IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NEW POLICY RE: EDIT/DELETE

PALM MOD

When a post is edited significantly or deleted altogether, it changes the context of all the subsequent replies. In some cases it renders them meaningless.

Because this is occuring with increasing frequency, members will no longer be able to delete posts, and will have only 30 minutes in which to edit. This policy is much more in line with the majority of forums on the web.

If you need to correct something factual, post a correction. If you just regret what you said, or the way in which you said it, try apologizing as you would in real life. If you feel it is important enough to delete or edit something after the 30 minutes, PM me, and if it doesn't materially affect the thread, I can take care of it.

But the best solution is to use the preview feature, and to think before you speak (post).

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Makes sense as a general policy.

Any chance of the exception to the rule being the "freeze data" forum? Some folks, myself included,  have been editing with more recent information to reflect the damage to palms that didn't show up for some time...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Dave,

I would if I could, but it's an all or none thing with this software.

If you PM me your edited post, I will gladly cut and paste it for you.

Dean,

Sounds good.... and thanks again for your work as moderator... I know I appreciate a well run board such as this.

Dave

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Oh no, noiw everyone will see the spelling mistakes and missing punctuation that I don't notice in time.  Time to hire a proof reader.

The reasons for the policy make good sense though and if it's been more than half an hour, it's been more than enough time for at least one person to read the post and an edit wouldn't alert that person to any changes in the thread.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

If only my wife gave me thirty minutes to alter, delete, and redact...

That's why palms have become my mistress. They're more forgiving.

ashton

thats life.some things that you say that you wish you could be taken back cannot be.its the end of an era.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Not really Paul. You can always beg the Moderator. Everything has a price. :)

i will probably be doing my fair share of that :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(IPSPTModerator @ Feb. 06 2007,23:42)

Not really Paul. You can always beg the Moderator. Everything has a price. :)

This sounds a little like extortion!

PALM EXTORTION! :laugh:

Paul, has he had a EYE on some of your palms/ plant material? :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I personally feel that members should have the right to

edit but not delete the thread.

and should not have time barr feature limit of 30 minutes or so.

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

This is a 180 º turn, that I do not appreciate.

If we can't edit, then the forum is a written "book". I like to post messages freely, but I do not write books everyday.

Carlo

...And now I won't be able to edit this anymore.... go little post, go toward eternity.

I can understand why those who speak English as a second language dislike a policy of limited editing. I hope that you, in turn, understand the reasoning behind why almost all forums have such a policy.

I would not be opposed to unlimited editing of spelling and/or gramatical corrections. However, I do oppose altering (of deleting) a complete post so everything that follows makes little sense. And we can't have one without the other.

Kris and Carlo, you make it sound as if editing is no longer possible? I offered to insert any corrections, additions, etc. for you as long as it doesn't affect the integrity of the topic/thread.

Granted, it may be a little more trouble. It is for me as well. But if it is important enough to you, I will see that it gets done. It would help me if you provided a link to the thread, and provided the correction (modification) in a manner that I can easily copy and paste.

You know, I seem to catch my grammar and typing mistakes right after I post most of the time. I'll think I have it and then glance at the post and rush back in to untangle a sentance.

Dean - any way to add a spell check feature?!

:)

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

(Randy @ Feb. 10 2007,20:58)

Dean - any way to add a spell check feature?!

:)

Randy,

If I had one wish..................................

It is possible, but I am pretty sure I can't swing it with this software. The short answer is, I have been doing some research.

However, IMPORTANT INFO TO FOLLOW...................

If you use Firefox, you can set it up to spell check everything you type on the web, including forums. It's not like MS Word, but is very useful.

That´s the reason I couldn´t edit some gramatical errors on a previous post of mine today :( ....I tried twice and was confused why it wasn´t working.

My posts will look more´´idiot´´ after this! :D Sometimes I only ´´feel´´ or see that something is wrong in a sentence or word when I read it again one day later!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!