IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal oregana

turfpro01

I picked up a few 5g palms labeled Sabal oregano, Cant find any thing about them anywhere. There was a huge 24" box one with really blue huge leaves, I know I should have took a pic. The 5g where all really aqua blue looking, Much bluer than the sabal uresana's I already have that thought where pretty blue. So I think theses come from a select tree of sabal uresana. The grower who would know has passed away, so I cant ask him. Thanks for any help.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen this Sabal mentioned anywhere, including the monograph, which has a long list of obscure Sabal names in the back. My guess - someone misspelled "uresana"

• Upvote 2

:hmm: .......pictures when you get a chance...sounds interesting

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I think your right about the misspelling. I see now how a U could be O and s be a g from a hand written tag. Then some one printed tags. I didn't even think about that. I guess the mystery is solved.

I think your right about the misspelling. I see now how a U could be O and s be a g from a hand written tag. Then some one printed tags. I didn't even think about that. I guess the mystery is solved.

Lots of "unusual" fruit varieties come into existence this way. Someone can't spell or read someone's tag, and a new variety is born. it's worse when a nursery gets a hold of palms with badly written labels. Then entire new species of palms come into cultivation - well not really, same old palms under new names.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive an old post - but I saw Sabal oregana offered by a local palm grower also.

Ryan, I wonder if we went to the same palm grower here just south of Fresno. The grower had a number of Sabals (uresana, yapa, riverside, minor, mauritiformis, maritima, bermudana...) and she also carried... you guessed it! Sabal oregana. She was very adamant that this was a different sabal, and not uresana. She mentioned it was from seed collected in Mexico.

Here is a picture of one she is growing in the ground. This thing is HUGE, and very blue. The blue was more vivid than the uresana she had in the ground also. The picture is a bit warped because I used the "panorama" setting on my phone which stitches multiple frames into one picture. It was impossible to get this whole palm in one picture without using this setting. 

20161111_135924.thumb.jpg.17d44e2798b873

• Upvote 5

Huge, Sabal, & blue in the same sentence sounds just like an Uresana to me. The one in the picture looks to have been dug or damaged.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps it was a boxed palm, at one time, that outgrew its container.  Later, the box was removed.  I bought a large Sabal a few years that had exploded through the box, and partially rooted into the ground.

It definitely looks a lot like Uresana, but maybe a specimen with more blue in it. Next time i see her I'll ask her what difference there is between this "oregana" and her other Uresana - aside from the price difference...

And I'm pretty sure it was grown in a box and it just rooted into the ground. She grows most of her palms in boxes. This was in her private garden though, not in the nursery section, maybe when she noticed it was rooted she decided to leave it in place. 

This palm busted out of the box and is rooted there.  They used to have a Sabal uresana labeled 'Select Blue' but no longer appear to have any.  Her husband (who passed away a few years ago) was much more knowledgeable.  Uresana is my fastest Sabal here in the valley heat, but the particular palm in the picture is a rocket.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

In a situation like that, I buy now, figure it out later.

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

10 hours ago, iwan said:

This palm busted out of the box and is rooted there.  They used to have a Sabal uresana labeled 'Select Blue' but no longer appear to have any.  Her husband (who passed away a few years ago) was much more knowledgeable.  Uresana is my fastest Sabal here in the valley heat, but the particular palm in the picture is a rocket.

Iwan, any pictures of your Uresana? I'm considering planting one, but don't know if I have the space for a palm with such big trunk! I already have S. Yapa so adding another big palm might exceed my quota :/

3 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

I like the way you think! haha

2 hours ago, Sabal Steve said:

Jdiaz,

Could we see a pic of your S. Yapa?  In my opinion, that's the nicest Sabal.

This is it! It's only been in the ground a week. (The metal "art" will probably be removed. It was a clothesline post in a past life). Notice the blue on the underside of the leaves. This palm was greenhouse grown in full shade, so maybe it'll get more of a vibrant blue with some sun. 

20161115_133619.thumb.jpg.f498aba348d47d20161115_133654.thumb.jpg.91dfe6cd3a7282

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

No compare this to the blue on mauritiformis! If mauritiformis keeps the vibrancy of its blue, and yapa doesn't color up a bit more with more sun, Mauritiformis wins in the color category. 

20161115_133938.thumb.jpg.5ad93af2dd18e6

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Iwan, any pictures of your Uresana? I'm considering planting one, but don't know if I have the space for a palm with such big trunk! I already have S. Yapa so adding another big palm might exceed my quota :/

Edited by iwan
updated

Robert

9A

It appears that I do not have any pictures of the "Select Blue" I purchased from them or my larger uresana (from the old Nickel Palm Nursery). 

If you have limited space, one of those other Sabals would be very unusual for the valley.  With the Fresno heat island you should have better luck with them than I did in the country.  I have had no problems with either of my uresana down to 19.8F.

Robert

9A

• 2 weeks later...

Josue, here you go.  The "Select Blue" was planted in Feb 2013 from a one leaf 1 gal.  It was rooted in their grow house and went into severe shock (defoliated except for the newly emerged spear), but it is growing like a rocket for a Sabal.  It is more blue in the summer, but not as blue as Bizmarkia.  It is currently about 3-4' tall (12 yards of soil in the background for reference).

My Sabal uresana (sorry for the weeds) was planted in April 2010 from a 5 gal and is about 10' tall now and growing like crazy.  It seems to be doubling in size each year.  It is strongly costapalmate and more blue than the "Select Blue" at this stage.  The "Select Blue" shows only slight costapalmate traits.

DSCN1790 (Custom).jpg

DSCN1821 (Custom).jpg

DSCN1830.jpg

DSCN1819 (Custom).jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Robert

9A

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2016, 9:53:22, iwan said:

If you have limited space, one of those other Sabals would be very unusual for the valley.  With the Fresno heat island you should have better luck with them than I did in the country.  I have had no problems with either of my uresana down to 19.8F.

On 11/15/2016, 5:00:16, Keith in SoJax said:

Well, I did it! I acquired a 5-gallon S. "oregana" in a trade. Pics to follow soon! 

Robert, It'll be interesting to compare my newly acquired "oregana" to your select blue and uresana since we're growing them just miles apart. 

This is my newly acquired sabal "oregana". It's likely a misnomer for uresana but for the sake of confirming this, i thought I'd share photos as it matures.

20161229_180002.thumb.jpg.064c552f730ff1

Looks like it's ready to go into the ground!

It could very well be a S. uresana (young Sabal species are notorious difficult to distinguish), and if it is, give it plenty of room.  This is as big as any Sabal out there, and the trunk can easily be 3 feet wide, especially with remaining leaf bases.  And, of course, full sun.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2016, 6:35:58, The Steve said:

You got good taste brutha'.

Here a a few interesting threads on palmtalk regarding the two.

And here's a pic of a few that I had. 

582bc56621fde_Picture1.png.fae700ce29b6e

I wish I had room for both...

you can come visit yours at my garden anytime Steve :)

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

20 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

This is my newly acquired sabal "oregana". It's likely a misnomer for uresana but for the sake of confirming this, i thought I'd share photos as it matures.

20161229_180002.thumb.jpg.064c552f730ff1

Looks nice!

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/30/2016, 2:36:00, PalmTreeDude said:

Looks nice!

Thanks, my "oregana" (uresana) went in the ground this morning! it'll be partly shaded by my neighbor's massive oak tree so I'm hoping for some really long petioles. 

20170129_202126.thumb.jpg.c609551a0470fe

• Upvote 2