IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern hemisphere summer

Tyrone

Looks like another cyclone forming near Darwin early next week. Looks like it's coming west again. Maybe some tropical humidity and thunderstorms down here if we're lucky. It will need to go west of North West Cape to do that though. Here's hoping.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

43C on Saturday now. Oh heck!!!!

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I'm going to make sure that everything is well hydrated on Saturday.

Tyrone, your kentia palm won't enjoy 44c on saturday, I bet.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

No it won't. I don't even know if the Hyphaenes will even like it. I think I might just keep the water up all day. I don't think a max that high has ever been forecast before for Perth. It could even get hotter. I foresee mass plant deaths everywhere around Perth after this event. I'm glad I'm moving south this month.

That is hot Tyrone!! After our low 40's the other day there is definately noticeable plant damage around Brisbane, hope it stays a bit cooler than forecast!!

That is hot Tyrone!! After our low 40's the other day there is definately noticeable plant damage around Brisbane, hope it stays a bit cooler than forecast!!

Thanks mate. There will definitely be damage. I know some who planted some Magnolias in the middle of a large carpark surrounded by concrete and bitumen back in June and I told them they'll be toast in summer. We'll see if they fry on Saturday. I hope they don't for their sake, but I would never have planted them here in Perth except in a lawn or semi shady park somewhere.

Last year we got a 42C day and for months after that we had dead hedges at the big shopping centres around town. It seems that the maintenance guys tend to trim them regardless of the weather conditions. A hedge looks real bad with massive dead patches in it.

My plan on Saturday arvo is to hibernate inside next to the air con with an alcoholic beverage, only venturing outside to hand water things every hr or so. Oh and the Ceroxylons and Rhopies Peter just gave me will be watching telly with me. LOL

My experience is that every time the temps get over about 36C palms burn...not all species, but the more tropical ones or those from island climates. Doesn't seem to matter even if they are in partial shade. I think the leaf surfaces just get too hot. Before our last hot day we had a good 11 mm of rain and that was on top of me watering the more thirsty species a couple of days prior. Still didn't seem to make any difference, and even when it was 40C, the humidity was high (39%), so I can't blame dry air either...I touched the leaf surfaces on palms that weren't even getting full sun, and they were much hotter than the ambient air temp...

Here is Hyophorbe indica...severe burn from the other day...

post-42-0-60755600-1389309604_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Sorry to see the damage Daryl. My H indicas are under light canopy at the moment and are stretching towards breaks in the canopy. I've got to remove the canopy tree (neighbours complaining about the leaves) so hopefully the sun won't incinerate it when it's removed. I might wait for the weather to be on the cool down before I remove it.

I agree that some species in this sort of heat even under canopy with water can still suffer. I had a D lastelliana under full canopy getting plenty of water die on a 42C day with strong gusty winds. The winds did it in.

Yes, in the tropics, 36C and blue skies don't normally go together or exist at all. Even Darwin at those temps has a thin veil of ultra high clouds to filter the sun a bit. Not so in the southern areas. There are no multi layers of clouds up around 40000 ft and beyond. Just dark blue cloudless skies.

There is a section in my nursery that I cleared away some unwanted canopy last week ( Bauhinia and Strelitzia nicolai that had gone feral escaped their pots and threatened to undermine the house) I think I might string up some shade cloth to take the sting out of the sun in that area today.

39C on Sunday now after an overnight min of 27C. It could be another 40C plus day. Glad I've got the bore pump all up to 100% capacity. It will work it's butt off.

41C forecast for Sunday now. No longer the cool humid 35C change originally forecast for Sunday. A min of 28C forecast too. I see a record approaching.

Best wishes Tyrone. Although I see Albany is predicted to hit 36C on sunday (40% RH), and didn't you say your new spot is often 3-5C warmer? Maybe not as much of a break as you were hoping for! I guess the drop down to 21-23C for the next 4 days will make up for it! Forecast 27C high, 16C low on sunday here btw. We've gone above 30C once so far this summer, cooler summers do have some advantages.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

My plan on Saturday arvo is to hibernate inside next to the air con with an alcoholic beverage, only venturing outside to hand water things every hr or so. Oh and the Ceroxylons and Rhopies Peter just gave me will be watching telly with me. LOL

Great plan only thing your missing is cricket, might be an ODI if your lucky?? Have you got a sprinkler? Best to just move that around every half hour?

Last summer we had a 46c day, which was the hottest ever for Sydney.

It finished off a kauri pine (Agathis sp.)in the botanic gardens which had been previously damaged by bats ( I was told this by one of the staff there when I was doing volunteer mulching of the palm grove)

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Looks like Perth is going to hit 44c today!

Secret Harbour 38c, the afternoon winds normally cool things down a little.

Where I am, it is heading for a top of 29c, possible thunderstorms, 74% humidity.

Looks like Perth is going to hit 44c today!

Secret Harbour 38c, the afternoon winds normally cool things down a little.

Where I am, it is heading for a top of 29c, possible thunderstorms, 74% humidity.

You're not in WA that's for sure.

Just shy of 40C at 12.30pm. Swanbourne is nearly 41C which is interesting as it's right on the ocean. The wind is still easterly. When it swings to the NE then the real heat will begin.

Mandurah on the coast hit 41.6C, Swanbourne right on the beach 44.3C!!!! My area hit 43.4C. Even Bickley at elevation hit 41C. Garden Island hit 41C. It's surrounded by ocean. Sea breeze isn't in yet here and may not get in this far at all today. It may still get hotter. It's cooled down to 42.8C at the moment.

5pm and still 42.9C. It maxed out a 43.5C at 4.30.

There is a young magpie drinking water from my bromeliads in the front yard. Poor thing.

Went out for tea and a movie tonight with friends. The car was saying 43C outside temp at 6.30pm. Just came back home at midnight and it was saying 35C!!!!!!

The overnight minimum was just shy of 30C. At 8.40am it was already up to 39C.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/perth-endures-hottest-night-on-record/26376

41C forecast max reached at 9.20am. Still in northerlies. This is going to go higher.

Scorcher!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It finally hit 43C by 10am. Never had such high heat so early in the morning before.

On Sunday we drove down to Albany. We left just before 10am with 44C on the car's thermometer. As we headed south through the metro area the sea breeze kicked in and we cooled into the high 30's. Then when we headed up into the hills and further away from the coast the temp just climbed back into the 40's, sitting for most of the journey at 44C, but sometimes lifting to 45C. It stayed that way until we got south of Mt Barker only 50kms from the southern ocean. The sea breeze was very strong and by the time we hit Albany it was 31C. They had a maximum of 37C which is scorching for them. It was an amazing pocket of hot air on the weekend. It's now harassing Adelaide.

Parts of Adelaide have hit 46C today!!!!!!

Avalon in Melbourne hit 45C!!!!!

:(

How are our Melbourne members going?

Wow, it is still hot in Adelaide...46C (115F) in some areas today and it is still 35C (95F) at 11:45pm.

Melbourne was 43C (110F) today and is still 29.5C (85F) at midnight local time. Inland Victoria was also hot with temps up to 46C.

The hot weather is also closing in on Sydney which was 39C in the western suburbs today and in SW NSW it got up to 45C

Definitely a lot of hot air in southern Australia currently!

Yes, I wouldn't want to be in Adelaide at the moment. Probably the hottest place on Earth right now.

Great to see the "Wet season" has finally got started in the Top end and FNQ and yes its been "very hot" in the deep south, pretty much a "green drought" here.( pastures are green but creeks running very slowly and gardens 'need watering") 28c last few days and for the next week, looks like the long dry summer will continue and Autumn will be the "Wet Season" ?

Pete :)

After the 38C yesterday, we're back to 39C today. Starting early today to clean out my nursery.

Hit 40C today.

Hard to believe I can hear thunder, its been so long :)

What is, is, if it rains it rains, Ive forgotten the noise of rain on the roof :) I can only smile thanks to our water supply.

Pete :)