IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potentially cold week for Florida next week

SubTropicRay

33 here this morning a lot of frost on the grass and cars frozen over. Satellite Beach 45 min north of me was 42 this morning lucky beachside microclimate.

post-6650-0-55002700-1390135975_thumb.jp

The interior of south central and south Florida were colder than most of north central and north Florida last night/this morning.

My low was exactly 30 degrees. My buddy who lives 400 feet from Lake June bottomed out at 40 degrees (proving the old axiom: There's no substitute for water to help keep up low temperatures on radiational cooling nights).

I checked many FAWN weather station sites for low temperatures this morning as follows:

Sebring: 30.88 degrees at 4:30 a.m.

Palmdale: 26.98 degrees at 6:15 a.m.

Okeechobee: 25.83 at 6:00 a.m.

Homestead: 34.32 at 7:00

Immokalee: 28/.51 at 5:30 a.m.

Belle Glade: 29.57 at 7:30 a.m.

Clewiston: 31.26 at 6:00 a.m.

Arcadia: 28.67 at 6:30 a.m.

Mad about palms

CORRECTION ON THE FROST - none in my yard but down the street the open field was covered. Odd how my yard stays frost free. The 38.2F reading of a low was near the house, and checked the yard temp it was 37F. So, my zone is higher than Okeechobee or Glades counties? lol I'm like 150 mi N. Classic radiation cooling. :sick:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

CORRECTION ON THE FROST - none in my yard but down the street the open field was covered. Odd how my yard stays frost free. The 38.2F reading of a low was near the house, and checked the yard temp it was 37F. So, my zone is higher than Okeechobee or Glades counties? lol I'm like 150 mi N. Classic radiation cooling. :sick:

Yes....for one night we are a higher zone :-) lol.

The other 364 days are the problem!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

41.5F this morning, now 68. Can't complain.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

32.1 F at 5:19AM this is as close to freezing you can get while being above freezing. Dodged another bullet.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Keep an eye out for Wed night/thurs morning. This frontal passage looks to have a few more teeth than the last several. This will likely be the coldest since all that polar vortex crap from a few weeks ago.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

How much water do yall think it takes to help with radiation cooling..... I am on a 40 foot deep pond, but its only about 50 yards wide and about 300 yards long.

How much water do yall think it takes to help with radiation cooling..... I am on a 40 foot deep pond, but its only about 50 yards wide and about 300 yards long.

I think you'll find that very close to the water if the air is dead calm it will be measurably warmer. The effect will rapidly diminish with distance from the water.

This holds true even on the Gulf. A friend of mine in Clearwater Beach during the cold snap 4 years ago lost the Adonidias on the street side of his house but those on the back side near the water survived (albeit with some ugly fronds).

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I concur. Models are pushing COLD for this one, particularly with radiational cooling effect. It might be our coldest yet. Any warmup coming? I am waiting on that warmup! :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Got it. This morning our local weather station was at 41, but I had dense fog in my yard 50 feet from the pond with no wind. I bet this fog was warmer than 41. Probably doesn't take much wind to diminish the effect though. And, the problem is that when there is no wind, we form massive amounts of frost. I should plant a marginal palm leaning out over the water to see the effect. :hmm: