IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

About to get pimp-slapped.

buffy

Looks like 14F for Monday night. Good bye marginal friends. Let's see what will surprise.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Sorry to hear it. This weather must be dipping out of Canada for you guys...it certainly hasn't come from the west. I am wondering if we are now in Socal given we haven't seen less than 65 degrees as a high for a month now. (Sorry, I just slapped myself for writing that!)

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

You think that's bad?

goc8.jpg

Hopefully the image works. If not...

Monday 27/8F 50% chance Snow...ouch!!! Big time. I'm doing my best to wrap them up and save them. Hope it works.

2010/11 cleared out all of my marginal stuff. A few things have slipped back in, mostly through gifts, but I learned my lesson back then. At this point, like you said above, let's see what surprises me.

Good luck, Buffy.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Highjack alert!!!

Keith what are you growing these days? I'm sure you've posted a thread on the topic before. But I'll be darned if I can remember.

How dare you hi-jack my thread! The horror. I'm humiliated. ;)

I suspect his list is similar to mine; though, he probably has better luck(climate). ;)

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

LoL. Wasn't trying to steal the thunder of the thread. Just relating to the post. I also planted marginal palms this past spring and this year of all years has to be one of the coldest since i have been growing palms. So glad I didn't plant that mule palm yet.

Hope you are able to spare some of your palms.

You think that's bad?

goc8.jpg

Hopefully the image works. If not...

Monday 27/8F 50% chance Snow...ouch!!! Big time. I'm doing my best to wrap them up and save them. Hope it works.

8F in GA? Huge ouch! I'm hoping for the best for all of you.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Adjusted down to 13F tomorrow night. Tonight we just get 15F with wind gusts to 30 mph. Joy.

LoL. Wasn't trying to steal the thunder of the thread. Just relating to the post. I also planted marginal palms this past spring and this year of all years has to be one of the coldest since i have been growing palms. So glad I didn't plant that mule palm yet.

8F makes me want to cry inside. Sorry bro.

8F makes me want to cry inside. Sorry bro.

Me, too.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It's all good. All my palms are small enough to wrap up with sheets and frost cloth. Just finished wrapping the last one about 10 minuets ago. I will let you know how everything does after this passes. My Washingtonia already has some frost damage from nights down to 24. There was one night that went down to 20 with a wind chill at 14. Wasn't able to wrap it good that time but was got it enough to keep it from getting any worse especially on short notice.

Yes, good luck....sounds like you have prepared well.

Keith, you had rain.....and freezing temps tonight?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yes, good luck....sounds like you have prepared well.

Keith, you had rain.....and freezing temps tonight?

Yes, rains came, but luckily not too much. Dry air should quickly evaporate most of it. Hmmm, let's see what the temp is. 11pm and 37 degrees. Still calling for a low of 26 tonight. Northerlies are howling out there. Prediction is 10 hours below freezing and not rising above 32 until 11am.

Ouch, 8 F?! Covington, GA to where I'm at isn't terribly far. Why such drastic temperature differences? To the OP, we're about in the same boat, 8A here and the lows for Monday have fluctuated from 14-16 degree lows. I'd love to go ahead and put my protection on one of my Phoenix's, but there is a steady stream of rain :rolleyes:

Ouch, 8 F?! Covington, GA to where I'm at isn't terribly far. Why such drastic temperature differences? To the OP, we're about in the same boat, 8A here and the lows for Monday have fluctuated from 14-16 degree lows. I'd love to go ahead and put my protection on one of my Phoenix's, but there is a steady stream of rain :rolleyes:

I have a Phoenix hybrid (canariensis x dactylifera) that's gonna see how tough he is tonight. New revised low is 12F. I'm pulling for the young fella.

Current temp here is 31 with wind chill at 18. Low tonight is 9 with wind chill to be around -10. Wrapped palms seem to be holding up well. Keep your fingers crossed.

Prediction of 22F tonight here in Gainesville, FL. Good luck to those of you about to get walloped.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Augusta, GA was supposed to have a high this afternoon of 37F, but it made it to 41F. Low predicted to be 15F. We've been through this before, but it's been quite a few years ago. If the stupid wind would stop blowing it would help. I only wrapped one Ceratozamia because it is small. Everybody else is on their own.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

New forecast is 11F for me tonight. Good luck palmy-buddies.

Polar Vortex. Google it for news

Polar vortex: What is it, and when is it going away?

Thanks Keith for the info. The last time we got this cold here was the blizzard of 1993. I remember our power going out for four days. Brrr!! I think that was from a polar vortex issue as well. Current temp 17 with chill at 3. Now predicting a low of 10 for us. Better than 8 but still not out of the woods yet. I forgot to cover my Sago's but I'm not as worried about them since they are easily available at box stores.

buffy: Wish you luck. Hope you do lots of fertilizing in the spring and summer time... No cold protection for you?

Fail on my part. Left my potted year and a half old filiferia's outside till about midnight and totally forgot... Geez. They were completely wind dried and the base was frozen cold. Poor lil buggas.

Smithgn, What temp was it when you brought it in? Did you get your phoenix palm covered in time? It's 13 here right now with a chill at -3. Not much wind here so im still keeping my fingers crossed.

My place appears to be a bit magical. I'm in the middle of town on a hill called Forest Hills. I'm sitting here looking at 20F while a little further out it shows 17F and then in the sticks in ranges from 16F down to 9F. Remarkable. I'm sure in the lower reaches of the yard, I'm looking at around 17F, but still remarkable.

I left a lot uncovered. I mainly covered small stuff. Lots of hybrids are testing the cold.

Man,

Only got down to 28F. Saw Atlanta at 7F! I hope Alex in Atlanta did not lose most of his palm collection.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I was sure how cold it got here probably above 28F --- thank providence for that as I just couldnt get any heaters going like I needed to . I am hopeing my big Jubeopsis made it thorugh with out much leaf burn.

I hope everyon is keeping warm

Best regards

Ed

My cold night was Sunday night @ 17.9F. We went below freezing at around 5:00pm on Sunday and I expect to be above freezing within an hour. So approximately 40 hours below freezing. Let's see the damage over the next month.

As I posted on the other thread got down to 20 F. last night still freezing at 22.5 F. at 10am. :unsure: Well I guess I'll find out just how stupid I was to plant all those large palms. Tall washies already look necrotic deep green. Even the large S. causarium is looking kind of a weird darker green. Just hoping for survival of the big stuff at this point.

Alice I think we all were stupd and too optimistic with the big palms but I had a friend that got a Archeophoneix up to 50 feet here in Jax befor e it died so you do get some enjoyment while they prosper during the good times.

As I posted on the other thread got down to 20 F. last night still freezing at 22.5 F. at 10am. :unsure: Well I guess I'll find out just how stupid I was to plant all those large palms. Tall washies already look necrotic deep green. Even the large S. causarium is looking kind of a weird darker green. Just hoping for survival of the big stuff at this point.

I am sure your large palms will be fine. You may have some burned leaves but with all the heat you get down there, you'll recover fast. Just think of it as temporarily deciduous palms. I will be curious about your large causiarum. That's a tough palm, I bet the leaves won't even be burned.

Read this thread, it will make you feel better. See post #1 and post #34 to see how it all grew back, cold spell was longer than yours and colder, yet I think it's the same types of palms.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/27397-empirical-data-from-the-north-texas-freeze-of-2011/

I think someone should create the "Pimp-Slap Dance" and video themselves doing it in their frozen garden.

GA Palm Guy- I brought them in when it was around the low 20's. It was pretty windy and it did a number on both of my filiferas. When I brought them inside they were extremely dry and a deep green. I covered my Phoenix in time. I just now took the blanket and frost cover off and my phoenix still suffered a bit. It got down to 14 degrees Monday night. I'll try to post some pictures and show the carnage, although it could have been worse. I checked your area a few times and it was always a few degrees colder than here but I never saw what the low was? How low did your temperature get?

buffy- pretty amazing. You're situated in a nice little area it sounds like! I thought the effects of cold damage are pretty immediate (2-3 days or so)?

Out west a low of 20 is nothing for a W. robusta, they can even take heavy damage and recover in a single growing season piece of cake. I've seen them bounce back from temps way lower than that in SW Utah. My only concern is that yours are so recently transplanted and the nature of your freezes is very different than the brief radiational, dry, freezes of the west. Anyway, best if luck, I'll look forward to seeing the outcome of this.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

It is way too early to give an accurate assessment. .....but just walking around the yard some things look damaged but maybe not dead. The big sabal is still a darker green than normal....but the color is consistent throughout. ...maybe just a temp reaction to the cold...I hope. Kens tall alba looks burnt...but I learned not to give up on albas as they come back from complete defoliation. ..strangely the smaller alba from Fishbranch shows no sign of stress.

My Washingtonia filibusta fried from 19 degrees last night. These were installed this past summer and are about 15 ft tall. I can smell their frost burn just by walking by. The Butia, Pheonix Canariensis, Livistona Chinensis, Sabal, and Syragrus have zero damage so far. We'll see what happens when it warms up this weekend.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

All of my palms seem to have survived the blast. The most damage wasn't from the cold but from all the rain we have had. One of my Butia and a Chamaerops humilis (green form) spear pulled. Both are still green and untouched from the cold. The tallest Washingtonia already had damage from previous frosts received more damage than I would have liked but looks like it will be ok. The sheets I used didn't stay in place the first night due to the wind being so strong. The trunk was wrapped with a thick blanket just above the growth bud which held on perfectly. I replaced the sheets back over the top for the second night and it stayed put this time though it already smelled frost burnt. Not sure of exactly how low it got here but it was 11F when I woke up Tuesday morning. Will be posting some pics shortly.