IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Freeze of 2014 - I just as soon start the thread now

_Keith

+1 for plastic/tarp and heaters. When we got below 32 degrees last month thats what I did. Actually plastic>frost cloth even without a heater.

Even if you have a tall palm, you can throw plastic over it and the heater air rise and keep it warm as it gets trapped

Hey Everyone,

Here in Corpus Christi, one local t.v. station is forecasting 30F for tomorrow morning and 28F for Tuesday morning, whereas another station is reporting 34F for tomorrow morning and I think 30F for Tuesday morning. These temps are for the airport of course, which is on the west side of town about 20 miles inland from the Gulf.

Where I live in Flour Bluff on the east side of town, just .6 of a mile inland from the Gulf, I estimate my low tomorrow morning to be around 35-39F and for Tuesday morning to be around 32-35F. The NWS pinpoint forecast is showing me to only get down to 36F tomorrow morning and I think 35F Tuesday morning. I sure hope they are right. The Island, I don't think will get below 38F this week. We are supposed to be back in the upper 60's on Wednesday and back into the low to mid 70's on Thursday! Good luck to everyone. I wish you well.

John

Correction, I meant to say I am just .6 of a mile inland from the Laguna Madre, a shallow narrow lagoon between Flour Bluff and Padre Island. I am about 6 or 7 miles inland from the Gulf.

John

Mr. Coconut Palm, I have observed the climate on the flour bluff on a number of occasions through wundermap, you really look to have a good microclimate, almost as good as the island. I couldn't believe a few days ago, you were a whole zone warmer than nearby areas like Aransas Pass just north of the bay yet still close to salt water. There were numerous stations at or below freezing around Ingleside/Aransas Pass but the flour bluff was in the low 40's, huge difference. Good luck, I hope the temps hold for you.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I have brought all my tender tropicals in pots inside, since I don't have a greenhouse here. My coconut palms in the ground (a Jamaican Tall about 4ft. tall, a Golden Malayan about 6ft. tall, a Green Malayan about 10ft. tall, and beach coconut palm sprouted from a beach coconut that I think is another Golden Malayan about 3ft. tall) have all been wrapped with blankets and towels. I have also wrapped my Cuban Royal that is about 5ft. tall, and I have wrapped my King Palm that is about 30 inches tall, and my Majesty that is about 6ft. tall. These are all overall heights. I have a producing papaya that has really been beat up by the chilly winds from the last couple of Arctic fronts. My Queen palms are looking okay though. We have been down into the 30's a total of aboout 7 or 8 nights since mid November, with the lowest so far of 36.5F

John

Hey Xerarch,

Yeah the other morning when it got down to the upper 20's in Ingleside on the north side of Corpus Christi Bay, we only got down to 39.7F at my place. The airport that morning got down to 32F. Usually here at my place, we are about 3-6F warmer than the airport's lows. I specifically picked Flour Bluff when I moved here from Bryan, TX in 2012, because this is a Zone 10A climate (barely, but it is 10A) and the cost of homes here is much more reasonable than on the Island. My wife and I bought this place for $65,000 (a small 3 br. older brick house on a 50ft. x 130ft. lot). Small 3br. homes on the Island are about $230,000+ with larger canal homes in the $500,000- 1,000,000+ range. The east end of Ocean Drive along the Corpus Christi Bay bayfront, Flour Bluff, and Padre Island are 10A, but most of Corpus is 9B, with the west side of town around Cal Allen, being 9A.

John

I have brought all my tender tropicals in pots inside, since I don't have a greenhouse here. My coconut palms in the ground (a Jamaican Tall about 4ft. tall, a Golden Malayan about 6ft. tall, a Green Malayan about 10ft. tall, and beach coconut palm sprouted from a beach coconut that I think is another Golden Malayan about 3ft. tall) have all been wrapped with blankets and towels. I have also wrapped my Cuban Royal that is about 5ft. tall, and I have wrapped my King Palm that is about 30 inches tall, and my Majesty that is about 6ft. tall. These are all overall heights. I have a producing papaya that has really been beat up by the chilly winds from the last couple of Arctic fronts. My Queen palms are looking okay though. We have been down into the 30's a total of aboout 7 or 8 nights since mid November, with the lowest so far of 36.5F

John

The King and the Majesty should not even flinch at those temps you are expecting. Mine sailed through the upper 20s on several occasions.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Axel,

Left San Jose around the 1st of last month. The move back here to Florida was in the cards, but got moved up by a year.

Zone-wise, 9b may be debatable, at least this close to the coast. Further east, definitely gets colder. I've been surprised by the numerous Coconuts I have encountered since arriving here in Bradenton. My current avatar is a 10-12 footer I came across while walking the length of the north end of Anna Maria Island from about 3 miles south (one way). There is a house near Desoto nat. Monument that has 3 or 4? (can't remember atm) Cocos in front with at least 11 (maybe more) feet of trunk. Mouth dropped when I spied those.

Healthy Royals?.. are everywhere, as are numerous huge Benjamin Ficus (buttressed roots and all) that line a couple blocks along the west side of 34th St, about a mile or so from the house.

Despite the weather service including this part of town in a freeze watch for the Tuesday/Wednesday timeframe, id be surprised if we get anything beyond a light frost. We'll see what happens though. I'm more concerned for everyone further north including Keith and David (Alicehunter2000).They're in the heart of this episode.

Also hoping those mountains back your way get some rain.. Don't want to think how bad the coming fire season could be if the weather doesn't change. Uvas res. was almost empty when I took the dog there back in November, San Luis was low when we passed through on the way east. Not good signs.

-Nathan-

I consult many weather forecast websites (for what good it does) and find they are all over the place. One website I always us is FAWN (link at bottom).

I like the color graphics where, at a glance, I can see the temperature in virtually real time across all of Florida (where they have their weather stations, which are mainly in rural locations, as this website serves mostly the agricultural community).

In any event, I mainly get my weather conditions from the Sebring location (which is actually 5 miles SSE of the town of Sebring, Florida). My location is about 8 miles SSW of the Sebring weather station.

By clicking on any given location you get current weather conditions. To the upper left on that page you can click on graphic forecast, which is a 5-day forecast shown on a color coded line graph in one-hour increments.

NWS is calling for a 33 degree low Tuesday morning and 31 degree low Tuesday morning, but indicate light to moderate wind. If this wind holds up there should be little or no frost, and that's a good thing for me. Radiational cooling events, historically, have been the most damaging to my palms and tropicals. I can only hope that the current NWS forecast holds up or even goes up, as this forecast is right on the margins (to where it could be foliage damaging).

http://fawn.ifas.ufl.edu/

Mad about palms

Thanks Nathan, Keith may have it a tad worse......I think he froze last night after the rain...... the sun came up just in time for me.....still got to 33. Looks like with this horrendous wind we might dry out a bit before the big chill tonight. Expecting onset of freezing temps shortly after sundown today. Still hoping the selection and size of palms will carry me through. Smaller stuff will get sheets and blankets especially the buzzy in my best microclimate (Christmas lights also). Most concerned about C. Albas , L. Saribus , possibllarge ponytail. .....but with temps expected in the low 20's. ....everything is susceptible.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

This is what is still growing up in N. Florida. January 6, 2014.post-97-0-26419700-1389017382_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-49767000-1389017422_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-46253000-1389017458_thumb.jpg

9am here and still only 30 degrees, ughhhhhh

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The front just hit here around 10AM........winds up notably and things are heading downward from here......

post-200-0-72108300-1389021693_thumb.gif

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

New Orleans catches a nice break when the winds continue to blow from the north. They are predicted at 31 for tonight. I would consider urban New Orleans Zone 9b. Maybe I need to look for a townhouse there......

Axel,

Left San Jose around the 1st of last month. The move back here to Florida was in the cards, but got moved up by a year.

Zone-wise, 9b may be debatable, at least this close to the coast. Further east, definitely gets colder. I've been surprised by the numerous Coconuts I have encountered since arriving here in Bradenton. My current avatar is a 10-12 footer I came across while walking the length of the north end of Anna Maria Island from about 3 miles south (one way). There is a house near Desoto nat. Monument that has 3 or 4? (can't remember atm) Cocos in front with at least 11 (maybe more) feet of trunk. Mouth dropped when I spied those.

Healthy Royals?.. are everywhere, as are numerous huge Benjamin Ficus (buttressed roots and all) that line a couple blocks along the west side of 34th St, about a mile or so from the house.

Despite the weather service including this part of town in a freeze watch for the Tuesday/Wednesday timeframe, id be surprised if we get anything beyond a light frost. We'll see what happens though. I'm more concerned for everyone further north including Keith and David (Alicehunter2000).They're in the heart of this episode.

Also hoping those mountains back your way get some rain.. Don't want to think how bad the coming fire season could be if the weather doesn't change. Uvas res. was almost empty when I took the dog there back in November, San Luis was low when we passed through on the way east. Not good signs.

-Nathan-

Nathan,

Bradenton west of #41 is a solid 10a, and anna maria island will never freeze in this event, it is a warm spot. I moved into the general area just before the 2010 cold event (30 year cold event), this area of Bradenton wasn't touched, no damage to any 10a palms. Depending on the direction of prevailing winds anna maria can be as warm or warmer than cape coral or parts of Miami as it was in the 2010 cold event. If the wind comes off the land(from NE) it will be colder, but coming off the water it will not be very cold. the gulf is still relatively warm for this late in the season, so anywhere west of the 41 is unlikely to see any real cold. #41 is the dividing line for 10a, but if you go east it can get cold in a hurry. 5 miles east of the #41, you will find no royals as even large ones cant take the cold there. In that part of florida proximity to the water is more important than latitude.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Axel,

-Nathan-

I am not surprised you escaped from Norcal. Now you will finally be able to grow a royal to perfection, not to mention a coconut. Hope you have a good AC system, you're gonna need it.

82 today and almost perfect out atm. Definitely a good day spent building new plant benches.

Going forward, noticing an interesting spread between what the Weather Service and Accuweather are calling for. Noaa's current forecast has pushed temps down to 38F Tuesday morning, and right around 32F Wednesday morning. Accuweather seems to bottom out at 36F for both mornings here.. Then back to 82 by next Friday. Should be interesting how the chips fall and what influence being surrounded by lakes, and roughly 10 minutes from the coast in 3 directions has on how low temps go here. Further away from the water (Lakewood Ranch area) temps may drop to around 27-25F per the NOAA's current thinking.

As for the cold itself, definitely a different animal than what one would expect back in CA. Nice and warm can rapidly give way to 20+mph winds, and feeling like it is 25 out when one of these winter fronts sweeps down from up north. I remember thinking how "water temps dropping into the 50's" during the '10 freeze didn't seem a big deal until walking the beaches over the next couple days and seeing all the dead fish. Being from the same area as Axel, water temps, especially during the winter, are typically somewhere within the 50 degree range.

Another difference, as Keith mentioned, that cold wind can easily damage stuff without the threat of frost or a freeze, especially if there is fresh new growth present.

Aside from a few things that will hang out inside so recent new growth doesn't get damaged, i'm more concerned for a neighbor's Papayas.. they're loaded atm. Good luck to everyone in the heart of this cold spell and thank god this isn't a '10 repeat , or worse!!

-Nathan-

When did you move to Florida? Last I remember you lived in San Jose. Talk about a major difference in climate, but you're still stuck in 9b. Man, if you tried to get out of the San Jose cold you didn't go far south enough, another 20 miles and you'd be in the coconut belt.

Not really, in florida proximity to the water is more important thn 20 miles of latitude. Bradenton is 10a west of the 41, lots of long term 10a palms including cocos. If you look at the water, Bradenton has the gulf to the west and tampa bay to the north, lots of water around. when I moved there in 2010 the 30 cold event had little damage to cocos near the gulf.

Tom Blank

Well.. I caved in and decided to give my Royal some royal treatment. Everything else tender is on their own waiting in death camp hoping the judge will give them a last minute repeal. Not looking good though ^_^ Hopefully it will be another 20 years before something like this ever happens again. Until then royal palm live on live on...

post-6146-0-90187800-1389024939_thumb.jp

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

Got down to 25F here...downtown/South Houston was in the high 20s and Galveston dipped just below freezing. Looks like Corpus and the RGV escaped with mid-high 30s/low 40s. Terrified for tonight :wacko: forecast for 20F :crying:

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

You got a heat cable under that tarp?

Christmas lights around the crown

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

Not sure what my actual low was, but when I shut it down last night at 1:30am it has just hit 32. And it is still below freezing now.

Tyler, so you live out on the peninsula or island in p-cola. Will be interesting how many degrees you can still squeak out there even with this wind. Good luck....I'll be doing the same for my Bizmarkia this afternoon. Worried about the 2 big queens on the north side/backyard.

Jonathan, sorry to hear that..I know ya'll plant some tender stuff around there, even more so than here.

Keith....dude....hate to hear you are still below freezing...you caught this event at night which made it even worse. Luckily we were spared last night and are now around 40 I think, very sunny at the moment. Tonight it will hit me full force, but luckily no rain forcasted.

Still freezing at 11 AM!?

Outdoor temp probe now showing 33 at noon. Tonight will be brutal.

I used to consult NWS out of Melbourne, Fl. If I recall correctly (if in fact that is the website I'm thinking of) they used to have a state of Florida graphic that showed the entire state with temperatures shown in 2 degrees F isotherms. I liked that graphic because it really defined the temperature and locations with the isotherm lines. You could put the graphic in a time lapse mode and see (like over an hour or two time) how the isotherm lines would move farther and farther down the peninsula as it got colder.

Mad about palms

Well, it's 79 degrees (1:00 p.m.) with winds at 10 MPH from 271 degrees. So I expect the winds are now turning to start coming in from the N.W. and the temperatures to start to fall. It did get warmer for my high that predicted. I hope that would translate to a higher low temperature tomorrow morning, but I wouldn't bet my retirement check on it.

Mad about palms

Click on the first link ,and that gives all of the choices. You can choose Loop for the animation.

It is 1:07 here in Daytona , and still 70.5 , but I expect the crash in the next 10 minutes or so . BAH !

I B. alfredii left to cover, runnning out of old blankets, Tree fern will just get leaves. If I have any left I may try to save my 2 Majesties. Dang it, I am caught up in this protection racket again. I try to get out but they (PT friends) drag me back in.

Tyler, so you live out on the peninsula or island in p-cola. Will be interesting how many degrees you can still squeak out there even with this wind. Good luck....I'll be doing the same for my Bizmarkia this afternoon. Worried about the 2 big queens on the north side/backyard.

Jonathan, sorry to hear that..I know ya'll plant some tender stuff around there, even more so than here.

Keith....dude....hate to hear you are still below freezing...you caught this event at night which made it even worse. Luckily we were spared last night and are now around 40 I think, very sunny at the moment. Tonight it will hit me full force, but luckily no rain forcasted.I

I am on the island. I'm thinking we will be able to squeeze a few degrees out here but they have it just over the bridge at 18F! I am going to leave my Beccariophoenix alfredii exposed. About to find out how much cold this thing will take without frost.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

Click on the first link ,and that gives all of the choices. You can choose Loop for the animation.

It is 1:07 here in Daytona , and still 70.5 , but I expect the crash in the next 10 minutes or so . BAH !

That graphic is similar but not the same one they used to have. The old graphic was bigger and you had to scroll the page to see the entire state. But the old graphic had 2 degree temperature isotherm lines. No matter, the new graphic is informative.

Mad about palms

Keith....dude....hate to hear you are still below freezing...you caught this event at night which made it even worse. Luckily we were spared last night and are now around 40 I think, very sunny at the moment. Tonight it will hit me full force, but luckily no rain forcasted.I

I am on the island. I'm thinking we will be able to squeeze a few degrees out here but they have it just over the bridge at 18F! I am going to leave my Beccariophoenix alfredii exposed. About to find out how much cold this thing will take without frost.

hopefully this is a larger(6' or so) established alfredii, else the data will not mean much and you could very well lose the palm when it might survive such a cold spell as a larger established plant.

Tom Blank

Its about 3'. I will put a flood light beside it if my temps go below 22. :greenthumb:

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

Predicted lows here for tonight and Tues night actually went up: 40/39 vs 39/37 Temp is 79F right now. We will yank selected potted palms indoors this afternoon. Tomorrow we stay indoors. I will make turkey rice soup for our niece who has a cold.

Keith, I like your philosophy which I learned the hard way. On Jan. 9, 2010 facing a serious bout of bronchitis I sat in tears looking out the back lanai. "I'm going to lose everything," I wailed. And I pretty much did - 30+ sp of tropicals. Will never plant them again.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

82 today and almost perfect out atm. Definitely a good day spent building new plant benches.

Going forward, noticing an interesting spread between what the Weather Service and Accuweather are calling for. Noaa's current forecast has pushed temps down to 38F Tuesday morning, and right around 32F Wednesday morning. Accuweather seems to bottom out at 36F for both mornings here.. Then back to 82 by next Friday. Should be interesting how the chips fall and what influence being surrounded by lakes, and roughly 10 minutes from the coast in 3 directions has on how low temps go here. Further away from the water (Lakewood Ranch area) temps may drop to around 27-25F per the NOAA's current thinking.

As for the cold itself, definitely a different animal than what one would expect back in CA. Nice and warm can rapidly give way to 20+mph winds, and feeling like it is 25 out when one of these winter fronts sweeps down from up north. I remember thinking how "water temps dropping into the 50's" during the '10 freeze didn't seem a big deal until walking the beaches over the next couple days and seeing all the dead fish. Being from the same area as Axel, water temps, especially during the winter, are typically somewhere within the 50 degree range.

Another difference, as Keith mentioned, that cold wind can easily damage stuff without the threat of frost or a freeze, especially if there is fresh new growth present.

Aside from a few things that will hang out inside so recent new growth doesn't get damaged, i'm more concerned for a neighbor's Papayas.. they're loaded atm. Good luck to everyone in the heart of this cold spell and thank god this isn't a '10 repeat , or worse!!

-Nathan-

When did you move to Florida? Last I remember you lived in San Jose. Talk about a major difference in climate, but you're still stuck in 9b. Man, if you tried to get out of the San Jose cold you didn't go far south enough, another 20 miles and you'd be in the coconut belt.

Not really, in florida proximity to the water is more important thn 20 miles of latitude. Bradenton is 10a west of the 41, lots of long term 10a palms including cocos. If you look at the water, Bradenton has the gulf to the west and tampa bay to the north, lots of water around. when I moved there in 2010 the 30 cold event had little damage to cocos near the gulf.

I agree, Bradenton is definitely a super warm spot, and Anna Maria has much the same flora as the Florida Keys (which surprised me when I visited Key West. I felt like I was walking around Anna Maria). Further south actually can mean it gets colder. I saw worse damage to coconuts in Oneco right on the water than many coconuts in Bradenton. I think it's the fact that there's both the Manatee river and the Tampa bay to the north, so there are two bodies of water to warm up winds coming from the north, and of course the gulf to the west. 10 miles inland though and it seems like 9a more than anything. It's fun to drive from around Lake Manatee to Anna Maria on SR 64 because it feels like going from North Florida to the keys in less than 30 minutes without even changing roads.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Accuweather and WeatherUndergound forecast the low tonight in Fort Lauderdale as 50, Weather Channel says 47. Hopefully it won't be any worse than that.

Joe Monkey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

zone 10B+