IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold-hardy landscaping ideas/examples?

jfrye01@live.com

Hello all:)) I searched the forums, but haven't found any real examples of how to landscape with cold hardy palms...I am looking for a way to landscape in zone 6B/7A using my windmills, Sabal minors and a Pindo or two...if anyone has any ideas or photos, please share them. Thanks!! :)

Edited by jfrye01@live.com

El_Dorado.gif

Hello all:)) I searched the forums, but haven't found any real examples of how to landscape with cold hardy palms...I am looking for a way to landscape in zone 6B/7A using my windmills, Sabal minors and a Pindo or two...if anyone has any ideas or photos, please share them. Thanks!! :)

I mixed my palms with cold hardy xerophytes. You can see them here. (Scroll all the way down to see the progress) Too bad that the Windmills won't have any leaves... if they do survive after sub-zero F temperatures!

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

I'm quite a bit warmer than you but have found during our recent December subfreezing weather that the morning sun during the winter can make a big difference. This isn't a palm related example, but my grevillea coastal gem plants that get morning sun came thru the freeze great and in fact are pink and blooming right now. The same plant in our front bed that sits in the shadows of the house in the a.m. are full of dead material although this plant does come back from below ground which I am starting to see occur. Still BIG difference. Also the grass in our backyard is still green (gets morning sun) and the front yard grass is yellowish (sits in the morning shadow of the house).

Take account of your wind direction if you have a general pattern like we do. If you are going to build freeze protection structures, you will need to leave room for them to be set up (and not crush other plants you care about that might be in the path). Do you have access to electrical for heating sources? Really suggest using the heat of your house. Sometimes you can arrange things so you have a wind barrier but be careful of creating a cold area in the process.

Nice palm bed Turtile.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Thanks for the replies! Nice pics!! And yes, I do have electrical access...For winter protection, I am planning to build a small temporary greenhouse (built from PVC pipe and plastic sheets) around each palm, and place C9 lights inside on a thermostat of some sort.

El_Dorado.gif

Take a look at wxman's post

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil