IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Freeze of 2014 - I just as soon start the thread now

_Keith

I like the good use of my big pots! No use losing those alfies this year when you got empty pots just sitting there. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist covering them.

Yeah, a normal winter I would not have, but this winter is sure the hell nothing resembling normal.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

A great idea that is easily utilized. There is a PT member here who would encase his frost sensitive stuff in chicken wire and fill the gap with straw or leaves. I have also heard of wrapping the trunk, and using the same method as above as a method of cold protection. While he might loose exposed branch tips to the cold, most of his stuff survived. Thinking a similar set up would be great for seedling and smaller palm specimens. Good luck over the next couple days.

-Nathan-

Keith,

A great idea that is easily utilized. There is a PT member here who would encase his frost sensitive stuff in chicken wire and fill the gap with straw or leaves. I have also heard of wrapping the trunk, and using the same method as above as a method of cold protection. While he might loose exposed branch tips to the cold, most of his stuff survived. Thinking a similar set up would be great for seedling and smaller palm specimens. Good luck over the next couple days.

-Nathan-

It is a common technique here during these odd unusually hard winters to just keep the trunk and growing point alive while sacrificing the fronds. Some folks just cut off all of the fronds, and wrap the trunks with bubble wrap. Growth will be abundant when the heat returns in a month.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You have to be careful using nursery pots. I have measured the temperature inside the pots before and it was much colder inside than out. ( calm night). They evidently have the property of car tops. So if you use them you have to cover them with fabric.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

You have to be careful using nursery pots. I have measured the temperature inside the pots before and it was much colder inside than out. ( calm night). They evidently have the property of car tops. So if you use them you have to cover them with fabric.

Agree. The Oak leaves piled up around the trunks and growing points are what I am counting on. The blankets may save some foliage The nursery pots are to keep the blankets from getting completely coated with frozen liquids. Actually more palms are killed here with the baking from being hard sealed in plastic than from the freeze itself. I am hoping those small holes in the nursery pots will be more effective at venting heat than sealing off cold. We will see. what lives or dies. This is a great experiment in the end.

Keith, you and Dr. Chad are taking the worst of it....but im not out of the woods by any means. 90 percent rain with temps around 30 will not be good for stuff that has really only seen dry cold. Tomorrow forcast is 27 degrees. ....what can be done at this point....not much. Didn't protect the tall alba, the small one has a beach tent to keep it dry. Spring can't come soon enough.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wintry mix just starting arrive, not much to speak of thus far, but they still say its coming.. Lows now forecast at 20 tonight and 25 tomorrow night. Winds is howling like one of those blizzard scenes out of an old western.

I guess the picture from this morning says it all.

1557505_10152198866075540_798914921_n.jp

From Fox17 website.

32 and light sleet in SE Houston. Precipitation will be ending in the next hour or so. Forecasted low tonight is 29. There has been some brief snow showers around town but no accumulation.

Ed in Houston

Now they have revised the low down to 25. Time to fill up the garage and throw some sheets around the garden. Curren temp has now dropped to 31.

Ed in Houston

Now they have revised the low down to 25. Time to fill up the garage and throw some sheets around the garden. Curren temp has now dropped to 31.

Ed in Houston

They revised you down to 25, and now have moved us up from 20 to 22. At least where I am the wintry mix has not materialized at all. This storm must be driving all of the weather folks and their computer models crazy.

The sleet is now coming down very hard. Things will again be coated in ice very shortly. And with a low of 22 and 25 at least according the projections de la minute that might not be a bad thing.

Rudimentary freeze protection for the B. afredii. Each palm is banked 3/4s to the top with Oak Leaves. The remaining fronds are wrapped with a blanket. Over the top of that are the big landscape pots.

The smaller stuff gets the bucket and a brick to hold it down and seal it into the mulch. And this is pretty luxurious protection for me. After getting all of my tender stuff cleaned out by the 2010 freeze, I swore off protection. All of these things were gifts, and this winter is unusual so I felt an obligation to give them a little help this year. But just a little help.

I've used pots, buckets even trash cans overturned and weighed down. And I wrap/cover the plants underneath with towels, flannel. Helps keep out frost and protect from cold, dry winds. Downside here, too, I must remove the covers when the sun comes up to keep from roasting the plants I'm trying to save.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The only thing I have novel is an upside down clear Rubbermaid storage container over some bromeliads....like a mini greenhouse

Unbelievable. ....im still holding at 33 degrees at 10:30 p.m.. .....no sleet... no snow....but a long night ahead. Local news is calling for temps along the coast of 27 tonight and 25 tomorrow night. Here is a pic of the beach today...very cold and eerie with smokey mist coming off the gulf.post-97-0-43622000-1390970269_thumb.jpg

Been watching the radar all afternoon. Was amazing to see how close the freezing rain/sleet came to Panama City through the day. Also amazing that it was 31F with sleet up in Pensacola while temps hovered around 79 in wall to wall sunshine through the day here. Front is creeping south very slowly atm. Showers and occasional T-storms that popped up around sunset still haven't crossed the Skyway yet.

Can tell by a sudden increase in Butterflies passing through the yard, and several flocks of White Pelicans over head today that spring is definitely in the air.

Looks like the stretch of prolonged cold ends here after tomorrow and that the next couple storms ahead may bring the first threats for severe weather of the year up north. 76-80 by Saturday and beyond, warmth spreads north by Monday. Glad the cold is headed out. Time to get more seeds and cuttings going. :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

-Nathan-

Ed in Houston

5am and 33 degrees. Next time I want to know what the low is going to be I will break out the chicken bones and Ouija board and forget about the NWS.

Ed in Houston

http://wavy.com/2014/01/28/virginia-beach-declares-state-of-emergency/ It's my day off anyway, but we'll see if my husband will make it to work....

18 degrees and 70% chance of more snow. I have power and my greenhouses are fine. Only hardy palms outside and they are blanketed in snow. I have lots of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, homemade bread, a puzzle with a picture of Bora Bora (bought for 45 cents at the thrift store when I heard the snow forecast), an internet connection and several new library books. As long as I can get to work tomorrow I'll be fine!

Cindy Adair

25 degrees this morning at 8 am...........ice is covering everything. Temps went below freezing at midnight last night. I'm afraid that everything might be dead. Don't know what to think at this point. Supposed to be cold again tonight.....all these huge palms have icicles....this might be the end of my palm hobby...... :crying:

Hang in there David, I hope and I'm sure your palms will be ok. Look at this map, says we have snow and the freezing rain line is down all the way to Palm Beach! :floor:

post-47-0-10464800-1391009255_thumb.gif

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

25 degrees this morning at 8 am...........ice is covering everything. Temps went below freezing at midnight last night. I'm afraid that everything might be dead. Don't know what to think at this point. Supposed to be cold again tonight.....all these huge palms have icicles....this might be the end of my palm hobby...... :crying:

David, with the kinds of temps you and I had, the ice may be a blessing. Be prepared in the spring to disk out lots of care. Might want to start buying peroxide by the case now. Fungus and disease will be you next enemy and you try to nurse back the survivors. Especially with the kind of investment you made you were dealt a hard blow. Similar happened to me in 2010, although not with the size or expense you might endure, I lost over 30 palms that year, some of which has been growing for years. That was when I swore off zone pushing and protecting. I only slipped slightly back in this year due to gifts, not purchases.

Saying a prayer for you buddy. Regardless of the palms, remember you have a home and location that many of us only dream of having.

David, try not to give up hope. I agree the ice may be a blessing. Down here farmers and orange growers run sprinklers all night. The ice encases things like strawberries in ice that helps them survive the cold. Nature did that for you. Back in Jan. 2010 I tried that but what i didn't realize was that sprinklers had to run all night and City Code forbids that. When they shut off after 1 hour per zone many of my tropical palms were goners.

Overall, Sabals are pretty tough customers, esp. when larger. Your S.c. might lose much of its foliage yet the meristem survive. And, yes, time to invest in peroxide stock. Dollar stores may be your most economical bet.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

This pictures says a lot. Fronds already burned and dying back from our bout with 20 degrees a couple of weeks ago, newly cover with ice and our new bout with 22 degrees last night and the coming 25 tonight. That will finish off these leaves. They garden will look very different going forward. What beautiful fronds covered the ground and lower parts of the many palms, there will not be trunks only visible. And some palms will be loss to either cold or ensuing disease afterward. May be time to transition from mulch to living ground cover.

post-1207-0-05622500-1391014711_thumb.jp

Thanks for the rays of hope......guess im ok with losing the big queens and the tall c. Alba. ...just going to hate losing any more of the big stuff. Guess in the name of science should post some pictures.post-97-0-19597600-1391018252_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-30684600-1391018308_thumb.jpgBizmarkia under ice tarp

post-97-0-77130100-1391018503_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-36517100-1391018546_thumb.jpgMule palm ice

David, try not to give up hope. I agree the ice may be a blessing. Down here farmers and orange growers run sprinklers all night. The ice encases things like strawberries in ice that helps them survive the cold. Nature did that for you. Back in Jan. 2010 I tried that but what i didn't realize was that sprinklers had to run all night and City Code forbids that. When they shut off after 1 hour per zone many of my tropical palms were goners.

As soon as new ice stops forming (as in the sprinklers stop running, etc), the temperature of the leaf surface no longer remains at 32F. Thats the key to the coating everything with ice approach.....one must continually keep making ice (via rain, sprinklers, etc) in order for the technique to work.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

post-97-0-05710700-1391018695_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-63093700-1391018748_thumb.jpgA. wrightii hating it.

post-97-0-02523100-1391018971_thumb.jpgBig icy S. causiarum frondpost-97-0-69022500-1391019032_thumb.jpgThe smaller alba was spared the ice but not the cold.

post-97-0-53175700-1391019287_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-64877700-1391019947_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-16602900-1391019984_thumb.jpgL. Saribus, queen fronds collapsed, tall W. robusta not looking too robust.

http://wavy.com/2014/01/28/virginia-beach-declares-state-of-emergency/ It's my day off anyway, but we'll see if my husband will make it to work....

18 degrees and 70% chance of more snow. I have power and my greenhouses are fine. Only hardy palms outside and they are blanketed in snow. I have lots of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, homemade bread, a puzzle with a picture of Bora Bora (bought for 45 cents at the thrift store when I heard the snow forecast), an internet connection and several new library books. As long as I can get to work tomorrow I'll be fine!

So sorry for all the stressed palms and their owners. FYI, nope, my husband's car couldn't get out of the driveway, no paper, no mail. 10 inches of snow and the city nearly stops.

Cindy Adair

post-97-0-76810200-1391020307_thumb.jpgC. macrocarpa and D. cabadae still think its summer.....almost.

So sorry for all the stressed palms and their owners. FYI, nope, my husband's car couldn't get out of the driveway, no paper, no mail. 10 inches of snow and the city nearly stops.

At least you had 10 inches to stop things. The entire Gulf Coast stopped, goverments, businesses, schools and airports, for a quarter inch or ice and a single inch of snow. Embarrassing, really.

One more night in the low 20s left on this round, they are saying 23 here.

But already next week on Wednesday they are showing 33. Dang when does this end.

While a distant memory, still remember waking up to the radio talking about how flights at Tampa int. wouldn't be able to take off until the sun melted off the ice on the planes back in 2010. I guess the term "Metal Dinosaur" makes sense, lol.

Lots of pictures sent from my Anut/Uncle's place up in Georgia yesterday.. After living in it, they can keep all that white stuff.

-Nathan-

While a distant memory, still remember waking up to the radio talking about how flights at Tampa int. wouldn't be able to take off until the sun melted off the ice on the planes back in 2010. I guess the term "Metal Dinosaur" makes sense, lol.

Lots of pictures sent from my Anut/Uncle's place up in Georgia yesterday.. After living in it, they can keep all that white stuff.

-Nathan-

Right there with you Nathan. Snow is something you fly to Colorado to see, and no more often than once a decade. Actually, I have only seen and played in real snow twice in my life, and that was one time more than needed. I'll take sugar white warm sands and the smell of salt air any day. And David my friend, you will have that for a lifetime and no freeze will take that away from you.

My definition: Real snow is at least 6 to 12 inches deep, preferably more, and sticks around at least a few days. It is accompanied by a HUGE fireplace in a log cabin looking lodge with giant windows facing mountains, and a well stocked bar.

^^ Cheers to that Keith,

Having lived for several years in both Kansas and Ohio, I can attest to "Snow".. and all the "fun" had in it lol.

The one exception?.. Not sure what to call it but roughly around the end of February, until the first day of spring, there would be a 4 week period where, when it would snow, especially when followed by a clear night and full moon, the landscape would take on some sort of energy of its own and the snow would sparkle as if someone had cast stars on the ground. Would take the long way home from a night out on nights like that. It was if you could just feel a change of season was near. Another thing about winters spent there, the sound of stillness on cold nights. Nothing like it.

-Nathan-

attachicon.gif20140129_112401.jpgattachicon.gif20140129_112427.jpgattachicon.gif20140129_112525.jpgL. Saribus, queen fronds collapsed, tall W. robusta not looking too robust.

David, it probably looks worse than it is. Based on the fact that folks in Texas grow the same palms you grow and have had them come back to full glory from far worse than what yours have been exposed to, my guess is that by next Summer this nasty cold will be but a bad memory. Keep yourself sane and don't worry about your palms for the time being.

Given how cheap palms are in Florida right now, I wouldn't sweat it. Your worst case scenario is that you might have to replace something. And you have plenty of heat for stuff to regenerate rather quickly.