IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter weather

Palm crazy

Had my first heavy frost this morning at 30F, colder tonight into the upper 20’s. Tender flowering plants/palms are inside for the winter.

This cold spell is supposed to last to the end of the week. Good bye banana, ginger, canna leaves. There always the first to go any ways. LOL!

Really cold at my house! 26 degrees two nights ago and 21 degrees last night. This will be a good test for my transplants, my smaller potted ones and my seedlings.

Nervous time has begun...

Kelly it got down to 27F here last night and here is my growing season this year….last Spring freeze March 25, to first Fall freeze November 20 = 238 days of growing season. Tonight should be the same or slightly warmer, either way it was a good growing season. B)

Lots of sunshine this week.

Your trachy’s should be fine, but time will tell if it gets colder or not.

Edited by Palm crazy

Ya, I think they'll be OK. Just worried about the transplanted ones with their short time in the ground at my house. They've been through worse where they were before, but it sure would be nice to have a mild winter for their first one in their new "digs"...

I'm gonna keep track of the days in the growing season, never thought of that...

Well the cold spell was pretty long three nights at 27F/-2.7C the rest of the cold will slowly warm up, at least the daytime has been in the mid 40’s.

Here some frost pics from the garden.

Garage roof.

DSC00005-1_zps75321ece.jpg

L. chinensis showing some morning frost tissue color change but notice theres no frost on the leaves just cold.

DSC00048_zpsd5aacf43.jpg

This trachy has lots of frost since it more in the open.

DSC00030_zps822b050e.jpg

These Chamaedorea radicals are very hardy and having a little canopy above really helps.

DSC00035_zpsf9699f03.jpg

Banana are done for the season.

DSC00023_zpsfac8abe8.jpg

How cool would it be to actually have banana with black leaves…?

DSC00032_zps89d8d064.jpg

This cordyline is show lots of freeze stress.

DSC00021_zpsf6c520c8.jpg

Later in the day, you’d never know it was freezing.

DSC00002_zps44e38a37.jpg

Cordyline red star (one of the most hardy) is showing some serious leaf frost.

DSC00040_zpsb4b48714.jpg

Eight feet away is another one with no damage at all. Microclimate really help thats why it always good to take a walk around your place when it cold to spot those special warm areas.

DSC00044_zpsbb308f5e.jpg

This fuchsia is very tender to frost 31 degrees will kill it back to the ground.

DSC00005_zps404d8f5c.jpg

This abutilon is one of the hardiest plants around not even fazed by the cold.

DSC00018_zps8da9bf08.jpg

The end.

Edited by Palm crazy

What do you do with your banana trees? Do you cut them down, cover them, leave them be???

Edited by Buckleshoot

What do you do with your banana trees? Do you cut them down, cover them, leave them be???

I do not protect them, they are large clumps so I just let the leave hang down and in March I cut off the dead leaves. No need to cut them back either thats a waste of trunk.

Oh man that's hard to watch.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Oh man that's hard to watch.

Only three more months (DJF) and I can relax and say, ‘the garden is safe and made it through another winter’. Doesn’t get cold enough in March to kill any plants.

Hopefully it will warm up some next month, LOL! Could use a nice pineapple express in Dec.

Winter seems early this year, the North Bay and deep mountain valleys in the costal ranges here in Central and Northern California have already seen near freezing temperatures. The Gulf coast and parts of Texas have also seen real hard cold. In the inland Southeast US at 35-36N daytime temps are barely above freezing and overnight temps are below freezing.

This has been the coldest Fall I can remember. I grow medlars, which require chill to ripen properly. Usually, these don't ripen until early January. This year, it's not even December and they're almost done. We've already clocked some 100 hours of chill, quite unusual this early in the year.

We need rain, at this rate it's not looking good for relief from the drought this Winter. Last Winter the rain stopped after Jan. This year it hasn't even started yet. Instead of a solid jet stream, we're getting meandering cut-off lows off the coast that dance with the East Pacific high. That scenario just don't amount to much rain, at most a 1/2 inch here and there. There's no sign that this pattern will break anytime soon.

Another (bigger) cold snap is headed my way this week, looking at 18F-22F for many nights and low 30’s for highs this coming week.

Heading over to goodwill to get some blankets since they’re having 50% off sale and need something to keep the plants warmer.

650x366_11281419_hd22.jpg

This arctic blast is going to effect much more than me it seem….

Now let’s lay out the magnitude of the cold by region.

• Pacific Northwest: Highs will be stuck in the 30s from Tuesday through much of next week in western Washington and western Oregon. Lows will be in the 20s, with some teens. Some daily record lows may be threatened.
  • California: This will easily be the coldest air of the season, with highs barely reaching into the low 50s in the Bay Areaand struggling to rise out of the upper 50s in L.A. and San Diego by mid-to-late week. Lows in the 20s are possible in the Central Valley. Some morning lows near or below freezing are also possible in parts of the high deserts of Southern California and interior parts of the Bay Area such as Santa Rosa and Napa by mid-to-late week. Some daily record lows may be threatened in Northern California.
  • Great Basin: Highs in the 20s or low 30s will be common by mid-week. Lows in the teens, single digits, or locally subzero will settle in.
  • Desert Southwest: Highs may not rise out of the 50s in Phoenix and may struggle to climb out of the 40s in Las Vegas by Thursday. A freeze is possible in the Vegas Valley late in the week.
  • Northern/Central Rockies & Plains: Highs in the single digits and teens will spread from Montana Tuesday to the Northern Plains Wednesday and Thursday. Subzero morning lows will spread from the northern Rockies into the Dakotas and northwest Minnesota by Thursday.
  • From Weather Underground.

• Pacific Northwest: Highs will be stuck in the 30s from Tuesday through much of next week in western Washington and western Oregon. Lows will be in the 20s, with some teens. Some daily record lows may be threatened.
  • California: This will easily be the coldest air of the season, with highs barely reaching into the low 50s in the Bay Areaand struggling to rise out of the upper 50s in L.A. and San Diego by mid-to-late week. Lows in the 20s are possible in the Central Valley. Some morning lows near or below freezing are also possible in parts of the high deserts of Southern California and interior parts of the Bay Area such as Santa Rosa and Napa by mid-to-late week. Some daily record lows may be threatened in Northern California.
  • Great Basin: Highs in the 20s or low 30s will be common by mid-week. Lows in the teens, single digits, or locally subzero will settle in.
  • Desert Southwest: Highs may not rise out of the 50s in Phoenix and may struggle to climb out of the 40s in Las Vegas by Thursday. A freeze is possible in the Vegas Valley late in the week.
  • Northern/Central Rockies & Plains: Highs in the single digits and teens will spread from Montana Tuesday to the Northern Plains Wednesday and Thursday. Subzero morning lows will spread from the northern Rockies into the Dakotas and northwest Minnesota by Thursday.

Misery loves company, eh?

Edit: bracing myself for the blast, although the forecasts are moving the brunt of this further inland away from the coast. I still have my fingers crossed I won't need to bother with protecting anything, but I am not counting on it.

Misery loves company, eh?

Edit: bracing myself for the blast, although the forecasts are moving the brunt of this further inland away from the coast. I still have my fingers crossed I won't need to bother with protecting anything, but I am not counting on it.

Axel, yeah this cold spell is pretty big but I think it won’t be to bad for me… looking warmer in the day than expected but still a major cold spell. Heating back up here is going to be very slow process.

I dout it will get cold here to set anything back but I’m not taking any chances and so plan on covering up what ever I can with what ever I can find…LOL!

First layer of protection agaves rain cover…even though this is suppose to be a dry cold spell. You can see my leaf mulch in place too.

DSC00101_zpsce321e24.jpg

They look like ice cubes in the garden.

Edited by Palm crazy

It'll be a rough week here next week.

Dropping into mid to high twenties for at least a few consecutive mornings.

Love the cordylines ....how hardy are they....always assumed they were wimps.

We have had a nice warmup here...yesterday was beach weather. Looks like a repeat today. Got to go get a Christmas tree today.....hello December.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I am going to deploy propane heaters today and get the scaffolding in place. Thur and fri will be horrible here in Norcal.

I guess I've been lucky so far this year. I haven't gone below the low 40s yet. Last year I posted a pic of frost on my car one November 9th. I'm showing 34 on Thursday. I'll take it. I don't start to get worried until I see 29f. Good luck up there guys. I'm sure I'll get hit hard sooner or later.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Wunderground forecast is much more optimistic today than it was yesterday for Grover Beach, Friday being the coldest low at 34F. Accuweather not as favorable predicting near freezing temps Wednesday through Sunday.

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

I guess I've been lucky so far this year. I haven't gone below the low 40s yet. Last year I posted a pic of frost on my car one November 9th. I'm showing 34 on Thursday. I'll take it. I don't start to get worried until I see 29f. Good luck up there guys. I'm sure I'll get hit hard sooner or later.

They're showing 33F for Santa Cruz, I don't trust the forecasts given what I know about what some of the models are suggesting.

Love the cordylines ....how hardy are they....always assumed they were wimps.

We have had a nice warmup here...yesterday was beach weather. Looks like a repeat today. Got to go get a Christmas tree today.....hello December.

Cordyline australis is hardy to warm 8b, 15F will kill them to the ground. There are some hybrids only hardy to 9b but I don’t have any of those anymore.Very low maintenance plants they grow in cooler weather 65F-85F, they can take dryer high temps in the low 100F ( for short periods) but hate really hot humid tropical weather like FL. Think New Zealand weather.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone I’ll show some of my simple protection later when it all done and after this big cold spells leaves hopefully by next weekend. But hey! It’s going to be mostly sunny.

Woke up this morning to 15F above normal for the low last night and in two days it will be 15F below normal. :bemused: Hoping for the best for everyone on the west coast.

Edited by Palm crazy

Wunderground forecast is much more optimistic today than it was yesterday for Grover Beach, Friday being the coldest low at 34F. Accuweather not as favorable predicting near freezing temps Wednesday through Sunday.

Now a second hardcore arctic low is forecast to follow the track of the first one next Sunday, reinforcing the cold already here and prolonging the chance of freezes to last about a week.

This looks bad, reminds me of 1990.

Well looks like this arctic blast is going to last 7 nights and its already 29F @ 6pm. Last night low was 23F hight today 35F old man winter hitting hard.

Here some of my protection I put together at the last minute.

Most of the cordylines have some form of covering, but not all. Under the pink blanket is a baby JxB.

DSC00002_zps235242bc.jpg

My own tent city. I do not have anything that needs protection in the front yard.

DSC00017_zps905af88b.jpg

Washingtonia robusta. When this is all over I’m going to take care of those weeds.

DSC00034_zpsfbfbb44b.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Looks like the coldest night is going to be this weekend, mid teens predicted. Good news we finally got some cloud cover and it was 7 degrees warmer last night at 27F. Todays high is only supposed to be 31F, damage may be inedible this winter.

Kelly I hope your place is doing better. Saturday night the airport here will be around 10F, yikes!!!

Oh, hey, it was only -20F windchill this morning. . . stupid weather.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Oh, hey, it was only -20F windchill this morning. . . stupid weather.

I can’t even image what that would feel like thats to darn cold. LOL!

Why is it always the coldest right before it gets warmer…wind chills not that bad here but man is it bone chill’n cold out.

High today 32F. Clear tonight with strong winds. Burrr!

“A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.” - Carl Reiner

Edited by Palm crazy

Here is the newest weather and plant killing weather report for tonight and next week.

As of right now it is already 24F at 6:15pm, this one is going to be hard on the plants.

I noticed today the water feature is getting ice all over the top, its never done that before.

Low tonight 15F-17F. The only good new don’t have any snow.

... Coldest night since November 2010 expected tonight...

... Freezing drizzle possible over the interior lowlands on Tuesday
morning...

An intensely cold air mass is in place over western Washington.
With clear skies... dry air... and light wind tonight... low
temperatures will be in the teens... with the coldest outlying
locations flirting with single digit temperatures late tonight.

Weak onshore flow will kick in on Monday night... marking the
beginning of western Washington's transition away from the
modified Arctic air mass. As shallow Pacific moisture moves inland
on Monday night... there is a chance of light snow or freezing
drizzle on Tuesday morning for locations inland from the
coast... including the I-5 corridor from the Canadian border down
past Chehalis. ( I live 30 mile above Chehalis)

By Tuesday afternoon… lowland temperatures should
rise comfortably above freezing... ending any concerns related to
light snow or freezing drizzle. It should be emphasized that any
precipitation would be light... amounting to just a few hundredths
of an inch... but it only takes a little ice accumulation to make
roadways and sidewalks slippery and hazardous.

Edited by Palm crazy

:o:( sorry man.........sounds brutal at the other corner of the country.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

:o:( sorry man.........sounds brutal at the other corner of the country.

Thanks, I’m actually being a good sport about all this. Tree fern leaves are going to die back but thats ok because I have some small palms that could use the extra sunshine.

Not really worried about any tender palms since all of them are wrapped except for a small Livistona nitida I’m testing out.

Uncovered cordylines are going to have a tuff time tonight and tomorrow. By Tuesday I’ll be able to uncover and see what up or down. This cold spell is different this year it is so dry out there’s no frost, so I’m guessing that mean any damage will show up much faster.

Hope to take some pics when this is all over.

Glad to see your area is having nice weather.

Bummer.. not liking what I'm seeing/feeling

Hope everyone fares better than they expect

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

We got lucky in S. Louisiana. Warm gulf stopped it just miles short of us. Might not be so lucky next time.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sorry to hear about what is going on in the Pacific Northwest, I've been tracking the temps up there, simply brutal. I would not want to be in Portland right now, it's 16.5F as of 9:46PM. I've been feeling pretty miserable, but I guess it's all relative.

Still in the thick of it here. The lower elevation part of my garden is very wind sheltered, and it smells like lawn mower, only trouble is, I don't have a lawn. nastiest freeze here since 1998. All fresh growth on macademia got zapped, same with lucuma. Some more tender citrus showing slight frost damage as well. Passion vines got cooked, even Salvia leucantha is toast. Brugs got cooked as well. papayas cooked down there as well. According to the gauge it got down to 26.6F, it read low due to failing batteries, so my guess it was more like 28F. No point in assessing palm damage until we're back in the 60's and 70's, which should be in the latter part of the week. There's a copernicia bailayana out there in the cold, it will be interesting to see how it fares through this. Same with bismarckia, fully exposed. And a beccariophoenix alfredii, no protection whatsoever. We'll see how all of it will look when this crap all finally moves East.

Tonite, 34.7F as of 9:35PM, the Northwest onshore flow is too weak to affect the Santa Cruz mountains. Dew point is 26F. I can watch the temperature dropping under clear skies. Less than 2 miles away it's in the low to mid 40's thanks to the onshore flow. So it's gonna be more cold tonite. As I finish writing this, it's already down to 34.2F. Dropping like a rock as the winds are dissapearing.

Most years my garden fares better than surrounding areas, not this year, both the steep lapse rates and the air flow just didn't favor my garden. Chill hours are through the roof, my Anna apple will probably start blooming as soon as this cold spell is over.

If any of the experimental dypsis survive this crap, it will be nothing short of a miracle. Well, I am now an official member of the cold hardy IPS palm forum to say the least. I have a bunch of brahea and parajubaea as back ups to take their place because I was pretty sure this might happen.

Welcome to the 'club' Axel, and so far you have been lucky, cause low temps have not reached yet dew point! Then yo would realize how devastating frost on palm leaves is.Every information then about 'cold hardiness' would prove only theoretical.

Axel I hope things aren’t as bad as you think they are, plants are pretty resilient and alway surprise me when it gets this cold. Hopefully no spear pulls for you.

Good news it only got down to 16.3F last night and this morning the hummers were waiting for me to put the feeder out this morning. It now 23F at 8:30am and very dry. Tonight should be 5 degrees warmer or more as the winds will turn from North to West. Monday night I can take some of the protection off. Feeling a little better but theres going to be some damage I am sure when things warm up. I’ll have a full report later when the weather goes back to normal with pics of course in a few days. So far I don’t see any discolouration on my Acacia so thats a good sign.

My entire neigborhood has yards filled with ghosts. :) People got plenty of warning this would happen, and a lot of poeple covered things in their gardens.