Perfect palmy weather for us in SEQ recently as Wal has pointed out!! Most days hover around 30c with mins around 18c. These recent temps are fairly unseasonal for April / May but it's good news!!

Very good rain falling at my place right now also and the radar shows quite a lot more on the way, bring it on!

First gloomy, rainy morning today, since last July...it was actually quite good for a change! And the rain is GREAT for the garden!

Daryl

Certainly was great to see, they said on News tonight, April avg is 70mm for Brisbane so far we have received 13.8, wouldn't mind abit more.

Good steady rain here this morning! A trip to the zoo has been canceled but ill take the rain instead

Yes, nice rain but lookout this weekend and early next week. She's gonna be chilly, especially up here on the downs.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Chilly ????...........Who's chilly :winkie:

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

First 'freeze' of the season coming through now. Got down to 21.3 this morning, RH in the low 70's. Even Darwin dropped to 23.2 with similar RH.

Looking to the east, Cairns was down to 14.6 with RH in the high 70's. And further down the coast the story's even more dire. Townsville down to 12.4 and Mackay 8.6. Doesn't bode well for the days to come.

Had 20mm of rain this week. Going to be pounded Wed night to Thursday as the first big cold front busts through the west coast. It's cold here, but without the dry cold Perth can get when the sky clears at night. The trouble is the sun doesn't come out much anymore in the day. :( Nights are in the mid teens with the day a few degrees warmer. Auckland weather.

Too cold for my liking here...last 2 mornings have been down to 9C here. Warming up again though...phew! One hell of a cold front for this time of year!

Too cold for my liking here...last 2 mornings have been down to 9C here. Warming up again though...phew! One hell of a cold front for this time of year!

I wish I could say the same! It was 4C here on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Its a bit warmer now though - probably only get down the 9C - 10C tonight.

8.8C this morning with 100% RH. Once the sun comes out and the fog lifts it looks like it will be a beautiful 21-23C day.

Haven't been down to 4C yet but I expect it will eventually. I don't expect it to get much lower than that here though, but this winter will be my first so will have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice temps here lately...at least that weird cold snap only lasted a couple of days. 15-25C most days here and we even got 24mm of rain last night to water the garden!

Daryl

That first freeze was short duration here as well, dropped from minimums of 24 to 17 in 3 days. Then went back up as fast. Maximums stayed from the low to mid 30s. On the coast was better, from 25 minimum down to 20 in the same time then back up. Would be nice like that through the rest of winter, but it's a while off before it really warms up. Some places got up to 76 mm rain last night, my place zilch. Not bad for a dry season for those that got it.

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne is having a very mild May - it was 11°C overnight, and is 20°C now. One cold night a couple of weeks back (had to put my sensitive stuff into the shed) but I reckon I have got an extra month growth out of the autumn - good news!

I know it has to end shortly, just hope Spring gets off to a warm start.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

There's not the same cold dry surges coming up from Antarctica. Last year there seemed to be a lot more. I don't mind it staying like this for the rest of the winter. We've only had the one surge so far which wasn't too bad. Only problem is that sort of situation means drought over the southern and eastern part of the continent. We're drought throughout the winter anyway.

Autumn is technically coming to a end in a couple of days. It has been the warmest and most pleasant autumn I can recall. Beautiful days of around 27 c in Brissy, can't complain about that!!!!

One would think it would have to start getting cooler very soon but one can always hope it doesn't!!

Last day of autumn today, Brisbane has maintained an unusually warm season but it's been dry. It will be interesting to see what winter will bring?

Winter solstice is approaching which is always good IMO!!

It's got cold overnight here in Melbourne the last couple of days. Left my Aiphanes horrida out which was slack. Hopefully it will be ok.

I'm with you on the solstice Ben. Always google to get it behind us.

Climatic Zone: Vile..