IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Director Jim Cain

realarch

Just received this stunning email from Director Horace Hobbs. A sad day indeed.

Tim

"Our esteemed Director, Past President, and Palms Supplement Editor Jim Cain passed away unexpectedly today of heart failure. Liz is surrounded by family and was at least comfortable enough to call me with the news. I will pass on additional information when it becomes available."

Horace

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I am absolutely shocked and terribly saddened to hear these very unexpected news. For as long as I have been on the Board, Jim has always provided a voice of reason and experience, and the work he has done for the IPS is probably unmatched by anyone in recent memory. He will indeed be missed by all of us. My most sincere condolences to Liz and family and friends.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

In the short time I knew him, he impressed me with his ready smile, hard work and can do attitude. Truly a sad day for all of us.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I am completely stunned by this sad news. My heart goes out to Liz and her family. I have always admired Jim's organized mind and pure common sense, as well as his wry sense of humor. This is a huge blow. He did so much for the IPS, was well-liked and highly respected by members around the world. To say he will be greatly missed is a huge understatement.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Umm Wow. I saw this and could not believe the title or the news.. I enjoyed talking with Jim whenever I could. Truly an asset. Sadly, it took this for me to know Liz was connected. I never put 2 and 2 together. My condolensces to her and the whole family.

Was he at the latest directors meeting?

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, Jim's wife is Liz Cain, not to be confused with Liz Stansfeld.

Jim and Liz Cain enjoying the dining room at Inkaterra Amazonicas resort in Peru in October of this year:

post-216-0-26559400-1385869730_thumb.jpg

Another shot during an orientation prior to a rainforest walk, Jim and his wife Liz at center. Great people.

post-216-0-70317800-1385869799_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thank You for the info Kim.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Having worked with Jim these last few years, I knew he could be a bit crusty, but he was always forthcoming with help and highly insightful advice when it was needed, and would go the extra mile when he wanted to help the IPS or some individual. He was one our best problem solvers in a variety of things, and acted to damp down disputes of various kinds with excellent and pertinent advice. I am beginning to realize what a large role in IPS activities he filled. He was the one who compiled the quarterly supplement, and he coordinated the activities of the Endowment Committee. In many previous biennials, he was the registration chairman, requiring a lot of coordination and record keeping, but he was always in control of it and ready with a report when asked. Was he registration chairman this year for the Miami Biennial?

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Oh dear, I was communicating with Jim a few days ago, so very sorry to hear, I met him last year, a real nice guy. He will be missed.

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I met him in Thailand but we never spoke with each other. I was impressed with his soft smile and the way he looked at people. He must have been a great human being. My condolences to the family and friends. Rafael

• Upvote 2

I am shocked and saddened to wake up this morning to hear this news. Jim was a huge asset to the IPS as long as I can remember and will be sorely missed. My sincere condolences goes out to Liz and their family and friends.

Jeff

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This news blew Miriam and me away last night. I had a tremendous amount of admiration for Jim and his love of the IPS. Besides all things IPS, Jim was just a really good person. What you saw is what you got. This news is very shocking and saddening to us. IPS Biennials will never be the same without his smiling face. Our condolences go out to Liz and the entire Cain family.

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

To say that I am in a state of shock would be a vast understatement! I knew Jim for 20 years and his dedication and service to the IPS knew no bounds. I considered him a good friend and his loss will have an effect on all who knew him. Patty and I send our deepest condolences to Liz and the rest of the Cain family. He will be greatly missed!

• Upvote 1

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

It is with a heavy heart that I say good bye to Jim Cain.

To learn of Jim's sudden passing this morning I found myself in disbelief and sorrow.

Jim was a great man and a real pleasure to be around both working and socializing.

I will always cherish the many great times we spent together and the keen wit and sence of humor Jim always had.

He was a key resource of the IPS and his work and efforts will not be forgotten or easily replaced.

I pray for the Cain family and wish Liz the best for the future.

Jim will always be remembered for the lives he touched and the friends he made.

God's speed my friend!

• Upvote 1

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Friday I called Liz and Jim to wish them happy holidays but no one answered

Liz, Saturday night he was here as I slept and I know he is in Good Hands

He has been a friend for four decades and he always came from a place of unconditional love

He is loved by us all as you are as well

He has not left us behind because he is in our hearts

He has been important in helping many of us be who we are

We will all be together again

That is for sure because love is the one thing that is eternal

Aloha oe

Norman and Voltaire

• Upvote 1

Norman Bezona

I heard about Jim's passing last night from a fellow IPS member. I was shocked and deeply saddened. I've known him for over twenty years, mostly through our mutual involvement with the IPS Board. I succeeded him as President and learned a lot from not only our interaction together but also through his participation and comments at meetings. He was a great President and person and will be sincerely missed. Many of you may not know, but he was instrumental when we started up Palm Talk about fifteen to twenty years ago. Of course, it had a different name but evolved into what you enjoy today. So, everyone should be giving thanks to Jim. And, during his tenure, he arranged several great Biennials including a meeting in Venezuela. As a leader of our group and an individual, he was second to none.

My deepest sympathies go to Liz and the Cain family. You couldn't know Jim without seeing Liz a lot and getting to know both of them. They always went to meetings together and loved having fun at the Biennials.

Jim, we're all going to miss and remember you.

Phil Bergman

• Upvote 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I can't believe it either. I had the pleasure of communicating with Jim a few times before last year's biennial and finally met him in Thailand. What a great guy. My sincere condolences to Liz and the rest of the Cain family.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

I am still reeling from the news. Jim was such a positive person, with a warm smile and clarion voice. He was charming, generous, and full of good humor. His contributions to the IPS are too many to mention. The IPS lost a great man.

• Upvote 2

Scott Zona, Ph.D.
USA

It was requested of me to post the following photo of Jim "enjoying" (I was told he was not all that comfortable up that high) himself "at the last board meeting at the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica jungle Lodge about an hour and a half outside of Puerto Maldonado in the Amazon. This a was a canopy tour on seven hanging bridges."

Photo by Faith Bishock - submitted by Grant Stephenson

post-430-0-11908000-1386109961_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.