IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern hemisphere summer

Tyrone

The lack of rain is frustrating me a bit.... Have been watering a lot and palms are pretty happy but it is extremely time consuming and could be expensive for me!! Rain means time and money for me currently!! Please let it rain soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Palm Tree growing, it's not the hardiness of the palm tree itself that is more important, tis the hardiness of the palm tree grower that is called into question and that alone remains paramount to the success of palm tree cultivation, the awareness, promotion and appreciation of.........Watty O'Diamond 1967..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tuesday 21 January
Summary Min 23 Max 36 Partly cloudy. Chance of any rain: 10%rain_10.gif Rainfall amount: 0 to 0.2 mm Brisbane area

Hot. Mostly sunny morning. The chance of showers and thunderstorms in the west during the afternoon and evening. Winds north to northeasterly 20 to 30 km/h.

Fire Danger - Very High

UV Alert from 7:50 am to 4:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 14 [Extreme]

Around Brisbane Precis Icon Location Min Max Brisbane 23 36 Brisbane Airport 23 32 Beaudesert 20 39 Chermside 22 36 Gatton 20 41 Ipswich 21 39 Logan Central 22 35 Manly 24 32 Mount Gravatt 21 36 Oxley 22 38 Redcliffe 23 33

Wednesday 22 January
Summary Min 24 Max 35 Chance of a storm. Brisbane area

Hot. Partly cloudy. Scattered showers from the early afternoon, more frequent in the south. Isolated thunderstorms from the early afternoon. Winds northerly 15 to 20 km/h turning east to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h in the afternoon.

Thursday 23 January
Summary Min 24 Max 31 Shower or two. Brisbane area

Partly cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds east to northeasterly and light increasing to 15 to 20 km/h during the morning.

Friday 24 January
Summary Min 23 Max 30 Chance of a storm. Brisbane area

Cloudy. Isolated showers. Isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon and evening. Winds east to southeasterly and light tending east to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the morning then becoming north to northeasterly and light during the afternoon.

Saturday 25 January
Summary Min 23 Max 35 Chance of a storm. Brisbane area

Hot. Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms later in the day. Winds north to northwesterly and light tending north to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning.

Sunday 26 January
Summary Min 24 Max 33 A few showers. Brisbane area

Cloudy. Scattered showers. Isolated thunderstorms during the morning. Winds southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h.

Going to be a hot few days... I hope the forecast showers and storms eventuate...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

38.7C today and still 30C outside at just after 10.30pm. Certainly the hottest part of the year is upon us. I'm watering like crazy.

Forecast

Tue 20-38C

Wed 23-38C

Thu 22-36C

Fri 20-34C

Sat 21-35C

Sun 23-32C

Mon 20-31C

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Something to stir this thread up a little. My January rain total is 782.4 mm. And the first day of February has produced another 124.4 mm. My place has adopted the characteristics of a rice paddy (apart from all the trees). Of course not a lot by Wet Tropics standards but we're Equatorial Savanna, not Equatorial Rainforest.

Nice total! Please send some this way...I am beginning to think we are Mediterranean now...

32mm in my garden for January...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Summer is coming to an end, the sun came overhead here yesterday and will now be making it's way into the northern hemisphere. The system that brought the torrential rain here over the last month has moved over the Kimberley and Pilbara and flooded them out. It's moving south and then to the east, most likely still carring a lot of water. By next weekend there should be rain through the bushfire areas. On the bad side the weather Bureau is predicting El Nino conditions to develop later in the year. So looks like drought-like conditions are going to persist in the longer term in the east.

Boooo! Terrible news. Mind you, they also predicted a wetter than average summer and that was but a pipe dream. Oh well. Time to get that second tank installed in the near future

We could do with a little rain around here...less than 75mm since July...it's all wearing a bit thin really!

Daryl

Had plenty of the stuff here, the ground is boggy and some places I might have to plant Nypa !!!............just hope it dries out enough so I can get on the ride on mower without bogging it !!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Got a nice little soaking here around 1am thru to 7am off and on, enough to give the garden and lawn a good drink, never say no to more

All of the rain keeps missing us down here, and BrisV seems to be getting it! Too many times have I left the Valley with it pouring, only to get home to find it bone dry...we have had a grand total of 5mm since my last post....wow! So much for the wettest month of the year...

Plenty of palm deaths and ill-health here...they must have got a bit soft from the last couple of years of reasonable rainfall...went for a walk around the street today and the story is worse in your average yard where people don't even try to save their palms...

Look at this...the grass everywhere is this colour...look at all of the Archontophoenix struggling...only thing that is happy is the Triangle...

post-42-0-92157500-1393146568_thumb.jpg

959 mm this month .. bit below avg.

pissing down now ..

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

959mm in a month below average. Pffffttt. :winkie:

It got to a tad over 32C here yesterday. This morning it was 18C with 98%RH. Only peaked at 25C with around 65% RH. There's more moisture on the south coast than in Perth that's for sure.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

You might have some pleasant surprises planting out there tyronne

I hope so. Had a bit of rain come through early this morning. It was heavy for a couple of minutes. That should keep the lawn green. :)

The sun has set on summer, although doesn't make too much difference here, we've still got about another couple of months of wet season to go. Well, officially 2 months, but we'll see what happens. So far I'm a bit ahead of average rainfall for the wet season, so far.

I heard on the tv news last night that Brisbane has just had its driest summer for 28 years, certainly felt like it too!! Hopefully early autumn brings us a bit more rain than we have had over the last 3 or even 6 months??

Id believe that. What I wouldn't give for a week of light to steady rain. Quite alot of things actually but you get the idea! Haha

Had a clear 36C day here today. So much for cool weather. It felt like Perth today and at 7.45pm it is still and 22C. Perth at the moment is 30C though. No rain forecast unfortunately. I planted out my Roystonea borinquena yesterday so it should have loved today's heat.

All this talk of hot weather is well and good, but on the Gold Coast we need rain, and lots of it. Looking at the observations for the GC seaway today, we've only had 80mm for the last two months. Which, by the way, are the two hottest damn months of the year.

My water bill is going to be .... well, i dont want to think about it.

Apparently northern NSW has had their driest summer in 110 years, and they got more rain than the Gold Coast...I have had 96mm since July...thanking the 15mm that we got today! The trouble is, most that we get is in dribs and drabs of 5mm and that is no good for the garden

Daryl

You may get some rain by next weekend. A tropical low looks like it will track south along the QLD coast and send rain as far south as Brissie on Saturday.

Had a good drop of rain last night - ended up with 18mm, which is the best fall we've had in quite a while. What did the rest of you guys in SEQld get ?

Finally had some good falls here...39.5mm in the last two days...a good start and that is more than we have had in total since last year.... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Forecast is looking really good for some much needed rain in SE QLD! Mid week looks like we will get the first real rain since July last year. Maybe the creek will start flowing again.

I had 30mm last night and I am expecting quite a bit more over the next couple of days.... This looks for real??

See you guys in the autumn thread when someone starts it.....