IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CURRENT COOLDOWN

gsytch

Now they are calling for low 30's....yes, at least it keeps edging up..It is very pleasant right now outside, sunny and in the 60's. Hard to believe it is going to drop so quickly tonight. Winds don't appear to be that strong either. Hope this turns out to be a non-event.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Lows to be in the 40s the rest of the week. Wed. night the coldest at 39/40 per Weather.com/Wunderground. I'm getting tired of this long stretch of below normal temps but glad we've dodged a true Arctic blast. Chances of that fall the later in Jan. we go.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Now they are calling for low 30's....yes, at least it keeps edging up..It is very pleasant right now outside, sunny and in the 60's. Hard to believe it is going to drop so quickly tonight. Winds don't appear to be that strong either. Hope this turns out to be a non-event.

Still saying 29,39,29,31 here. Not pleasant but survivable. Would really be no big deal if there was not so much damage out there already from the biggie.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Still saying 29,39,29,31 here. Not pleasant but survivable. Would really be no big deal if there was not so much damage out there already from the biggie. I see several certain spear pulls coming. Next rain, I am gonna hit things with some nitrogen to jump start things growing out of this.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

One local station has revised our highs down to the upper 30's for Friday, and another station is saying a high in the low 40's for Friday. The normal high is 67F! I am so sick of this cold. At least they are not predicting us to get down to freezing. Mid 30's is the lowest they are predicting, which means where I live, probably no lower that 38F - 40F, but still very cold. I hope it's not going to be as bad as they say. My coconuts and other tropicals were just starting to recover with a week of 70F+ weather that we've had this past week.

This is nothing unusual for here, except the consistently cooler than average temperatures for several weeks. I do not believe we have had such an extended cool period since early 2010 (the only similarity between the events being the length of lower temps) All the plants look fine. The only reason I can grow a yard full of tropical plants here long term this far north long term is my proximity to the city of Orlando. Everywhere rural and inland, down to at least Lake Okeechobee, has had a freeze recently. Our lowest has been 34F, way up here. I am not wishing for the heat, it will arrive soon, whether I want it or not. I guess I will be comfortable for a few more weeks (I hope).

Now they are predicting a chance of sleet and freezing rain for areas just an hour north of Corpus Christi on Friday morning. We had some sleet and light snow on the west side of town just a couple of weeks ago. Frozen precipitation this far south is rare, but not unheard of.

Noaa pinpoint forecast for SE Houston.

Thursday Night: Rain likely before midnight, then rain, freezing rain, and sleet likely. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Blustery, with a northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Sounds brutal with the high winds. We have already had a 27 this season.

Ed in Houston

Here in Tampa Bay, they have downgraded just about all forecasts, so the current cold snap will last into Saturday. Freeze warnings are out all the way to the Everglades, with the exception of right along the coasts. For my yard, depending on who you believe, it will be either 28F or 35F as the low? I'm erring on caution and covering sensitive stuff. Then, it appears like ANOTHER cold snap for next week? Did the NAO go big time negative? They were talking about a zonal flow setting up and warming the south some? January has certainly been a chiller. :asleep:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

If this forecast holds it will be the second time that "The Weather Channel" has been more accurate than "NOAA Pinpoint Forecast."

Here in Tampa Bay, they have downgraded just about all forecasts, so the current cold snap will last into Saturday. Freeze warnings are out all the way to the Everglades, with the exception of right along the coasts. For my yard, depending on who you believe, it will be either 28F or 35F as the low? I'm erring on caution and covering sensitive stuff. Then, it appears like ANOTHER cold snap for next week? Did the NAO go big time negative? They were talking about a zonal flow setting up and warming the south some? January has certainly been a chiller. :asleep:

Weatherunderground is currently calling for 27 in 34683! This could be fun :-)

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Weather.com says 39F tonight, 42F tomorrow night & 38F Friday night. Getting tired of this.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Weatherunderground 54/35°F, 61/38°F, 53/31°F for Lockhart.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

tonight, tomorrow night and Thur. night

36 ....27....34 .....10 miles to the west

37...29....36......10 miles to the east

Will be keeping everything tarped around the pool and front beds....everything else is having to fend for itself.

tonight, tomorrow night and Thur. night

36 ....27....34 .....10 miles to the west

37...29....36......10 miles to the east

Will be keeping everything tarped around the pool and front beds....everything else is having to fend for itself.

That is some cold beaches. Need to light a big fire.

Currently 48F and dropping. Forecast calling for 38F tonight. Did not make it past 56 this afternoon. Looks like tomorrow night may be just as cold, and perhaps Sat. morning as well. Also heard about another plunge about mid week, next week. Looking at everything, hoping that forecast is a bust. Also crossing my fingers that Houston escapes the possible Snow/Freezing stuff that might occur there next week. After that, a nice string of 70s shows back up in the forecast starting about a week from tomorrow or Friday, at least according to the extended forecast on Accuweather.

Further out, flip flopping continues with the suggested pattern change after the 1st. With the wild swings I've seen over the last 3 days on the models, I get a hint that next month could be a stormy, wild ride. Could this mean an active start to the severe weather season for Florida and the Southeast? Regardless, looks like a very interesting pattern ahead as this persistent cold trough starts to get dislodged.

If you didn't see it.. Was in the 40's up in Alaska today.

-Nathan-

Now showing 26 for a low on Tuesday morning. This ain't pretty for sure.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/arctic-cold-finish-january-20140117

Tonight
Jan 22 Mostly Cloudy 38° 10 % Thu
Jan 23 Mostly Cloudy 53°/27° 10 % Fri
Jan 24 AM Showers 38°/29° 30 % Sat
Jan 25 Partly Cloudy 59°/36° 0 % Sun
Jan 26 Partly Cloudy 63°/44° 0 % Mon
Jan 27 Partly Cloudy 53°/26° 0 % Tue
Jan 28 Sunny 45°/33° 0 % Wed
Jan 29 Few Showers 53°/41° 30 % Thu
Jan 30 Cloudy 56°/43° 20 % Fri
Jan 31 Showers 61°/47° 30 %

Last Updated Jan 22 06:08 p.m. CT

Let's see, some upper 20's in central Florida, 30's (but not freezing) on the central and southern Florida coasts, looks like everyone is falling right as can be expected according to all the climate maps and historical data.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Let's see, some upper 20's in central Florida, 30's (but not freezing) on the central and southern Florida coasts, looks like everyone is falling right as can be expected according to all the climate maps and historical data.

Its the ups and downs and long lasting cold that i hate, its one thing if its a night or two but up and down every two days gets old, that definitely isn't normal.

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

Just checked 34683. It says 37F, same as mine 34653. Currently there is a wind flow out of the W. All reporting stations within 10 miles of the coast are reporting some western flow or slight breeze. Dewpoints have come up. Despite almost calm conditions, any west flow keeps potential temp drops up. Of course, I could be in Anchorage AK enjoying 46F weather right now - just sayin'.......... :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

For me weather.com shows a low of 37 and wind picking up some by the early morning hours, low dew points as well, hopefully this will turn out to be accurate and next cold night appears to show clouds and higher winds with a low of 38.

Accuweather shows low dewpoints but no change in wind speed.

February looks pretty warm from here, a good sign and after friday it looks as if this will be behind us.

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

Already thinking about replacing the queens with mules and the tall Copernica alba with a specimen Trachy with a hairy trunk if I lose them.....this sucks.

6am and once again, I sneak out of it at only 36F. I cannot tell if there is frost yet, but at 36F the frost will not hurt anything. Currently, winds are NNW 2mph - just enough to keep the temp above the freezing mark. The Mango Tree is in full bloom, and with its large canopy, if we can sneak thru the next week, fruit will be abundant once again. The cold spot I can see is Lecanto in Citrus Co. at 25F. Brrr :sick: :sick:

The forecast for SE Houston continues to degrade. NOAA pinpoint forecast:

Tonight: Tonight Rain likely before 9pm, then rain, freezing rain, and sleet likely between 9pm and midnight, then freezing rain and sleet likely after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Wind chill values between 15 and 20. Blustery, with a northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Friday:A chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet before noon, then a chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Wind chill values between 20 and 30. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

They have dropped the temperature a bit from yesterday and upped the chance of precipitation. What is most damaging is the freezing rain. The elevated freeeways become very dangerous and a coating of ice on plants is very bad. We will see how it goes.

Ed in Houston

This morning's low spot on at 35°F, eyes on Saturday morning. :)

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Look like we may have a reprieve, at least this week. Predicted lows of 27 and 29 have now been moved upwards to 31 and 31.

You are spot on. The maps are drawn the way they are because this is what we can normally expect to occur. (And....local landscape plants dont lie....they may tell short term fibs....but over time they are incapable of telling tall tales.)

But, we still dislike all of this! LOL

In my case, I do expect to drop to ~30F (or at least flirt with a freeze) every winter at least once in Palm Harbor (thus the 9a/10a designation in my sig).

Now, if Bokeelia gets to 30F (where I assume 10b, or essentially freeze free is the norm), I will sit in the middle of my yard there and cry in my big bowl of pity soup.

Larry 

41.2F this morning vs. predicted 39. This matches the lowest temp from a couple weeks ago. Friday's predicted 39F has been raised to 42F. Overall, I am pleased. But my sun room is crowded with crabby tropical palms who just want to go back outdoors. Just 2 more days, guys.

Meg

Florida

34 for the low last night.......supposed to be colder tonight.......Keith, what's that you say?....a reprieve tonight?....may need to check throughout the day and see if it will warm a bit here as well.

Ed....sorry to hear what's going on over there....that is a bad situation..hope most of your stuff pulls through and/or it won't be as bad as predicted.

,,,,,,,,,,,And....local landscape plants dont lie....they may tell short term fibs....but over time they are incapable of telling tall tales.,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Great quote, Larry. And oh so true.

:violin:Yeah NO FROST noted in my yard. Frost on open fields down the street and wide open lawns only. Sunny, crisp 58F now - HEAT WAVE ALERT - but chilly nights ahead. Reminds me of only a few years ago....

,,,,,,,,,,,And....local landscape plants dont lie....they may tell short term fibs....but over time they are incapable of telling tall tales.,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Great quote, Larry. And oh so true.

Certain plants (P. pacifica, Sanchezia, Hyophorbe, etc) taught me this over and over.....I was a stubborn learner :mrlooney:

Larry 

:violin:Yeah NO FROST noted in my yard. Frost on open fields down the street and wide open lawns only. Sunny, crisp 58F now - HEAT WAVE ALERT - but chilly nights ahead. Reminds me of only a few years ago....

Yes.....I went around this AM and checked for frost on plants as well. All of them were wet.....a very cold wet, but still water in liquid form :greenthumb:

House rooftops and car windshields were nice and white.

Larry 

AND NOW FOR NEXT WEEK.......Paul Delagatto Fox13 says "watch out next Wed" The Euro model is pulling biting cold into FL, with snow to Tally and Mobile? He says this could be the coldest yet. Jeez this is OLD! Frost and freezes tonight, tomorrow night, then some warming before the biggest blast yet? Anyone else this? Worrysome. Guess all the frost blankets are staying out another week! Ridiculous. :violin:

^^ Yep, also saw the "potential" forecast for next week. Also hearing the same from 10s weather guy. While looking towards another cold blast sucks, the idea of possible snow in the Panhandle is scary, even if it ends up falling as a quick flurry or two. Way beyond ready for a permanent switch to warmer! :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

-Nathan-

5am in Houston. Temps across the city 30-32 with very light freezing rain. Ice reported on elevated freeways. 33-34 along the coast, Galveston. Light Snow about 50 miles to the north. Precepitaion looks to remain very light and tapering.

This icy precipitation has spread into Louisiana. New Orleans looks to be right on the cusp of getting ice within a couple of hours.

Ed in Houston

I don't recall seeing icy precipitation having been forecasted for New Orleans. Temps are 34-35 at 5:30am with dew points below freezing. A large swath of precipitaition is moving in and I would expect some evaporative cooling. Look out.

Ed in Houston

Morning low warmer than prediction, 42F and for tomorrow we no longer are supposed to dip at or below freezing

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes