IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The rapidly disappearing ice

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

Every single article is about politics, not science, makes you wonder why.

Not me - you would have to be an involved climatologist yourself to recognize any solid evidence that hasn't been tainted by some political agenda or government agency.

For the most part, this issue has been masquerading as a scientific argument for some time now. It was hijacked by the politicians quite a while ago.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Lets see, global warming is likely to cause a lot of deaths because of crop failures

I'm with Amazon Don on this one. I have heard the idea proposed that a gradual warming would shift the "sweet spot" for the massive grain production now possible in the bread basket of the United States (the 'wheat belt,' 'corn belt,' etc) further north to larger areas in central Canada and open up vastly more area in the Soviet Union for this type of agriculture.

I don't think you probably do not hear the Russians being anti global warming.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The growing extent of Antarctic Sea Ice during the souther hemisphere winter is a direct result of global warming, I will briefly explain why.

The reason that sea-ice only forms at the poles is because you need to reduce the temperature well below freezing to counter the effect of the salt water otherwise we'd have surface ice over more of the oceans. The lower the salt content in the water the "warmer" temperature the ice will freeze at (max 0C or 32F).

Rapid melting of both continental and old sea-ice in and around Antarctica during the southern hemisphere summers is releasing more fresh water to the surrounding ocean surface. This fresh water reduces the salt, or just floats on the surface due to the halocline. When winter returns to the southern hemisphere this fresher water freezes much easier and much faster than the regular sea water.

The result is a much wider extent to the surface sea-ice as a direct result of the increased melting.

Ta-Da! (I've explained this before in the other thread)

Additionally, the reason we do not see this sort of rapid spreading of additional sea-ice during the northen hemisphere winter is because there is not a significant source of fresh continental meltwater. Greenland is also melting, but much of its outflow is directed to the northern Atlantic rather than the north polar sea.

Edited by Funkthulhu

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Yeah, one Russian scientist has the little ice age theory, I posted a thread about that. A lone voice in the wilderness that gets amplified by bloggers desperate for any news suggesti g global warming is a hoax.

Every single article is about politics, not science, makes you wonder why.

Not me - you would have to be an involved climatologist yourself to recognize any solid evidence that hasn't been tainted by some political agenda or government agency.

For the most part, this issue has been masquerading as a scientific argument for some time now. It was hijacked by the politicians quite a while ago.

Yep, this is what bothers me most, but they treat is as one big impending deathly disaster similar to a tornado, and then theirs the issue of blaming everything on Global warming, worse things have happened in the past than now, if anything the climate is more moderate in recent decades.

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

This fresh water reduces the salt, or just floats on the surface due to the halocline.

While understanding why haloclines are an important phenomenon in static environments like lakes or in ground water, I question as to the extent it can persist in an environment that has the two differing salinities near the surface and in the constant vigorous mixing of ocean currents, along with huge waves, and high winds at times.

The thin thermocline in the Gulf of Mexico is destroyed after the passing of hurricanes - and I would suggest a similar result would occur during the many storms and generally fairly windy and high ocean swell environment.

Edit: After a little research connected to my thoughts - note that the pycnocline (the combination of the interaction between thermocline and halocline), and even a mixed layer, is nearly absent at the poles. In fact, it appears as if the water column is fairly uniform. An interesting article here http://oceanmotion.org/html/background/ocean-vertical-structure.htm

post-11-0-67845100-1393282093_thumb.png

Kona, on The Big Island

Here is what Nasa has to say about Antarctic ice.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/20100108_Is_Antarctica_Melting.html

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I wish another "global warming" thread wasn't made. Scientists who challenge global warming often receive death threats, etc so there are not a lot of them brave enough. After 9/11 how can you trust the government anyway?

OK with all that said, I believe the Earth is alive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis. There have been times in the past when the Earth was able to regulate when it really shouldn't have been able to. It will happen again. Nuclear technology is a threat to the entire planet. 95% of the sea stars have died in some areas of the North Pacific. (Fukushima anyone?)

Oh, and I will say neat video. I remember being up in Alaska and watching the glaciers crash into the sea, amazing stuff.

Antarctica records unofficial coldest temperature ever July 31, 2013

A reading of 135.8 degrees below zero was measured in Antarctica

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/12/10/antarctica-cold-record/3950019/

New Record for Coldest Place on Earth, in Antarctica

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131210-coldest-place-on-earth-antarctica-science/

Plenty more where that came from, air temp has set new record since records have been kept.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/12/10/antarctica-cold-record/3950019/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131210-coldest-place-on-earth-antarctica-science/

Plenty more where that came from, air temp has set new record since records have been kept.

Thanks for the information. The artcile from USA Today mentions a place I know well, Rogers Pass, Montana. There is a sign at the spot where it hit - 70 F. It is on the highway betwween Great Falls and Missoula.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Just because we've got record lows, record ice, etc doesn't mean it is happening. Stay in tune with the official government channels for your programming.

Just heard this was one of the coldest winters in the USA in over 50 yrs. What type of news do you think we would be hearing if this was one of the warmest in 50 years? Or if this summer were to be the hottest in 50 years?

Kona, on The Big Island

Just because we've got record lows, record ice, etc doesn't mean it is happening. Stay in tune with the official government channels for your programming.

That is just the weather. Kind of like looking a parking lot full of muddy cars after a rain and determining that people don't wash their cars as much as they used to in previous generations.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Just heard this was one of the coldest winters in the USA in over 50 yrs. What type of news do you think we would be hearing if this was one of the warmest in 50 years? Or if this summer were to be the hottest in 50 years?

Record lows in the US, record highs almost everywhere else. The US isn't the whole world, no matter how much we think we are.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Read the article carefully. They found a new coldest spot, not a new coldest temp in a spot they've measured before. It'd be like if the oceans were getting shallower and someone found a trench deeper than challenger deep.

Keith 

Please see the Southern Hemisphere Summer thread for all your hot weather reporting needs. . .

Please note that the entire US (including all the areas not having record lows/snowfall) covers less than 2% of the planet surface.

Please see the Southern Hemisphere Summer thread for all your hot weather reporting needs. . .

Please note that the entire US (including all the areas not having record lows/snowfall) covers less than 2% of the planet surface.

Note that my comments were not directed at the validity of any theories - Just how the year to year (and even day to day) weather and storms are handled in the media.

That is, how I perceive that record hot weather immediately prompts mention of global warming, but not a mention of warming theories when there is record cold and snowfall - unless you count the occasional "the warmer it gets, the more it snows" attempted explanations.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Note that my comments were not directed at the validity of any theories - Just how the year to year (and even day to day) weather and storms are handled in the media.

That is, how I perceive that record hot weather immediately prompts mention of global warming, but not a mention of warming theories when there is record cold and snowfall - unless you count the occasional "the warmer it gets, the more it snows" attempted explanations.

Note though, that the way that global warming is handled by the media is entirely different from the way it's handled in the scientific community.

Keith 

Note though, that the way that global warming is handled by the media is entirely different from the way it's handled in the scientific community.

Please elaborate, just a little.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Among scientists, at least those that I talk to on a daily basis, you don't hear much about specific weather really meaning anything. You hear about averages a lot though, because anyone trained to think scientifically knows that you need many many data points, not just one winter in one area, to make any real conclusions. Though the warmer averages can of course cause aberrant data points, it's bad practice to use those aberrant data points to support the idea of global warming, and you rarely will see scientists doing that. The media is a different story completely though.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Among scientists, at least those that I talk to on a daily basis, you don't hear much about specific weather really meaning anything. You hear about averages a lot though, because anyone trained to think scientifically knows that you need many many data points, not just one winter in one area, to make any real conclusions. Though the warmer averages can of course cause aberrant data points, it's bad practice to use those aberrant data points to support the idea of global warming, and you rarely will see scientists doing that. The media is a different story completely though.

Thank you.

Do you take issue with the majority of the Scientists observation that the globe is warming thanks to human activity or do you take issue with how the press covers the weather events and links them to global warming? I am surprised that you didn't pick up on the fact that the scientific community seems to concur that the more intense than normal blocking pattern in the jet stream is in fact due to global warming. It was all over the news. It's basic physics, put more energy into the system, and you're gonna get wilder fluctuations, more extreme heat, more extreme cold, more powerful storms and longer droughts. All these are linked to stronger blocking patterns that stall the jet stream and keep dry and wet pockets in the same place.

I have noted that many scientific conclusions seem to coincide a great deal with where the paycheck comes from.

Do you take issue with the majority of the Scientists observation that the globe is warming thanks to human activity or do you take issue with how the press covers the weather events and links them to global warming?

I take issue with what I perceive as the public, the press, the politicians, and even many of the "scientists" coming down on either of two sides that are unmistakably partisan and very clearly defined.

Tell me what party you generally vote for and I can almost surely tell you what think about global warming. But scientific conclusions should have no correlation to party affiliation.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

It is also good to remember that the southern hemisphere thread is exclusively Australia, except for a few posts that I put up. And my posts are not really to relevant anyway as I am in the southern hemisphere equatorial winter, which is really the summer. Since our coolest part of the year is the summer which is the rainy season. So, everyone calls it winter here. Now for southern Brazil it has been hot, but I do not think it has been a record breaker. But, then again the norm in Brazil is to be hot anyway.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Do you take issue with the majority of the Scientists observation that the globe is warming thanks to human activity or do you take issue with how the press covers the weather events and links them to global warming? I am surprised that you didn't pick up on the fact that the scientific community seems to concur that the more intense than normal blocking pattern in the jet stream is in fact due to global warming. It was all over the news. It's basic physics, put more energy into the system, and you're gonna get wilder fluctuations, more extreme heat, more extreme cold, more powerful storms and longer droughts. All these are linked to stronger blocking patterns that stall the jet stream and keep dry and wet pockets in the same place.

Axel,

I do not notice that the majority of scientists are saying that the Earth is warming due to man made activity. A lot of them do say that man made activities are contributing to faster warming. And, the best that anyone can come up with is a model. As we do not yet have the ability to accurately predict the future. Well, except for some psychics maybe. And, that is more faith than anything. The one thing is very proven though. A colder world will have a lot more droughts. As the ice takes a lot of moisture from the air many parts of the world will be a lot drier as well as colder.

What is true that us, Homo Sapiens are products of the ice ages. Since our species came on the worldly stage about 200,000 years ago. Ice has been an important factor as our species has evolved. And, surely has an impact on who we are today. Maybe all of the fear generated by the global warming alarmists is a desire to get back to more familiar human environments.

neanderpic.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I have noted that many scientific conclusions seem to coincide a great deal with where the paycheck comes from.

There's a lot more money flowing in through fossil fuels than anything renewable provides.

Keith 

There's a lot more money flowing in through fossil fuels than anything renewable provides.

There's tons of money and power to grab from global warming. Look at how much of our lives they can control by calling co2 a pollutant. They can control the air we breath, the homes we own, the cars we drive, the fuel we use, the jobs we have, and on and on. Then toss in all the taxes,fees and fines that go along with it. It's the easiest way to fool us into doing and paying anything the want and because they label it as "saving the planet" we will hand over our money and freedoms with a smile. The ipcc says that the lack of global warming in the last 15 year is because "global warming is hiding in the deep Pacific Ocean". Now how can you not laugh at that? Is global warming some Godzilla like sea monster now?

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

There's tons of money and power to grab from global warming. Look at how much of our lives they can control by calling co2 a pollutant. They can control the air we breath, the homes we own, the cars we drive, the fuel we use, the jobs we have, and on and on. Then toss in all the taxes,fees and fines that go along with it. It's the easiest way to fool us into doing and paying anything the want and because they label it as "saving the planet" we will hand over our money and freedoms with a smile. The ipcc says that the lack of global warming in the last 15 year is because "global warming is hiding in the deep Pacific Ocean". Now how can you not laugh at that? Is global warming some Godzilla like sea monster now?

Oh so gw is a world-wide conspiracy that has managed to fool nearly everyone in the world who is most educated in the subject so that Americans can be taxed by a few more pennies on the dollar. Got it.

Keith 

Oh so gw is a world-wide conspiracy that has managed to fool nearly everyone in the world who is most educated in the subject so that Americans can be taxed by a few more pennies on the dollar. Got it.

yeah, pretty much. . .

yeah, pretty much. . .

Oh man, I am biting my tongue so hard right now it hurts!

Now to Dean's comment, yes, there are a handful of scientists that will sell out, but to assume that the majority of them do is something that is a little extreme, and it's actually rather insulting, it's not a fair criticism. I have many friends who are scientists, they didn't sell out. Not to mention I was educated as one, I got a PhD in Physics from Caltech, and last I checked scientists there didn't sell out. I know how the publish or perish system works, but it's not that broken that you can literally buy it out. Funny thing, there is only one political party that likes to throw all scientists under the bus, I wonder why?

Now to Dean's comment, yes, there are a handful of scientists that will sell out, but to assume that the majority of them do is something that is a little extreme, and it's actually rather insulting, it's not a fair criticism.

To be gainfully employed by a large organization, corporation, or government dept. of any kind - and to be totally dependent on them for the well being of your family, and your retirement is a very coercive incentive to go with the flow - rather than lean against any existing "company policy" and throw your life into chaos.

To not recognize that this is a powerful aspect of human nature, both consciously and sub-consciously, is to miss a major part of how public, corporate, and yes, even university policy is formulated - but more importantly - influenced.

Kona, on The Big Island

Now to Dean's comment, yes, there are a handful of scientists that will sell out, but to assume that the majority of them do is something that is a little extreme, and it's actually rather insulting, it's not a fair criticism.

To be gainfully employed by a large organization, corporation, or government dept. of any kind - and to be totally dependent on them for the well being of your family, and your retirement is a very coercive incentive to go with the flow - rather than lean against any existing "company policy" and throw your life into chaos.

To not recognize that this is a powerful aspect of human nature, both consciously and sub-consciously, is to miss a major part of how public, corporate, and yes, even university policy is formulated - but more importantly - influenced.

You have not worked as a Scientist. Working in science is not the same thing as dealing with corporate politics. There are academic politics, but they do not dictate what your research should reveal.

There is a peer review process in Science and the need to have results confirmed by others.

FYI, that's why professors have tenure, they can't just be fired because their research produces results that the school administration or funding agency doesn't like. They're not going to fear for their livelihood like you do in a corporation.

Tenure or not, grants are key to research funding, success, respect and longevity in the game. It is never as direct as people want to imagine, and of course there are exceptions, but most grants are funded by someone with a stake one direction or the other.

Tenure or not, grants are key to research funding, success, respect and longevity in the game. It is never as direct as people want to imagine, and of course there are exceptions, but most grants are funded by someone with a stake one direction or the other.

I did research on a grant and came up with negative results, it's not what DARPA wanted to see, but it's what we measured. Never ever was I ever threatened or told to change my results. All you people who've never ever done any research should really think twice before just believing all this nonsense coming from the the faction that is trying to discredit science. The scientific system is designed to be objective. It's not perfect, but it's certainly not as flawed as a certain people would like you to believe.

I did research on a grant and came up with negative results, it's not what DARPA wanted to see, but it's what we measured. Never ever was I ever threatened or told to change my results.

Of course they didn't threaten you or ask you to change. Did they line up a bunch of grants for you to disprove next?

I did research on a grant and came up with negative results, it's not what DARPA wanted to see, but it's what we measured. Never ever was I ever threatened or told to change my results.

Of course they didn't threaten you or ask you to change. Did they line up a bunch of grants for you to disprove next?

They sure did, just because we got a negative result doesn't mean we couldn't get funding anymore. The point of doing research is to discover truth, not validate someone's doctrine or pipe dream. Research grants are awarded not on the merit of results being pro or con a specific agenda, they're awarded based on the quality of work being done.