IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Freeze of 2014 - I just as soon start the thread now

_Keith

Just amazing, now 57.

I just checked the FAWN website and the Indian River site is showing 63 degrees!

Mad about palms

Interesting how the easterly wind warmed up the east coast as one might expect. On the west coast, the gulf warmth is not evident as the easterly wind comes from central florida. We dropped to 39 low at 5 am and have been slowly rising, now at 47F. My sentiments are with Walt's good riddance vortex! now another month and we should be in the clear...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

32 briefly at my place. P. elegans out front (north facing) took it hardest. Will be interesting to see how the container ranch out back fared after we warm up this weekend.

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

It's amazing how much difference a wind shift can make in a short time--look at Stuart, FL at 4:55 AM:

post-4141-0-06942300-1389206231_thumb.jp

35°F pretty much all night long. No damage, we were spared from the wrath of the Great polar vortex (this time).

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Just amazing, now 57.

I just checked the FAWN website and the Indian River site is showing 63 degrees!

It was so wonderful to see the temps go up so fast way before sun rise! It seems usually cold snaps just only gets colder as dawn breaks. Florida blows my mind!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

A balmy 38 forecast for tonight....would be surprised if it goes that low ...lots of clouds and 48 at 6:30 thank goodness this event is history

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

It has really warmed up nicely here at my place in Corpus Christi in the last 48 hours, from a high of only 44.9F on Monday to a high of 69.6F today. A 25F warm up in two days. Now that's my kind of recovery from an arctic blast. We are supposed to be in the low to mid 70's tomorrow and upper 70's to near 80F on Friday! I am ready for Spring, but unfortunately, a local weatherman said that we could have another bad arctic blast with moisture in about two weeks. I hope he is wrong.

John

43 .... my low....going to start uncovering stuff today....scared to look

What a difference in 48 hours...32F on Tues morning, 38F yesterday morning and 60F this morning. 70s today and 80s tommorow

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wall to wall sunshine and 82F Friday. Beautiful day. So odd that 3 days prior it struggled to hit 45F with biting winds. No wonder I am down with a bad cold. Then, next weekend looks like another chill (not as bad) but still 30's into Central Florida, frost into Ocala/Apopka line. Up and down we go. This is NOT last year fur sure! :sick:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

• 2 weeks later...

Alright this is getting ridiculous. Snow and sleet tomorrow and 24 again on Tuesday!?

They are showing another bout down to 20 here. I am thinking of getting bigger mower, chopping all of this crap down, and growing hay on these 3 acres.

But seriously, we are now treading into territory where I could lose some bigger treasured palms. I bet you never thought those afredii were gonna get tested like this.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You always just keep planting Sabals. You'll never worry about the cold again.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I don't think the cold front from the arctic has been affecting the weather where I am. But, it is relatively cool period now. It is Amazonian winter, which is really in the southern hemisphere summer. It is cool here whenever the daytime highs are under 90 F. I will be in S. Florida in a few weeks. I hope a cold front does not meet me there.

Maoweatherwv_zps250b082f.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That settles it. I wannabe Don's neighbor! lol. It says 47 here at my home (not scientifical), and then at WU it says real feel is 42, and then at Accu it says real feel is 38, but it is waayyy more chilly than all that.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

I just want it all to go away and warm up.!!!! :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

At least your not having the "wonder which one of my torched palms will come back to life in the spring" conversation

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

So, maybe we should start believing farmer's almanac?

Maybe. But then again, I remember an old saying, "a broken clock is still right twice a day, and can boast of a long history of success."

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The cold goes on. When I started this thread, I thought I was talking about "a" freeze, not a string of them.

First the good news. It seems the damage from our recent ice storm was very minimal. Perhaps the insulating effect of an ice coating is beneficial at a certain temperature on palms. I spent the morning

Now, comes the biggie of 2014, the worst of the 3 freezes.

Today
Jan 27 24.gif Cloudy / Wind 62°/27° 20 % Tue
Jan 28 7.gif Wintry Mix 31°/23° 100 % Wed
Jan 29 30.gif Partly Cloudy 41°/24° 0 %

And, it looks like freezing temps maybe coming again next week, too.

They have bumped my forcast up into the moderately safe zone. Not expecting snow or freezing rain. But with temps still expected to be around 27 tomorrow night...I still worry about freezing water after the rains. Still too early, but maybe dodged another bullet here. Still going to try and protect everything as best I can.

They have bumped my forcast up into the moderately safe zone. Not expecting snow or freezing rain. But with temps still expected to be around 27 tomorrow night...I still worry about freezing water after the rains. Still too early, but maybe dodged another bullet here. Still going to try and protect everything as best I can.

Good luck David. That gulf proximity is working well for you as compared to some of us. On this one, looks like I am sitting at ground zero.

Yeah, looking good, David.... maybe you are 9b. I always thought the Destin area to be colder than down here.... guess I was wrong. Maybe I should move..........

I think Destin is slightly colder than here, but David is one house off the beach. Huge difference.

And the front just arrived here. Temp dropped 10 degrees in first 10 minutes. Went from short sleeve shirt to jacket already.

For Wednesday the forecast last week went from around freezing with a high in the mid 40s (even the possibility of wintry precipitation) to a forecasted non-event low of 45°F. Only going to make sure my greenhouses have their heaters on before going to bed. :asleep:

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Forecasted lows for this Wed. night went from 40F last week to 45F at the weekend to 56F in today's paper. Crazy but I like it.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Now ya'll got me looking at the forecast again. We got a little reprieve tonight. Lows moved up from 27 to 31. Still got 100% chance of precipitation tomorrow with lows of 23 and 25 next two nights.

Keep checking Keith, they keep moving the freezing rain/snow line northward...now they are only saying snow/freezing rain for Dothan, Alabama with decreasing chance for Florida. Cross your fingers...you might be spared as well. Accuweather seems like an outlyer.....Weather Underground, Weather Channel and local guys seem in agreement with less of an event around here.

Keith, I noticed I think in one of your photos posted somewhere that you were along side a creek. I usually think of water as being insulating but guess it also could mean you are in a low spot and trap the colder air? Are others in your town getting hit as badly?

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Yes, it appears that the moisture getting trapped just north of Tampa Bay will deflect the coldest of air. While Wed will be a RAW cold day - probably staying around 45-50F with some rain, the night will not drop much due to the same clouds. THEN the warmup begins! I am seeing 74-77F Fri Sat Sun......those numbers look so good. Nice today, too 72F the high. :yay:

It is forecast to be cool and wet, but not cold. It does not look like something to be worried about here. Good luck for those of you further north!

Brevard County, Fl

Yeah, _Keith, you beat me to it.

I hope it's a false alarm. Even a half-false alarm.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yeah, _Keith, you beat me to it.

I hope it's a false alarm. Even a half-false alarm.

My flight to Orange County tomorrow morning cancelled an hour ago. They automatically put me on the next flight and now it has cancelled. Now on the last out, and I am betting it will cancel tonight or in the morning.

Rudimentary freeze protection for the B. afredii. Each palm is banked 3/4s to the top with Oak Leaves. The remaining fronds are wrapped with a blanket. Over the top of that are the big landscape pots.

The smaller stuff gets the bucket and a brick to hold it down and seal it into the mulch. And this is pretty luxurious protection for me. After getting all of my tender stuff cleaned out by the 2010 freeze, I swore off protection. All of these things were gifts, and this winter is unusual so I felt an obligation to give them a little help this year. But just a little help.

post-1207-0-23830400-1390873673_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-22166300-1390873812_thumb.jp

I like the good use of my big pots! No use losing those alfies this year when you got empty pots just sitting there. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist covering them.